CD/Digital VS Vinyl - Anybody listen to vinyl records? Page 3

• Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 16:28:58 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't wear a watch, I'm not really interested in them but if people enjoy spending thousands on funky watches then good for them, the pleasure ones derives from luxuries is personal and if you can afford it.....
    You're only here once etc.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 16:38:54 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    I can't afford many upgrades to mine and I utilise a mixer which apparently limits the quality.
    I wouldn't buy a new setup just to get round that problem, why not just run a line of interconnects terminating into female phono sockets from your amp (assuming it has a phono stage) so you can quickly pull the 1210s cable out your mixer and into your amp for when you want to go direct?
    Yeah I could do that I guess. Or some kind of switch. Or a different setup / mixer.

Be cheaper too
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 16:43:01 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    I'd like to hear some of those "improvements" for myself but I suspect it's snake oil on the whole. Talk of the power supply, and strobe light introducing audible distortion is not something I buy. Else how can I turn my amp all the way up and hear no difference in the background noise when the deck is powered on or not?

I made a clamp in about 5 minutes and it cost nothing.
    A mate of mine has replaced his mats, cartridge, interconnects, damper, tonearm and is convinced it's improved his sound quality.

I don't know myself. I tend to just enjoy vinyl, but I do like to replace the stylus every so often. Might get some better mats too thinking about it :)

While we're pimping, btw -

Ignore the speakers, they're just part of the surround. I've got the main speakers for the decks on the other side of the room - Mission 702's on some stands.
    Cool. What's the amp?
    Floorstanders could be a future upgrade....
    Its a marantz pm6004. It was the best one I could afford at the time. Really like it and it goes well with the marantz cd player above. Not so with the retro technics tuner :)

I have got some floorstanders but they're used as the main fronts for the surround
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 16:55:45
    I am a big fan of Marantz amps, they come with issues in that getting repairs can be a bit of a bugger but my relatively cheap one still produces a warm and inviting sound.

It also has a rather nice inbuilt compressor which can be harnessed for full-range annoying of the neighbours.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 17:01:23 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :)
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 17:11:38 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    gamingdave wrote:
    I'd like to hear some of those "improvements" for myself but I suspect it's snake oil on the whole. Talk of the power supply, and strobe light introducing audible distortion is not something I buy. Else how can I turn my amp all the way up and hear no difference in the background noise when the deck is powered on or not?

I made a clamp in about 5 minutes and it cost nothing.
    A mate of mine has replaced his mats, cartridge, interconnects, damper, tonearm and is convinced it's improved his sound quality.

I don't know myself. I tend to just enjoy vinyl, but I do like to replace the stylus every so often. Might get some better mats too thinking about it :)

While we're pimping, btw -

Ignore the speakers, they're just part of the surround. I've got the main speakers for the decks on the other side of the room - Mission 702's on some stands.
    Cool. What's the amp?
    Floorstanders could be a future upgrade....
    Its a marantz pm6004. It was the best one I could afford at the time. Really like it and it goes well with the marantz cd player above. Not so with the retro technics tuner :)

I have got some floorstanders but they're used as the main fronts for the surround
    Why don't you use the Pre-Amps from your Receiver (fronts) to your 6004 Amp and drop the 702s?
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 17:21:31 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck me that's a good idea.

So do you mean use the speaker wires that the 702s are using and put them into the pre amp out on the receiver so when I use the marantz it goes out via the receiver to the floorstanders?
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 17:29:23
    This is always a funny old topic.

I'm a massive, massive consumer of music, probably have listened to music every single day since 1998 and can happily do a 12 hour sitting.

My setup is an old school Sony midi hifi from the late 90s. I reckon I can hear all the stuff played through it pretty clearly; there's a nice separation in the instruments, I can turn it up really loud with no distortion and it can absolutely rattle the walls. I have a set of Sennheiser HD 558s that the hifi does a great job of driving too.

