Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 75

• SolidSCB 26 Feb 2021 08:59:20 16,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seems like they will be milking it. Announced yesterday also were a battle royale game set in Midgar and an episodic mobile game that looks a bit like Crisis Core and incorporates everything from the entire FF7 universe.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Feb 2021 09:04:14 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As many parts as Square see fit to milk as much money as possible.
  • Rogueywon 26 Feb 2021 09:15:22 12,244 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    More realistically, I suspect they'll go for three. The story in the original gets a little less dense once you get past Midgar (well, past the extended flashback just after Midgar).

My wild speculation based on how they approached the first game... the second will go up to the point in the original where Aerith died, though that may play out very differently this time around, in line with all of the "change fate" stuff. The third will be mostly original content.
  • SolidSCB 26 Feb 2021 09:38:07 16,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd imagine it will all follow along quite closely but we're now in a broken 4th wall situation so anything goes at the same time. I still think the ending was done largely to compensate for any chunks of the game they don't want to remake and want to skip past, so they built in a convenient plot device to explain those parts away.

I'm just a bit worried they are literally going to carry on as if the last couple of chapters didn't happen in Part 1 and play FFVII 1997 charades until we hit a part it's convenient to hit the do over button on. If they aren't showing they are now aware of what's going on it's probably going to grate.
  • Tuffty 26 Feb 2021 09:58:30 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hard to know what way they will spin it. The end of Part 1 has the party actively acknowledge that fate has a part in it and the divergent timeline with Zack being alive. While at the same time the canon plot ghosts are actively trying to make sure the plot of the original game still plays out as expected. I would imagine the same plot beats, locations
    characters of the original are still being hit, with some acknowledgement that they may play out slightly differently.

I think what I like about their approach is that the original PS1 game isn't now made redundant by the remake, that it's actually kind of important to your understanding and appreciation of what's going on in Remake.
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 11:29:59 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was one of this game's main defenders in this thread I think and I must say I enjoyed it even more on the second playthrough. Aerith is an even more fascinating character. A lot of stuff she rambles on about that I had thought was just badly written/translated JRPG guff definitely has deeper meaning. She knows. And she definitely fills Red XIII in.

One touch that was genius was Cloud's "headache" scenes. The first time, you think they're par for the course for his original character arc. The second time? He's also seeing glimpses of the original game. Stuff that hasn't happened yet. The scene in Aerith's church being the prime example.

It's meta as fuck the second time. Is the whole thing a cycle? That's pretty on point with the theme of the original game tbf.

I maintain that the overall jist has to be the same. Shinra, Jenova especially, Mako/Lifestream, Avalanche, Clones, Rufus, the Turks - you just can't establish all this stuff and then discard it for a completely different plot. Ultimately they're still leaving Midgar on a journey to pursue Sephiroth. They have to visit all of the same locations, meet the same cast etc. It can't be a "this has all happened before" plot if the things you're seeing bear no relationship whatsoever to the original game right? I think it can only get significantly different towards the very end. They literally show snippets of FFVII's ending (even the good parts of the ending) and Red says they're visions of what will happen if they fail to defeat the plot ghosts. So at the very least the ultimate ending of the game will surely be different?

My opinion is that it's going to continue the "meta" angle, and lean more into it as things rolls on. I kind of love how even seasoned players can't predict what's going to happen.

I have a friend who recently played through this having not ever played FFVII (or even FF much in general) and interestingly he found nothing odd or nonsensical about the plot at all. I asked him what he thought about the end portion and he said it just made him want to find out what happens next. I guess stuff that's weird to us is just an unresolved plotline to him.

Unrelated, I fucking hate Zack's VA.

Edited by Psiloc at 11:35:35 26-02-2021
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 11:32:24 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Incidentally I found the game easier on a second playthrough and didn't die once. I maintain if it's becoming a slog and you're only doing chip damage, you're either underlevelled (though I didn't have to grind once) or are doing it wrong.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Feb 2021 11:40:03 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No I'm not doing it wrong. The gameplay mechanics are awful.
  • SnackPlissken 26 Feb 2021 11:43:20 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Problem to me is that everyone seems to want to have ACTION RPG. And that sacrifices some of tactics in a battle because you're chucked in the middle of it going what the fuck do I do, until its obvious and then its rinse and repeat. Whereas in the old ATB you were given time to figure out a tactic. Suppose that's why I went down the classic mode because it felt more like how I wanted to play.
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 11:49:59 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I miss turn based battles too.

I never touched classic mode but if it was literally the same as the normal mode but every decision paused the gameplay and brought up a menu, the pacing of the battles would be completely fucked. If that's the case I'd recommend trying out the normal gameplay. Classic mode sounds like a gimmick.
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 11:53:49 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Maybe classic easy mode will strike a better balance there.

