CD/Digital VS Vinyl - Anybody listen to vinyl records? Page 5

• quadfather 22 May 2014 12:02:44 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    So I note a couple of Eurogamer DJs then?
    Not sure about anyone else, but I am in no way shape or form even approaching a DJ. I enjoy mixing different records together when mates are round for beers/food/chillout etc, but if I manage to get something beatmatched, it's certainly a lucky accident :)

I am starting to get my head around my records though, so it's getting easier for me to keep going for longer with more familiar sounding records one after the other and I'm starting to work out which tracks work well with each other. I suppose you could say I have a mini set that I use and keep trying to improve on.

That's about it though. Other times, I'll just simply listen to records.

But it's immense fun all round
  • quadfather 22 May 2014 12:06:12 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Very nice kit mate.

Haha, your cabling is neater than mine and you've just moved house.

/hangs head in shame :)
    Thanks mate.
    I had it all tidy in the old place and hate the mess now, I'm waiting for some onger cables and stuff before I can finish it.
    I'm a wee bit anal about it now after being used to the clean look of hidden cables :-)
    I think carpets 'hide' cable mess better than wood floors and white walls tbf
    Yeah, I know what you mean. Mine is carpeted so I do have some degree of blending it in, and the surround wires are pretty much invisible once they're under the carpet/around the edge, but the front section is just a complete fucking mess. I've only just got the ps4 and had to rearrange the layout, which I'm still not happy with.

In fact, this bloody thread is forcing me into tidying up now :)

I can't hide the projector controls and the front height speaker wires any more than I have already though - nowt I can do about that. But the back end of the receiver area is atrocious :p
  • gammonbanter 27 Nov 2014 08:34:29 2,265 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30216638

Vinyl doing nicely in that niche, as someone who's had to move crates 'of beats' around - I'm cautious of the stuff! =)

Edited by gammonbanter at 08:34:44 27-11-2014
  • Commander-Keen 27 Nov 2014 08:48:07 915 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Another person into Vinyl here. Was quite amusing listening to John Humphreys get his head around the "new vinyl craze" on Radio 4 this morning!
  • quadfather 27 Nov 2014 08:57:20 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:

Vinyl doing nicely in that niche, as someone who's had to move crates 'of beats' around - I'm cautious of the stuff! =)
    That's good news, but I can't help agreeing with this guy in the comments section -

"The only real problem with this revival are the pressing plants using digitial sources for their mastering process. Needs to come direct from the original analogue source, all the way from the mixing desk to the vinyl press. Otherwise it's just another piece of hipster rubbish."

If they did the pressing properly, it would be even better imo
  • Deleted user 27 November 2014 08:57:46
    Vinyl has been a big thing in metal for yonks. Die Hard editions with different coloured records and collector's edition jackets have been all the rage for at least a decade.

I do love listening to vinyl but having to get up and turn the record over can really break the immersion.
  • quadfather 27 Nov 2014 08:59:09 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @GoatApocalypse

Have to say I'm the opposite. When I put vinyl on, I'm doing it because I want to listen to the music 100%, not just have something on in the background. It's all part of the experience for me
  • Commander-Keen 27 Nov 2014 09:02:10 915 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @quadfather Totally agree. Without sounding like a wanker, that's why I'm quite careful about where I get my vinyl from. The downside is that you often "lose" a song to jumping and scratches.

I do love buying an old record though and finding someone's name and address on there from when they used to take them to parties back in the 70s!
  • Deleted user 27 November 2014 09:03:00
    @quadfather I totally agree - what I'm saying is, having to turn the record over half-way through breaks the music's spell somewhat.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 09:03:13 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gammonbanter wrote:

Terrible article, comparing sales with streams and calling iTunes an "own-nothing" service.

I'm delighted about vinyl's resurgence, it's by far my format of choice.
    I do wonder how many of those sales are to people listening on those horrendous sub 100 quid new turntables and are missing half the benefit though :-(

I recently moved house, the key to transport is to use large, handled paper shopping bags, doubled-up. Much better than lugging 30 boxes around :)
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 09:04:06 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @GoatApocalypse

Have to say I'm the opposite. When I put vinyl on, I'm doing it because I want to listen to the music 100%, not just have something on in the background. It's all part of the experience for me
    this.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 09:06:00 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Commander-Keen wrote:
    @quadfather Totally agree. Without sounding like a wanker, that's why I'm quite careful about where I get my vinyl from. The downside is that you often "lose" a song to jumping and scratches.

