Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 74

Next Last
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2020 14:49:48 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Ror I've not objected to any of the stuff that's outright done "different". But the overly-long copy-paste dungeons and the time-consuming combat have ground me down a bit. I'm in a funny position with this game of "love the story, disappointed by the gameplay".

One thing I do like - and I might be reading too much into things here - is that they seem to have kept Crisis Core as part of the canon for this. I'd fully expected them to reboot the whole timeline, but am pretty sure I've picked up some references to the events of CC. I really liked CC.
  • Ror 15 May 2020 15:23:25 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I thought that about Crisis Core when I read the description of the buster sword in the menus. Then name dropping The Price of Freedom confirmed it.
  • Ror 15 May 2020 15:42:21 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This end bit is very, very FFXIII-2, and while I actually really like that game, I'm not sure it fits here.
  • Ror 15 May 2020 16:15:23 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished.

I didn't like the final playable area - as I said, it feels very FFXIII-2 and not at all like something I'd expect in VII.

But the ending itself, I'm not really sure how I feel. I guess my main thought is just wondering where it'll go from there.
  • Ror 15 May 2020 16:29:30 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also to add, some of the music is extremely FFXIII. I don't say that as a bad thing, as I think XIII's OST is great, and obviously Hamauzu did a lot of work on VIIR's OST (which I also think is generally very good), but there's a couple of pieces in particular that would fit right in if you dropped them into XIII.
  • Psiloc 15 May 2020 18:09:28 5,532 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah I could hear XIIIs influence in the soundtrack too
  • elstoof 15 May 2020 19:38:47 25,868 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some of the music didnít really fit, Wall Market particularly stands out. Generally the updated OST was fantastic though
  • Scimarad 15 May 2020 20:04:58 9,755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @elstoof

Wall Market was weird in that it was one of those pieces of music that stuck out when I playing the original (as for some reason it reminded me of Monkey Island!) but then it only got used in the remake for that little section of tunnel. That said, the new theme did kind of get stuck in my head.

Edited by Scimarad at 20:05:33 15-05-2020
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 15 May 2020 21:15:11 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished now... posted general (non-spoiler) thoughts in the Recently Completed Games thread.

So... the Whispers are the fans of the original, who demand that the story follows it's familiar course? And the game is about breaking free of them?

The symbolism's not exactly subtle by the end, is it?
  • Bombonera 16 May 2020 20:18:01 433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've seen a lot of people mentioning filler as the primary issue that drags the game down. There are a few sections that stood out to me as filler. There is the part where you are travelling to the second reactor. There's a lot of busywork/faffing about with elevators and pressing buttons that wasn't there in the original. The bit where you are travelling to Wall Market with Aerith and have to move the cargo containers around with the mechanical arms was probably the worst part of the game for me. There is also a lengthy section where you are playing solo as Barret then have to fight a boss with him and Tifa. That section felt arbitrary to me. Thought the best parts of the game were the ones that were most faithful to the original. The assault on the first reactor, destruction of sector 7, going through the train graveyard, climbing the plate towards Shinra HQ, and Shinra HQ itself were the highlights for me. If there was less filler and fewer changes to the story it could have been one of the best games of this gen. As it is, it's very good and I enjoyed it, but can't help thinking it could have been better.

Edited by Bombonera at 20:19:33 16-05-2020
  • Ror 16 May 2020 20:31:53 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chapter 14 was the worst for me. At that point I just assumed the dev team really, really hated me. Like, on a really personal level.
    The lab bit under sector 7 was second-worst, and train graveyard third.

One thing I did like though, is having control split between different characters fairly often, and funnily enough it's another thing that made me think of XIII; it can't be argued that that game is basically 'walk forward, fight, walk forward, fight' for 60 hours, but the constant switches between different characters in different parts of the world went some way to mitigate it for me.
  • Graxlar_v3 16 May 2020 20:49:47 10,218 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    One thing I did like though, is having control split between different characters fairly often, and funnily enough it's another thing that made me think of XIII; it can't be argued that that game is basically 'walk forward, fight, walk forward, fight' for 60 hours, but the constant switches between different characters in different parts of the world went some way to mitigate it for me.
    Even when it meant swapping out materia every 5 minutes?
  • Ror 16 May 2020 21:15:35 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    Even when it meant swapping out materia every 5 minutes?
    Ok, less that part. I guess I mean in general I like that you get to control everyone as the main protag at least once.
  • SnackPlissken 17 May 2020 15:54:04 1,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is certainly growing on me. Perhaps itís the music in chapter 8 which I always loved. Even the side quests are too annoying. And I havenít been bothered by the filler too much. Perhaps playing on easy makes it seem more of a breeze.
  • ZuluHero 17 May 2020 17:13:07 8,926 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tbh I was surprised how easy it was on normal. I mostly always play games on easy, or 'story' if they have it. I went into this fully expecting to need to drop its difficulty, but finished the whole thing without resorting to doing it.

