Following Audiophiles unite Page 2

• Deleted user 10 June 2014 16:02:33
    Most audiophile reference stuff tends to be classical or jazz. What do you like?
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2014 16:03:05 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Action movies.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jun 2014 17:52:06 22,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    How many people have their speakers set to the sweet spot and just where is that sweet spot?
    I have. It's in the middle of the couch. And the floorstanders are just 2m away from head, so it's a little couch+2 speakers triangle in the middle of the living-room.
    Good man, it annoys me that I can't quite configure my space into creating a comfortable place for the sweet spot. I need new furniture to achieve it.
  • THFourteen 10 Jun 2014 18:47:04 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My amp comes with a mic that you can use to configure a sweet spot in any config
  • mrpon 10 Jun 2014 18:55:25 35,211 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine too! Marantz?
  • UncleLou Moderator 10 Jun 2014 18:56:47 40,158 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep reading my post again, it sounds like I live in a loft. The room is dominated by the listening and accompanying seating devices, and it does look strange to the uninitiated. If I could get away with it, I'd probably by Neumann nearfield monitors, but I can't get the speakers even closer before it starts to look really silly!

Even with normal hifi floorstanders though, closer is better, just close enough before you can locate the individual treble, mid bass speakers. The space behind the couch and the speakers eliminates most of the inevitable echo.

Edited by UncleLou at 18:57:46 10-06-2014
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jun 2014 19:00:03 14,093 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why aren't there any SACD versions of my favourite Darkthrone and Venom albums? Badly needed.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 19:08:56
    SACD will finally die its death once lossless/HD digital kicks off properly which I'm getting increasingly irritated waiting for. Really thought Apple were going to announce it the other day but they didn't, which means it'll be September at least now.

And HDTracks was supposed to launch in the UK in May and still hasn't.

:/
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jun 2014 19:13:48 22,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @UncleLou sounds like a nice setup. I envy you I used to mix with very nice monitors all set up correctly and the sweet spot was so stark that I have wanted to do it at home but I won't have it right until I can take out the fireplace and surround.
  • Dirtbox 10 Jun 2014 19:23:08 91,097 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Jun 2014 19:24:06 26,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    The older I get, the bigger crock I think audiophile stuff is. So long as it's got a bit of bass and some treble and I can make out the tune, that's plenty for me. I don't ave the time or inclination to sit there and savour the singer's lips smacking and the crickets chirping outside of the recording studio.
    Very interesting.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Jun 2014 19:24:40 26,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, what kit do people have?
    Anything in your system that you're especially enamoured with?
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jun 2014 19:29:28 22,571 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The only thing I have that is really nice are my speakers which are Mordunt Short Avanti 906i's which provide everything I could want. Everything else in my system is pretty budget. Even the speakers aren't that much compared to some.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Jun 2014 19:35:41 26,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    The only thing I have that is really nice are my speakers which are Mordunt Short Avanti 906i's which provide everything I could want. Everything else in my system is pretty budget. Even the speakers aren't that much compared to some.
    My MS10i's (used as rears now) are still going, had them for 22 years...
  • beastmaster 10 Jun 2014 19:53:23 19,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Most audiophile reference stuff tends to be classical or jazz. What do you like?
    Classical defo. I'm starting to slowly get into jazz. Would have hated it a few years ago.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Jun 2014 19:55:56 26,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A lot of audio nerds like Steely Dan as demo stuff, sounds like unbearable sank to me but each to their own.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jun 2014 20:37:33 14,093 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    So, what kit do people have?
    Anything in your system that you're especially enamoured with?
    I have a Creative 2.1 PC speaker system. It's okay, but the volume control is broken.

edit: looks badass though

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:42:54 10-06-2014
  • ShadyChopper 10 Jun 2014 20:42:43 112 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have[http://www.iconaudio.com/portfolio-item/stereo-60p-mkiiim/ ]Description_here[/link] this

OOps need to learn to post a link :)

Edited by ShadyChopper at 20:43:34 10-06-2014
  • phAge 10 Jun 2014 21:24:32 25,487 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    We recently got new, somewhat thicker, curtains. They had a bigger impact on the sound quality in the living room than anything before, inlcuding buying entirely new loudspeakers that cost about 5 times as much as the old ones.

The curtains were 40 Eur.
    I can believe that, a shame so many people don't put more effort into the listening environment.
    Going the whole hog is clearly not practical but placement opf furniture and soft furnishings make a huge difference, as can speaker placement.
    This. Moving from a flat to a house with a cellar I've been able to do a bit of room treatment to has made my 5.1 setup sound better by several orders of magnitude. The difference really is quite unbelievable.

