Audiophiles unite Page 30

• uiruki 5 Sep 2019 09:45:20 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Theyíre the ones who still use PMPO figures like some mid-90s PC speaker manufacturer arenít they? The look is certainly striking though.
  • nickthegun 5 Sep 2019 09:50:54 79,230 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Im always amazed how quickly you get used to a sound. I had an accident recently and got a Jag as a loan car. Only had it for a week but the stereo made my BMW sound like shit when I got back into it, but I'm used to it again now.

Same with the Sonos. I did notice that it didn't sound as good as my old gear, but I got used to the loss of fidelity very quickly.

Oh, and Ive only heard the Sky Q Soundbar thing from Devialet. Its a lot better than my beam for music but I don't think its anywhere near as good for its day job of just being attached to a TV.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Sep 2019 11:22:24 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some Jags and Landrovers have Meridian sound systems in them. Had a demo on a top of the range Range Rover when I was doing some work with them and it was absolutely fucking amazing. One of the best sounds Iíve heard in any context.
  • breakablepants 5 Sep 2019 12:36:06 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think Meridian and Linn also fit out superyachts, if that's in your budget.

Always thought that Meridian gear managed to be some of the ugliest around. For example, this lovely ergonomic remote control.

It's better these days, but not a lot IMHO.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Sep 2019 14:01:40 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I hate it.

Nearly all Ďstatementí hifi gear is fucking ugly imho.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Sep 2019 14:16:52 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yeah I hate it.

A lot of monstrosities out there.
    Is there any current stuff you think looks nice, apart from Linn?
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Sep 2019 14:17:42 27,514 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When I think about it, my Streamer, turntable and speakers look good.
    Everything else - not so much......
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Sep 2019 17:19:35 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yeah I hate it.

A lot of monstrosities out there.
    Is there any current stuff you think looks nice, apart from Linn?
    Most of the nice looking stuff retains a classic aesthetic. Thereís very few brands doing modern looking stuff tastefully.

I do actually like that Naim Uniti Atom thing a lot, but itís a bit of a departure from their usual style which I donít like. If that is the beginning of a new design language for them, itís encouraging.

There are some like Marantz, Rega etc that do some nice more modern looking stuff, but again itís because it retains classic styling, just slightly modernised.

Roksan do some nice bits.

I dunno. Iím not sure up on all the brands. But whenever I see some fancy Moon or Nad stuff it always strikes me as ugly. And statement speakers in particularly are just unbearably obnoxious.
  • breakablepants 5 Sep 2019 20:29:56 1,075 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it's really hard to find something that fits with the standard rectangle of metal we all expect, and to have some kind of strong aesthetic, and be on the right side of tasteful.

Quite a lot of stuff looks fine if you are matching within a brand - so, for example, if you have everything Cyrus or Roksan, then it looks OK, but if you mix and match it looks terrible.

I continue to have a love of chunky retro gear that's a bit brutalist - think the old brushed metal stuff from the 1980's from Pioneer, Sansui, etc. Some of the high-end gear from that era is still very sought after.

Of the modern stuff, for the same reason I like the look of Mackintosh' amps - possibly as I have a weakness for things with VU meters. But it's a very brutalist look!

At the moment I have 2 systems, mostly old or vintage. One is a Sansui AU555 with a technics 1210 Mk2 and the other is a Marantz PM66SE KI signature with a Michell Engineering Focus 1 turntable. It's all basically budget level gear.
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2019 20:54:58 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chaps Ė hoping for a little adviceÖ

Iíve never bought an amp or a sound card before, but today have been getting the itch. Iíve been eying up the Philips Fidelio X2HR recently as itís on offer with the X3 apprently around the corner, which got me thinking about it, and I also noticed a bit of a hiss at high volumes last night on my current headphones (V-Moda Crossfade M-100).

Iíve got some Corsair SP2500 speakers which have a little control LCD thing which you can plug headphones in, but Iím starting to suspect itís a bit shit (seems it might be to blame for the hiss...). The speakers are nice, but maybe they put the cash into that and cheaped out on the passthrough? And that gets me thinking, is the audio from my PC actually even that good? I know itís Ďpassableí but would it be better with an amp or sound card?

Anyway, tldr, Iíve been looking at the FiiO K3
    which is apparently a new model to replace the FiiO E10K.

I guess my questions are Ė

1 - Is this likely to make an actual difference, or have I just convinced myself through reading loads of bollocks reviews today?

2 Ė no idea what Iím doing with amps Ė can I connect my speakers to the back of the K3 and just plug in my headphones whenever I want? Will that improve the sound to the speakers too?

