Predator reboot to be written and directed Shane Black Page 14

Next Last
  • Gearskin 18 Sep 2018 16:43:41 3,188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought it was fun. I laughed at some of the jokes, it had a very brisk pace. The effects and action were mostly very good.

It wasn't what I would expect from a Predator film though. To be fair, Shane Black always said that this was intended to "eventize" the creature... but that kinda robs the thing of its appeal. There's absolutely zero build up, tension or nuance in this thing. It's just in your face ALL THE TIME. The very first thing you see is a Predator taking part in a damn space battle. It's jarring.

And then there are the gapping plot holes (perhaps caused by the extensive reshoots)... The plot is kinda terrible.

Actually, the more I think about it the worse this gets. I'm going to stop. I enjoyed it... maybe.
  • wuntyphyve 18 Sep 2018 16:56:54 11,053 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it might be okay but just some terrible bits here and there initially. Then I thought about it a bit. Then a bit more. Then a bit more after that. Now I am of the opinion it is one of the worst films I have ever seen.

So yeah. Your opinion may change as you think on it a bit more.

Ask yourself: "Were the dogs a positive additon to the film?" first of all and see how you get on.

By the time you've got to "Where exactly did Olivia Munn's character get the confidence and skills to keep pace chasing a huge big fucking mean space alien that's just killed lots of guys from?" You'll probably have a lower opinion of it.

Take that route via the following:
    Dad thinks it's fun to kill guys in front of son and quip about it.

It's a good idea to leap onto the shoulders of a massive space alien that's on fire.

A dog, after being shot in the head, wanders around and occasionally coughs up useful things like grenades for the heroes to use.

Two guys run off into the woods at night and return with a helicopter.

Son kills a man and blows his house up but his real hurrah is then scaring two bullies away.

The first predator came to help mankind. Instead of communicating with them when it wakes up, it kills as many as it can then fucks off.

The mother of the lead characters son thinks it's fine for him to go out Trick and Treating on his own, knowing fine well he is a target for bullies and he's scared.

At one point in the film she runs up a staircase and vanishes.

Main character posts an alien mask and guantlet back home. In a box wrapped in bubble wrap. Which, fyi, was very kindly done by a scared mexican.

I still have no real idea what happened in the final act. At all.

No one, at any point seems scared of either predator. In the slightest.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it. But stop thinking about it now. It's the best thing.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 16:58:31 18-09-2018
  • Gearskin 18 Sep 2018 17:07:49 3,188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I follow a couple of stunt performers on Instagram and they've been posting a lot of BTS pictures of themselves... in Predator suits that aren't in the film. These match up with some of the earliest set photos, and footage from at least one major action scene cut from the film is still being used in the marketing.

I get the impression, just based on how cobbled together this feels, that the plot changed. The film is too inconsistent. There's no way that the first Predator's goal was to help humanity. And that ending was sequel bait to a film I hope they never make. Ugh. What was that about?

No... No, I'm starting to dislike it.

Edited by Gearskin at 17:08:22 18-09-2018
  • Deleted user 18 September 2018 17:18:03
    @wuntyphyve to all of those, and I agree with every one, I'll add;

- 'comedy Tourette's guy'
    - the most charismatic member of the cast suddenly blowing his own head off
    - same guy putting on sunglasses to go through a doorway, then taking them off
    - the guy whose middle name is Gaylord
    - McKenna asking the Predator a question, then immediately telling it to shut the fuck up

It's a hot mess of a film.
  • wuntyphyve 18 Sep 2018 17:50:49 11,053 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @GarlVinland ha ha I was discussing most of those very points earlier.

Utter toss.
  • challenge_hanukkah 18 Sep 2018 19:12:45 9,259 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. The predator is the chocolate.
  • StixxUK 18 Sep 2018 19:27:55 8,081 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Seeing this tonight. Having a beer first, hopefully that'll make it a tiny bit less shit.
  • Schmove 18 Sep 2018 21:25:24 278 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Usual Suspects.

Kevin Spacey was the Predator all along.
  • StixxUK 18 Sep 2018 22:40:53 8,081 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Switched my brain off and it entertained me. Ending was particularly shite though.
  • beastmaster 18 Sep 2018 22:45:17 18,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When Predator Met Sally.

Sheís long and tall. Predator is going to have him some fun!

Edited by beastmaster at 22:45:36 18-09-2018
  • MrE26 18 Sep 2018 22:50:23 2,037 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah I didnít think it was as bad as itís been made out to be. Clearly itís been stripped to the bone in the editing room though, that last act was choppy as fuck & seemed borderline unfinished. It still entertained me for the most part though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Sep 2018 15:23:40 17,464 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Heh, I went through the same process.

Initially didn't think it was that bad and that I enjoyed it, but the more I thought about it, the worst it got.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Sep 2018 15:33:11 17,473 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Goonies only everyone is a predator except for Mamma Fratelli.
  • richarddavies 21 Sep 2018 15:34:29 6,558 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd prefer it where Sloth was a predator. He still wears the Superman T shirt and talks the same as in the movie though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 Sep 2018 15:34:37 17,464 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:

- McKenna asking the Predator a question, then immediately telling it to shut the fuck up

Heh, I thought I was the only one that noticed him putting on the glasses (at night) only to take them off after their brief walk. And his death was so random I thought I misunderstood what happened.

And the "shut the f*ck up" but after asking a question was hilariously bad.

Honestly the more I thought it through, this is quite possibly the worst Predator movie (including the AvP stuff). It's definitely the worst official Predator movie, easily.
  • Malek86 21 Sep 2018 15:37:02 8,035 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    And the "shut the f*ck up" but after asking a question was hilariously bad.
    The Big Lebowski, but Donnie is the Predator.
  • Gearskin 21 Sep 2018 16:03:45 3,188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GarlVinland wrote:

Heh, I thought I was the only one that noticed him putting on the glasses (at night) only to take them off after their brief walk.
    It's because the whole third act originally took place during the day, that's what they shot originally.
  • The-Bodybuilder 25 Sep 2018 17:35:25 17,464 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    GarlVinland wrote:

Heh, I thought I was the only one that noticed him putting on the glasses (at night) only to take them off after their brief walk.
    It's because the whole third act originally took place during the day, that's what they shot originally.
    Ah well that makes more sense.
    Intrigued to know what the original 3rd act was meant to be.
  • beastmaster 21 Dec 2018 14:34:27 18,915 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Predator vs Santa Holiday Special.

• Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.