• Samildanach 14 Nov 2020 12:47:37 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Nanocrystal
    OK thanks, will try that.
  • EMarkM 14 Nov 2020 12:52:41 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, I'm still piss-balling about in the very first area of this, and I'm just not feeling it somehow. My Dark Souls run was so special that I was hoping to recreate it here.

Has anyone got any "wish I'd known" advice for a complete beginner at this game (who will possibly start from scratch) that are dedicated to getting some enjoyment out of the early areas?

I guess I just don't have my head around it - I've spoken to the lady behind the locked door, the first monster chappy and a few "humans" seem to be permanently (?) down and I'm wandering around the town where the group walks past carrying torches or whatever they're doing.

The next few days will be make-or-break for me on this, as hopefully it won't be long before I manage to get the new Xbox and I will no doubt move on at that point.

Cheers! :)

Edited by EMarkM at 12:54:45 14-11-2020
  • Bichii 14 Nov 2020 13:16:16 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Its maybe their best game. It just hasn't clicked yet :). Be aggressive. Use you gun a lot to parry. Especially at the start when it's easier to get the timings of the gun parry. Just practice that and you can stab yourself to get more bullets. When you take damage it's often better to then go on the attack to get free healing rather then use your precious blood vials. Strength is probably the easiest first run. Several tough enemies become trivial when you get that gun parry down. Practice your switch combos as there as some juicy high damage combos you can do using your trick weapon.

To critical attack an enemy you need to hit them from behind with a charged R2 attack. Something I did not know for my entire first play through!

Edited by Bichii at 13:19:44 14-11-2020
  • EMarkM 14 Nov 2020 13:22:44 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii Brilliant, thanks so much. I'll try to bear those in mind. I think I WILL start a new character to try and get into it properly from the start.

Unfortunately, the eight year old has just nicked the PS4 to play Minecraft on, so I'll have to wait!

Thanks again, though - much appreciated :)
  • quadfather 14 Nov 2020 13:49:40 37,655 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @EMarkM

Run around like a loon more. It's a different dance to dark souls. Souls is like a waltz, BB is more like funk.
  • EMarkM 14 Nov 2020 13:59:04 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @EMarkM

Run around like a loon more. It's a different dance to dark souls. Souls is like a waltz, BB is more like funk.
    Heh! Cool - brilliant way of putting it!
  • Samildanach 15 Nov 2020 01:08:15 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At last!!! After probably 100 attempts Ludwig is finally down. By far the hardest boss in Bloodborne yet. It rivals Fume, Ivory, Manus and O&S as toughest to beat in the Fromsoft games. Luckily he was the hardest in Bloodborne. Definitely nothing more difficult coming up I'm sure.
  • Ddanno 15 Nov 2020 01:49:05 1,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh this should be good.
  • Bichii 15 Nov 2020 03:25:17 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Samildanach wrote:
    . Definitely nothing more difficult coming up I'm sure.
    Mwahahahahaha
  • EMarkM 15 Nov 2020 14:46:39 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well, as a couple of you may have spotted, I rerolled last night and had another go.

I'm still in the starting area, with a Military Vet class, or whatever it is, but I haven't used any blood vials yet and believe I've not "wasted" anything so far.

Let's see how far I get before the new Xbox is sourced :D
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 14:54:56 37,655 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @EMarkM

Get that funk routine pumping!
  • retro74 15 Nov 2020 16:07:09 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @EMarkM The start of Bloodborne is as brutal as it gets for me. Until you've beat the first 'boss' it's really tough

The key is to not be discouraged, everyone went through it and it gets much easier once you can develop your character
  • EMarkM 15 Nov 2020 16:32:31 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @EMarkM

Get that funk routine pumping!
    :D
  • EMarkM 15 Nov 2020 16:32:53 5,344 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @retro74 Cheers mate - I'm going to throw myself at it for a bit :)
  • retro74 15 Nov 2020 17:08:27 3,463 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hopefully you'll get into it as once you're hooked it's an incredible game

The start of the game is almost like a 'gauntlet of strength' test where you can only move on once you've learnt the combat properly

However it is possible to sprint past nearly everyone and open up a little shortcut to makes things a bit easier
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 17:30:16 37,655 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It is a bit weird at the start if you're of souls origin. Takes a bit to get used to the difference of the gun parry as opposed to the shield. But it does click, and it's awesome after that.

Try and get into an agile / aggressive angle on it and you'll start to see how it works.

Edited by quadfather at 17:31:21 15-11-2020
  • Kangoo 15 Nov 2020 20:38:12 1,416 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    After having the goty version downloaded for nearly 5 years, finally decided to give this a go last month after being impressed by Demons Souls PS5 videos.

The beginning was brutal but felt fair and it got its hooks into me from the start. Learning the mechanics and progressing felt massively rewarding as well as opening up shortcuts and finding secrets.

