Following Bloodborne Page 724

• Bichii 15 Mar 2020 22:27:30 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wet nurse is so easy Vs all the other late bosses. First time with one vial used.
  • Bichii 16 Mar 2020 00:10:00 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nope, I can't do it, never could. Actually beat the opening area of the old hunter dlc. I just have to run through it, all the old hunters destroy me over and over and over. Sure I best one or two but eventually I die so I just get pissed off and run through it. I just tried again and all it does is piss me off how ridiculous it is, each hunter is basically a boss. Even my parry attacks do like 15% damage. :/ That's with a +10 weapon and 45 strength. Stupid shit.
  • Ddanno 16 Mar 2020 06:48:16 1,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I generally do the same, their damage output is too high and echoes too low to be worth while. And taking 1/4th of your health to a goddamn blunderbuss is infuriating.
  • Samildanach 18 May 2020 23:34:41 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just started this beauty for the first time. Having so far played and utterly loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls I & II, I have high hopes for this one.

My character, Jon Shannow rocking saw blade and pistol, has so far blundered around the first area. The wandering hunter chaps are no trouble, nor are (surprisingly) the dog things. Got deaded by some big boy in an alley near the start, I'll leave him be for now; as well as another brick toting giant banging on a door.
    Very narrow escape from the werewolf pair on the bridge and finally made it through a creepy dark house before opening up a short cut thank the gods. Was about to leave it there, but curiosity killed the cat as they say and I carried on, back through the house, molotoved the ogre and his pet birds before being absolutely mullered by the Cleric Beast. Thankfully it looks like a short run back to it so it should be lots of fun learning his moves while dying 20 times. Love it! (Really)
  • Gibroon 18 May 2020 23:42:03 2,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ah the joys of a first run through of a classic game. One of my all time favorites. My tip would be get used to gun parrys, one of the easier soulsbornes to get it right.
  • Ddanno 18 May 2020 23:46:00 1,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Save those molotovs
  • Samildanach 19 May 2020 00:17:14 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I won't be shit at parrying unlike in the previous 3 souls games...

The Molotovs do seem rather powerful, I'll restrain myself for now!
  • wuntyate 19 May 2020 00:20:57 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If there's a game i wished i could experience for the first time all over again, it's this.
  • Ddanno 19 May 2020 00:37:57 1,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. Maybe I won't be shit at parrying unlike in the previous 3 souls games...

The Molotovs do seem rather powerful, I'll restrain myself for now!
    They're powerful against beasts, like the werewolves. It's worth holding onto a couple for now...
  • Ddanno 19 May 2020 00:39:12 1,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    If there's a game i wished i could experience for the first time all over again, it's this.
    I'd Eternal Sunshine for Dark Souls in a heartbeat, but this would be a very close second.
  • wuntyate 19 May 2020 00:43:41 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    See my instinct is dark souls but i think this just pips it. Something about the likes of yahaaaargul or seeing the big amys for the first time.

Ideally I'd just wipe all soulsborne and experience them all again.

Apart from sekiro. That can wait outside.
  • Ddanno 19 May 2020 00:55:08 1,598 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

Ideally I'd just wipe all soulsborne and experience them all again.

Apart from sekiro. That can wait outside.
    Yes. All of this.

I'd still go Dark Souls over BB. The exploration is a cut above anything else. That happy brain jolt when you reach the top/bottom of an elevator/tunnel, realise where you are, stop for a second and think 'yeah... of course it connects here' is something I haven't found in any other game
  • wuntyate 19 May 2020 01:06:42 14,949 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True. That undead parish shortcut blew my tiny mind.
  • Nanocrystal 19 May 2020 01:37:44 2,133 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Surge had impressive shortcuts that recreated that feeling too (YMMV on the quality of the game compared to From's games of course).
  • Samildanach 19 May 2020 13:25:43 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    True. That undead parish shortcut blew my tiny mind.
    Same here, especially as I hadn't found the bonfire in the ruined tower (because some bastard had put down a sign warning me not to go there). Far from the last bonfire, out of estus and far too many souls in the bank, as I descended that long elevator I thought, 'Oh God, is there no mercy?' stepped into Firelink and.. I think I laughed out loud in pure joy!
  • nickthegun 19 May 2020 13:30:15 82,363 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    The Surge had impressive shortcuts that recreated that feeling too (YMMV on the quality of the game compared to From's games of course).
    The Surge 2 took it to an almost ridiculous extreme. For a game without a mini-map, having half a dozen ways to get into every area was just overkill.
  • Steve-Perry 19 May 2020 13:56:45 1,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Got about 1/3 into the surge and just got bored. Not enough in the combat or the setting to keep me entertained.

