Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 36

• Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2019 08:17:10 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Agreed
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2019 08:20:06 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Regardless of our misgivings, I think one only need look at Advent Children and the other Compilation spin-offs to understand what Squenix thinks fans liked most about FF7.

Then again, it's been more than 15 years, and even their CEO has changed. If we are lucky, they might have regained some sense in the meantime.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:20:25 13-09-2019
  • drhickman1983 13 Sep 2019 08:31:00 6,152 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Malek86

To be honest you do make a good point, in that it doesn't really matter what fans who actually remember the whole game want, it's what Squenix thinks they want.

I daresay there are a large number of people who only really recall Midgar. It's an important part, to be sure, but not the whole.
  • The12thMonkey 13 Sep 2019 08:37:49 544 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Then again, it's been more than 15 years, and even their CEO has changed. If we are lucky, they might have regained some sense in the meantime.
    And the reason why the CEO changed could well be instructive in the case of FF7R.
    Corporate pushed Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 out the door at least a year before it was ready, and I don't need to detail just how badly wrong that went. But, the principle lesson SE seemed to learn from that was the cost of reputational damage, especially when it comes to the crown jewels - the numbered Final Fantasy games. I think they will see this through, because the damage caused by not doing so would be severe.

Also, in terms of development, an MMO structure of extra Parts being added as expansions might be what they're doing, because it allows various parts of the team - especially art and design - to move straight into the concept phases of subsequent Parts while the bulk of the team is putting the finishing touches to Part 1.
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2019 08:50:26 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    One thing that makes me hopeful is that Cloud's portrayal seems to have improved in his recent appearances. From Dissidia to Smash, including these trailers, he looks closer to his original self than the wangsty emo teen featured in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts.

As a whole, however, I still think that a full FF7 Remake with the (presumed) scale of this first part would be an enormous undertaking, and I couldn't really blame Squenix if they put much more effort into the parts that they know people remember the most. I do think we'll see the entire game, at least. Just, the side areas like Cosmo Canyon, Junon, Wutai, etc. probably won't be as fleshed out.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:51:33 13-09-2019
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2019 09:11:05 5,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To be honest with a critical eye, none of the towns in the 97 game are actually that big with the obvious exception of Midgar. The vast majority take place on a single pre-rendered background.

Even Junon is deceptively small when you really think about it.

What will make all the difference is how they translate the world map. That's still my big concern. If it becomes a proper open world ala FFXV then people will be a lot more forgiving if the towns outside of Midgar are not all huge metropolises. On the other hand if you're just tunnelled from town to town, those towns better be pretty exciting.
  • Psiloc 13 Sep 2019 09:41:40 5,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just watched the new trailer finally with the sound on.

1. Barret's VA is a bit iffy
    2. What's with the references to Wutai in the President Shinra/Heidegger scene?
    3. Is that Mark Hamill as Don Corneo?
  • Ror 13 Sep 2019 12:37:42 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Honestly, I think people are vastly overestimating the "people mostly remember Midgar" thing. If you look at forums, there's been quite a lot of pushback on part one being just Midgar (yes, yes, forums are mostly the hyper-engaged &etc, but the people that wanted a remake in the first place are the hyper-engaged). Additionally, the anecdote I see most when people are talking about their nostalgia for FFVII is (obvious Aeris moment aside) when they left Midgar and realised the world was so much bigger.

Calling the post-Midgar stuff fluff seems incredibly odd to me, given the vast, vast majority of the story happens outside of it.

@Psiloc - yeah, I don't like Barret's VA from what we've seen. As for the Wutai thing, I think they're probably going to beef up that scenario and have ShinRa label Avalanche as allies/an extension of Wutai (remember they were at war a few years before the events of the game, so Wutai would be a reasonable scapegoat to get the people onside).
  • the_milkybar_kid 13 Sep 2019 13:10:28 8,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm pleasantly surprised after seeing Aofie's video. It does look to me they're trying to transfer as much as the charm and campiness as possible. But yeah, put this much love and detail into all the other aspects of disk 1 2 and 3, all the side quests and job done. Hopefully with most of the framework down for this part, it won't take as long as long for the next.
  • Samildanach 13 Sep 2019 13:35:31 145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can see part 2 working quite well if they start with the Nibelheim flashback in Kalm to set the scene, and climaxing as you return to Nibelheim after traversing the two southern continents.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Sep 2019 15:33:43 3,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah fluff (if to be derisory of certain elements) in ff7 is the back stories of yuffie, coral/Barrett gold saucer chocobo racing/breeding etc.

