Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 28

• Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 10:09:51 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    It could go FF10/13 and be fairly linear. As you say there was mostly nothing but random encounters in those areas anyway but I did like the vehicles and the sense of exploration they gave you. Would be a bit of a shame to lose that but not really a deal breaker.
  • Psiloc 10 Jun 2019 10:41:01 5,077 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was a substantial leak a few weeks ago that suggested the episodes follow the old disc structure so fairly meaty, but the episodes would be full priced games.

It was one of those "this source has been very accurate in the past" sort of leaks. I think it was posted on ResetEra or something like that.

I suppose we'll find out in the coming days. Its obviously based on the old argument that the original game was just too big and too expensive for modern gaming sensibilities. If that holds true I'm personally OK with it I think
  • atothewest 10 Jun 2019 10:51:11 990 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That sounds like bull because disc 3 had almost nothing on it. I'd be amazed if the first episode is anything more than Midgar - and tbh would be surprised if it's even the entirety of that.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 11:30:07 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Midgar could be rattled off in a few hours in the original, and I would expect this version is likely to be more linear than the original rather than less. You would expect a lot more than that section but again, there hasn't been so much as a single still image outside of that area so far.

That would be a really poor shred of content to cut out and sell at full price.
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Jun 2019 11:33:43 2,781 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I won't be surprised if this first episode/installment or whatever is best to define it (we just don't know) is solely Midgar. However, I don't see it it impossible it being more and them just keeping that reveal back until a later time (hopefully tonight).

If it is more they would be wise to reveal it sooner rather than later. When was this first at e3? 2015? Will have been nearly 5 years assuming there won't have been a delay. So in the schemes of it we are now 80% of the way their and really need a big info dump tonight.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 11:33:45 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I generally figured on 6-10 hours for Midgar, depending on how much grinding you wanted to do and whether you knew what to do when you got to Wall Market.

If the first game really is just Midgar, they are going to need a hell of a lot of new content for it.
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Jun 2019 11:34:22 2,781 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also I hope that they have made good progress on the second part so the gaps are only each year or 2 and not every 5 years...
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 11:38:32 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    What was that black smoke enveloping Aeris in the trailer? I don't remember that from the game.

As an aside, I always wanted them to do a prequel based on Jenova. It was always the most interesting part of the games story to me. It's basically The Thing, but in a cool sci fi setting.

A prequel set 2000 years before, when Jenova first lands, you play as some of the Cetra trying to combat Jenova as it starts murdering everyone, culminating with them banishing it into the north cave where its found by Shinra 2000 years later.

Could even do the backstory on the Weapons as part of it. I'd love it.
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 11:38:33 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Post deleted
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 11:39:53 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Maybe midgar is shorter than I remember. Though it's slowed down a lot by the story and the fact that you climb a wall for about an hour.

Then the game rewards you by letting you climb 100 flights of stairs.

They can cut these parts.
  • DakeyrasUK 10 Jun 2019 11:49:51 2,781 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Midgar was about 6 (rushing) to 10 (exploring at a leisurely pace) hrs long. Any longer and you are spending time grinding/enabling the easy difficulty setting.
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 11:51:39 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    What easy difficulty setting? Is that in one of the various rereleases?

I think I mis-remembered it. Maybe it was Disc 1 that was 20 hours long. I seem to remember completing it in about 40 hours on my first playthrough, as disc 2 is a lot shorter and disc 3 is just the north cave and bosses.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 12:02:05 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Joyless_Man I think he just means "getting over-levelled".

FF7 is, roughly speaking, a 40 hour game for a first playthrough (a player who knows what they are doing can knock up to 10 off that, ignoring uber-optimised speedrun tactics). A full Ruby/Emerald weapon run is likely to be around 80.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 12:07:46 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Midgar is really short if you do what needs to be done. 4 maybe 5 hours, a handful of bosses and a lot of talking. You don't need to do any grinding whatsoever there. It is pretty much the tutorial level for the wider world.

