Following Audiophiles unite Page 25

• mal 24 Oct 2017 22:38:26 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think that was the case until people realised how well MDF works. MDF looks like crap, but it really pays well against solid woods when it comes to speaker manufacturer. Almost anyone worth their salt only veneers their MDF speakers to make them look like real wood these days. Now, overly thin MDF and underpadded MDF will still resonate too much and muddy the sound, but provided it's robust and padded enough to muffle direct reflections, you're good to go. I'd agree good carpentry skills are essential still, but the materials they use are the ones they use for the backs of kitchen units behind the nice scultpted wooden fronts.
  • Mr_Sleep 24 Oct 2017 23:28:44 22,196 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @UncleLou you are probably right about the wood element, I do not know enough to say one way or the other. I kind of assume it is just sales talk bit I dont know.
  • mal 25 Oct 2017 00:10:59 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    I've been thinking about selling my pioneer cdjs and getting a pair of sl 1200s instead.
    Is dj-ing frowned upon in this thread?
    No, but it'll pay you to make it clear that you're talking about dj stuff whenever you talk about it here. It's hi-fi by default this place, at least for the time being.

I know DJ decks and hi-fi decks are different beasts IMO, and mixers are unheard of in these halls thus far, and I assume amplifiers are going to be different and often integrated into the mixer, I assume, to save on setup and space. And the sound systems are rather different to anything you'd install in your living room.
  • mrharvest 25 Oct 2017 03:16:17 5,586 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    mal wrote:
    I think that was the case until people realised how well MDF works. MDF looks like crap, but it really pays well against solid woods when it comes to speaker manufacturer.
    Yeah, for sure. Pretty much every box out there is MDF, and not much wrong with that. It's an acoustically easy material to work with - since it's a composite, and fairly dense at that, it doesn't have much in the way of natural resonances.

It's not the best material necessarily though. Remember the aluminium Elac speakers which were fab, or B&W Nautilus. Those were made of plastic and I'm pretty sure anyone who's heard them would say they are in the very top 1% of speakers in the world. (Though I'd rather have my Quads back instead of the Nautilus, but that's neither here nor there.)
  • Gurgy 25 Oct 2017 06:13:10 2,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As a former supplier of speaker cabinets to a few well known names in the audio industry I agree that most used MDF and plain old “standard” grade MDF at that. They may well have done their own internal testing for the acoustic qualities of the MDF but all but one ended up accepting standard grade.

Only one of the companies we dealt with was different and they chose a particular grade of Finnish chipboard which we believed to be as a result of their acoustic testing along with other practical things such as screw holding properties etc.

Also even the “high end” companies we supplied only ever asked us for a paper foil (wood grain effect) or PVC finish (plain colours) rather than the more expensive wood veneers

Interesting people to supply (the freebies were good) but now sadly all ended.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Oct 2017 10:05:26 25,896 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gurgy wrote:
    As a former supplier of speaker cabinets to a few well known names in the audio industry I agree that most used MDF and plain old “standard” grade MDF at that. They may well have done their own internal testing for the acoustic qualities of the MDF but all but one ended up accepting standard grade.

Only one of the companies we dealt with was different and they chose a particular grade of Finnish chipboard which we believed to be as a result of their acoustic testing along with other practical things such as screw holding properties etc.

Also even the “high end” companies we supplied only ever asked us for a paper foil (wood grain effect) or PVC finish (plain colours) rather than the more expensive wood veneers

Interesting people to supply (the freebies were good) but now sadly all ended.
    Interesting, who were the good guys?

My ProAc D15 speakers are finished in a yew veneer, was quite an extra but worth it.
    Shame you don’t see that finish these days.
  • Gurgy 25 Oct 2017 11:32:06 2,870 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bose (one reason why I put high end in quotes as I know they have a certain reputation).

They required a certain chipboard and it was good quality stuff but became a nightmare to source (party as it had to be 1/2 inch thick which isn’t common in the UK hence originally a Finnish supplier).
    We wrapped the boards in 170 micron PVC (black, grey and white) which they used as hinge for the speaker wrap.

