Audiophiles unite Page 34

• You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2021 11:26:59 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes but thatís a different format and experience. Buying something that is literally identical in every way to the thing Iím already paying for and have access to doesnít appeal. I do understand the supporting artists thing but itís a bit of a weird sell, and again Iím surprised people go for it.

If nothing else it seems an odd business model to me. Thereís an argument for the tier to be cheaper than the one where you donít get the discount, but with less content. Or something like that.

But whatever. I donít really care. Iím sure theyíve done the modelling and if it works it works, I just donít see the appeal really.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Jan 2021 11:33:04 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Yes but thatís a different format and experience. Buying something that is literally identical in every way to the thing Iím already paying for and have access to doesnít appeal. I do understand the supporting artists thing but itís a bit of a weird sell, and again Iím surprised people go for it.

If nothing else it seems an odd business model to me. Thereís an argument for the tier to be cheaper than the one where you donít get the discount, but with less content. Or something like that.

But whatever. I donít really care. Iím sure theyíve done the modelling and if it works it works, I just donít see the appeal really.
    Each to their own but the appeal is pretty clear to me, I like to own my music, for my own enjoyment and satisfaction as well as guaranteed access but also as a lot of the artists I love make fck all from streaming, especially with Covid and Brexit making it even harder for them to earn. However, I imagine it's a niche of middle-aged men like me that would be interested in it.
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2021 11:36:09 85,078 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I suspect itís possibly because they get a lot of account churn. I have no idea what their stats are but I would guess a lot of people sub in and out rather than letting it run like Spotify, so this would be a way of flogging people their go-to reference material so they at least make some money.
  • Tomo 13 Jan 2021 12:30:57 18,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah, I'm with kal. I don't like buying music digitally anyway. Let alone as part of a service where I'm giving them money just for access. It's obviously not wrong, but it feels weird to me.
  • tadejpogacar 2 Feb 2021 21:00:16 498 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone got the original Kef LS50s? They seem like they're pretty good value (£550 down from original RRP of £800) now that the LS50 Metas are out.

I'm trying to build a system now that I have my house renovation out the way. Candidate components so far include: Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 (turntable); Rega io (amp); and, speakers to be decided.

Edited by tadejpogacar at 21:01:52 02-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 2 Feb 2021 21:11:18 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíd give them a listen before you buy. They have a very forward presentation that I personally found a bit harsh. Not generally a fan of the Kef sound but I prefer a warmer bassier sound generally.

Probably worth a bit of Googling to see what people think pairs well with the io, if you havenít already.
  • tadejpogacar 2 Feb 2021 21:16:06 498 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Consensus seems to be the LS50s are very inefficient and need a 100W+ amp (Rega io is 30W) to drive them. Pain in the arse trying to audition this stuff in the time of corona, of course.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2021 13:04:15 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Couple of turntable related challenges.

First is Iím getting a bit of hum from my turntable. Itís not grounding causing it, but interference from being near other cables and components. Thereís nothing I can do about that, so Iím wondering if thereís any other solution. For example, would higher quality cables with more shielding help? Iím really loath to spend a fortune on cables as I really do think itís mostly snake oil, but if it reduces hum then it would be worth it.

The other issue is sometimes when my kids are running around, the vibrations make the record skip. I know you can get isolation platforms, but Iíve always assumed theyíre for lower level vibration from other devices and such. Would they help stop this, or is it not worth it?
  • breakablepants 5 Feb 2021 14:15:06 1,107 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What turntable have you got? Just wondering if it's got any built-in damping or suspension, like a Linn or most vintage turntables. For example, my vintage Michell Focus One has grunty sprung feet that seem to do the job.

Would putting the turntable on a wall-mounted shelf be an option? Then you'd never have any worries about vibrations. I think Atacama does one?
  • breakablepants 5 Feb 2021 14:17:07 1,107 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Another option could be using Sorbothane feet / pads? I have my eye on a set for my Technics (when I can justify spending £120 on some feet...)

http://www.isonoe.com/products2/audio-isolation-system/
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2021 14:25:40 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have a Clearaudio Concept. Itís known for footfall problems. To be fair itís only a problem when theyíre really stomping around.

Wall-mounting is a last resort option but Iíd much prefer not to. But yes, that is the best solution.

Iíve considered different feet. The cost is similar to an isolation platform. Iím not sure what would be more effective.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Feb 2021 14:43:03 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couple of turntable related challenges.