However, I have never played another game that gives such an adrenaline rush when you down a boss, especially one that seemed impossible when you first saw them. Some of them really live with you and I found myself thinking about them hours after defeating them.

The Old Hunters felt like a massive step up in diffiiculty, however Maria was definitely my favourite fight in the game. Does the main game or dlc represent the typical difficulty of the other souls games?

A couple of small niggles stop it being perfect. You should never have to look up how to equip a weapon, where your stored items are kept at the hunters dream etc. and there were some disappointing bosses like the pthumerian Queen who I first timed after the pthumerian descendant and blood letting beast constantly kicked my ass before I got to her in the same dungeon.

Still, what a way to end a generation and a hard earned platinum trophy to boot. Definitely a 9.5/10 for me, can't wait to pick up Demons Souls soon.
  • Samildanach 15 Nov 2020 22:02:13 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Kangoo
    Nice work on Platinuming Bloodborne. Having been recently repeatedly brutalised by Ludwig, I can safely say that the Souls games are no harder. In fact the first game is arguably easiest of the whole lot. Give it a go, they are all just as rewarding.
  • Samildanach 21 Nov 2020 22:05:14 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some further progress. Research Hall has been fully explored. Yet another superb area, this dlc is outstanding. In fact, there isn't a weak area in the whole game, truly quality over quantity.

Anyway, Living Failures took a few goes but they eventually crumbled to my trusty Ludwig blade. Met the REAL boss of the level and its a corker. Lady Maria reminds me of Sir Alonne in her speed and style. Thank God the lantern is just outside her room and you are not made to go through the shittest area in the whole of Soulsborne, unlike Alonne. Managed to eventually get her to her third phase where she making massive sword swishes of blood AND fire before I expired, mainly from being stunned by the magnificence of it all.

Edited by Samildanach at 22:06:26 21-11-2020
  • Bichii 21 Nov 2020 22:10:44 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    She is nails, good luck with that. Then soon you get to fight the most (or one of the most) ridiculous op boss in all of soulsbourne :)
  • Samildanach 21 Nov 2020 22:21:43 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    She is nails, good luck with that. Then soon you get to fight the most (or one of the most) ridiculous op boss in all of soulsbourne :)
    Oh blimey really? Considering I probably take at least double the number of attempts than most gamers do, anything harder than Ludwig is going to take MONTHS! Lady Maria seems tough but not insurmountable so she shouldn't be too much trouble.
  • Bichii 21 Nov 2020 22:25:15 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ludwig is like a harmless puppy compared to the final boss of the dlc :). I've never even beaten it solo before and I have no intention of even bothering to try as it's not worth the anger.
  • Samildanach 23 Nov 2020 00:48:31 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lady Maria is now history, though not without much blood spilt. Great boss, one that leaves you with a pounding heart when you finally pull through.
    I also met Lawrence the First Vicar who is also proving a tough customer. I get the impression that he is not the nightmarish final one, instead being an optional side boss. He's going down anyway, can't leave anyone standing!
  • Bichii 23 Nov 2020 09:25:56 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I do enjoy your occasional Bloodborne updates :).

Have you got the first vicar to his second phase yet?

Hurry up and get to the last boss, I want to read about your misery.
  • Darknight 23 Nov 2020 09:43:07 359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    To counter Bichii, I found OoK much easier than Ludwig! Just found his attack patterns easier to read and avoid.
  • Samildanach 24 Nov 2020 18:42:32 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So The Orphan is down first go. Piece of piss.

Yeah, in my dreams! I last seconds. MERE SECONDS. God this is going to be painful.

Saving him for last I've gone and cheesed the two big fish men from the raised passageway. Still tricky, but at least not near-impossible. As a rule, I don't cheese bosses, but these guys were fair game.

Back to Laurence now and I am struggling to put it mildly. I gather he has a later phase without legs but I've yet to get that far. I've got fire resistant gear on but it avails me naught when I keep arseing up my dodge timings. I guess it is just a case of learning through repetition, I just wish those two hunters outside didn't open the Cathedral doors so damn slowly. I'm using Ludwig's blade as that is my strongest, but is there a better weapon to use against him?
  • mrcrumley 24 Nov 2020 19:16:49 613 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's been a while since I beat bloodborne, however, I do remember that Laurence caused me the most grief .... By a distance. I may be wrong but is he not more susceptible to fire? ...
  • Bichii 24 Nov 2020 19:37:59 3,856 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Less susceptible I would imagine as he is a fire boss. Serrated blades should work best as he is a beast so check what serrated damage weapons you have. The charged whirly gig saw move works well.
  • Samildanach 24 Nov 2020 20:09:43 497 posts
    Seen 1 second ago ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My Whirlygig is +8, so I might try that. Thanks
  • puddleduck 25 Nov 2020 02:18:21 1,945 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep charged Whirlygig was good against him but he was definitely the BB boss that took me longest!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.