e-Book Reader

• twelveways 16 Apr 2014 12:48:53 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hi,

I have received a load of ebooks (boring work related stuff), formats are different, mainly pdf and epub.

Can I use these on a Kindle or do they only use their own format?

I don't have any kind of reader (except for my phone apps which I don't like reading on) and am thinking of getting one but I don't want to be stuck with one that I can only read books in a certain format downloaded from a certain place (I live in China and I'm not even sure of the availability of Amazon books). I know the Kindle is popular but is it the best?

Cheers for any input.
  • Dougs 16 Apr 2014 12:58:01 95,483 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    You can use a prog called Calibre to convert to mobi, which the Kindle reads....
  • twelveways 16 Apr 2014 13:01:48 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cheers :)

Can I add books to the reader through a usb like with an mp3 player etc?
  • pauleyc 16 Apr 2014 13:08:06 4,548 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yes, Calibre supports a variety of transfer methods, for instance through USB to a reader's internal memory or SD card (if available). However, as far as I know it won't convert PDFs to mobi/epub formats. edit: FWIW, have a look at the FAQ. PDF conversion is listed as possible yet apparently the results aren't always acceptable; I know they didn't really work for my ancient PocketBook 360. Then again, my wife's Sony PRS-T1 managed to display PDFs properly.

The Kindle readers are technically quite good (the Paperwhite has a supposedly very good illumination built in), same as the Sony Reader family though for obvious reasons Amazon's selection of books is unrivaled.

Edited by pauleyc at 13:10:48 16-04-2014

Edited by pauleyc at 13:11:56 16-04-2014
  • twelveways 16 Apr 2014 13:13:56 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Good info, cheers!
  • RyanDS 31 Jul 2014 08:24:09 13,326 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Sony Reader has been playing up a bit lately, so decided to buy a new e-reader, and decided on the Kindle Paperwhite.

110 everywhere, but when food shopping yesterday I saw that in Tescos they are currently on sale for 100. Took it to the till, picked up a case at the same tim. Turned out you get 10 off a case when you buy a Kindle, and the case was only 2.50 (for a nice leather one) so the guy gave me an extra tenner off the kindle instead.

So 92.50 for a Kindle plus case, bargain.

TL:DR version - If you want a Kindle get to Tescos, by far the cheapest I have seen anywhere.
  • Kill_Crazy 6 Aug 2014 01:12:04 2,552 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Good to know as my kindle has got quite a few cracks in it now and keep thinking of getting a new one. I'll get my mate to buy it as he gets staff discount too :-)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.