Playstation Vita Page 272

• grounded_dreams 31 Jan 2018 17:14:48 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yep suppose to be released the other day
  • Flying_Pig 1 Feb 2018 23:36:13 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So I was finally getting the hang of Don't Starve (basically gathering enough food every day so I don't starve...), but then I got too cocky and attacked a spiders nest which got me killed :(

I also started God Of War today - it's a good familiar game, but some of the game mechanics have not aged well...
  • The_Goon 2 Feb 2018 12:07:06 840 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Flying_Pig You just reminded me I need to get back to that. I got stuck on a section in GoW2 and haven't been back since.
  • 2old4disshit 5 Feb 2018 14:26:59 541 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Started X-Com today. The graphics and framerate are obviously a bit of a step down from when I played this on the PS3, but it is nice to be able to play during my commute. I hope to not make a big cock up of it.
  • Flying_Pig 5 Feb 2018 19:18:34 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deadbolt from the same creator as Risk of Rain is released on 20th Feb!

I loved Risk of Rain and this looks really good!
  • grounded_dreams 6 Feb 2018 09:43:15 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Deadbolt does look good, the design looks similar to Roll 7's Not a Hero but hoping it has better gameplay.
  • jagg3r 6 Feb 2018 20:19:59 1,318 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just came in to post about deadbolt 😀, looks great.
  • Flying_Pig 8 Feb 2018 09:48:09 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm about half way through GoW now - it plays really well, but definitely looks like a PS2 game...

I read this morning that Secret of Mana is out next week - it's probably not one for me, but I'm sure some people will be all over it!

I'm holding out for Stardew Valley, Cosmic Star Heroine and VALL-Hall-A
  • Humperfunk 8 Feb 2018 10:50:49 7,535 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I saw Secret of Mana was next week, considering the hype when it was announced, has really approached with zero fanfare.
  • grounded_dreams 8 Feb 2018 11:52:39 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Is there a EU release date yet for VA-11 HALL-A? Haven't seen anything in regards to it yet.
  • Flying_Pig 8 Feb 2018 12:37:08 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    grounded_dreams wrote:
    @Flying_Pig Is there a EU release date yet for VA-11 HALL-A? Haven't seen anything in regards to it yet.
    Not yet, but it's with PEGI for rating, so hopefully soon...
  • grounded_dreams 8 Feb 2018 15:22:19 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice, good to know :)
  • Flying_Pig 12 Feb 2018 16:56:33 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Secret of Mana and The Longest 5 Minutes out this week. The latter looks particularly interesting, but apparently the price is eye-gouging!
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2018 09:32:29 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gah - I've spent the entirety of my 45 minute train journey repeatedly attempting (and failing) to get past a spinning blade section in God of War (Blades of Hades?) /o\

It shouldn't be that hard, but it's so unforgiving - you have to balance across various beams, as well as dodging spinning blades, but one mistake and it's game over - no checkpoint, so if you fail you're back at the beginning - also, while Kratos will grab the beam as he falls in other parts of the game, giving you a few seconds to save yourself, you have no such luxury here.

What makes it even harder, is the 'dynamic camera' - you can't control it yourself and it's not static, so it's frequently panning around as you traverse a beam, meaning that often you can't see exactly where Kratos is relative to the beam.

It's maddening D:
  • BearFishPie 13 Feb 2018 10:35:32 540 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Flying_Pig I've just started on GoW now I'm finally done with Steins Gate 0. I'd played the first PSP game before but never tried any of the home console versions.

Holy hell, the beam balancing stuff is annoying, you're dead right. I just had the achievement pop for the game prompting me to downgrade the difficulty level during the opening scenario, entirely due to the iffy camera movement during a lengthy mast-walking sequence. That felt particularly insulting, firstly because I'd been having no trouble with the actual combat, and secondly because I'm sure the difficulty level will have no impact on these sections.
  • Murbs 13 Feb 2018 11:19:26 23,885 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm playing on my Vita! Been a while. Went back to dragon quest builders to save my buying the switch version. I'm not sure what the last game I finished on the system was... I'm thinking it was the first Danganronpa, but that was ages ago.

Still, only ever had one Vita in almost 6 years; multiple psp/ds/3ds systems over the years.
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2018 13:48:51 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @BearFishPie - I know exactly which section you're referring to. I got the same message at that point too, and all the difficulty does is make the combat easier...

Fortunately there don't seem to be too many balance beam sections, and most mean that you just fall down to the bottom and have to re-start, rather than insta-death.

I'll try again tonight, as I know exactly what I need to do, I just can't quite do it!

