Following Getting rid of Sky services Page 24

Next Last
  • Vice.Destroyer 21 Aug 2020 11:33:28 7,424 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have been without Sky since about March. I thought I would die, but I'm ok. Anybody else cut the cord?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 21 Aug 2020 11:39:08 23,001 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yup. 100% streaming now. Donít miss it.
  • Phattso 21 Aug 2020 11:48:18 27,313 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Probably 10 years since I had any sort of Sky/Virgin sub. Definitely haven't missed it - too much shite I never watched anyway.

Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV+ (until the free year runs out), and tactical Disney+ whenever they launch good things. Job done. Fraction of the cost.
  • Rum_Monkey 21 Aug 2020 11:51:35 3,335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd miss 4k football too much, I can't let go yet.
  • Nazo 21 Aug 2020 11:52:12 1,903 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We attached the cord last month as I can get it for free through work. The full works, all the channels.

We've hardly used it apart from a handful of on-demand things. Maybe when sports get going again it might be used more but there's no way I'd pay money for it.
  • Zerobob 21 Aug 2020 15:58:36 3,007 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A friend of mine game me a spare Sky Go login to watch the F1, but apart form that I barely ever watch it.

It's all absolute crap... Simpsons repeats, and reality TV shows masquerading as documentaries. It costs an unbelievable amount of money whilst still being subsidised by endless adverts.

I find it baffling that people still pay for it, but I assume it's because of Sky Sports.

The only thing worth watching is Silicon Valley, and I've already seen the whole series twice. Would highly recommend.
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2020 16:15:07 100,274 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yup. 100% streaming now. Donít miss it.
    Same here. But the trouble is, you end up with loads of subs. Still probably cheaper (and for more content) but it creeps up. Sports is the one big thing that needs fixing.
  • nickthegun 21 Aug 2020 16:38:42 87,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, I went full streaming a few years ago but ended up being a bit grandad about it and going back to sky.

Iíve got a few mates who release music and they drop stuff on soundcloud, beatport, mixcloud, bandcamp and all I really want is the Spotify link. I end up buying it to support them on one of the many services and not listening to it until they put it up on there because I canít really be doing with the convenience of half a dozen storefronts replacing just the one.

Same with sky. I watch the majority of my TV on sky and leave the movie channels on in the background most of the time. Their on demand stuff is pretty good and their content is great, so until someone finds a way of collating streaming services through one portal* Iím sticking with it.

*i know amazon are trying to do that but their UI is shocking

Edited by nickthegun at 16:38:57 21-08-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Aug 2020 17:28:07 19,729 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Weíre not missing Sky at all but Iím keen to cut the cord on more of our streaming services eventually as at one point we had basically everything so weíre saving nothing
  • Nitrous 21 Aug 2020 22:59:08 2,285 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Started with Virgin Media a few years ago and ring up each year to get a deal but it's now at my own personal limit of £60 a month. The £78 they wanted was ridiculous.

If it wasn't for Btsport for Moto GP and Eurosport for superbikes I'd probably be less inclined to pay. The fact I work most weekends means I record most of the racing. My only alternative is BT to get a similar package but the broadband options might be a step back.

Don't sub to Netflix or any other streaming service though.
  • muddyyfunster 22 Aug 2020 00:17:29 1,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We were prepared to quit but renewed as we got a decent deal that also upgraded us to the latest HDR Sky Q box. Actually very impressed with the new interface and it all 'just works'. Still need to add HDR to Netflix and some other apps but otherwise, it's very slick.

I can understand people walking away right now, you have to really haggle to get anything that represents value for money. Sky do take the piss about with their standard renewal offers

Other than sport we never watch live TV anymore. However a good DVR is still required and for us it's worth the Sky premium for the 4k F1, and box sets. We also regularly watch Amazon Prime and Netflix so perhaps I'm a mug, but honestly, a lot of the best tv I've watched recently has as been via Sky (Succession, The Wire, Deadwood, Game of Thrones, Curb your Enthusiasm, Watchmen, The Leftovers).

I think if/when they lose the F1, that'll be the time to switch to a Now TV sub instead.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 00:18:27 22-08-2020
  • Deleted user 22 August 2020 12:11:45
    Cut it 7 years ago. Haven't looked back.

Have Netflix, Amazon and Disney (latter will only be for a year. That is devoid of content after about the first month of use, although my six year old obviously loves it. He can be happy with Netflix though).

I used to watch sport I wasn't overly interested in, just because it was on/available, and loads of movies for the same reason. I've got more time to do other stuff, really enjoy a lot of the Netflix content, and don't really mind watching film 18m after release. I'm OK with that.

Miss some of the sport (mainly football and cricket) and don't use streams as I'm nervous of a virus infected machine afterwards, but I can deal with that.

£45 a month saved. Which is probably north of £60 now as they were already getting stupidly greedy when we left.
  • Blackmarsh63 22 Aug 2020 14:00:04 4,420 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @muddyyfunster I'll do the same when Sky lose the Football/Golf/Cricket and Darts and Sky Atlantic loose all the HBO stuff. So probably never :)
  • Deleted user 22 August 2020 15:26:13
    I haven't had a tv service / licence or landline for about 10 years and don't miss it. Broadband and a mobile phone does me. I jump in for a month of Netflix a couple of times a year and watch what I want. My golden rule is never to have two subs of the same service type going at the same time. I believe rv streaming is best for subbing occasionally rather than on an ongoing monthly basis.
  • gammonbanter 24 Aug 2020 09:42:37 2,278 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I haven't had a tv service / licence or landline for about 10 years and don't miss it. Broadband and a mobile phone does me. I jump in for a month of Netflix a couple of times a year and watch what I want. My golden rule is never to have two subs of the same service type going at the same time. I believe rv streaming is best for subbing occasionally rather than on an ongoing monthly basis.
    This is the key to it all, requires a bit of thought / management, so most people won't be up for it! I think streaming services are scared of people doing this though and we might see good value 'yearly' packages as a result
  • muddyyfunster 24 Aug 2020 10:35:37 1,276 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At the risk of sounding like a Sky employee: for those not aware you can move your Netflix sub across and be billed through Sky which should save you quite a bit.

I'm paying £4 a month for Netflix UHD via Sky after doing a bit of haggling). Nothing changes on Netflix side, same account, same privileges, can use on all devices etc.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.