I do love buying an old record though and finding someone's name and address on there from when they used to take them to parties back in the 70s!
    this is one of my greatest purchases.
    Some old records are just filthy, not really damaged and a proper cleaning can amaze.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 09:08:13 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    gammonbanter wrote:

That's good news, but I can't help agreeing with this guy in the comments section -

"The only real problem with this revival are the pressing plants using digitial sources for their mastering process. Needs to come direct from the original analogue source, all the way from the mixing desk to the vinyl press. Otherwise it's just another piece of hipster rubbish."

If they did the pressing properly, it would be even better imo
    As most* new recordings are done digitally, that's a non-starter. The digital recordings are at a far higher fidelity than CDs/downloads so a well mastered vinyl pressing of a digital recording can still sound better than a cd.

There are people like Ryan Adams and Jack White who insist on all analogue but they're a small minority.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 09:10:25 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just bought a 39 year old record, put it through the cleaner and there's almost no surface noise on it, sounds brilliant :-)
    It does annoy me that people associate vinyl with pops and clicks when if you take care of it and have properly set-up equipment it's something you rarely encounter.
  • quadfather 27 Nov 2014 10:08:15 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    @quadfather I totally agree - what I'm saying is, having to turn the record over half-way through breaks the music's spell somewhat.
    Yeah agreed it does. But I get round this by having another deck ready with another record. But then it gets into mixing, opening another beer and the next thing you know its 3 in the morning and there's records everywhere :) all part of the fun though
  • Deleted user 27 November 2014 11:37:31
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    Vinyl has been a big thing in metal for yonks. Die Hard editions with different coloured records and collector's edition jackets have been all the rage for at least a decade.

I do love listening to vinyl but having to get up and turn the record over can really break the immersion.
    i dunno, pretty much all non-pop albums are designed with vinyl in mind; side a will normally have an 'ending' song, and side b a new opener. sometimes they'll split the mood across the two sides. it should always feel like that gap makes sense.
  • gamingdave 27 Nov 2014 15:04:53 5,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    As most* new recordings are done digitally, that's a non-starter. The digital recordings are at a far higher fidelity than CDs/downloads so a well mastered vinyl pressing of a digital recording can still sound better than a cd.
    They are at a higher bitrate and frequency than a CD, but downloads are available of studio masters which are exactly the same as the the final mix. Combine this with the fact that most people in blind tests can't tell the difference between a studio master and a 44.1/16 digital file (I can't and have done a lot of tests on myself with varying equipment) and i find that an odd statement.

Vinyl of a digital recording can sound different from the digital file. It can sound better if you like the colouration vinyl adds, but its not "better". If anything I would say it was worse, as it is less accurate than the digital (master) version.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Nov 2014 15:11:54 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    They are at a higher bitrate and frequency than a CD, but downloads are available of studio masters which are exactly the same as the the final mix. Combine this with the fact that most people in blind tests can't tell the difference between a studio master and a 44.1/16 digital file (I can't and have done a lot of tests on myself with varying equipment) and i find that an odd statement.

Vinyl of a digital recording can sound different from the digital file. It can sound better if you like the colouration vinyl adds, but its not "better". If anything I would say it was worse, as it is less accurate than the digital (master) version.
    Yes, you're right.
    Hugely important is your setup, DAC etc.
    Digital Downloads are also expensive and limited in availability.

For modern digital recordings, the best way to listen to them would be to have a "studio master" played through a quality DAC in a great system. II just checked the last few records I bought and you can't get studio master downloads.
  • DigitalDelay 2 Dec 2014 20:42:16 230 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was lucky this year, for my 40th, my brother bought me a nice turntable, so I've been back on my vinyl a bit lately. I used to mess about with DJ'ing in early 90s, but my remaining deck hasnt really worked for a while.

It is such a nice warm format. I've really enjoyed pulling records out of proper sized artwork and even turning it over. The concept of a side1 and side2 once again makes sense, heh.

I did an experiment. In my Pink Floyd collection I have a Canadian edition of Meddle that 'was' unplayed. Well... I played it, sounded awesome. I compared it (on same stereo setup) to the CD and digital versions. It just hammered them all in terms of quality. The drums on Meddle are a wicked test for any system eh? Bass & Treb much smoother on vinyl and I could push the levels up more etc.