Most of my music is played through it on CD or mp3s @ 320Kb/s, 44.1KHz (actually played via the TV's audio out via the PS3) and I'm still pretty happy with how it sounds. I know there's better experiences, but I feel like I'm getting 60% of the experience for a fraction of the price. Given that I was still listening to music on a cassette Walkman as little as 11 years ago, this isn't a bad way to be! :)

I'm considering going all digital too. I've about 1,200 physical albums (about 900 CDs, 300 vinyls) and the thought of my potential move across the country with all of that in tow next year is making me feel a bit ill. I may keep about 250 of my absolute favourite albums and flog the rest.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 17:43:24 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll have the vinyl off you :)
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 18:26:13 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Just thinking about your preamp idea. Wouldn't the receiver also need to have a phono stage? (It doesn't)
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 18:27:05
    @FuzzyDuck time to get ripping!
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 18:27:40 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And selling the vinyl to me :)
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 18:36:38
    @Mr_Sleep

Have the majority of the CDs ripped as 320Kb/s mp3s! I've experimented with a few different formats (most notably flac and ogg files) and the difference in size vs. sound quality isn't worth it with the flacs, while the oggs don't have near ubiquitous playback that mp3s do. I've torrented most of the stuff I have on vinyl.

@Quaddy

I've a wall in one room covered with vinyl sleeves hanging up, so none of them! :D
  • petercook 21 May 2014 18:50:20 16 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Vinyl all the way for me.
    Does it sound better,to me it always will.
    However i am lucky and have a great set up and have been collecting vinyl since the 70's.
    My 1210's are still as good as when i first bought them 27 years ago.
    Vinyl is more fun to mix with,however i normally record all my tunes to mp3 now as i can assure you its easier to turn up with an ipad or hardrive and mixer than crates of vinyl and decks
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 18:52:24
    @FuzzyDuck I would never be happy with lossy format for storage but that's me. I have ripped almost all our 2000+ CD collection to flac and it was a bell of an operation. Now it is all vinyl and digital for me. The best of both worlds in that I can covet the physical medium and have convenience of digital.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 18:54:17 21-05-2014
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 19:01:28
    @Mr_Sleep

I used to think the same, but came to realise that after blind testing myself I couldn't actually tell the difference between a flac file and a high bitrate mp3 (maybe years of being deafened at gigs and getting old has some advantages). I have been tempted to rip the CDs as flacs and keep them on a spare external drive.

Will have to see though, just looking at my wall of CDs right now I can't even begin to pick out 10 discs I want to get rid of, never mind 700+
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 19:04:45
    @FuzzyDuck Yeah, I have done blind tests too and did notice the difference so that is why I stick to flac.

I could probably chuck away 100 without being that worried but I have quite a few shit records. We cleared bunch out before moving and the charity shop was heaving with crappy cds :-)
  • Deleted user 21 May 2014 19:19:29
    @Mr_Sleep

The thing is, any kind of focused listening (that's to say I don my headphones and do nothing else but listen closely to the music) I do is with the CDs only. Digital files only get an airing if I'm working at the computer or if I have people around and just hit shuffle. They're perfect for portable listening too as any jump in quality is negated by environmental noise.

Ha, well send them my way before you chuck them! :D Quaddy can have my records in return.

Actually, I wonder would a music swapsies/for sale thread work on here?
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 21:01:56 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Just thinking about your preamp idea. Wouldn't the receiver also need to have a phono stage? (It doesn't)
    I understand that you have floor standers, a centre and surrounds connected directly to your Receiver.
    Seperately you have a 2nd pair of speakers connected to your Marantz Amp which has your decks via the mixer as a source.
    Is that right?

If so, my suggestion is that you connect the Receiver pre-outs for the front speakers to a AUX input on the Marantz Amp and have your front speakers connected to the Marantz.

When gaming or watching films, switch the Marantz to the AUX Input.
    You'll need to redo the Receiver calibration with the Marantz at a set volume level and always use that but you can eliminate one set of speakers and have (probably) better sound from your decks via the floorstanders.

This all depends on the layout of your room and if it'll suit your use.
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 23:18:49 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    @Mr_Sleep

Have the majority of the CDs ripped as 320Kb/s mp3s! I've experimented with a few different formats (most notably flac and ogg files) and the difference in size vs. sound quality isn't worth it with the flacs, while the oggs don't have near ubiquitous playback that mp3s do. I've torrented most of the stuff I have on vinyl.

