Following Audiophiles unite Page 3

• THFourteen 11 Jun 2014 09:39:25 52,549 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Headphones wise, i still love my Sennheiser bluetooth mmx 550s i know people hate on bluetooth, but the convenience is amazing, and with apt-x they sound fine with my galaxy s5
    I've had those headphones. Sorry to be a snob but they have no place in a audiophile thread.

Actually fuck that, I'm not sorry to be a snob. That was the whole point of the thread!
    hehe.

but you have WIRES. going in. you have WIRES coming out
  • fiery_jackass 11 Jun 2014 09:42:43 1,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still love my ageing set-up: a Pioneer a400 amp (still great if paired with warm speakers), Marantz 63 signature CD player, Kef Q1 speakers and, after a series of single blind tests, more-expensive-than-I'd-have-liked inter-connects and cables. My true love is my Castle Windsor (I think) floor-standers. Just lovely, beautifully made etc. Sadly they now live in my brother's house as the London flat just can't cope with their Castle-sized proportions.

These days, however, I mostly just plug my laptop into the amp and have at it. Convenience has beaten fidelity. Then again, my tastes generally run to rougher recordings anyway, so it's not like I'm listening out for a stifled burp from the third violinist.

I know the world of audiophilia is chock-full of bullshit. The audiophile-denying inverse, hugely popular view, seems like reactionary stupidity to me.

Edited by fiery_jackass at 09:47:44 11-06-2014
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 09:48:44 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Headphones wise, i still love my Sennheiser bluetooth mmx 550s i know people hate on bluetooth, but the convenience is amazing, and with apt-x they sound fine with my galaxy s5
    I've had those headphones. Sorry to be a snob but they have no place in a audiophile thread.

Actually fuck that, I'm not sorry to be a snob. That was the whole point of the thread!
    hehe.

but you have WIRES. going in. you have WIRES coming out
    Not sure you're getting this audiophile thing.
    /Shows door
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 09:52:18 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    I still love my ageing set-up: a Pioneer a400 amp (still great if paired with warm speakers), Marantz 63 signature CD player, Kef Q1 speakers and, after a series of single blind tests, more-expensive-than-I'd-have-liked inter-connects and cables. My true love is my Castle Windsor (I think) floor-standers. Just lovely, beautifully made etc. Sadly they now live in my brother's house as the London flat just can't cope with their Castle-sized proportions.

These days, however, I mostly just plug my laptop into the amp and have at it. Convenience has beaten fidelity. Then again, my tastes generally run to rougher recordings anyway, so it's not like I'm listening out for a stifled burp from the third violinist.

I know the world of audiophilia is chock-full of bullshit. The audiophile-denying inverse, hugely popular view, seems like reactionary stupidity to me.
    Your CD Player and amp were pretty much the go-to models at a certain price point back in the day :)

Your last point is certainly true.
  • phAge 11 Jun 2014 09:53:35 25,487 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    I still love my ageing set-up: a Pioneer a400 amp (still great if paired with warm speakers), Marantz 67 signature CD player, Kef Q1 speakers and, after a series of single blind tests, more-expensive-than-I'd-have-liked inter-connects and cables.
    I realise that my track record on the topic is somewhat... burdened... but I recently replaced my somewhat expensive cables with a thicker but MUCH less costly run of no-name copper, and if anything it has made my setup sound better. I'm never spending big bucks on cables again.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 09:54:01 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    True? It barely makes sense.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 09:55:27 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    I still love my ageing set-up: a Pioneer a400 amp (still great if paired with warm speakers), Marantz 67 signature CD player, Kef Q1 speakers and, after a series of single blind tests, more-expensive-than-I'd-have-liked inter-connects and cables.
    I realise that my track record on the topic is somewhat... burdened... but I recently replaced my somewhat expensive cables with a thicker but MUCH less costly run of no-name copper, and if anything it has made my setup sound better. I'm never spending big bucks on cables again.
    Cables do make a difference but it's not as simple as paying more. There's a lot of insanely overpriced shit out there, trying out different ones is definitely worth doing.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 09:56:35 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    True? It barely makes sense.
    It makes perfect sense to me.
    Hifi is full of bullshit and snake oil but the "you're all fools, all amps sound the same" retards are, well retards.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 09:56:58
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    These days, however, I mostly just plug my laptop into the amp and have at it. Convenience has beaten fidelity.
    More and more laptops are becoming the heart of audiophile set-ups. It's just the reality of where things are going. Get yourself a DAC and start buying lossless and you can have the best of both worlds. It's what I do.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 09:59:46 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A mate of mine with a very nice system (high end PMC speakers, bryston pre-amp and monoblocks etc.) has stopped using CDs as he bought a Bryston Digital Player which sounds better than his previous cd player in a similar price range.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 09:59:54 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You must be on the same wavelength then.

Tangentially, it is interesting (notsomuch) that while not actively saying 'it sounds the same', people are more and more willing to sacrifice quality for convenience.

Like TH14s bluetooth headphones or all the Sonos streaming around my house.

