Audiophiles unite Page 32

Next Last
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 14 Oct 2019 23:04:48 2,281 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Christ on a bike. What differentiates a £2000 turntable from a £200 one?

/joins Higgy's revolution
    R&d for a low demand device and diminishing returns. Components do cost a lot though - I was blind testing for ruark when they were building their 3rd gen floorstanders and the tweeters I preferred were £50 more alone.
  • quadfather 15 Oct 2019 09:40:00 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Ironically it's the flaws of vinyl that make it a .....I'll just say "different" experience so we don't have to do that silly conversation :)

Kal, that setup you're looking at - its for listening and you're going for a pure setup yeah? I.e. no mixers etc bottlenecking it?
    Yeah.
    You'll have to let us know what the rest of the kit is like that you're considering to go with it. This is what stopped me changing from 1210's + a mixer. I'd really like to chop and change, but unless I stumble onto a suitcase full of used 50's, it's always going to be out of my range as I'd have to replace the lot.

But I still get goosebumps on stuff with just the 1210s.

I should go to a store and check out some other stuff.

Or, knowing me, perhaps I should certainly not :D
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 10:39:18 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don’t have particularly high end kit. I have a nice but not stupidly high end Naim amp, a Cambridge Pre amp that was a couple of hundred quid, and some very decent but sub £1000 Dali floor standers. My current turntable is a ProJect DC carbon and I use a Nagoaka 110 cart. I use decent but not stupidly expensive audioquest cables.

The turntable upgrade will be a pretty big jump and I suspect I will need to consider a preamp upgrade to go with it, especially if I move to a MC cart, but otherwise I think the rest of my kit will still be fit for purpose.
  • quadfather 15 Oct 2019 10:57:25 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah sounds like you've got the prerequisites. What's driving the turntable upgrade?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Oct 2019 11:12:14 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My turntable is ‘fine’ but that’s about the nicest complement I can pay it. Currently there’s an absolute gulf in quality compared to my digital chain, and it’s just not a very interesting sound or experience. I want to address both of those so it sounds comparable in quality of experience to my digital chain (if not accuracy).

Also I’ve been collecting records for over 30 years and our living area is very much centred around the music system and my vinyl, and the turntable is kinda the ‘pièce de résistance’. Visually I’d like something that feels as much of a design statement as a functional music player.
  • chopsen 15 Oct 2019 11:35:52 20,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    So, some noobtastic first impressions of the FiiO K3:

- It’s a nice object

- It’s quite hard to tell the difference between the sound straight from my motherboard and this

- But I do think it sounds a bit better – hard to put your finger on, but maybe the motherboard sound comes across ever so slightly flat compared to this. It has maybe a touch more pop, more depth. But then, maybe I have just been reading too many dribbling audio tech reviews which say things like ‘personable’ sound

- BUT – the girlfriend agreed that it sounds better. Though she may have just been trying to change the subject as soon as possible…

So, on balance I do think it’s a slight improvement? My headphones are apparently quite easy to drive tbf, and my motherboard audio is apparently pretty decent, so I wasn’t expecting night and day. There are some undeniable positives though:

- No hissing noise, even at high volumes, so a vast improvement from my speakers' passthrough headphone jack – problem solved.

- It has a bass boost switch, which is great fun. For this alone I am definitely keeping it!

- It apparently works quite well with android phones, so maybe one day I’ll grab a USB-C to USB-C cable and take that lovely bass boost to work. I bet the ladies love a bit of sweet, portable audio tech.

- It’s not a £15,000 turntable…… jesus fucking christ
    Well, that just means....you now need to buy better headphones to appreciate the difference ;)

srsly tho: not having a hissing noise should be quite a significant benefit, no...?
  • quadfather 15 Oct 2019 12:01:32 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

Yup, understand both those points. The ritualistic approach of vinyl would definitely bolster your second point. And if you have 30 years worth, then that's all the excuse you need imo :)

Dammit, it's making me itch now with my kit.
  • SnackPlissken 15 Oct 2019 13:18:33 1,336 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The biggest difference I've found is upgrading my speakers. My old ones were very bass heavy and I wanted a more detailed sound.. the monitor branded ones fitted the bill and I'm pretty happy with the result.
  • chopsen 15 Oct 2019 13:24:57 20,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anything new is better. Any bit of kit that reproduces sounds in a different way to what you're used to means you'll hear stuff you didn't hear before. The new details stand out, but the stuff you lose doesn't seem to matter.

Buy a new, different 200 quid turntable every year instead of one turntable for 20k. You're good for the rest of your life.

I jest, of course.

....or do I?
  • quadfather 15 Oct 2019 13:54:00 35,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Must admit, when I change my cartridges on my decks, you can tell the difference. Pity they're so fucking expensive though :/
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Oct 2019 14:55:39 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @chopsen Yeah I'm pretty happy with it tbh. And have some Philips Fidelio X2HR's arriving in a day or two, so more goodies to play with...

(They're another pair with low impedance tbf, so again shouldn't make a colossal difference - but still, nice to have it. And the lovely bass boost switch!)
  • gamingdave 15 Oct 2019 15:28:49 4,833 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have a pair of X2's (which apparently are the same, bar new pads and headband tweaks on the HR). They are great for rock and some electronic stuff, a lot of fun with a very engaging sound.

I generally use my trusty Senn HD595 more, especially for films and general listening, as they just melt onto the head and I love the sound signature, but I don't regret adding the Philips to the collection. They should pair great with the Fiio too.
  • OnlyJoeKing 15 Oct 2019 16:54:56 1,006 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good good!

I listen to electronic stuff mostly; techno, trance, hardcore, hard house, dnb, terror, etc etc - so they should be good I hope. My V Moda Crossfade's are pretty bass heavy so that's nice but I fancied something open backed for longer use and gaming at home, and just to give it a crack, not had open backs before - should be interesting.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.