Audiophiles unite Page 36

• mrpon 10 Feb 2021 09:18:27 37,176 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Ok, pics as requested.

https://imgur.com/a/sJmSukr
    OMG talk to me about that cat flap in double glazing?!

Edited by mrpon at 09:18:53 10-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 09:29:22 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Heh, you have to get the glass pane made with the hole. It’s not a big deal to get done and worth it if you’re getting a new door or whatever, but it’s extravagant just for a cat flap if the glass is already there.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2021 09:32:05 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Very nice! Which Stax are that? And is the Eames an original (Vitra), or a knockoff? ;)
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2021 09:41:08 86,445 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Our extension uses the old patio doors as an internal door and ive been wondering for ages how to get a cat flap in there so I can keep them closed all day, so we dont have to heat the whole house.

I know that wasnt the thing you were demo'ing but, still, its a good POC for me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 09:43:46 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Very nice! Which Stax are that? And is the Eames an original (Vitra), or a knockoff? ;)
    They’re Lambas. Knock-off Eames :)
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2021 09:53:10 9,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This might be a stupid question, but where is the speaker cable and how is it routed?

Lovely set up by the way, and very jealous of that cat flap 😀

Also, what's the benefit of tilting the speakers like that? Is it to prevent vibrations?

Edited by andytheadequate at 09:57:26 10-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 09:56:48 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    This might be a stupid question, but where is the speaker cable and how is it routed?
    There’s black trunking underneath the doors. Just looks like part of the door.
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2021 10:33:21 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    They’re Lambas. Knock-off Eames :)
    Yeah, they're as unaffordable as they are sexy. :-/ And I am a bit too tall for the normal version. Vitra make one for taller people, but the knockoffs all seem to be the smaller one. Luxury problem if there ever was one!

Quite a wide stereo triangle though!
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 10:45:51 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah they’re too far apart, and ideally would be further from the rear wall as well I think, as well as not in front of glass. Some compromises sadly have to made until the lottery pays for my listening room.
  • moominpapa 10 Feb 2021 11:07:37 19 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Ok, pics as requested.

Very nice setup. Is that album on the top shelf Amber by Autechre?
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Feb 2021 11:08:23 12,913 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Where is the Peloton
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Feb 2021 11:23:37 40,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah they’re too far apart, and ideally would be further from the rear wall as well I think, as well as not in front of glass. Some compromises sadly have to made until the lottery pays for my listening room.
    Oh yeah, well, I've basically learned to live with the concept that the loudspeaker setup is for easy listening, and the headphones are for when I really want to *listen*. Got to say though, a mate has a complete Sonos setup (2 Play5s, sub), in less than ideal living-room conditions (large room, lots of windows and empty walls), and TruePlay does absolute wonders to the sound.

Edited by UncleLou at 11:25:08 10-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 11:33:50 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @moominpapa

Four Tet - New Energy.
  • moominpapa 10 Feb 2021 11:42:41 19 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Ah, gotcha. Not listended to him for a while. Might give that one a try.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2021 14:24:24 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, pics as requested.

Very nice, both equipment and furniture.

I have some envy towards you having a proper listening chair.
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2021 14:45:13 9,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear you going to post some photos of your set up?
  • Rhaegyr 10 Feb 2021 16:29:36 5,429 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As someone who adores music with a huge CD collection where would be the best place to start for an absolute newcomer who wants to improve their listening experience?

I have no hi-fi/amp/receiver/whatever else at the moment and when I want to listen to music I have to stick it on a USB into and play it through a fairly average soundbar (or play the CD through a console).

I have some fairly decent headphones but I don't want those to be my only option.

Basically, I want to play my CDs on speakers at the best quality possible for roughly a grand.

Laugh away!
  • mrharvest 10 Feb 2021 16:46:29 5,713 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    For a grand you say? Best bang for buck is usually second hand stuff. What size / layout room do you have? What kind of music do you listen to (i.e. how much bass do you need)?
  • Rhaegyr 10 Feb 2021 17:02:23 5,429 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I listen to most stuff (alternative, hip-hop, metal, pop, ambient) but it tends to skew towards guitar bands like Sonic Youth, Smiths, Velvet Underground and the like. Don't think I need that much bass.

It's a rectangular room roughly 4000mm x 6500mm with the TV/entertainment unit situated centrally.