Total noob with this stuff so any thoughts would be a big help Ė cheers!

Edited by OnlyJoeKing at 21:02:26 13-10-2019
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2019 21:35:20 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reading back through this thread I feel like I've wandered into a fine restaurant and ordered a pint of wine...

/shuffles out
  • chopsen 13 Oct 2019 22:16:54 20,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah a usb headphone amp will definitely be a step up from plugging them in to that other plastic monstrosity. That's coming from someone who can't even pronounce half the stuff kal and ecosse are talking about.

FiiO do decent stuff. Have an old MP3 player by them and it is really is night and day compared to just using my phone.

I've also got a dinky topping usb dac/amp that does a much better job or working my headphones than my phone does on its own, and it really didn't cost that much.

Tl; Dr headphone amps are cost effective way of improving your kit if you use headphones, and it's not snake oil bullshit

Edited by chopsen at 22:17:31 13-10-2019
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2019 23:17:40 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @chopsen cheers! It's pretty impenetrable when you're not into it already. I've gone for it, interested to see the difference.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 07:46:59 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah Iíve got a FiiO jobbie a bit like that. Itís an amp and a DAC (digital analogue converter), and a good one too, certainly far better than whatís in your pc or phone. It should make a pretty big difference as chopsen says.

Welcome to the slippery slope.
  • OnlyJoeKing 14 Oct 2019 14:00:59 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha, yes... I was up till gone 2am researching the merits of different desktop amps... it begins

Though I listen to pretty agricultural music, so this hopefully won't become too much of an obsession!
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Oct 2019 14:08:26 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The real solution to the problem of audiophilia taking over your life is to have little money to spend. This has been my tactic for years.
  • uiruki 14 Oct 2019 14:08:36 4,981 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    Though I listen to pretty agricultural music, so this hopefully won't become too much of an obsession!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tb63PdPweDc
  • gamingdave 14 Oct 2019 14:11:04 4,833 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I started with a Fiio E07k, and it made a huge difference to both my phone and PC/Mac listening.

I then upgraded to an Oppo HA2 and it was a step up again, but not as big as before, and much less bang for buck. I had been given a voucher though as an xmas present, so it cost me nothing really.

I am now on a Fiio X7 Mk2 which sounds amazing, and as it's Android based supports Spotify which is handy, but also has 400GB storage which is great for all my FLAC files.

I'd recommend Fiio DAC/Amps to anyone, and even the entry level stuff makes a noticeable difference
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 14:35:55 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ok, so the new turntable hunt.

Iíll get my bonus at the end of January so it sort of depends how juicy that is. But thereís a few contenders.

At the bottom end thereís a Marantz tt15s1. Advantages are itís an all in one plug and play and all the components are pretty good, especially the cart which costs £900 or so just on its own, so itís very good value. Con is itís not very upgradeable.

Similarly thereís the Avid Ingenium which is also an all in one and I really like the Avid sound, but again, kind of no upgrade path.

If the bonus is juicy and I save hard things get a bit more interesting. Thereís the classic Michell Gyrodec which I absolutely love. Thereís the Avid Diva II which again I like the Avid sound. Thereís the Rega P8 which I kind of hate the design of but is a great deck in that price range. And various other things of interest, but itís the Michell I think Iím most into, ideally with an SME309.

And thereís also the turntable Iíve wanted for maybe 30 years which is the LP12. I could potentially just about stretch maybe to the base model. But Iím aware they are an absolute ball ache in maintenance and servicing and I think it would be a terrible choice for me. But Iíll always want one.
  • mrpon 14 Oct 2019 15:12:45 35,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why did I click on this thread? Now I want a turntable.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 15:17:12 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Interestingly you get the same endorphins from deciding to buy something as you do actually buying it. So just decide to buy one and then donít for all the joys of ownership with none of the expense.
  • mrpon 14 Oct 2019 15:22:34 35,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :D I'll live vicariously through this thread!
  • monkman76 14 Oct 2019 15:22:53 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    These are for DJing / mixing, right? Please tell me people don't pay thousands just for listening?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 15:28:25 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Very much just for listening lol.

If it was for DJing Iíd spend far less.
  • monkman76 14 Oct 2019 15:29:24 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ on a bike. What differentiates a £2000 turntable from a £200 one?

/joins Higgy's revolution
  • mrpon 14 Oct 2019 15:34:40 35,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A zero?
  • monkman76 14 Oct 2019 15:40:36 15,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A rock solid 33rpm with no dips and no tearing?

/DF

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.