Edited by Gurgy at 11:32:57 25-10-2017
  • mrharvest 25 Oct 2017 12:21:37 5,586 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's very interesting to hear, Gurgy. Speaking of Finnish manufacturers, Genelec use a cast aluminium enclosure for their monitors. Bunch of other manufacturers in that tiny country too.
  • BillMurray 30 Nov 2017 14:39:41 9,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bought an old Marantz 2238 receiver and a Sansui turntable a couple of years ago and today I finally bought some speakers! Found a pair of Scandyna A25s with trolley stands for 100 quid. Can't wait to get them set up.
  • whatthefu 3 Dec 2017 16:59:01 1,168 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm looking to buy a second pair of speakers.
    My amp has Tannoy F1 Custom speakers which are no longer made so I need a new set to match with them.
    The F1s are rated at 8ohms and 100w, would I be able to pair these speakers with a 6 ohm pair such as the Wharfdale 9.1 Diamonds.
    Would each speaker pair produce the same volume?

Edited by whatthefu at 17:01:22 03-12-2017
  • EMarkM 3 Dec 2017 17:11:18 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hullo all.

Please forgive me; I haven’t read the entire thread.

Any advice available regarding sourcing a new hi-fi system for my home?

Having recently sorted through my old collections of cassettes, vinyl and CDs, we’d now like to actually play some of them.

I’d imagined picking up the modern day equivalent of my old Nineties hi-fi system. Something with turntable, twin deck cassettes and CD player, with an auxiliary port that would support my iPhone, plus the usual pair of stereo speakers.

Seems such things are rarer than we had anticipated.

Thanks in advance.
  • mrharvest 3 Dec 2017 18:22:44 5,586 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    :D

No, it's simple, all you have to do is step through a wormhole into an alternate dimension where cassette is still being used.

But seriously, it depends. What's your budget, how much time do you want to sink into choosing the components vs. picking up whatever. This is the audiophile thread, so I think most people here will only applaud the fact that those ridiculous combo systems have all but disappeared off the face of the planet.
  • EMarkM 3 Dec 2017 18:35:47 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mrharvest Heh :D Thanks for getting back to me!

I don’t really need professional kit, just something to fill our modest lounge with reasonable quality sound. I currently play CDs through the PS3 into a Panasonic telly with the Panasonic 2.1 soundbar, and that is definitely sufficient.

Main thing we’re missing is the turntable I suppose, as there’s still a little ghettoblaster knocking about that we could play the tapes through in a pinch.

So, maybe just turntable, amp and speakers after all. Don’t want to spend a fortune.

I’ll investigate the time travel option!!!!
  • Deleted user 3 December 2017 19:10:16
    An alternative suggestion could be ebay. Some sort of 90s set of matching separates or other unit  might suit your needs. I guess tapes died out around 10 or more years ago.
  • EMarkM 3 Dec 2017 19:20:50 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DukeSilver Cheers; I’ll take a look.

I do like new kit, though. Might take a trip over to the local Richer Sounds to see what stuff still exists :)
  • mal 3 Dec 2017 19:30:22 29,326 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, you used to get all kinds of bits like this in car boot sales, but I've knocked buying tat from those on the head long ago by now. Ebay's probably the closest thing we now have assuming you don't live in Billericay or somewhere else where those things still happen.
  • EMarkM 3 Dec 2017 21:40:05 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks everyone; we’ll start taking a proper look around :)
  • Tomo 3 Dec 2017 22:40:07 16,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Hullo all.

Please forgive me; I haven’t read the entire thread.

Any advice available regarding sourcing a new hi-fi system for my home?

Having recently sorted through my old collections of cassettes, vinyl and CDs, we’d now like to actually play some of them.

I’d imagined picking up the modern day equivalent of my old Nineties hi-fi system. Something with turntable, twin deck cassettes and CD player, with an auxiliary port that would support my iPhone, plus the usual pair of stereo speakers.

Seems such things are rarer than we had anticipated.

Thanks in advance.