The checkpoints are very generous too, it's not like the original where you were sent miles back to the last crystal save point when you wipe.
  • Rodderz 17 May 2020 19:38:38 4,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Tbh I was surprised how easy it was on normal. I mostly always play games on easy, or 'story' if they have it. I went into this fully expecting to need to drop its difficulty, but finished the whole thing without resorting to doing it.

The checkpoints are very generous too, it's not like the original where you were sent miles back to the last crystal save point when you wipe.
    Yeah, the first 3 difficulties didn't offer a huge amount of challenge. Hard mode represents a sizeable step up from the other difficulties though, particularly as you can't use items at all. At this difficulty you need to be both careful and creative with your Materia picks, and I gave all characters a permanent slot of Revive Materia as things can go pear shaped when you least expect!

Got the Plat at the end of last week and looking forward to seeing where this goes in future.
  • SnackPlissken 3 Jun 2020 09:40:13 1,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    They definitely ran out of ideas towards the end of the game. I'm on chapter 15 and I'm starting to feel a little bored. The gameplay is the worst aspect for me. It just doesn't feel right even after 25 hours. There's certainly charm about it but it feels few and far between. Just a bit of a fan service game really.
  • Ror 4 Jun 2020 21:38:53 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a bit weird in that regard. Some parts are extremely fanservicey, and then other bits are basically, "hey, fuck you, fans!"
  • chrisno21 5 Jun 2020 08:25:17 2,298 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My desire for them to actually release the next part certainly dropped after I finished the first. Unless it's an entirely different game in the way it plays I've lost interest - corridors and crappy minigames won't really work for the post midgar parts.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Jun 2020 08:49:07 8,991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm quite eager for the second game. I liked the way the ended the first. But I'd be a lot more excited for the second if it turned out they were completely overhauling the combat.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Jun 2020 12:17:06 1,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My fears months ago of it being like FF15 came through in the end. The combat is just so tedious. I admit to playing it on classic as I really couldnít be arsed with button bashing to fill the ATB. I just donít get this obsession with action RPG games. Platinum games have it nailed down if thatís your thing but please can we have something more turn based... or at least improve classic mode.
  • SnackPlissken 5 Jun 2020 12:18:07 1,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh and theyíre definitely not going to let us travel across the world map. Itíll be broken into sections which will be depressing.
  • Ror 5 Jun 2020 12:35:45 20,223 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Before playing part one, I was worried it'd be a long wait for the second one. Now, I honestly don't know if I even care any more.
  • PierrePressure 5 Jun 2020 12:49:26 1,109 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Oh and theyíre definitely not going to let us travel across the world map. Itíll be broken into sections which will be depressing.
    I was hoping they could do something like FF15 but with a larger map but I think you're right. Can't see it happening.
  • Scimarad 3 Jul 2020 16:50:38 9,755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finally finished this and, on the whole, really enjoyed it after not really being that into the idea of them revisiting this game.

I thought the combat and gameplay was very enjoyable and just challenging enough with two very annoying exceptions. Fighting Rufus seemed to be an exercise in frustration as it seem to take ages to charge my ATB which I would then almost inevitably have to use on healing. When I did finally beat him he seemed to go from having all his HP despite all my efforts and then went down after I hit him with a Limit Break.

The absolute king of all bullshit though was Whisper Bahamut. He seemed to relentlessly attack to the point that I was constantly trying to keep people alive and then just wiped out everyone with a single attack. Then I had the joy of finding out that I had to start again from the beginning of that whole annoying section. I tried that twice with the same results and turned the game off in disgust. I then thought 'fuck it', turned it back on, put it on easy and sailed through to the end without a hint of a challenge. Fuck whoever thought that section was a good idea.

On the whole I can't wait for the next part though I could have done without all that overblown Advent Children meets Doctor Strange bullshit at the end.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.