@Quaddy

I've a wall in one room covered with vinyl sleeves hanging up, so none of them! :D
    You big tease :)
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 23:20:20 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    @FuzzyDuck I would never be happy with lossy format for storage but that's me. I have ripped almost all our 2000+ CD collection to flac and it was a bell of an operation. Now it is all vinyl and digital for me. The best of both worlds in that I can covet the physical medium and have convenience of digital.
    This I agree with. Bet when you've got time to piss around with 2 decks it's a lot of fun
  • quadfather 21 May 2014 23:23:23 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

I understand that you have floor standers, a centre and surrounds connected directly to your Receiver.
    Seperately you have a 2nd pair of speakers connected to your Marantz Amp which has your decks via the mixer as a source.
    Is that right?

If so, my suggestion is that you connect the Receiver pre-outs for the front speakers to a AUX input on the Marantz Amp and have your front speakers connected to the Marantz.

You'll need to redo the Receiver calibration with the Marantz at a set volume level and always use that but you can eliminate one set of speakers and have (probably) better sound from your decks via the floorstanders.

Let me read this again when I'm sober
  • Armoured_Bear 21 May 2014 23:49:51 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Is that right?

Let me read this again when I'm sober
    No probs :-)
    Sleep tight!
  • mal 22 May 2014 04:20:57 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 20 years ago
    I bought a cheapo Marantz back in the day when I was a skint student, and it did the job but it massively lacked the body of my Philips amo at home. Now rocking a sleek silver Rotel of course.

I do like CD and other digital formats as I can just rip them and store them on various discs and flash drives; notwithstanding all the guesswork that even something as rigorous as cdparanoia ends up telling you about if you enable -e logging. But I don't think I could ever rip my vinyl - it's evolved over the years as I've bought new decks, amps and speakers, so I don't really beleive there's a way it's supposed to sound. Oddly, I don't really feel the same about cassette, though that's perhaps because I've never considered digitising my tapes, and didn't bother replacing my last tape player when it broke.
  • quadfather 22 May 2014 08:31:11 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bizarrely, my mate has started recording his vinyl onto tapes and likes the sound it produces when playing them back :)
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2014 08:31:57 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cassettes are shit tbh....
  • quadfather 22 May 2014 08:33:45 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think he's just having a mid life crisis phase with tapes :)

A reel to reel unit however would be cool
  • quadfather 22 May 2014 08:59:11 38,799 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Is that right?

Yes, that's the exact layout.

Pre outs from receiver into aux on the marantz. Right.

I'm being thick here. I'd need to use rca leads for this yes?

But if its in the aux , which amp setting on the marantz do I use when playing records? Normally I use phono

It might also be a nightmare for cabling. I'd need about 10 metres for one cable and 15 for the other. And would have to fuck about with the carpet etc. Still, I'll look into it
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2014 09:20:14 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear

Is that right?

Yes, that's the exact layout.

Pre outs from receiver into aux on the marantz. Right.

I'm being thick here. I'd need to use rca leads for this yes?

But if its in the aux , which amp setting on the marantz do I use when playing records? Normally I use phono

It might also be a nightmare for cabling. I'd need about 10 metres for one cable and 15 for the other. And would have to fuck about with the carpet etc. Still, I'll look into it
    Yep, using RCA leads.

Everything on the Marantz is unchanged when playing records, CDs whatever.
    You just switch to the Marantz AUX input when you're using your Receiver for surround stuff.

You could also replace the Receiver and Marantz Amp with one Receiver that has better sound for music that you're happy with.
    Maybe something like this

this would be the next model up.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 09:21:21 22-05-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2014 09:24:26 30,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I think he's just having a mid life crisis phase with tapes :)

A reel to reel unit however would be cool
    Reel to reel would be cool.
    I met a German nutjob at a party that was massively into reel to reel, he recorded vinyl onto reel to reel tape as it make it sound "better" and wouldn't have any of my or my mate's logic :-)
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.