***Hipster Trigger Warning***

So! I was given my first vinyl player as a birthday present this weekend. My girlfriend thought it was an all in one jobbie, and didn't realise it needed an amp/speakers etc. Bless. So, the weekend quickly escalated after a fair amount of research and a trip to Richer Sounds.

I ended up with a pair of Monitor Bronze 2 speakers and an Onkyo A9010 amp, and some floor stands for the speakers. The guy chucked in some of his best cabling and insisted he was doing me a massive favour. Personally find it hard to believe the grade of metal in a tube will make much difference. But perhaps not best to start that argument.

Anyway, I basically researched via Reddit, pricing on Amazon (Richer is basically as good/better) and these links:

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-choose-and-set-stereo-amplifier

https://www.themasterswitch.com/how-to-match-speakers-and-amps

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/18nidn/beginners_guide_to_home_audio/

https://pitchfork.com/features/article/9871-how-to-buy-the-best-turntable-and-stereo-system-for-your-record-collection/

I realise this isn't exactly what you're after, but might be useful. Fwiw, the motivation for my purchases was better then budget speakers and entry-level but good amp, which I can upgrade once I actually know wtf I'm doing.

Sounds fupping great after all that.

Edited by Tomo at 00:14:24 04-12-2017
  • EMarkM 3 Dec 2017 22:44:00 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo Brilliant, thank you very much for going to the trouble of posting that info.

I’ll have a proper read through in the morning.

Cheers.
  • mrharvest 4 Dec 2017 08:56:40 5,586 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @EMarkM ;)
    Well, that still doesn't give much of an indication of your budget. But let's take it to mean cheap. Pro Ject does decent budget stuff, for example here is a cheapo at Richer Sounds:
    https://www.richersounds.com/clearance-bargains/in-store/88/project-elemental-silver.html?instore

Pair it with a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10. It has a phono input for MM cartridges.
    https://www.richersounds.com/cambridge-am10-blk.html

Speakers... Budget speakers I can't recommend. So try what they have in store in your budget and pick the least offensive option.
  • TheJackKetch 4 Dec 2017 09:17:04 170 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @EMarkM I would add that when going to buy speakers take your own music, as some speakers lend themselves to certain types of music over others.
  • EMarkM 4 Dec 2017 15:27:41 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Many, many thanks, everyone. Your good advice will be heeded. Cheers.
  • Tomo 4 Dec 2017 22:39:44 16,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I got a Pro-Ject Primary btw. Wasn't my choice, but seems great to me. The Elemental looks a bit weird imo, but guess up to you. Generally Pro-Ject and Rega seem like the go-to entry level but decent turntables.
  • Tomo 4 Dec 2017 22:42:37 16,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also... as I am literally discovering as I type this, shite recordings really do sound shite on vinyl, lol :p

I got Massive Attack Live at Royal Albert Hall as I didn't know it even existed... Andddd, I'm regretting it tbh. Sounds like someone recorded it on their Nokia 3310 after dropping it in the bath...
  • EMarkM 4 Dec 2017 23:12:41 4,480 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Tomo Heh :D
  • Dirtbox 15 Dec 2017 02:25:47 91,018 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Love this guys videos, here's a nice piece of audiophile squaz for you.

• nickthegun 15 Dec 2017 06:35:30 76,786 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Since this has been bumped, I meant to post this the other day but....

Neil Young has put his money where his mouth is and put his music on the internet at balls out high quality:

https://www.neilyoungarchives.com

Well with a look
  • greg_wha 15 Dec 2017 07:19:00 1,258 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @nickthegun Nice one, I’ve been meaning to post about this since I heard about it.
    Fair play to him, I think it’s free for 6 months then they’ll ask a ‘modest sub’ which I’m guessing will be a fiver a month.
    Classic Young though, the UI isn’t the simplest by a long stretch.
  • jimnastics 15 Dec 2017 12:18:21 1,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Holy shitballs that's fucking awesome...
  • BillMurray 15 Dec 2017 12:20:49 9,382 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone used Van Damme speaker cables before? Any cop? Bought a pair for my new(40 year old) A-25s mainly because they look pretty chunky and they're a nice blue colour.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.