And yes, it was also plugged in before.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 22:51:56
    hehe!
  • Deleted user 10 June 2014 23:01:38
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Walk Across the Rooftops and Hats by The Blue Nile are amazing sounding recordings.
    Hats is beautiful. A wonderful, wonderful album. I've not got anything else of theirs, so what's Walk Across the Rooftops like? More of the same?

I'd like to try out some 5(+).1 recordings (rather than remixes). I keep forgetting to even look for them. Something like Holst's The Planets could sound quite amazing through surround, I imagine.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Jun 2014 23:06:37 26,695 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Walk Across the Rooftops and Hats by The Blue Nile are amazing sounding recordings.
    Hats is beautiful. A wonderful, wonderful album. I've not got anything else of theirs, so what's Walk Across the Rooftops like? More of the same?
    It's more sparse and atmospheric, a little less melodic but brilliant.
    Peace at Last ( the follow up to Hats) is also brilliant, some incredible songs on there, the Blue Nile can move me like no other band.

I'd get Peace at Last first, then Walk across the Rooftops.
    High is not quite as good but still a fine album.
    Oh, and Paul Buchanan's solo album is also worth a listen, very simple arrangements, just him and a Piano and mostly slow and ponderous.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 00:24:23
    Danke.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 01:51:14
    We've got Sonos's dotted around the house and a Sonos Play Bar under the TV, the sound quality is excellent. The headset I use when on my PC is the Creative Aurvana Live, I'd read good things about them so after my last gaming headset broke I decided to take a shot, the sound reproduction was astounding, they brought so much more to music, movies and games.

Edited by El_MUERkO at 01:55:04 11-06-2014
  • Khanivor 11 Jun 2014 03:04:51 44,026 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    We, I mean she, reorganised a few rooms in the house lately. This meant the main TV shit went downstairs. Which is good, as upstairs is a converted attic with vaulted ceilings. No good sound with speakers sitting four feet out from wall but tops of them touching sloping ceiling. Read speakers could get close to wall but there was still 10-20 feet of open space to either side.

Now they are down in a slightly elongated square room, with speakers near to wall and sat speakers in the corners. It's not perfect - glass doors make up most of one wall - but it's noticeably a fuckton better sounding. And I've yet to run the Audissy thiname to get that sweet spot dialed in.

Bonus - sub woofer sits in the fireplace. Keep the fucking birds awake now; take that fuckers!
  • DodgyPast 11 Jun 2014 05:44:22 9,296 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Onkyo 515 which isn't terrible and Mordaunt Short MS 3.40s that must be about 20 years old.

Laptop in the bedroom is hooked up to a Creek 4040 plugged into the speakers that came with a Denon Rcd-n7.

Nothing special really but both sound pretty decent.

Denon Rcd-n7 lives at the wife's parents house hooked up to some vaguely reasonable speaker that came with a relatively expensive JVC midi system.

Edited by DodgyPast at 05:46:23 11-06-2014
  • THFourteen 11 Jun 2014 08:15:18 51,946 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Mine too! Marantz?
    Nope its a Sony actually. AV Amp so i have everything plugged into it, and it plugged into the tv. DTGR 910 or something like that.

My 5.1 Jamo speaker set is ace, only 180 or so when i bought them, and have lasted 10 years and still sound fantastic for the money. Would recommend to anyone who is in that price range.

Headphones wise, i still love my Sennheiser bluetooth mmx 550s i know people hate on bluetooth, but the convenience is amazing, and with apt-x they sound fine with my galaxy s5
  • phAge 11 Jun 2014 08:38:58 25,487 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Had my setup for a couple of years now, and (especially after moving house) I'm well chuffed with it.

Yamaha amp with XTZ floorstander fronts, XTZ center and rears. Ancient Cerwin Vega sub with 2 x 8" drivers.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 09:16:39
    beastmaster wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Classical defo. I'm starting to slowly get into jazz. Would have hated it a few years ago.
    Would highly (strongly in fact) recommend Yo-Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone. Not only is it stunning music, but the recording and master are astonishing.

A must for Sergio Leone fans as well.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 09:22:38
    THFourteen wrote:
    Headphones wise, i still love my Sennheiser bluetooth mmx 550s i know people hate on bluetooth, but the convenience is amazing, and with apt-x they sound fine with my galaxy s5
    I've had those headphones. Sorry to be a snob but they have no place in a audiophile thread.

Actually fuck that, I'm not sorry to be a snob. That was the whole point of the thread!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.