Following Audiophiles unite Page 27

• nickthegun 14 Apr 2018 08:49:51 77,815 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It’s still a hell of a lot of money just to play a few Katie Melua albums.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 09:04:40 26,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I’d love to know what the observational bias from
    my girlfriend was when she had no idea which was which and doesn’t give a shot about hiifi.

And you trust her opinion? She probably just picked the one she thought you wanted her to say to keep you happy
    How would she know that when she walked in the door and I said “listen a sec”, “ do these sound different” “ which one sounds better?” ?
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Apr 2018 09:11:48 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Non verbal communication. Or perhaps a fifty fifty guess.
  • Lukus 14 Apr 2018 09:12:31 21,932 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Because it would be whatever new, expensive thing you've put in the house you share, presumably.
    Anyway, the important thing is you like it.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 09:13:50 26,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Because it would be whatever new, expensive thing you've put in the house you share, presumably.
    Anyway, the important thing is you like it.
    And how would she know which one was playing ?
    Hint : she couldn’t.
  • Lukus 14 Apr 2018 09:17:11 21,932 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Did you blindfold her?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Apr 2018 09:21:03 15,733 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In these situations there’s all sorts of verbal and non-verbal cues you’d have given her. It’s almost impossible not to lead your subject, particularly when you subconsciously want them to choose one option. Professional researchers are trained to avoid this.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 09:28:44 26,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Did you blindfold her?
    No, both sources were playing simultaneously and I switched the amp input with the remote. There is no visual indication to her of which source is which.
  • mrharvest 14 Apr 2018 09:44:49 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    No, both sources were playing simultaneously and I switched the amp input with the remote. There is no visual indication to her of which source is which.
    Wow, then it's very interesting. So this was Linn Akurate and Pioneer SC-LX70 playing same material and level matched?

That's a very interesting result! Good to hear the Linn is performing well.

This is mildly relevant:
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14975-Double-Blind-tests-*did*-show-amplifiers-to-sound-different
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 10:09:02 26,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Wow, then it's very interesting. So this was Linn Akurate and Pioneer SC-LX70 playing same material and level matched?

That's a very interesting result! Good to hear the Linn is performing well.

This is mildly relevant:
    http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?14975-Double-Blind-tests-*did*-show-amplifiers-to-sound-different
    Yes, in this case the files were ALAC rips of One Nil by Neil Finn stored on my iMac.
    Streamed from my iTunes Library using Airplay to the Pioneer SC-LX70 which is connected to my pre-amp using the pre-outs.
    The files were also located on my Macbook Pro on the Kazoo Server which streams to the Linn Akurate DS/1 which is connected to a different source on my pre-amp.

I level matched using the SPL Meter App on my iPhone so it's clearly not the most accurate levelling but even when i increased the level of the Airplay Stream so that it was clearly louder than the Linn, the Linn was still clearly better.

I've had hi-fi changes or "upgrades" over the years where the changes were very subtle and possibly only existing due to subconsciously wanting to hear something, there are other changes which were significantly better, this is one of them.

Cheers for the link, I'll take a look.
  • mrharvest 14 Apr 2018 10:28:29 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm, could it have been related to Airplay / Kazoo? I'm just really surprised to hear there was such an obvious difference between two fairly high quality DACs. Very interesting indeed.
  • Armoured_Bear 14 Apr 2018 11:20:44 26,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    Hmm, could it have been related to Airplay / Kazoo? I'm just really surprised to hear there was such an obvious difference between two fairly high quality DACs. Very interesting indeed.
    Maybe the analogue output stage?
    Maybe DACs do differ more than some believe?
  • mrharvest 14 Apr 2018 13:38:52 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah, dunno man. This is one of those cases where I put up my hands and say that I don't know what mechanisms are at play here.

I've seen so many measurements that would indicate that there can't be this much of a difference between two non-broken, decently designed DACs but proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I all I can say is very interesting.
  • SnackPlissken 4 May 2018 10:03:56 972 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I've got an original project debut, and it makes a lot of motor noise/rumble. I've taken it apart to see if there's a loose bearing etc, and it all seems alright. I even greased the bearings to see if this would sort it out.. nope nothing :( I could try buying a new motor from henley audio, but still £50 risk on it maybe not resolving the problem.
    I saw henley audio do a repair service, which is still costly..
    https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/turntable-servicing or just buy a new turntable.. any advice?
  • breakablepants 4 May 2018 13:38:09 1,030 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    I've got an original project debut, and it makes a lot of motor noise/rumble. I've taken it apart to see if there's a loose bearing etc, and it all seems alright. I even greased the bearings to see if this would sort it out.. nope nothing :( I could try buying a new motor from henley audio, but still £50 risk on it maybe not resolving the problem.
    https://www.henleyaudio.co.uk/turntable-servicing or just buy a new turntable.. any advice?
    Seeing as there are very few moving parts on it, any noise is typically platter/bearing, drive belt, or motor. So if it's the motor, it's more than likely you'd need to replace it as they are sealed units.

Always a hard one with turntables as getting one serviced is typically half the cost of a new one :-)

If you've had it a while (the original Debut came out well over 10 years ago??) then the current gen of ProJect and Rega turntables are great for the money. The Sony turntable with USB-out has also had a price drop. As always, depends how much you want to spend...
  • SnackPlissken 4 May 2018 16:41:29 972 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    breakablepants wrote:
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Seeing as there are very few moving parts on it, any noise is typically platter/bearing, drive belt, or motor. So if it's the motor, it's more than likely you'd need to replace it as they are sealed units.