First is Iím getting a bit of hum from my turntable. Itís not grounding causing it, but interference from being near other cables and components. Thereís nothing I can do about that, so Iím wondering if thereís any other solution. For example, would higher quality cables with more shielding help? Iím really loath to spend a fortune on cables as I really do think itís mostly snake oil, but if it reduces hum then it would be worth it.
    It might sound daft but have you tried moving cables just a little? I had a hum issue once and just moving the interconnects' path a little did the job.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2021 14:46:33 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah Iíve done absolutely everything you could possibly imagine. The only thing that solves it is moving the components away from each other, which again isnít an option.

Itís not an unbearable hum. I canít hear it over music. But itís just loud enough to piss me off every time.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Feb 2021 15:01:34 40,344 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I have a Clearaudio Concept.
    Theyíre so pretty! And basically made next door from where I live.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Feb 2021 15:05:39 10,812 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you tried streaming from Spotify, it might get rid of the hum.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2021 15:20:42 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Thatís cool! I really canít get enough of German design generally. Seriously does it for me.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Feb 2021 15:20:52 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Have you tried streaming from Spotify, it might get rid of the hum.
    Heh.
  • OldDirty 5 Feb 2021 22:55:23 60 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Anyone use analogue headphones? I could use some recommendations if anyone has a good ear and experience with them.
    I'm looking to spend a few hundred quid and would happily go with open-back for the most accurate sound output.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Feb 2021 23:27:17 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Yep, lovely turntable.
  • Fake_Blood 6 Feb 2021 09:10:04 10,812 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OldDirty wrote:
    Anyone use analogue headphones? I could use some recommendations if anyone has a good ear and experience with them.
    I'm looking to spend a few hundred quid and would happily go with open-back for the most accurate sound output.
    I got a Senheiser HD 660S that I can recommend, they are the best sounding headphones I have ever bought but also the most expensive ones Iíve bought so I have no reference point to others in that price range.
  • mrharvest 6 Feb 2021 09:19:36 5,695 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    OldDirty wrote:
    Anyone use analogue headphones?
    What other kind is there?

Hehe, joking aside there's a long headphones thread somewhere. I personally think headphones are so personal taste that you have to try them for yourself.

I would say the common contenders for the best "not crazy money" headphones are Beyerdynamic T1, Audeze LCD2 and Sennheiser 650.

However for most good headphones you'll probably also want a headphone amp, which might put those out of your price range.

For a slightly lower price point I'd suggest testing Beyerdynamic DT880, AKG K702, Sennheiser 600 and Hifiman HE400.

But whatever you buy try it first.

Edited by mrharvest at 10:19:17 06-02-2021
  • moominpapa 6 Feb 2021 09:57:58 15 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What amp(s) and speakers have you got this paired with? I'm looking to upgrade my setup and will build it around whatever record player I go for. Also thinking about the Planar 6, but the Concept looks bloomin lovely.

Edited by moominpapa at 10:00:02 06-02-2021
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2021 10:23:53 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    moominpapa wrote:
    What amp(s) and speakers have you got this paired with? I'm looking to upgrade my setup and will build it around whatever record player I go for. Also thinking about the Planar 6, but the Concept looks bloomin lovely.
    Mostly a Naim Uniti Atom amp, Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL phono stage and a pair of Focal Chora 826.
  • moominpapa 6 Feb 2021 10:33:20 15 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal Thanks. That's some awesome gear. I'm starting the exciting process of researching what I want to buy. It's always helpful to know what other people have got.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2021 10:36:05 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Research is definitely the best part. Enjoy :)
  • Tomo 6 Feb 2021 11:19:38 18,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Niceeeeee. Think you just made ecosse's penis retreat into his groin by several inches.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Feb 2021 11:20:57 22,782 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How so? His gear shits on mine.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Feb 2021 11:21:07 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    moominpapa wrote:
    Mostly a Naim Uniti Atom amp, Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL phono stage and a pair of Focal Chora 826.
    Sounds like a really nice setup.
  • Tomo 6 Feb 2021 13:05:54 18,983 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Ok, well now mine is well and truly retracted.
  • andytheadequate 6 Feb 2021 15:08:17 9,523 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Currently I have a Cyrus One amp (700 ish), Monitor Audio Silver floor standing speakers (1k) and an Audiolab CD transport (400 ish). I've never had a turntable before but I'm considering getting one and moving the CD player to my office to use with a headphone amp.

What turntables would make sense for this kind of set up? I don't need it to do anything too fancy e.g. no USB connections etc. Rega seem to be the default choice in the price ranges I've looked at so far (400-700).

I would probably also need a separate phono pre amp as the turnable would be sat 2 or 3 metres away from the amp, which I've read would be a problem. I was hoping to just use the inbuilt one in the amp but there just isn't space to get it close enough without completely rearranging the living room. Would a 150 Cambridge Audio one match, or preferably beat, the performance of an inbuilt one?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.