Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You did the right thing, it just turned out the wrong way
  • Samildanach 17 Jul 2020 19:48:40 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    You did the right thing, it just turned out the wrong way
    That's good to know. I didn't want to send him to the church with the other npcs in the probable likelihood that he was this game's Yurt. I have previously spoiled myself about the clinic and despite it being a fitting place for him, I do like having a fight to the death with npcs when their quest line/usefulness is finished, as I have had some fun and unique battles in the Souls games. The smith in Dark Souls being a particularly good one where we had an epic fist fight to (my) death.
  • Samildanach 22 Jul 2020 00:25:25 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ugh. The beast I mentioned above is kicking my arse (I gather it is called the Abhorrent Beast from the wise old internet). Is he much tougher to beat legit compared to the actual boss of the Forbidden Woods? Am I better off retuning at a later date, or am I just going to have to up my game as it doesn't get easier with the boss?
  • Fonzie 22 Jul 2020 00:53:28 3,445 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    Ugh. The beast I mentioned above is kicking my arse (I gather it is called the Abhorrent Beast from the wise old internet). Is he much tougher to beat legit compared to the actual boss of the Forbidden Woods? Am I better off retuning at a later date, or am I just going to have to up my game as it doesn't get easier with the boss?
    If you are fighting him in the forbidden woods, he can be cheesed. You can go back through the door back into the building and he can't follow. You can then poison him quite easily with about 3 poison knives. That will deplete just under half his health. Repeat until dead.

You also could have just spoke to him and sent him somewhere safe.
  • wuntyate 22 Jul 2020 00:57:43 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He gives me nightmares.
  • Samildanach 22 Jul 2020 08:10:04 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Fonzie
    That would certainly make for an easy win, but I wouldn't feel that I had truly beaten him. I need to go toe to toe, learn his moves and how to dodge them, then I can consider him beaten. Foolish standard certainly, and I was wondering if attempting such a thing with my Level of about 49 and saw blade +5 is doing it a little underpowered. It seems the right level for a balanced journey through the Forbidden Woods, but he seems to be quite a difficulty spike due to how relentless he is compared to the bosses so far.

Edited by Samildanach at 08:10:28 22-07-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 22 Jul 2020 08:38:37 16,072 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iíve just started so Iím super rusty at games you need to be properly good at but hearing I can cheese is a bonus. I cheesed Dark Souls like I was MK9 Shao Khan
  • Samildanach 25 Jul 2020 22:45:11 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So the Forbidden Woods is thoroughly explored and got my first meeting with the Shadows of Yharnam. They got me, but I can tell this is going to be another great boss battle. The way they walk out of the mist was very Nazgul-like, but add the creepy snakes and you have some great baddies.
    Unlike the Abhorrent Beast, there are more reasonable pauses between their attacks, so despite not getting that far, they seem doable.
    As for the Abhorrent Beast on the other hand, after another series of failed attempts, I may have to cheese him after all.. I gather he is a proper boss in the Chalice Dungeons later on, so I'll get my chance to fight him legitimately. The windmill area of the Forbidden Woods one is a tricky area, and I have died multiple times getting trapped against the woodwork on the wall.

Edited by Samildanach at 22:45:37 25-07-2020
  • Samildanach 30 Jul 2020 01:28:26 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First visit to the Hintertomb, and I am doing quite well until an utter lunatic attacks, I start running like a motherfucker and he keeps coming! Half way home and I'm dead. I thought I had got the measure of the game and that thing just schooled me.

Anyway, making my way carefully back to my pool of blood with a careful plan how to approach him in his big room later and JESUS CHRIST he is right there where he chased me to!!! It is fair to say I shat myself. All enemy rules have gone right out the window.

I somehow see him off with a lucky interrupt and make it to the lever he was guarding. The path back to the Lantern is safe as I cleared out all the enemies. Some lumpy thing seems to be up ahead though, I don't remember.... HOLY SHITTING FUCK some creature that looks like it stepped out of the Ring films is coming after me now! I leg it and can hear it following RIGHT BEHIND ME, the terror has reached first time playing Tower of Latria proportions, but I make it out. I don't go back that way. Bravo Fromsoft. Bravo!

