Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 42

• simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Mar 2020 16:45:27 13,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Itís a very polished product, but I wonder whether those would be saying you ďloved itĒ if it was just a random demo on the store with no ff attachment. Iíve a fair idea of the answer.
    But being FF7 is basically the whole point of it
  • StaffyDog 3 Mar 2020 17:02:46 1,593 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very polished but couldn't play it more than 15 mins. Way too cheesy for me to the point of typically Japanese weird humour is not good.
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2020 19:56:09 25,581 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whatabout if you put the original game up as a random game on the store without the ff attachment would you love it
  • Bombonera 3 Mar 2020 21:41:53 423 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was wondering if anyone else struggled against the scorpion boss? I barely beat him, had to use all my potions. I don't think I've ever found a boss fight in any FF game as hard before this one. The combat is going to take some getting used to, for me.
  • ZuluHero 3 Mar 2020 21:49:05 8,641 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, first time. But it was much easier 2nd time. A bit like the same boss in the original! :)
  • Ror 3 Mar 2020 21:52:08 19,972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had a bit of trouble, used quite a few potions. Were you dodge rolling a lot? If so, don't do that. Guard instead. Use the dodge roll when you need to get out of the aoe attack.

Then make sure to switch characters often, because if left to their own devices, they're really, really shit at building up their ATB.

Edited by Ror at 21:54:38 03-03-2020
  • elstoof 3 Mar 2020 21:59:53 25,581 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    No real problem, didnít bother guarding or evading much. Just switch characters when one of them is in a better position, ie when cloud can get in behind to do big damage switch to him, and when thw scorpion does his electric stuff then attack from range with barrett
  • Ror 3 Mar 2020 22:04:12 19,972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, see, the mistake I made was not switching very often. Apparently I'm a bit slow on the uptake, as I didn't twig why Barret never had any bloody ATB until after the boss.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 3 Mar 2020 22:40:08 13,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It might be because Iím a broken down old man but I felt like everything had more heft and crunch and feeling to it with the controller sensitivity turned down from 3 to 2.

I donít know why I just felt a lot more in control than my first play through or in my time with ďclassicĒ turned on.

That said Iím fairly sure what I want is to feel like a superhero rocking through some of the most iconic scenes of my gaming teens and itís looking like itíll deliver that
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Mar 2020 23:01:56 32,909 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmmm. Unsure on this. It looks great if a bit fuzzy on pauper PS4 and the recreation of FF7 ticks all the boxes better than I thought it would. The new versions of the old "expressive" animations just look weird though.

Unfortunately the combat just seems a bit...messy. Lots of flash will little feel. That boss fight wasn't a great deal of fun either and went on forever.

Also, why do Japanese developers always insist on using such wanky control mapping?
  • ChiefGB 3 Mar 2020 23:02:54 12,402 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Itís a very polished product, but I wonder whether those would be saying you ďloved itĒ if it was just a random demo on the store with no ff attachment. Iíve a fair idea of the answer.
    But being FF7 is basically the whole point of it
    A fair point but I just question whether the game is good as it could be now as itís almost feels like an action adventure game only not quite matching the best of those.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Mar 2020 23:09:44 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, tried the demo and wasn't too impressed. Base PS4 and performance seemed okay but the reactor backdrop just gave us generic warehouses. Played on Normal and the enemies were easy but bulletspongey which seemed like a way to pad out the game time to me... I enjoyed VII back in the day but never went with the hype as I had played 4-6 before it and VII always felt like it cribbed just a bit too much from VI. This was already a 'going to wait until I know what they are doing with the other parts' game but to be honest at the moment it has dropped to a 'maybe grab it when dirt cheap' for me. The boss fight was so dragged out and laborious...
  • openrob 3 Mar 2020 23:22:07 20 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the demo would have benefited from slowing things down a little bit in the reactor. Like the laser part was a little unneeded. It's ok but to have something happen every 20 seconds.

But to know what, I'm fucking excited though. I mean, it's damn good and looking forward to it.

Edited by openrob at 23:23:04 03-03-2020
  • Psiloc 3 Mar 2020 23:47:48 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just played it twice and thought it was fantastic.

I did enjoy it a lot more the second time when I knew what I was doing. I also found it better with the camera sensitivity turned up a notch and the camera zoomed out as far as it would go (which still isn't very far). The janky camera is one of my main complaints; the bit where Barret has to take out those guns was a mess.

The Scorpion boss, which I thought was a major HP sponge at first, went down way quicker the second time. I'm not entirely sure what I did differently though, other than... believing in myself...?

But yeah thumbs up from me, can't wait for next month. It looked absolutely amazing on my Pro and ran beautifully too, it seems to be incredibly well optimised
  • Psiloc 3 Mar 2020 23:50:39 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Apparently its 1080p on the base PS4 and 1600-something-p on the Pro, and a locked 30fps on both. Don't know what you guys with fuzzy IQ and "okay" performance are doing
  • MrAGSystems 4 Mar 2020 00:17:47 847 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I watched the DF video there - I played it on the Pro on a 4K screen and thought it was fuzzy too.
  • DownwardSpiral 4 Mar 2020 00:25:47 615 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @MrAGSystems

Fuzzyducky?
  • MrAGSystems 4 Mar 2020 00:42:18 847 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @AddyB_ Aye.
  • Ror 4 Mar 2020 00:56:46 19,972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's dynamic (900-1080 base, 1296-1620 Pro), but apparently spends most of the time at the upper bounds on both machines. I think it looks good on base, even on a 4K screen, and I haven't noticed a single dropped frame.
  • MrAGSystems 4 Mar 2020 01:40:58 847 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I thought it ran brilliantly and aside from the resolution looked good. Good IQ for me is more important than raw resolution anyway.