Also - FWIW there are actually 2 GoW games on the PSP, which were both remastered for the PS3 into GoW Collection Vol.2. They were Chains of Oympus and Ghost of Sparta, although I can't remember which was better...

@Murbs - glad you see you back, rocking the Vita :)
  • BearFishPie 13 Feb 2018 15:53:23 540 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Flying_Pig Yeah, I think both of the PSP games were given away with plus, so I can play Ghost of Sparta if I really want more portable tacky murderfests beyond GoW2, though I'm not sure I'll want to. I'm enjoying the mashy combat so far as it goes, though the way the violence and nudity is handled comes off as overly try-hard.

I'm eviscerating my merry way through Athens now, presumably almost done with tutorial type stuff. I'm certainly glad to hear balance beam mechanics are in the minority!
  • grounded_dreams 13 Feb 2018 19:34:49 79 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    grounded_dreams wrote:

The game now has a PEGI rating today, Wolfgame have now submitted it to Playstation EU:

https://twitter.com/WolfgameNA/status/963458459063775232
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2018 20:13:03 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    grounded_dreams wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    grounded_dreams wrote:

The game now has a PEGI rating today, Wolfgame have now submitted it to Playstation EU:

https://twitter.com/WolfgameNA/status/963458459063775232
    \o/
  • Flying_Pig 13 Feb 2018 20:14:42 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Gah - I've spent the entirety of my 45 minute train journey repeatedly attempting (and failing) to get past a spinning blade section in God of War (Blades of Hades?) /o\

It shouldn't be that hard, but it's so unforgiving - you have to balance across various beams, as well as dodging spinning blades, but one mistake and it's game over - no checkpoint, so if you fail you're back at the beginning - also, while Kratos will grab the beam as he falls in other parts of the game, giving you a few seconds to save yourself, you have no such luxury here.

What makes it even harder, is the 'dynamic camera' - you can't control it yourself and it's not static, so it's frequently panning around as you traverse a beam, meaning that often you can't see exactly where Kratos is relative to the beam.

It's maddening D:
    And done \o/

I actually made it to the checkpoint on my first attempt this time around, and the rest wasn't too bad - only another 10 or so attempts :)

Cleared Challenge of Hades and now on to the Cliffs of Madness or something
  • Flying_Pig 14 Feb 2018 09:38:04 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Passed the infamous Spike Room Box puzzle this morning :) I think the spinning blade cliff climb is up shortly /o\
  • Bambot 14 Feb 2018 09:39:53 1,155 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So did the Switch kill the Vita stone dead? Or has development on Vita titles kind of wound down now anyway?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 14 Feb 2018 11:17:50 3,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, we lost NISA for physicals this year after them being one of the stalwarts...
  • Flying_Pig 14 Feb 2018 13:27:32 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    So did the Switch kill the Vita stone dead? Or has development on Vita titles kind of wound down now anyway?
    I think development was winding down anyway - fewer indies coming and 'big' games only coming from Japanese publishers. Still, there are still new games coming including Cosmic Star Heroine, Stardew Valley and VA-11 HALL-A
  • Flying_Pig 15 Feb 2018 22:55:07 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Any recommendations for a Zelda-esque RPG for either the Vita or PSP? It's for my 8 YO son, so nothing to heavy or complex, just something he can get his teeth into, but which won't be too daunting or challenging.

Edit: I did think maybe Dragon Quest Builders or maybe Child of Light, but I don't think the latter has any exploration aspects IIRC...

Edited by Flying_Pig at 22:56:13 15-02-2018
  • TheMayorOfJugs 16 Feb 2018 01:18:29 6,489 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Flying_Pig If you have a US alt psn account FP, you can get Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom from the US store for cheap, it's pretty much as close to Zelda as you'll get and it's not too difficult, my younger brother had a physical copy on the 3ds but I'm not sure if there are carts for Vita.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Feb 2018 09:57:32 15,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    @Flying_Pig If you have a US alt psn account FP, you can get Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom from the US store for cheap, it's pretty much as close to Zelda as you'll get and it's not too difficult, my younger brother had a physical copy on the 3ds but I'm not sure if there are carts for Vita.
    Thanks - I'll check it out.

In other news - I finished the spinning blade column climb this morning (got the trophy too) and am right in the middle of the final boss fight. So I'll finish God of War today - Chaos;Child is up next :)
  • dominalien 16 Feb 2018 10:06:34 8,530 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Isn't it a pita to swap accounts on the Vita, though?
  • jagg3r 18 Feb 2018 23:58:49 1,318 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just discovered Mercenary Kings Reloaded on the vita store. It's free if you have it on PS4 and it looks lovely on the vita .

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.