Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yep - it's available as a PS1 game iirc

Edit: Link

Edited by Flying_Pig at 23:11:00 03-08-2018
  • Flying_Pig 3 Aug 2018 23:17:16 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just seen that Deadbolt is reduced to £3.99 on PSN. That and Oceanhorn should see me through my holiday :)
  • Murbs 4 Aug 2018 19:29:51 24,066 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sod waiting for Ys8 to drop in price on the switch, I'm going in for the Vita version. Will be my first purchase on the system for a while!
  • monsieur-Cosmo 5 Aug 2018 13:12:37 438 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never understood the appeal of YS games. They're just boring wanna-be action RPGs to me.
  • ibenam 5 Aug 2018 14:26:58 3,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone selling a vita slim for around 75?
  • uiruki 5 Aug 2018 15:07:26 4,708 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    monsieur-Cosmo wrote:
    Never understood the appeal of YS games. They're just boring wanna-be action RPGs to me.
    Whatís ďwanna-beĒ about be action in Ys?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 Aug 2018 18:26:02 3,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoy the Ys games too. Not sure how they are wannabe either with being a similar age and heritage to the slightly older Zelda series. They don't try to do massively new ideas but they are usually well out together and playable.
  • Murbs 5 Aug 2018 19:06:04 24,066 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bought and started Ys8. I wanna-be having fun and I am ;-)
  • grounded_dreams 6 Aug 2018 12:22:36 94 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Can anyone recommend which of the Ys series is best for a newbie, never played one before and want easy route into the games, to try out to see if I like them.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Aug 2018 14:46:58 3,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most of them are pretty stand alone plot wise (except I and II which run straight into each other and are usually sold as a pair). I and II also have the option if the odd 'bump' combat system (which is how I played them). I is pretty short but has a nasty final boss, II is a bit more balanced. VII, Celceta (remake of IV) and VIII have a three person party (switchable) whereas the rest IIRC are single character. Origin has three characters for three run throughs but the reat you play primarily as Adol.

As for which to start first it is hard to advise. All of the PC ports by Xseed are very nice (verwions if each game except V are available in English)(and the PSP versions they have on the Vita store are decent too, where you have all games exceptV and VI available). If you are on PS4 you only have Origin and VIII to pick from.
  • uiruki 6 Aug 2018 15:20:19 4,708 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did the PSP version of Napishtim ever come out in the West? That was an insanely terrible port.
  • grounded_dreams 6 Aug 2018 18:52:58 94 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Excellent, appreciate the response.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Aug 2018 20:02:58 3,271 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Did the PSP version of Napishtim ever come out in the West? That was an insanely terrible port.
    Possibly in the US. I have the PS2 one but never played it, heard it wasn't great.
  • Flying_Pig 6 Aug 2018 23:52:09 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    On the final (?) chapter of Cosmic Star Heroine - just a few side quests and optional bosses before I tackle the end :)
  • XtraCheese 7 Aug 2018 11:24:13 116 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Weirdly feel like picking one of these up as Iíve been urging to go through the old metal gear solid games from start to finish and this seems like a decent place to play them. Also seem to have accumulated around 40 titles from PS plus along with cross play content so thatís also swaying me.

Can you buy these things new anywhere ? (Iíd like the new slim model) All I can seem to see is play Asia selling them. Would I have any issues buying a Japan unit if I live in the UK?

Whatís been the support like in terms of titles over the past year ? Any top games of note to look at initially ?

Edited by XtraCheese at 11:25:01 07-08-2018
  • Flying_Pig 8 Aug 2018 12:59:31 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished Waking Violet this morning - it was OK, and didn't take too long, but it appears that 2 of the endings are impossible unless I complete the 2 'secret' levels, which themselves are very tricky and not something I have the patience for.

Still, it's out of the way, leaving me to finish Cosmic Star Heroine before I head off on holiday next week \o/
  • Navi 8 Aug 2018 13:08:21 276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    XtraCheese wrote:
    Weirdly feel like picking one of these up as Iíve been urging to go through the old metal gear solid games from start to finish and this seems like a decent place to play them. Also seem to have accumulated around 40 titles from PS plus along with cross play content so thatís also swaying me.

Can you buy these things new anywhere ? (Iíd like the new slim model) All I can seem to see is play Asia selling them. Would I have any issues buying a Japan unit if I live in the UK?

Whatís been the support like in terms of titles over the past year ? Any top games of note to look at initially ?
    I've got 2 Japanese units and had no problems with them on my UK account (which is shared with a UK PS4).

Can't say I've played a lot of new titles on it in the last year, but I've played a load of the vita backcatalog, and there is plenty to enjoy.
  • Flying_Pig 8 Aug 2018 13:17:56 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    XtraCheese wrote:

Welcome!

