CD/Digital VS Vinyl - Anybody listen to vinyl records? Page 2

• Cappy 21 May 2014 15:25:48 14,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    A mint record should be close to noiseless all the way through.
    It depends on the record, some pressings always sounded noisy, even if they'd never been played. Hence the reissues of classics on higher quality vinyl aimed at the niche audiophile market.

Publishers are the same whatever the industry, if they can see a way of putting more money into their own pocket, quality be damned.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:27:01 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @gang_of_bitches

I have 1210s and while they are amazingly durable and popular for DJs, they also sound great to me.

I'd like to hear some other decks actually to see if/when the diminishing returns kick in.

Note, I don't obsess with million pound interconnects or anything - I have mp3s on my phone, CDs when I'm away from the decks for extended periods etc - I just love vinyl - as gamingdave states, it's a great medium both from a physical and audio viewpoint
    Temptation?
    I really really wish you hadn't have just posted that :p
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:29:28 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @gang_of_bitches

I have 1210s and while they are amazingly durable and popular for DJs, they also sound great to me.

I'd like to hear some other decks actually to see if/when the diminishing returns kick in.

Note, I don't obsess with million pound interconnects or anything - I have mp3s on my phone, CDs when I'm away from the decks for extended periods etc - I just love vinyl - as gamingdave states, it's a great medium both from a physical and audio viewpoint
    Temptation?
    I really really wish you hadn't have just posted that :p
    What about this?
  • Gambit1977 21 May 2014 15:30:40 10,398 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you have the money,..

http://www.linn.co.uk/all-products/turntables
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:31:14 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Well, shit :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:31:32 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    If you have the money,..

Not where I'd spend my cash tbh
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:31:48 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gambit1977

I only need to see the word Linn to know straight away how much that stuff will cost!
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:32:09 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to upgrade to this
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:33:42 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

It's daft though - imagine all the other money you'd need to get the best out of it.

Then again, if you have 30k to chuck at a deck, it probably wouldn't be a problem :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:35:33 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

It's daft though - imagine all the other money you'd need to get the best out of it.

Then again, if you have 30k to chuck at a deck, it probably wouldn't be a problem :)
    I guess not :-)

Money on good hi-fi and music is rarely wasted, people roll their eyes at prices yet are utterly content to go through tens of thousands on car depreciation for example.
  • Gambit1977 21 May 2014 15:35:45 10,398 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear
    Didn't you just post a technics though? It's night and day fella.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:37:36 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

True, I've spent a lot on stuff I like over the years.

I'm even contemplating getting a third deck and focus on upgrading that, and leave the other two connected to the mixer which bottlenecks the quality

But that would be silly.

Wouldn't it.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:38:56 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear
    Didn't you just post a technics though? It's night and day fella.
    I prefer my own turntable tbh

Linn make good stuff but it's quite different sounding, a bit marmite tbh.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:39:28 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

True, I've spent a lot on stuff I like over the years.

I'm even contemplating getting a third deck and focus on upgrading that, and leave the other two connected to the mixer which bottlenecks the quality

But that would be silly.

Wouldn't it.
    Makes perfect sense to me :-)
  • gang_of_bitches 21 May 2014 15:41:39 5,707 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    If you have the money,..

Cheap tat.....now this, yours for just $300,000!
  • gamingdave 21 May 2014 15:42:03 5,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd like to hear some of those "improvements" for myself but I suspect it's snake oil on the whole. Talk of the power supply, and strobe light introducing audible distortion is not something I buy. Else how can I turn my amp all the way up and hear no difference in the background noise when the deck is powered on or not?

I made a clamp in about 5 minutes and it cost nothing.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:44:10 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

:)

I'd have to rejig the room a fair bit and get another amp + speakers.

But that's what a hobby is like!
  • CharlieStCloud 21 May 2014 15:52:00 5,812 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would dearly love to have my own little vinyl collection however, when you earn what I earn every month, it is merely a necessity and not something I need, unfortunately.

... a healthy income certainly helps with this kind of hobby!
  • gang_of_bitches 21 May 2014 15:52:27 5,707 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Money on good hi-fi and music is rarely wasted, people roll their eyes at prices yet are utterly content to go through tens of thousands on car depreciation for example.
    I got involved in a watch thread a couple of years back which ran kind of similarly to this one (but longer and more antagonistic) with people spending lots of money on watches being scoffed at by people saying a Casio would do the same job so why bother. With that in mind I'm hesitant to say that anything that gives a person pleasure is a waste. But....when it comes to sound reproduction theres only so much that even good ears can perceive isn't there?

For you guys with pricey kit how much do feel it's actually hearing music as it was performed that's important as opposed to getting a tone or feel that you like? I will also say when it comes to turntables some of them are absolutely exquisite pieces of engineering which I find very attractive.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 15:53:05 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    I would dearly love to have my own little vinyl collection however, when you earn what I earn every month, it is merely a necessity and not something I need, unfortunately.

