Audiophiles unite Page 40

• You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 13:57:14 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Question for the vinyl heads.

If an album is available as a single or double LP, which do you choose, and why?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:06:14 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Question for the vinyl heads.

If an album is available as a single or double LP, which do you choose, and why?
    Double, every time as theoretically if there is more space between the grooves it can be mastered to have better dynamics, bass etc.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 14:13:19 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And less inner groove distortion.

Do you align your cartridge accordingly?
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:16:54 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And less inner groove distortion.

Do you align your cartridge accordingly?
    What do you mean?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 14:20:25 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bearwald, Loefgren, Stevenson etc.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:33:52 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bearwald, Loefgren, Stevenson etc.
    Aha, I used the mint protractor and checked using the hi-fi news test record plus well loved LPs to test.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 14:34:30 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was mainly asking as I prefer single LPs because I just canít be arsed with the ballache, but Iím aware itís not a very audiophile attitude to have.

And then when you said you prefer double I wondered how far you take it.
  • Fake_Blood 23 Feb 2021 14:40:48 10,893 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I only buy singles if the master was cut in the Southern Hemisphere because it cancels the distortion due to the Coriolis force.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 14:45:59 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was mainly asking as I prefer single LPs because I just canít be arsed with the ballache, but Iím aware itís not a very audiophile attitude to have.

And then when you said you prefer double I wondered how far you take it.
    Aha, not that far tbh, I didn't align specifically as I'll always have a mix.
  • fontgeeksogood 23 Feb 2021 15:01:25 12,913 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Does Katie Melua release her albums on vinyl
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 15:07:22 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a couple of old LPs designed for stacking systems, which are A/C on the first record, and B/D on the second. They are the fucking balls achiest of ball aches and I rarely listen to them, despite them being two of my favourite albums.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 15:26:29 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a couple of old LPs designed for stacking systems, which are A/C on the first record, and B/D on the second. They are the fucking balls achiest of ball aches and I rarely listen to them, despite them being two of my favourite albums.
    Didn't know that was a thing tbh.
    Out of curiosity, what are they?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 15:37:25 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Youíve probably seen them and not realised what they are. They were really popular in the 70s (to the extent that records like the ones Iíve got were designed to work with them).

Basically you stacked up a bunch of records and the player would play the top one, then automatically suspend it in the air before moving onto the record underneath. I think you could stack like 10 records or more on them.

Iíve seen them at AudioGold. I bet theyíre a fucker to own but theyíre very cool.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 15:40:05 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://youtu.be/GuoFW2yAD7g
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 15:45:46 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My Uncle's hi-fi had the long spindle and arm, I used to stack singles as a kid, I never realised about the whole LP side aspect of it though :)
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 15:48:07 86,312 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My gran had a set like that. Used it to blast out her Harry Secombe records. I dunno if the records themselves were made of different material, but I can still remember the smell of them like they are in the room.

I used to collect a lot of vinyl (part of it it still in the garage, part of it got robbed by my brother and taken half way around the world) and its like weed to skunk.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 15:57:10 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun

Shellac 78s. Mmmmmmm...
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 16:04:35 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite like that guy, "chastise audiophiles" - tick!
  • nickthegun 23 Feb 2021 16:06:55 86,312 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One of my boi's is a bedroom producer and occasionally puts things out through a label who just do bandcamp and whatnot, so whenever he has a tune released, he gets Vinyl Carvers to do him a one off 12" of it. £40 quid a shot for a one off, mail order dubplate is a 90s junglists dreamland.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 17:57:01 30,320 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any stupidly priced records you're lusting after?
    I'd love a nice copy of Animals (PF), either UK or Japan, a met copy starts at 100 quid but can easily be 1000. A weird number of the copies on Discogs are in Russia, no idea if I should be suspicious or not.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 23 Feb 2021 18:16:41 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím not really a vinyl chaser, Iím generally happy with represses, even remasters. The things I tend to lust after are the old indie hip hop and electronic records that will never be repressed, that I easily could have got at the time but just didnít. Some of those really haunt me.

