Audiophiles unite Page 37

• Rhaegyr 11 Feb 2021 16:06:49 5,398 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very nice.

Are those speakers on the wall the Dali Oberon 1s that Kal mentioned? Daft question - do they sound good?

It's a bit of a minefield looking at speakers around the £300 mark; they all seem like good buys but I've no idea how they're different from each other.

For example, I've been looking at Monitor Bronze 2s, Dali Oberon 1s, B&W 606s, Elac Debut B5.2s and Q Acoustics 3030i. Any help or guides where I can compare the differences? Or is it simply a matter of hearing them?
  • andytheadequate 11 Feb 2021 16:14:26 9,542 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear some nice looking kit there. Why do you have so many amps? Is the Denon an AV receiver? And I assume one is a phono pre amp?
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 16:23:36 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Very nice.

Are those speakers on the wall the Dali Oberon 1s that Kal mentioned? Daft question - do they sound good?

It's a bit of a minefield looking at speakers around the £300 mark; they all seem like good buys but I've no idea how they're different from each other.

For example, I've been looking at Monitor Bronze 2s, Dali Oberon 1s, B&W 606s, Elac Debut B5.2s and Q Acoustics 3030i. Any help or guides where I can compare the differences? Or is it simply a matter of hearing them?
    They're the same range as the one Kalel linked but are the on-wall versions, as rear speakers they're great but I couldn't comment on them as "normal" speakers. The series is very well regarded though.

I think with speakers, more than anything else you need to hear them to decide, maybe tricky in current times though :(
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Feb 2021 16:24:49 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some tasty kit there. Those racks are very Guttenberg-esque ;-)
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 16:25:16 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear some nice looking kit there. Why do you have so many amps? Is the Denon an AV receiver? And I assume one is a phono pre amp?
    Yep, one is a phono amp, one a pre-amp and 2x power amps bi-amping the speakers.
    The pre/power amps are all 20 years old so I've had them a long time and wouldn't go down that route now tbh.
  • souvlaki 11 Feb 2021 16:26:22 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If it is any help, I have the Dali Spektor 2's which are cheaper at £199 and I am very happy with them. So much so that when I move and get some big floor standing ones I intend to stick with Dali.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Feb 2021 16:27:45 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a pair of Oberon 5s and they are really likeable speakers. They play anything you throw at them with a really nice engaging sound, they work with any kit and are easy to power, and theyíre super unfussy in their placement. I donít know about the others in the range but I know theyíre all very popular.
  • Rhaegyr 11 Feb 2021 16:30:30 5,398 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    souvlaki wrote:
    If it is any help, I have the Dali Spektor 2's which are cheaper at £199 and I am very happy with them. So much so that when I move and get some big floor standing ones I intend to stick with Dali.
    Thanks - I'll add these to the list to check out.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 16:45:04 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bonus messy vinyl shot ( I have loads to clean and tidy )

• Drakesmoke 11 Feb 2021 16:56:33 786 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear nice.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 16:58:17 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Some tasty kit there. Those racks are very Guttenberg-esque ;-)
    Thanks, I don't understand the Guttenberg reference to be honest :(
  • nickthegun 11 Feb 2021 17:13:52 86,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A guy who's apartment looks like if someone on one of those hoarding shows only bought hifi gear and vinyl.
  • nickthegun 11 Feb 2021 17:15:20 86,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 17:40:12 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, didn't know the guy.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Feb 2021 18:54:05 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím incredibly surprised you havenít come across him, heís extremely infamous in audiophile world. Thereís a lot of chat about him.
  • mrharvest 11 Feb 2021 19:27:27 5,712 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago

D:
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Feb 2021 19:40:32 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:

D:
    Feels quite irresponsible to make a belt-driven 1200 rip-off.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Feb 2021 21:34:56 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Iím incredibly surprised you havenít come across him, heís extremely infamous in audiophile world. Thereís a lot of chat about him.
    I've been a bit lax in the hi-fi geeky stakes recently tbh, think It's time I made a comeback.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2021 14:07:26 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you were to look at Amplification (including Phono) with a big budget, who would you all be looking at?
    I don't have the cash just now but this thread does have me wanting to replace my amplification with something less bulky, more modern that sounds at least as good.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2021 14:59:57 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When you say including phono, do you mean an integrated amp?

