Bloodborne Page 722

• AaronTurner 15 May 2019 12:05:12 10,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I got to the nightmare frontier very early on I think. I killed a couple of hunters and then got one shot by a big mutant and didn't bother going back, I think I was very underlevelled. In fact I finished the game at level 54 or something. Not sure what upper cathedral ward is, anything memorable?
  • AaronTurner 15 May 2019 12:07:45 10,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh and the ending, the guy in the wheelchair offered to end my existence and by that point I happily gave it up.
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 12:09:47 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lol good choice..the alternative, first time, was NAILS!!

Just re downloading this now. :)
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 12:19:47 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner Farewell, good hunter, may you find your worth in the waking world.

Worth noting you've done a pretty minimal playthrough there. You've missed some impressive optional areas, all the challenge dungeons and the trickier ending paths.
  • AaronTurner 15 May 2019 12:25:01 10,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Perhaps, but I just played through it logically and to be honest even then it outstayed it's welcome. The last few areas all had bullshit mechanics in them that completely destroyed any interest I had in continuing. I just think they made unnecessary changes to a winning formula.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 12:43:31 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Perhaps, but I just played through it logically and to be honest even then it outstayed it's welcome. The last few areas all had bullshit mechanics in them that completely destroyed any interest I had in continuing. I just think they made unnecessary changes to a winning formula.
    Thing is, much as I love the Dark Souls formula, I suspect by Dark Souls 3, it was reaching its limits. A lot of DS3 felt like a bit of a "greatest hits" compilation. There weren't many new ideas in there and many of the bosses felt like re-skins.

I think Bloodborne was a worthy attempt to adapt the formula into something a bit different. I don't like its combat quite as much as that in the Souls games, but Yarnham is a fantastic setting - among the very best of all in gaming.

Pity that Sekiro felt like such a mis-step. A new From Software game that tried to spin off the formula in a different direction, rather than just going even further down the Bloodborne-style hyper-aggression route (and with boring world design to boot) could have been wonderful.
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 12:46:38 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cough cough..Seiko is utterly amazing. 10/10 and easily the best combat from software has done .
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 12:53:47 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @AaronTurner Yeah you've missed a good chunk of game content from the sounds of things but if you weren't enjoying it then there's no point in seeing it. Not often someone bounces off Bloodborne!
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 12:54:50 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See I could play BB and Souls all day long. But I don't see myself going back to Sekiro.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 12:56:40 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Oh, I know a few people who bounced off Bloodborne. It took me four hours to get to the Cleric Beast and get the ability to level up. I can tell you now that at the 3h45m point, I was damned close to bouncing off it and trading it in.

Very glad I didn't.
  • AaronTurner 15 May 2019 13:03:12 10,846 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @wuntyphyve Oh, I know a few people who bounced off Bloodborne. It took me four hours to get to the Cleric Beast and get the ability to level up. I can tell you now that at the 3h45m point, I was damned close to bouncing off it and trading it in.

Very glad I didn't.
    That's another thing that's weird about the game, why make the first quarter of the game the hardest part? None of the latter parts are as difficult, it doesn't make sense.

Along with the worst camera in all souls games, the invisible spear throwers, the regenerating enemies, no resting at lanterns (I mean, why??), crap healing system, samey locations... Don't get me wrong, there are things to enjoy in there, including the lore, but too many of the worst elements of the souls games have made it into large portions of the game.

I did much prefer the simplified attributes, stripping out the nonsense in souls games. I still much prefer DS3 which has similar frenetic pace but, for me, a much better game overall.
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 13:17:30 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oooft. BB shits all over DS3.

But don't listen to me. My opinions are...divisive.

To be fair, any soulsborne game is hard at first then tails off. I coasted through the second half DS1 in my first playthrough for example. And there's as much shit design in any of Froms other games. There are always going to be bits in there that piss you off. The locations being "samey" are fine as it's what the game is. It has a very definite sense of place and I think it had to be that cohesive in terms of aesthetic.

The regenerating enemies are no worse than the Skellies in the catacombs in DS1, or the infinite respawing zombie maggot fuckers in DS3.

Invisible spear throwers? Are you thinking of Frenzy?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 13:17:31 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Cough cough..Seiko is utterly amazing. 10/10 and easily the best combat from software has done .
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 13:18:26 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Oooft. BB shits all over DS3.

But don't listen to me. My opinions are wrong
    Dont sell yourself short Wunty, only your opinion on DS2 is wrong. BB does indeed shit over DS3 and i do love that game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2019 13:23:07 5,708 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The sense of place thing really was fundamental to Bloodborne. I said above that I think Yarnham is one of the best location in all of gaming and I meant it. It is a better encapsulation of the essence of Lovecraft's decaying New England cities than I had ever thought possible.

It does have a more limited palette than the Souls games. It doesn't lend itself to the "ice level", "fire level" approach. But I never found myself getting bored of it.
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 13:23:57 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The fight with OoK on the sandy beach next to its dead mother, that was a beautiful location.
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 15:21:49 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I loved the fact you could see the ship masts from the fishing village as early as the Nightmare Frontier. Pretty sure (this was before the DLC) came out, me and rob were co-opping and we started remarking on it, wondering what the significance was.

Quite a lot as it happened.
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 15:39:13 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 Ha, thanks man... I think?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 15:40:17 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I loved the fact you could see the ship masts from the fishing village as early as the Nightmare Frontier. Pretty sure (this was before the DLC) came out, me and rob were co-opping and we started remarking on it, wondering what the significance was.

Quite a lot as it happened.
    This
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 18:10:08 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Think it's time for a 4th re roll!!! Joining the vile bloods this time.

So I've done a pure strength, a pure skill, a mix and one where I could use all the stuff like the beast claw and the eye ball thing.

Are they any other builds I haven't tried?
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 18:12:10 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Think it's time for a 4th re roll!!! Joining the vile bloods this time.

So I've done a pure strength, a pure skill, a mix and one where I could use all the stuff like the beast claw and the eye ball thing.

Are they any other builds I haven't tried?
    Do a whirly gig build
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 18:28:46 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And what's that?
  • wuntyphyve 15 May 2019 18:56:38 12,122 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I actually used a fire whirlygig with my arcane build. It was devastating.
  • Graxlar_v3 15 May 2019 20:26:18 6,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bichii a weapon, and the peak of fromsofts design
  • Joyless_Man 15 May 2019 20:30:07 142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Don't know if you guys have heard of this TPR dude but if you want some chilled music to listen to this album is great. All from the dark souls series.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1hcxznXX8vhdcPyPt3xFCz?si=kQuKjqz1SpOQB1hGs87DIw

Got loads of video game music (loads of final fantasy). Saw this today and thought you lot might appreciate.
  • bone-on 15 May 2019 20:35:56 270 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sold my PS4 many moons ago?

What are the chances of a steam version of this?? Would be all over it if it happened
  • Joyless_Man 15 May 2019 20:41:28 142 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    Next to zero I think. Tied up in exclusivity deals like demon's souls.
  • Bichii 15 May 2019 23:02:59 1,666 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Where do I get the whirl from? Is it a dlc weapon?
  • puddleduck 15 May 2019 23:23:18 1,886 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Bichii

Yep fairly early on in the DLC.
  • Nanocrystal 16 May 2019 06:43:58 1,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    [Bloodborne has] the worst camera in all souls games
    Sekiro's camera was way worse!! Atrocious in fact. Basically any time you went close to a wall it would spaz out and you'd lose your lock-on. Mostly this would happen at crucial moments during boss fights.

Sadly, like wunty I've little inclination to go back to Sekiro. Probably will for the DLC I guess.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.