Thanks
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 17:09:51 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don’t know how attached you are to your CD collection, but you could rip the lot, put them on a flash drive or stick, and instead of spending money on a CD player have them all accessible via a nice amp.

My entirely CD collection is on a stick plugged into the back of my amp.
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2021 17:18:15 9,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which console do you have? If it has an optical out you could use it as a CD player by connecting it to an amp. If you get an amp with an inbuilt DAC then it should work fine.

If you you do this you can then add a CD transport (e.g. the Audiolab 6000CDT) later on. A CD transport is a CD player without an inbuilt DAC, so you'd have to connect it to an amp via an optical cable, but they can sound awesome

My top tip is not to buy anything with extra features that you don't need. E.g. don't buy an AV receiver unless you want surround sound, don't buy an amp with Bluetooth/streaming if you won't use it.

Edited by andytheadequate at 17:19:47 10-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 17:33:06 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There’s a huge amount of fun research to be done, but this would be a very easy way to spend a grand on a damn fine sounding system (again assuming you’re happy to stream your CD collection from a stick or whatever).

https://www.weybridge-audio.co.uk/bluesound-powernode-2i-with-dali-oberon-1-speakers.html
  • andytheadequate 10 Feb 2021 17:36:00 9,544 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Richer Sounds and other online hi fi shops often have bundle options that might be a good place to start.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2021 17:37:33 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No way would I buy a CD player, mine are all on my NAS and streamed from there but as Kalel says, you could just use a USB stick. As long as the actual physical playing of a CD isn't something that you hugely enjoy.
  • Drakesmoke 10 Feb 2021 17:48:01 795 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a budget of less than a grand. I bought a Denon N9 Ceol (N10 is the current mark). That will get you decent sound, internet radio, CD, Bluetooth and USB connectivity. The speakers are compact and warm and good enough starters for a moderate living room and can be upgraded later. Something around £500-600 there. Marantz do very similar systems. Can also stream Spotify via Spotify Connect (not Bluetooth, it's done through the home wifi).

I then paired it with an Lp60 (very common budget turntable) but don't recommend it. I upgraded to an Lp5x (Audio Technica) later. Something like a lower end Pro-Ject or Rega might be in budget too.

If you buy a turntable (and you haven't said), check if it has a built in preamp, as you'll need an external one otherwise. You also need to check whether you need cables. If you buy bundles they are often thrown in.

Everything is upgradable obviously, see my posts and questions about upgrading the turntable cartridge.

You may be able to get higher end old stuff second hand for the same budget as others have said, but for CD, streaming, internet radio and vinyl a set up like mine will do the trick.

In terms of what it's on if needed, I just bought a cheap pine TV cabinet (look for Mercers/Corona pine).

I like to have decent quality stuff but am not an audiophile elitist - I'd rather it sound decent and have lots of records.

If vinyl isn't a thing obviously you can look at better speakers and a better system as the cost of the deck isn't there. I'm just throwing an in budget idea that covers all media at you, based purely on what I did rather than expertise. Seems Kal and Armoured Bear are the experts here tbh..

If you want a rabbit hole, go to the Steve Hoffman forum, it's where cork sniffers live.
  • Rhaegyr 10 Feb 2021 17:51:53 5,429 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the tips everyone, really appreciated.

I've no problem with ripping all my CD's and sticking them on a USB stick; makes sense to go with an amp/speaker combo.

That Bluesound kit looks (and probably sounds) gorgeous but think I'd have to listen to it first before spending my whole budget!

I'll do some research of my own and try and post some amp/speaker combos in the thread after narrowing down my options - would appreciate any advice (or other recommendations).
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2021 17:57:03 22,915 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Best bang for your buck is definitely going to be an amp/streamer combo plus some speakers. I think you’re very likely to end up at the Bluenode for the former, but speakers you’ve got a lot of choice.
  • mrharvest 10 Feb 2021 18:20:25 5,713 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Then there's also the option of getting active speakers instead of a separate amp + speakers. For example the Dali Zensor 5AX would fit your budget.

Actually, if this was me I'd buy Quad ESL 57's or 63's. It's £700-800 for the speakers. Then an amp to go with it. But I'm a nerd.

Edited by mrharvest at 18:28:34 10-02-2021
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 15:44:04 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear you going to post some photos of your set up?
    Here you go, not as pretty as Kalel's tbh.
    I'd like to change the racks to nicer furniture but would need to reduce the number of amps from 4, will hopefully get there at some point but It'll need quite a bit of cash.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.