Maybe it looks kinda fuzzy because the play area is very grey and dull looking? The resolution might be more apparent in a spicier area.
  • Ror 4 Mar 2020 01:53:42 19,972 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DF mentioned temporal AA as well, so that combined with a dynamic res could lead to a bit of softness, I guess.

EDIT would probably be more noticeable in motion

Edited by Ror at 01:54:21 04-03-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Mar 2020 07:34:11 13,284 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought it looked great on base PS4 but then Iím generally think unless itís janky as fuck and has a frame rate crashing through the floor it largely doesnít matter
  • SolidSCB 4 Mar 2020 08:15:22 12,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks fine to me on my peasant PS4. The visuals and sound were spot on for me. It's the gameplay I worry about.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 4 Mar 2020 09:38:40 3,890 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Apparently its 1080p on the base PS4 and 1600-something-p on the Pro, and a locked 30fps on both. Don't know what you guys with fuzzy IQ and "okay" performance are doing
    My "okay" meant without any noticable problems and was a positive descriptor not a negative one :)

Reading other posts reminded me about the annoying turrets/flying things and camera and the pointless laser gates. Either way glad I need to keep less of an eye on this than I anticipated though. It isn't awful but the demo section at least is pretty average at best.

Glad others are enjoying it though and hopefully it does turn out better later on. I still think the fact we haven't even been told how many parts it will be is a big danger sign though...
  • Psiloc 4 Mar 2020 09:41:59 5,484 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really wasn't sure about the gameplay first time, and my initial reaction was the same as what I read on here yesterday:

1. Janky camera
    2. Button mashy
    3. Enemies have too much HP
    4. Evading has no invincibility frames (or at least, not many)
    5. Why is strong attack a different mode, and not just a strong attack button

...though I still enjoyed it.

I played it again about an hour later and like I said before, I turned the camera sensitivity up and zoomed it out as far as it would go (which still isn't that much). This really helped for me - gave it more of a GoW feel. Also I think having grown used to the battle system I was taking enemies out way quicker - I made much better use of shortcuts, when to switch characters and the stagger mechanic etc. etc. and my damage output went through the roof, relatively speaking. It really became lots of fun and more kinetic, helped by the fact that I didn't feel like I was battling the camera any more.

I also got used to the strong attack being a separate mode. Much of a muchness in the end. In most games the strong attack is a gamble because it has a long wind up. In this there's not much additional wind up, but movement speed becomes the disadvantage. The reason it's like this is clearly to tie in with the stagger mechanic - when an enemy is staggered and helpless, a good tactic is obviously to go into strong mode and hammer away because movement speed has become a non-issue.

Thing that I still find weird:

The evasion thing does still seem like a mistake to me. They obviously literally see it as a way to move quickly out of the way such as when the Scorpion charges his AoE - it won't make anything automatically miss. With this in mind I found that the boss didn't announce his moves early enough. Even when reacting as soon as I possibly could I still got hit by his "dodge this" moves. Anyway, guarding seems to be the order of the day unless you know you can completely get out of the way.

Healing both party members was a pain in the bollocks. Even outside of battle it was annoying to fully heal up. I'm assuming in the full game I can still do Cure + All or similar, and true, at this point in the original you didn't have a cure spell at all. But taken at face value in the demo, healing was irritating.

I get the concerns about Barret's character. The scene where he explains Mako to Cloud/the player was just goofy.
  • SolidSCB 4 Mar 2020 09:56:26 12,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the dodging is really crap tbh and everything moves far too quickly to anticipate many of the big moves the boss does, especially when you've got to keep an eye on the ATB, an eye on your health.

I did beat it a lot more easily on my second playthrough, I was down to my last couple of potions the first time around but on my second go I still had about 15.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Mar 2020 10:05:10 32,909 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The ATB bar needs to be displayed somewhere more intuitive. Having to constantly glance down to the bottom corner whilst everything else is going on doesnt work.
  • SolidSCB 4 Mar 2020 10:11:09 12,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just started pressing X at timed intervals and checking manually because it's useless where it is at the moment when you've got all sorts going on.

It's going to be a lot harder work when there are 3 characters to look after. Especially when their bars charge so bloody slowly when you're not controlling them that you can't even really time it.
  • ChiefGB 4 Mar 2020 10:23:04 12,402 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah the bar isnít the most obvious thing, maybe if it was to pulse when full or a noticeable flash when primed.
    Good to hear people getting on better with things second time around but with just a few weeks to go now I donít think Iíll go back till launch or will be a real chore for a third/fourth time.
  • SolidSCB 4 Mar 2020 10:28:48 12,445 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I'm not bothering to play it again. I wouldn't have even played it twice to be honest but I wanted to try Classic, which turned out to be crap.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.