Started out novel enough but couldn't be arsed.
  • nickthegun 19 May 2020 13:59:42 82,363 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The second one is much, much better in every department.
  • Samildanach 20 May 2020 20:16:32 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well round two last night got me skulking round the streets of Yahnum, including a dry dock. I managed to open a couple of other shortcuts of varying usefulness and only died twice. First time was at the bottom of the dock where there seemed to be a lot of dead bodies. "I bet they'll come to life" I thought before jumping down. So they came to life and I panicked and died.
    Second time was Cleric Beast attempt round two. Chipping away at his health, I thought I had got the measure of him, until his moveset changed and I panicked and died. The damage I was doing was pitiful, should I upgrade Stength or Skill? I like playing Souls games as an agile build rather than a slow but strong type, so I am guessing Skill?
  • Nanocrystal 20 May 2020 23:43:47 2,133 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Samildanach Even pure strength builds play at a much faster pace than in the Souls games, and the strength based weapons in BB are more fun and interesting than the skill ones IMO. But if you're still at an early stage, why not level up your vitality for now until you find a weapon you really like? On my last playthrough I went pure bloodtinge which was brilliant fun but you only find the best bloodtinge weapons quite late in the game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 00:06:51 9,028 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Those PC port rumours doing the rounds for the last 48 hours are bullshit, right? We've been here so many times before.

Oh but the thought of a 4k/60fps version of Bloodborne...
  • Samildanach 21 May 2020 14:08:32 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Nanocrystal
    Fun Weapons sound good to me. Having said that, I'll probably level up everything fairly evenly like I do in souls. It gave me the chance to try out everything, even if I did end up a Jack of all trades and master of none.

Day 3 in Bloodborne last night and Central Yharnam is fully explored. Cleric Beast down on third try, it was getting pretty necky by the end, but just scraped through. I think I was level 14 with a +2 Saw blade. Father Gascoigne is a little harder but I am getting a bit further each time. Third try and I thought I had it in the bag, until he transformed and I naturally panicked and died.
    Might see if I can get my revenge on the Executioner dude near the start tonight if I get the chance.
  • Samildanach 22 May 2020 18:34:09 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Short go last night and got the Executioner without further deaths. Father Gascoigne however, is kicking my sorry arse. Seven deaths so far but always a lot of fun. Cleric Beast was more like Dark Souls 1 & 2 bosses in the way he attacks, so I felt at home there. This madman is relentless, I haven't yet got to grips with the fact that he continues to punish you when you are knocked down. I forget to dodge at that point as I'm sure Dark Souls gives you a small bit of invulnerability. I've got to unlearn the expected brief reprieve that doesn't happen.
    Also, I'm shit at gun parrying anything but his first, short axe, form.
    Tldr. I suck at Bloodborne
  • Bichii 22 May 2020 18:40:01 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Samildanach there is an item you may have that stuns him upto three times. Also the gun parry works well on his first form..
  • Gibroon 22 May 2020 18:40:03 2,308 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There is an item you can get that helps with a fight a bit. Have you spoken to any of the doors with lamps outside? Should be a girl you can do a small quest for.

Also use one of the larger indestructible tombs to circle around to give you a bit of cover while healing.
  • Samildanach 22 May 2020 20:38:01 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ok thanks guys. I think you mean the music box yes? Interesting.
  • Samildanach 28 May 2020 22:19:21 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A bit more progress after I finally beat Gascoigne. I have stumbled into old Yharnam as there seemed to be nowhere to go in Cathedral Ward and there has been a few hints that it is the next destination. The enemies seem doable but I have had some very close calls when swarmed. The hostile npc is down as well as a fricking whole church of the beast things. Shat myself when the beast burst out if that tower, but at least a nice shortcuts has been opened up as I was getting very twitchy at that point. I'm guessing it is about to be boss time.... I'm going to get punished again aren't I?
  • Bichii 28 May 2020 22:30:10 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There's another item to help you with the old yharnam boss ;). That boss is kinda optional, so is old yharnam. Cathedral ward is the main progression area for you now but old yharnam is well worth it.
  • Samildanach 29 May 2020 12:14:00 345 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Bichii
    It's a great fun area. Got to the Bloodletting Beast and had three goes so far. As is a recurring theme so far, I thought I had it in the bag, rolling twice to get behind it before a quick hit or two, that is until it's third phase where it seems to be spewing poison like mad (was getting tricky in phase 2 anyway) and I got distracted trying to watch/cure the poison and dodging at the same time. Time to look through my items to see what can help.

Edited by Samildanach at 12:14:30 29-05-2020
  • Mr_Sleep 29 May 2020 14:34:50 23,457 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Fire! Duh duh duh.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.