• nickthegun 20 Aug 2019 08:33:55 81,739 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This guy almost had me extending the mortgage

https://youtu.be/G_f5H7S2ZJo
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Aug 2019 08:50:56 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís just such a steep learning curve, particularly with turntables. You go straight from plug and play to super complex high end stuff.
  • THFourteen 20 Aug 2019 09:00:41 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Anyone with any experience with AfterShokz "Bone Conduction" headphones?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AfterShokz-Conduction-Bluetooth-Headphones-Microphone-grey/dp/B018XNGQOE/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=aftershokz&qid=1566213462&s=gateway&sr=8-6

I'm a little tempted to pick up a pair but don't really know what I'm in for. I'm finding overears in the heat and commute too much, and hate putting buds in my ear, so is this a feasible solution?
    I had a pair which i bought for cycling, gave them to a friend who actually uses his bike when mine is normally in the shed..

TLDR - they do the job they are intended for. Sound quality is poor, fine for podcasts but in no way close to a reasonable pair of in-ears.

They are like little mini speakers so anyone standing next to you can hear what your are listening to quite loudly.

But i felt safe listening to podcasts when on my bike which is what i wanted them for.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Aug 2019 09:27:31 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Anything that isnít a forum?
    The Absolute Sound

hifipigisn't bad for being informed of new products and stuff , not convinced by their reviews though.

I'll try and post some more later.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Aug 2019 09:32:40 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I can see why...
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Aug 2019 09:37:32 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

His websitelooks good.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Aug 2019 09:51:16 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thatís exactly the sort of thing Iíve been looking for.

What cartridge do you use AB?
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Aug 2019 14:02:41 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís exactly the sort of thing Iíve been looking for.

What cartridge do you use AB?
    I have a Benz Micro Wood SL, it's pricy but I'm very happy with it.
    Before that I went through a few from the likes of Ortofon, Audio Technica and Shelter
  • Tomo 20 Aug 2019 14:22:26 17,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Er wow. I went one up from my supplied Ortofon and felt guilty paying almost half the turntable cost just for a fucking small needle.
  • Tomo 20 Aug 2019 14:23:27 17,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I should add, my GF managed to jam the previous cartridge into a vinyl and bent it out of shape. I imagine that happening to a £1k cartridge and get the shivers.
  • Tomo 20 Aug 2019 14:24:56 17,693 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

£11k (!!!!!)
  • BinaryBob101 20 Aug 2019 14:26:55 27,748 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ha! Hifi Pig, run by a really good mate of mine who I worked with many years ago. Funny to see Stu name checked on EG. I'll tell him to brush up the reviews!

Seriously though SM for this stuff is full of sycophantic twats. He'd want to know. What's your issue with their reviews dude?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Aug 2019 14:33:23 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmmm, nice. I think that would be huge overkill for my table (Pro-Ject DC).

I have an Ortofon red at the moment but itís a bit bright for my tastes, and itís showing up every flaw in my mostly quite old records. Iíve ordered a Nagoaka Mp-110 which is supposed to be warmer and better at hiding flaws.

I did find it hard working out what cartridges were suitable for my tone arm and how to then make a decision on which was the right one. And then again, at what point youíre overkilling on the cartridge and would be better off upgrading the table itself.

Seems super easy to get an entry level set-up but once you decide to start tinkering youíre immediately in the super deep end.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Aug 2019 14:35:22 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

£11k (!!!!!)
    Thatís not even mid-range with this stuff. You can buy speaker cables that costs more than that.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Aug 2019 14:51:23 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmmm, nice. I think that would be huge overkill for my table (Pro-Ject DC).

I have an Ortofon red at the moment but itís a bit bright for my tastes, and itís showing up every flaw in my mostly quite old records. Iíve ordered a Nagoaka Mp-110 which is supposed to be warmer and better at hiding flaws.

I did find it hard working out what cartridges were suitable for my tone arm and how to then make a decision on which was the right one. And then again, at what point youíre overkilling on the cartridge and would be better off upgrading the table itself.

Seems super easy to get an entry level set-up but once you decide to start tinkering youíre immediately in the super deep end.
    Vinyl Engine is great for that, has some
    Calculators to help figure out which carts work well with which arms.

One thing I really recommend for older records, if you donít already, is either a record cleaning machine (I have the okki-nokki one which was one of the cheaper ones) or the manual cleaner things like the disco antistat (on Amazon I think).
    It can be quite surprising how much better a properly clean record sounds.
  • quadfather 20 Aug 2019 14:55:59 36,597 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Half the challenge is making sure you're not gimping yourself by having other weak links in the vinyl chain. Like Kal says, you're practically chucked into the rabbit hole as soon as you buy the damn turntable.

I started to get into it at first but eventually settled on some average ortofons, as I've got an average mixer in the chain so it's fairly pointless going anywhere near mid range, never mind high end.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 20 Aug 2019 15:01:52 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I have an okki nokki too. It makes a big difference but it canít actually heal records sadly.