One legit complaint I have is the way spells can be interrupted, and you still lose your ATB gauge. This can be devastating if you're trying to heal. I don't know why they didn't just let you keep your ATB charge in those situations. Taking the damage and having to restart the spell is punishment enough.
  • Dombat 26 Feb 2021 11:55:30 1,915 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    I stopped playing a few weeks ago hoping for a frame rate patch, this isnít bad and not too far away either. The game looked great, but I was really getting annoyed at the 30 fps when everything else I was playing was at 60.
    Yeah, I gave it a quick go on my PS5 a while back and I found the framerate a bit jarring after all the 60fps gaming I've had lately so I haven't touched it since. Was considering going back to my playthrough that stalled half-way through the game last year (probably because I got distracted by other games) but now I have a reason to put the game on hold.

This is probably the PS4 game I most wanted a performance patch from so I was delighted with the news. (Edit: second - top priority is Bloodborne but whatever...)

Edited by Dombat at 11:57:48 26-02-2021
  • Malek86 26 Feb 2021 12:20:23 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    According to leaked links, FF7R is coming to PS Plus next month. But only for the PS4, and apparently Plus players are not eligible for the free upgrade. Welp.
  • Tuffty 26 Feb 2021 12:28:45 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That would be remarkably dumb. On what grounds would they be excluded? It's not like there's a free to play version or anything.
  • Malek86 26 Feb 2021 12:29:57 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They could easily just release a PS Plus Edition of FF7R. They did it with Driveclub, to allow PS Plus owners to buy it permanently at a discount.
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 12:34:59 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    They've said the free upgrade is only for disc owners. Probably to soften the blow for paying full price for it not too long ago.

I'm guessing they don't have the mechanism to include paid digital purchases in that but not Plus users
  • Malek86 26 Feb 2021 12:37:01 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wait, are you sure? That'd be kind of crappy if you paid full price for the digital edition and weren't allowed to upgrade.
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 12:48:45 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was in small print during the state of play.
  • SolidSCB 26 Feb 2021 12:54:17 16,619 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's a little bit dumb really. Especially when you can just find the disc copy for 20 quid elsewhere. Don't see many people falling for the full price upgrade route. Probably losing out on a few Yuffie DLC sales doing this too.

Can see a Control esque U-turn before long.
  • Tuffty 26 Feb 2021 12:55:07 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you already own FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE for the PS4 (physical or digital version) and own a PS5, you can download the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE free PS5 enhancement update. This update does not include the new episode featuring Yuffie. The new episode featuring Yuffie can be purchased separately. An internet connection is required to obtain the free PS5 enhancement update. However, if you have purchased FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (physical edition) for PS4 and own the PS5 digital edition (the model without a disc drive), then you are not eligible to download the upgrade
  • SnackPlissken 26 Feb 2021 12:59:15 3,458 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This whole upgrade process for PS5 is proper the shits. Why do they continually make it confusing.
    Lets hope they ironed out the bug when you try and upgrade to PS5 and it doesn't just install the PS4 every time you boot up the game...
  • Psiloc 26 Feb 2021 13:00:29 6,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ah my mistake. It's saying that you can't use your FFVII disc to get the free upgrade on a disc-less PS5.

They really needn't have bothered spelling that out
  • Malek86 26 Feb 2021 13:12:03 12,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think they need to spell it out because I remember at one point EA was telling people who had bought the disc version of FIFA 21 and upgraded to a disc-less platform to contact their customer center for options about getting a digital next-gen upgrade. I'm not even sure if anything came out of it, but there you go.
  • Tuffty 26 Feb 2021 13:14:48 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Ah my mistake. It's saying that you can't use your FFVII disc to get the free upgrade on a disc-less PS5.

They really needn't have bothered spelling that out
    Lots of other games have already mentioned this about their upgrade path which means that rest assured the question has been asked many times by people hoping they could upgrade from disc to digital.

Watching the trailer again it almost looks like Weiss is in the VR world. So his role could be just relegated to a referential wink and nod as a super tough optional boss battle. They might use him in the story who knows really.

Edited by Tuffty at 13:26:19 26-02-2021
  • Tuffty 26 Feb 2021 16:46:58 4,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My guess is there are 2 diverging timelines, one very much different from the original. Perhaps in the familiar one we know they can hit the plot points of the original with some updates and Zack can be the main hero in the other, he can be the merc Avalanche hires and get a different story from there which will eventually lead up to both merging together at some point and give fans the Cloud/Zack team up fans could only imagine would happen.

It's basically all set up for some prime Nomura bullshit, it's not even worth trying to make some prediction on how the story will pan out other than just some fun guesses. I was entertained by the first part enough to just let myself go along for the ride.
  • Derblington 26 Feb 2021 16:47:17 35,099 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    This whole upgrade process for PS5 is proper the shits. Why do they continually make it confusing.
    If youíve bought FFVIIR then you can get the free PS5 update.
    If you havenít bought it but do get the PSPlus version you canít get the free PS5 upgrade.
  • dominalien 26 Feb 2021 16:54:08 10,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the PS5 upgrade for PS4 games is fairly straightforward and sensible if you think about it for a second.

And they're giving away the PS4 version of FFVIIR with PS+, not the PS5 version. It would be cool if it were otherwise, but it also makes sense.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.