Yep, hi-fi and large music collections aren't cheap :-(
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:54:53 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    I'd like to hear some of those "improvements" for myself but I suspect it's snake oil on the whole. Talk of the power supply, and strobe light introducing audible distortion is not something I buy. Else how can I turn my amp all the way up and hear no difference in the background noise when the deck is powered on or not?

A mate of mine has replaced his mats, cartridge, interconnects, damper, tonearm and is convinced it's improved his sound quality.

I don't know myself. I tend to just enjoy vinyl, but I do like to replace the stylus every so often. Might get some better mats too thinking about it :)

While we're pimping, btw -

Ignore the speakers, they're just part of the surround. I've got the main speakers for the decks on the other side of the room - Mission 702's on some stands.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:55:39 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

Definitely. I've got a shopping list of stuff I'd like, but they're all a looooong way off yet :) I'm lucky if I can snaffle a few records a month
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 15:58:35 38,799 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I got involved in a watch thread a couple of years back which ran kind of similarly to this one (but longer and more antagonistic) with people spending lots of money on watches being scoffed at by people saying a Casio would do the same job so why bother. With that in mind I'm hesitant to say that anything that gives a person pleasure is a waste. But....when it comes to sound reproduction theres only so much that even good ears can perceive isn't there?

For you guys with pricey kit how much do feel it's actually hearing music as it was performed that's important as opposed to getting a tone or feel that you like? I will also say when it comes to turntables some of them are absolutely exquisite pieces of engineering which I find very attractive.
    I can't afford many upgrades to mine and I utilise a mixer which apparently limits the quality. But I can say hand on heart that I have some vinyl records that sound a) like it was performed but also, b) that just sound 'nice'. Warm is a good description for some of the stuff I have. But then, speakers can play a large part in colouring the sound.

If I had more cash, I'd probably piss about with different bits of kit just to experiment, but at the moment, I just enjoy playing music. There's something relaxing about watching records spin as well.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 16:06:55 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

For me it's both, the most common comment from people hearing my system for the first time is "It's as if they were playing live right in front of you" which of course isn't true.
    However, a great setup presents the music in a real, 3D, "solid" fashion with lots of weight in the lower end and clarity in the midrange.

It greatly increases my enjoyment of music ( which is by far my most important hobby) so is worth every penny.
    It's diminishing returns after a point though...
  • gamingdave 21 May 2014 16:07:12 5,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:

A mate of mine has replaced his mats, cartridge, interconnects, damper, tonearm and is convinced it's improved his sound quality.

I don't know myself. I tend to just enjoy vinyl, but I do like to replace the stylus every so often. Might get some better mats too thinking about it :)

Well I spent decent money on a new cartridge and it is better than the old Stanton I had before the replacement.

I'd like to hear one of these pimped decks side by side with mine, just swapping the headshell and cart over to see if I could really tell the difference. If I could I would spend the money if I thought it was worth the price.
  • gamingdave 21 May 2014 16:09:36 5,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I can't afford many upgrades to mine and I utilise a mixer which apparently limits the quality.
    I wouldn't buy a new setup just to get round that problem, why not just run a line of interconnects terminating into female phono sockets from your amp (assuming it has a phono stage) so you can quickly pull the 1210s cable out your mixer and into your amp for when you want to go direct?
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 16:11:35 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:

While we're pimping, btw -

Ignore the speakers, they're just part of the surround. I've got the main speakers for the decks on the other side of the room - Mission 702's on some stands.
    Cool. What's the amp?
    Floorstanders could be a future upgrade....
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 16:12:17 30,575 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:

Well I spent decent money on a new cartridge and it is better than the old Stanton I had before the replacement.

I'd like to hear one of these pimped decks side by side with mine, just swapping the headshell and cart over to see if I could really tell the difference. If I could I would spend the money if I thought it was worth the price.
    Maybe one of the places could make that happen?
  • gamingdave 21 May 2014 16:17:03 5,062 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:

Well I can't comment on the pricey audio kit, though mine aint cheap cheap, but guilty as charged on the first front.

I was probably in that thread, owning too many watches some of which cost considerably more than my audio setup (some more than my AV setup too). I'm one of the "idiots" who doesn't own a casio but a box full of "man jewelry" that doesn't even keep perfect time.

The function of telling the time is no better on them than on the Casio, but the pleasure received in use is far greater.

In the same vain as I touched on earlier, having vinyl and nice equipment garners it's own pleasure which can increase the listening experience either by (possibly) making the sound better or simply making you more involved.
  • gang_of_bitches 21 May 2014 16:27:13 5,707 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @gamingdave

Yup since that thread I've made a couple of relatively entry level purchases (2 Christopher Wards) but temptation is building and I think it's time to go for something a bit bit exotic. My bank balance will suffer!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.