Always a hard one with turntables as getting one serviced is typically half the cost of a new one :-)

If you've had it a while (the original Debut came out well over 10 years ago??) then the current gen of ProJect and Rega turntables are great for the money. The Sony turntable with USB-out has also had a price drop. As always, depends how much you want to spend...
    Well to be fair I got it off ebay about 2007-ish, so it wasn't even new when I bought it! it has served me very well. Yeah I've been looking at the Rega Planar 1, as it seems to have got very good reviews. I guess that's the sort of price I'd be looking at seeing as I have an onkyo a-9010, so I presume I wouldn't see loads of benefit from some mega fancy carbon one haha!
  • mrharvest 5 May 2018 05:33:13 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I haven't tried the Planar 1 but I had a Planar 3 for 15 years or so. It was rock solid and always worked great.
  • Rufus 7 May 2018 19:21:53 1,841 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've finally hit a point where I'm sick of Apple computers and going to be shifting to PC shortly.....

Any recommendations for a DAW for someone who has been using Logic since the emagic days? I've used some of the main ones (Cubase and Pro-Tools mainly) but they were much older versions and would like some feedback from you lot....
  • Mr_Sleep 7 May 2018 19:25:49 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rufus it depends on whether you just want someting to lay down some tracks or something with more features out of the box.

There are a number of cheap options available that will fulful many criteria but do not have all the bells and whistles.
  • mrharvest 7 May 2018 20:34:28 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I used to use Logic at home (and occasionally Harrison for down mixing) and Protools at work. Now I just use Reaper. It's very customisable and with AATranslator it fits my workflow well enough.

I consider Nuendo every once in a while. It would be strictly speaking better for my work but then I get that "why fix it if it ain't broke".
  • Mr_Sleep 7 May 2018 21:04:00 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I use Reaper too, it is cheap and works well enough for recording. It doesn't have quite as many features as ProTools or Logic and the sends are a bit obtuse but for just laying down some tracks it is fine.

One problem with Pro Tools now is that it is subscription-based. So for a potterer like myself it is far from value for money, whereas $60 for Reaper is perfect.
  • Rufus 8 May 2018 11:24:36 1,841 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Aye, I downloaded a trial of Reaper (a few years back) and quite liked what I saw. I'm not any kind of professional user, so I think it could be a good option to get me up and running. I only have a few external plugins and they should be easy enough to transfer over/re-download.

I'm trying to avoid anything subscription based (I hate that so many things are headed that way) as I just wouldn't be able to justify it.

Thank you both :)
  • Tomo 21 Nov 2018 00:48:56 16,570 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Soooo... anyone Hi-Res audio enthusiasts around?

I've been looking into it recently and thinking of getting a Sony NW-A45. It's just come up on Amazon Black Friday for £115 which is quite a chunk off the usual ~£150 price.

I've got Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones, so the cans should be plenty capable themselves.

My greater concern is getting the Hi-Res audio itself... I don't really want to pay again for my music collection from sites like HDtracks, etc, when I already have vinyls, CDs, and a Spotify subscription... But, do I have any other choices? Tidal? Naughty sites?!
  • whatthefu 23 Nov 2018 22:11:51 1,218 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought there was a thread on headphones but I can't find it.
    I have a set of bluetooth headphones, AKG Y50BT, and I like them but on bluetooth they don't go loud enough.

Can anyone recommend a good/better set of headphones that go -loud- on bluetooth?
  • mrharvest 24 Nov 2018 05:49:44 5,591 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bluetooth and audiophiles don't mix. (:

There is a headphone thread.
    https://community.eurogamer.net/thread/248463?start=690

Funny enough you're the last poster in the thread too!
  • THFourteen 24 Nov 2018 05:55:05 51,946 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @whatthefu

Dunno how loud these go but seems like a good deal

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZRG5MN/ref=asc_df_B074ZRG5MN57062446/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B074ZRG5MN&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309757320705&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9022368372745544414&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9045931&hvtargid=pla-367628915245&th=1&psc=1
  • SamNunn92 29 Nov 2018 18:07:31 835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's the best way to get Spotify into a HiFi? It has an optical in as well as usual phono inputs etc, was thinking along the lines of a Chromecast Audio or similar.

Edited by SamNunn92 at 18:08:18 29-11-2018
  • Spectral 24 Apr 2019 05:05:38 6,190 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Pretty sure it doesn't count as audiophile quality but this was the nearest thread I could find. Has anyone tried the Soundblaster X Katana? Only got headphones atm and fancy some beefy audio but don't have the space for anything too elaborate.
  • THFourteen 24 Apr 2019 10:18:08 51,946 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is this for your pc? Don’t most folk go for a nice pair of bookshelf speakers thesedays?
  • Spectral 24 Apr 2019 14:13:47 6,190 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Is this for your pc? Don’t most folk go for a nice pair of bookshelf speakers thesedays?
    PC and consoles in a bedroom. Don't really have the space for proper speakers. I also like that its a USB DAC for both PC and PS4. But dont want it if its shit. Although most reviews seem glowing, other than the price

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.