So, to answer your questions:
    - You probably won't be able to get hold of a new Vita in the UK - they're not actively sold so any new ones will probably be overpriced. They can be bought second hand for between £80 - £100 - check out the latest Eurogamer swapsies thread, as they often pop up there.
    - Personally the Slim model is definitely the way to go and they're easier to get hold of
    - AFAIK importing a Vita from Japan (worth checking out Nippon Yasan or maybe VG+ as well), shouldn't cause you any issues although I seem to recall that in the main console OS screens the 'O' button takes you forward and the 'X' button takes you back which is the opposite to western consoles, but games themselves aren't affected. The other benefit of the Slim model, is that you can charge it using a USB cable.
    - Given the Vita is at the end of its life, support over the last year has been increasingly patchy, with fewer new releases and certainly no 'big' games if your interests are outside of JRPGs or indie titles. That said, the back catalogue is huge and well worth checking out - I'm sure people will be able to giv recommendations if you mention the kind of games/genres you're in to.
    - In terms of 'top' games - again it depends what you're into, but you cannot go wrong with the likes of Danganronpa, Persona 4 Golden, Stardew Valley, Steins;Gate, Velocity 2X, Spelunky, Risk of Rain etc etc etc. There are also lots of 'Best of... lists which are worth checking out as well, if you're looking for inspiration.

Oh, and a few other points to consider:
    - it' good that you've got some PS+ titles already, there have been some real gems over the last few years.
    - you'll need to invest in a memory card. They're not cheap and don't go smaller than 8GB. 16GB is really the minimum if you can stretch to it

I hope that helps
  • Flying_Pig 10 Aug 2018 22:34:45 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Noooo - right at the end of Cosmic Star Heroine and despite having met the criteria the Crowded Trophy hasn't popped for me :(

Edit: the trophy randomly popped as I was walking through the ship... :)
    On to the final battle now!

Edited by Flying_Pig at 23:54:33 10-08-2018
  • BurnoutJunkie 10 Aug 2018 23:15:00 1,079 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @XtraCheese Iím selling one in the swapsies thread:

have a black PS Vita 2000 for sale (JPN model, but it's region-free), boxed and mint - practically new. Put screen protectors on the front and back before using, and only turned it on and used it for a few minutes, didn't even play anything on it. Selling it because I'd like to get a different colour (I'm crazy like that). Fully boxed with everything that came with it.

=====

It's basically as new.

£100 delivered in the UK. PayPal gift. PM me if interested.
  • Flying_Pig 18 Aug 2018 09:43:42 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been playing Oceanhorn and Deadbolt this week.

I had high hopes for Oceanhorn, but am currently underwhelmed by it. The story is paper thin and its just not that interesting/compelling. There's nothing bad about it, but there's nothing which calls me to play it.

Deadbolt on the other hand is fantastic - think side-on Hotline Miami - but a bit more tactical and slower paced. Really good!
  • el_pollo_diablo 21 Aug 2018 09:43:58 2,853 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haven't picked up my Vita in a while since getting the Switch (apart from the odd game of Everybody's Golf), so contemplating hacking my firmware. Not sure what I'm running now but assuming it's easy to do, would you guys recommend doing so?
  • TFM_Excalibur 29 Aug 2018 13:18:44 1,639 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    Haven't picked up my Vita in a while since getting the Switch (apart from the odd game of Everybody's Golf), so contemplating hacking my firmware. Not sure what I'm running now but assuming it's easy to do, would you guys recommend doing so?
    It's easy to do, and opens up so many possibilities, not all legitimate of course
  • mongo116 29 Aug 2018 15:11:29 56 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @el_pollo_diablo It's really easy to do, and there are plenty of guides on gbatemp covering the steps. It's certainly got me using my Vita again, after sitting in a cupboard for far too long.

Edited by mongo116 at 15:11:59 29-08-2018
  • BearFishPie 31 Aug 2018 22:25:56 629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíve still got a boatload of backlog before Iím anywhere near done playing my Vita. Iím attempting to get through FFVI after my first character playthrough of Odin Sphere (gorgeous but hasnít really dug its hooks in). Iíve got the second two Zero Escape games and Space Hulk to fit in there somewhere too.
  • Flying_Pig 3 Sep 2018 20:27:45 15,934 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm nearly done with Oceanhorn - it's gotten better since I got home and could put some proper time into it, but it's still pretty average overall. I'm just mulling over whether to go for the remaining trophies or just blast through the end of the game and move on...?

And as much as I loved Deadbolt, I've reached a level I can't get through. I must have put in well over 100 attempts and even resorted to watching a few videos online, but I just can't clear the level D:
  • ChocNut 4 Sep 2018 11:39:54 2,376 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iím playing The amazing Spider-Man on vita at the moment. I have it on ps3 as well and itís a good background game to have on while watching YouTube.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.