Edited by Samildanach at 01:29:19 30-07-2020
  • Ddanno 30 Jul 2020 11:50:11 1,759 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ohhh ho ho ho, the Madmen. Enjoy!
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 11:52:45 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, Possibly the most unsettling and downright pant-wetting enemy I've ever encountered in a game. I utterly hate / love those bastards.

Think they're labyrinth sages or something.

Edited by wuntyate at 11:54:36 30-07-2020
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 11:58:11 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This rushing towards you screaming is the stuff of nightmares.

• quadfather 30 Jul 2020 12:41:52 37,939 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't even remember them?
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 12:53:35 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you do much chalice dungeoning?
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2020 12:54:35 37,939 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah is that where they are. I did some, but only up to Pthuymeermmart. The one you get from the Amygdala boss.

They not in the main game then?
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 13:24:25 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope. Quite a few unique enemies and bosses down in them there dungeons. The pthumeringaling, hintertomb, loran and isz. Some right nasty fuckers. But those sages are probably the worst. Bowel loosening.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2020 13:27:27 37,939 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe I should load it up again and see where my characters are. Absolutely no fucking idea tbh :)
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 13:41:50 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm actually tempted to take a quick foray down there. It's been a while.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2020 13:48:43 37,939 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is that a good idea?
  • Rodderz 30 Jul 2020 13:59:11 4,393 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

It has been so long since I played BB I can't remember them. I explored quite a bit in the chalice dungeons, so I probably did encounter them but can't recall an encounter. I never did the dlc for BB either, so should probably rectify that at some point.

But yeah that pic, nightmare fuel. Just look at that face, look at the horror and despair on that bloody face, it's cold black eyes. You can see it's known suffering... /shudders
  • docrob 30 Jul 2020 14:14:44 1,720 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    So the Forbidden Woods is thoroughly explored and got my first meeting with the Shadows of Yharnam. They got me, but I can tell this is going to be another great boss battle. The way they walk out of the mist was very Nazgul-like, but add the creepy snakes and you have some great baddies.
    Unlike the Abhorrent Beast, there are more reasonable pauses between their attacks, so despite not getting that far, they seem doable.
    As for the Abhorrent Beast on the other hand, after another series of failed attempts, I may have to cheese him after all.. I gather he is a proper boss in the Chalice Dungeons later on, so I'll get my chance to fight him legitimately. The windmill area of the Forbidden Woods one is a tricky area, and I have died multiple times getting trapped against the woodwork on the wall.
    Ah, the Shadows. They ruined my playthrough. Died so many times to them that I binned the whole thing.
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 14:30:57 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Is that a good idea?
    Probably not.
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 14:31:37 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz Even worse are the ones that smack you with a corpse they are carrying. A corpse that occasionally moves of it's own accord...
  • Samildanach 30 Jul 2020 14:40:09 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:

Yeah that's the one. Terrifying.
    The other 'thing' was a Bloodlicker apparently:
    https://www.bloodborne-wiki.com/2015/04/bloodlicker.html?m=1
    Very mean of it to surprise me with both, one after another.
  • Samildanach 30 Jul 2020 14:43:11 523 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @docrob
    Yeah, I haven't beaten them yet. I can take down the one with the tonitus, but the others two then slice and dice me, hence why I did a bid of Chalice Dungeoning as a break. You heard how well that went!
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 14:46:39 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Samildanach Ooooh yeah bloodlickers spawn on corpses in the dungeon. So always watch out when you're going back through an area you think you've cleared.
  • quadfather 30 Jul 2020 15:09:35 37,939 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I remember them being complete twatbags
  • Rodderz 30 Jul 2020 15:12:18 4,393 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @Rodderz Even worse are the ones that smack you with a corpse they are carrying. A corpse that occasionally moves of it's own accord...
    That rings a bell actually (preferably not a Chime Maiden bell).
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 19:31:05 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloody hell I've very much forgotten how to play this.
  • wuntyate 30 Jul 2020 19:45:29 16,198 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ddanno wrote:
    Ohhh ho ho ho, the Madmen. Enjoy!
    I stand corrected. The wiki calls them sages but after checking my book, they are indeed labyrinth madmen. More apt!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.