All the places you visit are not in terms of the story development. But as locations their is little to them and unlike midgar is quite the task to expand them to feel like an actual town or village worthy of the gameplay time that you spend there.

This is a mammoth undertaking if they want all locations to be developed to such a high fidelity as midgar. Kalm for example is only really for the flash back and to update your weapons. Fort condor is equally minimal in terms of story (in fact if anywhere gets the chop I reckon thatwill first).
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2019 15:35:39 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You monster!!! Barrett and Dion are not fluff
  • drhickman1983 13 Sep 2019 15:40:47 6,152 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I disagree that character backstory's can be called fluff, they're pretty integral to making any RPG enjoyable.

So Corel is far from fluff for me.

The villages don't need to be as big as Midgar, but they need to have the same fidelity (not size) otherwise they'll seem half arsed.

Most of my favourite moments happen outside of Midgar.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Sep 2019 16:08:11 3,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha I'm not calling it fluff I did say if one is to be derisory.

But the character backstory is not integral to the main plot, but I agree it is what makes a story better as it gives context to the character motives and decisions they make etc.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2019 16:10:45 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think that is the key distinction, not being directly involved in the plot does not mean it is not an integral part of the game. We learn why Barrett set up Avalanche and we see his mirror in Dion at Gold saucer/coral prison. I donít think we could cut that as it is the bit of the game that Barrett realises the consequences of his actions.
  • Ror 13 Sep 2019 18:49:23 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    You monster!!! Barrett and Dion are not fluff
    Celine, or Dyne?
  • Malek86 13 Sep 2019 18:52:52 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hey, I'm not saying they are fluff for me. But judging from how fans talk whenever anything FF7 is mentioned, you'd think the entire game took place in Midgar.
  • Graxlar_v3 13 Sep 2019 19:03:13 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Ror 😐
  • Ror 13 Sep 2019 19:18:39 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ;)
  • SolidSCB 13 Sep 2019 19:32:42 11,728 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing is, if they are using the Midgar level as a way of fleshing out side characters like Biggs, Wedge and Jessie, how can you then say that places like Corel aren't necessary? Surely it's more important to flesh out the main characters and put the spotlight on their backstories and backgrounds than it is a bunch of guys who have maybe a dozen lines of important dialogue in the entirety of the original.
  • DakeyrasUK 13 Sep 2019 23:55:29 3,196 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SolidSCB that is a good point. I concur.

Just to be clear I'm not saying I'd want coral story cut as it is not necessary, but it could be told in a non gameplay way. They don't need to go to the effort of making a fully 3d set of tents at the end of the railway somewhere you visit in order to have barret discuss his reasons for forming avalanche.

You get the same character arc, but cut out development resources by doing it that way. Could actually be part of the first game. Something you learn whilst doing extra missions with avalanche between the main bombing missions..?

I think I'm going to try stopping worrying about the problems that could crop up and just go with the flow. What I have seen has me excited for the gameplay, and not knowing how the story is going to go also has me itching to play. I'm fairly confident now it will be a good experience. Though I'm equally sure it will also be an Internet war zone of betrayal of lore vs people who enjoyed it ala star wars ep 8/game of thrones season 8.

Perhaps this will also have an "awful" 8th installment (in 2050)!
  • FrostPan 15 Sep 2019 10:56:25 1,624 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Footage from yesterday:

Aps Boss Fight with Ifrit Summon
    (looks amazing! and loving this rendition of the battle theme!)

Full presentation. Squats gameplay from the 31 mins mark

Edited by FrostPan at 11:01:53 15-09-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 15 Sep 2019 11:02:09 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok I donít remember that fight
  • FrostPan 15 Sep 2019 11:03:39 1,624 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Sewer boss
  • Graxlar_v3 15 Sep 2019 11:20:09 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Oh yeah, I remember now.
  • Psiloc 16 Sep 2019 09:52:07 5,228 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Man the battle system looks fantastic. I hope they don't overuse the gimmick of the bosses climbing the walls though.

Is Aerith a ranged fighter now then?
  • Ror 24 Sep 2019 16:18:11 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Ror 24 Sep 2019 16:20:00 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apparently this is the EU one.

• Malek86 24 Sep 2019 16:31:38 9,126 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still don't understand why they are literally calling it "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" as if it were the whole story.

What's the next game gonna be called then? Final Fantasy 7 Remake-2?
  • Ror 24 Sep 2019 16:33:25 19,037 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seeing conflicting stuff now, and it appears the top art is US and EU.

Yeah, I think they really need to do something about that title. People that haven't been following it as closely will rightly feel misled.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.