They can't make a game out of that section without it being pretty insulting to charge full whack for it.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jun 2019 12:10:38 10,704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really would would like some clarity on the episodic nature as mentioned above. 120 for ff7 is going to be a bit of a hard sell for me, and it could be even higher if digital etc.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 12:14:29 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The more I think about this, the more it would make sense in spacing terms to run the first game up to the ocean crossing. The Jenova fight on the boat could then be the end-of-episode boss. There may need to be some minor story changes to give a bit more of a build-up to that fight, but that's not impossible.

That way, your first game has Midgar, Chocobo Ranch and Junon, as well as the major flashback and quite a bit of side-exploration (e.g. Fort Condor). That sounds like a more sensible chunk.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 12:18:25 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Junon crossing would be the perfect finishing point for a 3-parter. It always felt like the natural close to the first act of the game.

If they absolutely HAVE to do it in episodes, one up to Aeris' death and one after would be the ideal way to do it.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 12:22:48 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @SolidSCB Agreed. You may want to shift some bits around to get the right balance (for instance, stick Wutai in the third episode), but that sounds like the right split for a three-episode game.
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 12:58:00 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    It is slightly concerning that all of the footage is basically from the first 2 hours of the game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 13:00:26 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Joyless_Man One of their older trailers does have the iconic "Sephiroth in the flames" clip. If that's actually cutscene footage from the new game, then it implies that the first episode will at least stretch as far as the major flashback (which is post-Midgar).
  • FrostPan 10 Jun 2019 13:16:53 1,603 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Joyless_Man

The sewer boss that was revealed in the previous trailer is certainly not from the first two hours of game, but still Midgar.

But yeah I've seen some heated debate towards that smoke enveloping Aeris scene part. I personally don't care, I'm expecting new scenes that weren't in the original to make things fresh.

I am slightly worried if this first installment will be Midgar only though. Ending it after Junon would be ideal.

There's going to be full reveal at the Square conference tomorrow morning it seems, based from a tweet from the official Final Fantasy Twitter page.

Edited by FrostPan at 13:22:49 10-06-2019
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 13:29:17 11,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest I don't think that shot of Sephiroth is indicative of how far in development they were or how much content is going to be included in episode 1. That's just the shot of Sephiroth everyone thinks of when the character is mentioned.

I think it's a knocking bet it will just be Midgar. I hope I'm wrong, because it's the wrong way to go IMO.
  • Psiloc 10 Jun 2019 13:38:58 5,077 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    If they absolutely HAVE to do it in episodes, one up to Aeris' death and one after would be the ideal way to do it.
    This is what the leak last month suggested. Was it not discussed on here? Two parts, Aerith's death being the end of part one. But both parts are full price games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/bpop1n/squareelsegundo_just_posted_a_leak_and_delete_his/envt7yu/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

On balance I'd be happier with two full price parts than several cheaper ones. To be fair I do subscribe to the school of thought that FFVII, done to modern gameplay standards, could be an absolute monster in terms of scale. If that holds water in the game we eventually get then I can make peace with two full price releases.

On the other hand if they're simply going to exploit that logic and charge double while also reducing the scope of the game, I'm not going to be too happy. I'll still buy it though because FFVII.

It looks like we're going to find out tomorrow anyway
  • SnackPlissken 10 Jun 2019 13:39:13 985 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think it's pretty clear with the development time that they're struggling to capture the magic of the original game.
  • FrostPan 10 Jun 2019 13:43:49 1,603 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Psiloc

The leak was debunked. It was revealed after that the leaker was trolling and he did it to see how some people can easily lap up any info.
  • Psiloc 10 Jun 2019 13:44:04 5,077 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Psiloc 10 Jun 2019 13:45:05 5,077 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah.
  • Tuffty 10 Jun 2019 13:46:40 4,334 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If Tifa doesnt have big bouncing anime titties then I'm gonna make a 30 min YouTube video saying how it's the leftists fault.
  • FrostPan 10 Jun 2019 13:50:15 1,603 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Ah.
    Yeah, it's a shame. I would have loved it being two parts too.
  • richarddavies 10 Jun 2019 13:52:08 6,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played through it again last year (on vita) and managed to get to the last cave at around 35 hrs. And that was getting the gold chocobo as well. Guess it all depends on how much extra content in there. With this new battle scheme I'd expect the fights can be done alot quicker as well. And half the game was going in and out of battles.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.