Itís always about what sound you like and what plays nicely with your kit. Avid seems to be popular at the high end for proper reference level sound. Iíd personally be looking at Moon, Luxman, Musical Fidelity, Mark Levinson...
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2021 15:01:23 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You might also just want to get the matching Linn amp to go with your streamer.
  • breakablepants 12 Feb 2021 15:41:48 1,112 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    As someone who adores music with a huge CD collection where would be the best place to start for an absolute newcomer who wants to improve their listening experience?

I have no hi-fi/amp/receiver/whatever else at the moment and when I want to listen to music I have to stick it on a USB into and play it through a fairly average soundbar (or play the CD through a console).

I have some fairly decent headphones but I don't want those to be my only option.

Basically, I want to play my CDs on speakers at the best quality possible for roughly a grand.

Laugh away!
    A different approach to separates or a micro-system would be an all-in-one box like the Naim MuSo. Peter Tyson often has refurbs and open boxes, and lo - one is in stock for £999.

https://petertyson.co.uk/manufacturer-refurbished-naim-mu-so-2nd-generation-wireless-music-system
  • mrharvest 12 Feb 2021 17:20:49 5,712 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    If you were to look at Amplification (including Phono) with a big budget, who would you all be looking at?
    I don't have the cash just now but this thread does have me wanting to replace my amplification with something less bulky, more modern that sounds at least as good.
    I like the Rega stuff. Elicit-R is pretty nice, I think. But what's big budget?

Or if you like more bulky stuff how about Electrocompaniet? Two of their monoblocks, a preamp and phono stage would weight about 70kg I reckon.
  • breakablepants 12 Feb 2021 17:37:01 1,112 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If I had the money and space I've always loved the look of Macintosh gear...

Steve Gutenburg is always eulogising over Nelson Pass amp designs, I'd love to hear one of those.

But I'm more and more thinking about shifting to an active set-up as and when I have the money to spend. The Buchart speakers sound incredible, with the ability to tune the DSPs to suit the acoustics of your room as well as your own listening preferences.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Feb 2021 18:06:21 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    McIntosh is like Lamborghini or something to me. I like how it looks but Iíd feel a bit of twat owning one.

Edited by You-can-call-me-kal at 19:30:35 12-02-2021
  • Drakesmoke 12 Feb 2021 21:12:56 786 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fitted my new microlinear cart (AT Vm95e) and did all the adjustments tonight. Fiddly job.

Christened it with 'What's Going On' and compared to the elliptical stylus cart I had, it sounds like a duvet has been lifted off everything. Lovely.

Just done side A of In Utero and wow. Massive. 'Dumb' is stamped to within literally half a centimeter of the spindle and barely any inner groove distortion. Noticeably less sibilance throughout the whole record.

Really really impressed. Have never heard Nirvana like this. Neither have the neighbours.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2021 23:27:35 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When you say including phono, do you mean an integrated amp?

Itís always about what sound you like and what plays nicely with your kit. Avid seems to be popular at the high end for proper reference level sound. Iíd personally be looking at Moon, Luxman, Musical Fidelity, Mark Levinson...
    Yes, sorry, bit of a confusing way to say things.
    A mate of mine has Moon kit which is excellent and I was reading/admiring some Mark Levinson gear not long ago, such as the 5805. I obviously like Musical Fidelity anyway but only really know Avid's turntables, I'll take a better look, cheers.
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Feb 2021 23:33:24 30,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I like the Rega stuff. Elicit-R is pretty nice, I think. But what's big budget?

Or if you like more bulky stuff how about Electrocompaniet? Two of their monoblocks, a preamp and phono stage would weight about 70kg I reckon.
    I'd like to ideally reduce boxes and bulk so maybe not the massive Electrocompaniet stuff, I see they have a very dinky "Living line " now though..

Big budget would be 10 grand or so I suppose.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Feb 2021 08:27:53 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Honestly I donít really pay close attention to stuff at that end of the scale, aside from casual browsing so canít really give any meaningful recommendations. Iíd have a lot of fun with that budget.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Feb 2021 08:29:06 22,915 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:
    Fitted my new microlinear cart (AT Vm95e) and did all the adjustments tonight. Fiddly job.

Christened it with 'What's Going On' and compared to the elliptical stylus cart I had, it sounds like a duvet has been lifted off everything. Lovely.

Just done side A of In Utero and wow. Massive. 'Dumb' is stamped to within literally half a centimeter of the spindle and barely any inner groove distortion. Noticeably less sibilance throughout the whole record.

Really really impressed. Have never heard Nirvana like this. Neither have the neighbours.
    Glad itís worked out for you, and congrats on getting your new cart set up nicely so quickly. Every time I go through that process I spent months doing paranoid tweaks. I hate it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.