I used to be quite the audiophile with a reasonably mighty setup but now I just CBA with the wires and the versatility of sonos and streaming tech far outweighs pissing around with a CD.
  • fiery_jackass 11 Jun 2014 10:01:14 1,137 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    yep, the speaker cables I bought weren't the most expensive ones tested, but they certainly weren't the cheapest. They just seemed to work better with the slightly harsh sound that the Pioneer tends to produce. More money certainly doesn't make "objective betterness". Lovely marketing trick though, Beats and Monster laughing all the way to the bank etc
  • phAge 11 Jun 2014 10:01:20 25,487 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

In this case I think it is mainly down to the gauge used. My previous cables weren't exactly thin, but the new stuff is some pretty serious shit - could barely fit it in the terminals on the XTZ floorstanders. Bought 30 metres for 40 quid - bargain.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:01:58 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    fiery_jackass wrote:
    These days, however, I mostly just plug my laptop into the amp and have at it. Convenience has beaten fidelity.
    More and more laptops are becoming the heart of audiophile set-ups. It's just the reality of where things are going. Get yourself a DAC and start buying lossless and you can have the best of both worlds. It's what I do.
    The beginning of the end for me was getting a Rio Karma (the best portable music device evar). It supported OGG and FLAC and when paired with a dac, it replaced my CD player.

From there it was just a matter of time.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 10:02:48
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    A mate of mine with a very nice system (high end PMC speakers, bryston pre-amp and monoblocks etc.) has stopped using CDs as he bought a Bryston Digital Player which sounds better than his previous cd player in a similar price range.
    And of course, high res files are far higher quality than CDs.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:05:03 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Tangentially, it is interesting (notsomuch) that while not actively saying 'it sounds the same', people are more and more willing to sacrifice quality for convenience.

I used to be quite the audiophile with a reasonably mighty setup but now I just CBA with the wires and the versatility of sonos and streaming tech far outweighs pissing around with a CD.
    Audiophiles aren't sacrificing quality for convenience, that's the while point.
    Some are, finding out that you may not need to sacrifice quality for convenience but that's not the same.

You getting older and NBA with the effort it takes to get the best sound quality doesn't have much to do with "audiophiles"
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:06:07 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    And of course, high res files are far higher quality than CDs.
    He's just using his ripped CDs so far but find that they sound better, probably down to the lack of moving parts, no jitter etc.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 10:07:30
    RE: Sonos, I have a load of them round my house as like nick, I just choose convenience for my home stuff.

That said, it does piss me off that it doesn't support 24bit. I assume that will change once the whole HD music thing really kicks off, and again, it seems like the whole world is just waiting for Apple to get on board.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:09:54 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I choose convenience and quality.
    For background music I have all my music lossless and streamed via Airplay to my hi-fi.
    When I sit down to listen I put vinyl (or occasionally a CD on).
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:13:24 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Some are, finding out that you may not need to sacrifice quality for convenience but that's not the same.

You getting older and NBA with the effort it takes to get the best sound quality doesn't have much to do with "audiophiles"

A lot of people are lapsing is the point im trying to make. Its perfectly possible to be into something and accept convenience over quality.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 10:15:13
    Out of interest, how do you have all your music lossless?
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:16:21 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

A lot of people are lapsing is the point im trying to make. Its perfectly possible to be into something and accept convenience over quality.
    Of course, plenty of people are into music and hi-fi and especially as they get older move towards convenience and compromise more on quality.
    My point was that audiophiles, by definition, do not.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:17:45 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Out of interest, how do you have all your music lossless?
    I download lossless versions of my vinyl lps (well most of it), I'm still consolidating some stuff.
    LPs always have either a download code (albeit sometimes lossy) or (thankfully more and more often) the cd in a sleeve.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:22:46 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Im assuming he rips them to FLAC and onto a nas of somesort, but then I didnt think airplay supported flac.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:23:12 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Im assuming he rips them to FLAC and onto a nas of somesort, but then I didnt think airplay supported flac.
    It's all ALAC which airplay supports.
    All on my iMac which is always running.
    I should switch to a NAS at some point.

Edited by Armoured_Bear at 10:23:47 11-06-2014
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:23:42 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    My point was that audiophiles, by definition, do not.
    I think its perfectly possible to be a lapsed audiophile, but then we are getting into the realms of annoying nit-picking.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:27:18 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I wouldnt be hugely happy about ripping everything to ALAC but then I suppose its hobsons choice.

Apple dont support FLAC and not a lot else supports ALAC.
  • nickthegun 11 Jun 2014 10:28:46 78,293 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Although, having said that, more and more hardware companies are getting onboard with airplay.
  • Armoured_Bear 11 Jun 2014 10:35:20 27,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I wouldnt be hugely happy about ripping everything to ALAC but then I suppose its hobsons choice.

Apple dont support FLAC and not a lot else supports ALAC.
    I have the benefit of the iTunes -> iPhone onthefly ripping to 256kbps from ALAC and some of the high end music streamers that I'm likely to use seem to support ALAC.
    Otherwise I could convert all to FLAC at some point if really necessary.
  • Deleted user 11 June 2014 10:38:52
    Right, so you're getting lossless files but probably not hi-res ones, in which case you are indeed compromising for convenience.

@nickthegun ALAC is more and more becoming universally supported. I think everyone has just accepted that Apple control the music download market so there's little choice in the matter.

Again, once Apple push the button their HD store or whatever's in the works, I'd be amazed if the likes of Sonos didn't start supporting 24bit ALAC. They'd be stupid not to.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.