Modern recording techniques are great for making it easier for people to record music. Nice to hear some classic analogue recording and mastering for a change though, instead of quick ProTools sessions!
  • Deleted user 2 December 2014 20:55:23
    Vinyl records - yes sometimes. Own about 30. They sound fine, as they are not scratched, and dust free.
  • MrSensible 2 Dec 2014 21:14:27 26,517 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just ordered my first record player actually, should be arriving shortly. Obviously the sound quality was one factor in my decision but the main thing I like the idea of is the idea of having to physically select an album, put it on and sit and listen to the damn thing. I LOVE having iTunes, Spotify, etc, don't get me wrong... but I spend 90% of my time skipping tracks rather than actually sitting and listening to the music. A new album comes out, I give it one play, two plays... then MAYBE come back to it. I want to change that.
  • DigitalDelay 2 Dec 2014 21:43:34 230 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Good luck with the record player MrSensible. It's a valid point, physically owning an album (or cd) does seem to put a more lasting value on it (if it's good). I've never really liked itunes and mp3s for those reasons. There are exceptions, but yeah, it's just more disposable and doesn't hold attention the same.

Sitting and listening (and smoking heh) to music is a joy. I don't understand people who say they like music but can't just sit and listen to an album, yet will sit watchin shite on TV for hours on end! Each to their own eh.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2014 22:05:53
    I'm still giddy as fuck about the fact that's I've got just over 4 months of continuous music on my computer. To think of when my access to music consisted of two C-90 cassettes filled with random bits.

However, nothing beats the near-ritual of skimming through my physical collection, picking a few albums out, turning off the phone and kicking back with the recliner and Sennheisers and really listening to the music. Nay, becoming completely absorbed in the experience.
  • SamNunn92 22 Dec 2014 17:39:28 937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought this might be the most appropriate thread for this - my Pro-Ject Debut II has started making an unhappy grinding/buzzing noise after 30-45mins worth of play. It's audible above the music sometimes, and it goes away completely if I switch the turntable off and leave it for half an hour or so. It's definitely linked to the motor (the noise cuts out immediately when switched off as opposed to gradually slowing down with the platter) so I'm guessing it's something to do with heat build up inside the motor itself.

I've looked up replacement motors and they're roughly 40 which I think is quite reasonable considering the table was 160 second hand. I'm fine with soldering etc so not too worried about fitting it but wanted to ask if any wiser vinyl enthusiasts had any advice re things to investigate/consider before taking the plunge and buying the replacement.

Thanks!
  • quadfather 22 Dec 2014 17:47:08 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @SamNunn92

Does doing a google search indicate it's the motor, as I wouldn't have a clue myself
  • SamNunn92 22 Dec 2014 17:59:22 937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather I have done a few Google searches and can come up with nothing that seems exact to my situation, but will keep looking and hope to turn something up - the other thing I forgot to mention is that the sound is definitely cyclical in quality which makes me suspect the motor as well.
  • SamNunn92 22 Dec 2014 18:05:14 937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, just found this "I fixed a Pro-Ject 1.2 with the same type of buzzing problem... It sounded like an electric shaver when left on for about 10-20 minutes. The turntable belonged to the local record store owner, so when he acquired another used ProJect 1.2 for parts, he had me swap motors and that fixed it (the motor was indeed the problem). " A few other threads seemed to suggest motor too, though not as succinctly.

/shuffles feet for not Googling thoroughly enough before posting

Looks like I'll be ordering that replacement!
  • mal 22 Dec 2014 18:27:29 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    Yeah, there's not really much to any record player. There's the stylus/cart which will make scratchy or chewy noises if it's knackered, the tone arm pivot, which will make the record skip and be basically unplayable if it's not working, and the motor which can buzz or chunter. That's assuming you've not got a record changer on your 'classic' deck.

I've been listening to a few old records on my early 2000s era Rega P3, into my 2005-ish rotel which I've not had set up for phono for very long, and some 100 quid headphones. I'd not realised how much bass they put on some of those heavy vinyl dance records from the 90s. Bonkers.
  • MrSensible 26 Dec 2014 14:44:35 26,517 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Great, so the record player I got the girlfriend for Christmas seems to be totally buggered. It wobbles so much when a record is playing that it actively shoves the needle off of it and makes it bounce o_O
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.