Vinyl Engine is useful, thanks.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Sep 2019 14:50:01 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, how do we feel about amp, pre-amp, streamer combo type things? I was always of the view separates are best, but even the high end guys seem to be moving towards these now.

Iím thinking something like this:

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/bluesound-powernode-2i

Or maybe in super sexy world something like this:

https://www.whathifi.com/naim/uniti-atom/review
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Sep 2019 15:43:45 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I havenít hear any of them to compare tbh, However, I am well impressed with how good my Linn Akurate Streamer sounds, apparently the Naim ones are also excellent .

Where did you read about high end guys moving towards them?
    Iíd be curious to know what has changed in modern hi-fi design/philosophy for the previously accepted advantages of separates to be deemed less than before.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 3 Sep 2019 15:51:42 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I mean, by high end I mean the likes of Linn and Naim and such. I would very much like a Linn combi but itís beyond my budget.

From what I understand the amp in things like the Uniti is literally identical to the separates amp. And I think Linn donít even make separate phono stages anymore.
  • breakablepants 4 Sep 2019 13:06:35 1,096 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did some work with Linn a few years ago. The reason to move towards single box solutions is mainly down to customers wanting things in smaller form factors that fit in with modern homes. So, in essence, it's all about how it looks.

At the Linn factory outside Glasgow they converted the old showroom into a working 'apartment' with working kitchen, bedrooms etc to better show the systems as they would look in a show home.

Of course there is a huge legacy and existing market for separates, and lots of people love high-end hifi for all of the customisation and tinkering. But the Linn, Naim and others saw that a lot of their potential market want suff that look like Sonos but sound better.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Sep 2019 14:52:46 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have to say, it is a general bugbear of mine how fucking ugly so much high end hifi stuff is. Linn are one of the few brands that design good looking stuff, which is largely because it mostly looks like it did in the 70s.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Sep 2019 18:22:58 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    breakablepants wrote:
    I did some work with Linn a few years ago. The reason to move towards single box solutions is mainly down to customers wanting things in smaller form factors that fit in with modern homes. So, in essence, it's all about how it looks.

At the Linn factory outside Glasgow they converted the old showroom into a working 'apartment' with working kitchen, bedrooms etc to better show the systems as they would look in a show home.

Of course there is a huge legacy and existing market for separates, and lots of people love high-end hifi for all of the customisation and tinkering. But the Linn, Naim and others saw that a lot of their potential market want suff that look like Sonos but sound better.
    Makes total sense, It seems as if there's still a market for the traditional separate stuff, e.g. they still make several separate phone stages Kalel, I can really imagine it will become less and less as the middle aged twats like me and old bits gradually disappear.

I love the sound of my system but it's huge and could really do with being updated and optimised, so much bloody money though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Sep 2019 18:46:36 19,703 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím sure I read they only did amps with built in phono now. Meh.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 4 Sep 2019 19:18:39 2,896 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Single box shit is why Ruark did the same, used to work as a mac operator opposite them and would do listening tests at lunchtimes for their new speakers.

They had to go that way sadly.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Sep 2019 20:00:06 28,818 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Single box shit is why Ruark did the same, used to work as a mac operator opposite them and would do listening tests at lunchtimes for their new speakers.

They had to go that way sadly.
    Fuck, they don't even make proper speakers now.
    They made some great stuff :(
  • uiruki 4 Sep 2019 20:19:54 5,196 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got my PCs running through some of their little MR1 speakers. Lot of sound for their size, plenty of connections and fit under my monitors.
  • nickthegun 4 Sep 2019 20:32:58 81,739 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's the MP3 theory, I suppose.

I had a good, mid tier rack of gear that got flooded in storage when I moved house a few years ago. I pretty much replaced it with Sonos stuff because convenience>quality.

That said, I do absolutely rue replacing my water damaged 1210s with a pioneer DDJ.

Edited by nickthegun at 20:33:31 04-09-2019
  • breakablepants 5 Sep 2019 09:34:49 1,096 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, it is indeed all about the MP3 for probably 99% of people these days ;-)

I have a love/hate with the audiophile thing really. I am a pure wannabe in that I don't actually spend the cash on the high-end gear I read about - mainly because I don't see a £5-10K leap in what I am hearing. So it goes into the 'when money is no issue' pile, after I have built the vintage car collection and have the private island in Barbados ;-)

I do always wonder how much the difference is in the mind of the listener, let alone the ears. The amount of pure bollocks I have heard over the years about improving sound quality is incredible.

The best one still was the salesperson who claimed that turning the felt mat on an LP12 upside down made things sound better.
  • breakablepants 5 Sep 2019 09:40:04 1,096 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Out of interest, has anyone listened to the Devialet gear? They got a lot of attention with the Phantom speaker, but the Expert amp/dac looks very interesting too

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.