Also not having things like the DOOM or Daft Punk back cat, then something happening which immediately makes them impossible to get, is very annoying.
  • andytheadequate 25 Feb 2021 16:07:32 9,544 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why do some audiophiles seem to insist that an amp makes no difference to the sound? I understand that other things make a bigger difference, but it can be disproved within a few minutes by swapping out an amp. I switched from a Denon AVR3600 AV Receiver to a Cyrus One stereo amp (both a similar price) and the difference was huge.

I'm sure the difference between 2 similarly priced and style of amps is probably pretty small, but I saw people on Reddit claiming a cheap old amp would sound the same as a modern, high end one, and using Science to back themselves up.
  • gamingdave 25 Feb 2021 16:43:48 5,052 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Record player we had in the house growing up was like that, and we too used it stack up 7"

I got the Fontaines D.C. album last year on double vinyl (pressed at 45) but don't have a 33 copy to compare it too. Was only a quid more and thought and the gatefold is nice so I thought why not.

Downside is obviously you have to turn the record over more often, but at least having 1210s I can have both setup for play.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 25 Feb 2021 17:34:23 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Why do some audiophiles seem to insist that an amp makes no difference to the sound? I understand that other things make a bigger difference, but it can be disproved within a few minutes by swapping out an amp. I switched from a Denon AVR3600 AV Receiver to a Cyrus One stereo amp (both a similar price) and the difference was huge.

I'm sure the difference between 2 similarly priced and style of amps is probably pretty small, but I saw people on Reddit claiming a cheap old amp would sound the same as a modern, high end one, and using Science to back themselves up.
    Itís an age old debate. My take on it is solid state amps should all sound the same, and the differences in them is essentially to do with Ďflawsí, that translate into idiosyncrasies in the sound such as Ďwarmthí. As you go further and further into the high end, those flaws disappear and you get closer and closer to Ďreference levelí, where the amp isnít colouring the sound in any way.

Obviously tube/valve amps are a whole different thing, and clearly sound different.
  • souvlaki 25 Feb 2021 18:01:01 1,161 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is that even true of Class D or whatever it is the smaller ones are called?
  • mrharvest 25 Feb 2021 18:55:08 5,713 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @souvlaki Many class D amps produce actually much cleaner amplification than the big class AB amps, with the caveat that you cannot push them past the rated output at all or you'll get nasty nasty digital distortion, and the power supply is usually the weak link in those (doesn't affect the amplification but can give you hum and other artefacts).

In fact if I had a sensitive pair of lets say full range horn speakers I'd be happy running them off a £25 class D amp.

Edited by mrharvest at 18:55:23 25-02-2021
  • souvlaki 25 Feb 2021 19:06:58 1,161 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interesting, thanks.
  • Drakesmoke 26 Feb 2021 08:13:46 786 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Double for the reasons listed above. However after much money and experimentation I have largely reduced the inner groove distortion I was experiencing.

Regards the 'stacking' thing, I've just received a reissue of 'Tommy' and it's one of these. Complete pain in the arse as of there's one record you want to listen to in a flow, it's that!

My main issue these days isn't whether or not to get a double though, it's whether it's available in the first place. A lot of stuff seems so scarce, stuff you would think should just have absolute standard availability too. Same goes for CDs to a smaller extent. Streaming has really made the market niche.
  • Drakesmoke 26 Feb 2021 08:19:26 786 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone got any 45 RPM LP's?

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/why-45-rpm-great-45-rpm-12-lp-explanation-by-kevin-gray.132280/

I have one, Foo Fighters 'Wasting Light'. Confused the hell out of me on the first play! It does sound great but all their reissues do to be honest so difficult to see if there really is a difference.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 26 Feb 2021 08:19:55 22,915 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes, Tommy is one of my stacking records too. Songs in the Key of Life is the other. I literally never listen to them on record, itís too much faff.

If you donít mind buying new/remasters then pretty much everything gets a rerelease eventually. So many times Iíve forked out a fortune for an older Ďrareí record only for it to get a brand new anniversary edition a week later.

I tend to only really shell out for obscure indie Hip Hop or Electronic music thatís definitely never getting rereleased these days. Anything else will come back eventually.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.