Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 29

• Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 14:30:59 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'm very much looking forward to seeing this in full glorious HD with that soundtrack blazing.

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/File:Final_fantasy_VII_-_Sephiroth_Summons_%22Super_Nova%22
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 14:37:41 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    In 2023
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 14:42:45 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    in Final Fantasy VII Episode 8: The Northern Crater Part 2
  • Joyless_Man 10 Jun 2019 14:46:10 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Exclusive launch title on PS6.

But seriously, imagine that fight with that engine. I think I might cry.
  • Ror 10 Jun 2019 15:05:45 19,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From a storytelling point of view, I kind of like the idea that leaving Midgar could be an ending, and the flashback at Kalm could be an opener. But from a logical "that's fuck all of the story" point of view, that would be terrible. As others have said, ending part one as the gang board the ship at Junon would be a decent length.

I'm still feeling a bit 'eh' about the whole thing anyway, to be honest. But I am on board for them adding more and fleshing various things out. There's definitely more they could do in Midgar, though certainly not enough for a full-length RPG.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Jun 2019 15:18:08 6,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    An episodic FF7 is going to require a bit of story-rewrite to get it to flow. I'm fairly comfortable with that, provided they don't change major plot beats (let's not resurrect Aeris).

For instance, as per my previous posts, I think the Jenova fight on the ship would be a good place to end the first episode of a three episode game. In the original version of FF7, that fight does come a bit "out of nowhere". If it was to be the final boss for an episode, more would probably need to be done to build up to it in advance (a bit of sensible foreshadowing that something big is going to go down on the ship, for instance, and probably some expansion of the Junon scenes to go with this).

Similarly, it may make sense to move the ordering of some of the sequences a bit. If you assume the following rough structure:

Episode 1: Midgar through to sea-crossing
    Epsiode 2: Costa Del Sol through to Aeris's death
    Episode 3: Aeris's death through to the ending

Then you have an episode 2 which is probably rather heavier on the content than 1 or 3. There may be some benefit in moving locations around the game-world a bit to give more even spacing - for instance, pulling the ruined reactor (or even Cosmo Canyon) over to the other side of the sea and putting them in episode 1, or moving some of the Nibelheim material later in the story and putting it in episode 3.
  • SolidSCB 10 Jun 2019 15:59:37 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is the problem, even though there are parts of the game where you could say "That's a good place to leave things for a bit", they are making episodes of something originally designed and intended to be a straight through experience.

The Junon ship bit. Yeah, a good story beat to leave as a cliffhanger after a pretty relentless few hours of story and progression after leaving Midgar. But what comes after that and how are we going to kick off a new episode we've waited X months/years to play? Hours and hours of busywork for Barrett and Red XIII's backstories, with the main plot by and large forgotten about. It isn't until Nibelheim that anything really happens and even then, it's very brief and then it's back to introducing another party member. The pacing of the game just doesn't work for episodes, there are very clear peaks and troughs all the way through to give players a break from the main path that work great over the course of a single game, but I don't see working for an episodic one.
  • DangerousDave_87 10 Jun 2019 18:24:39 6,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It would be hilarious if an HD remaster of FFVII (much like Resident Evil 1 on GameCube), with completely re-rendered backgrounds, new character models and enhanced music, popped up in Nintendo's Direct presentation, as a Switch exclusive. There'd be actual warfare between fans.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 18:25:53 10-06-2019
  • Cappy 10 Jun 2019 18:33:32 14,134 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm doubtful on the warfare front. I don't think anybody is really that invested anymore. This diverges so far from the original it might as well be a spin-off like Dirge of Cerberus.

A visually upgraded version of the original just doesn't make economic sense since they'd have to rebuild everything with new assets anyway.
  • Ror 11 Jun 2019 02:05:49 19,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sure sounds like part one is Midgar alone...
  • Ror 11 Jun 2019 02:16:31 19,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pretty decent blow out on this so far. Makes a change for this E3. Plenty of details on the combat system.

EDIT Game is playable on the show floor.

EDIT 2 Extended trailer showing Tifa and events up to ShinRa headquarters.

Edited by Ror at 02:23:06 11-06-2019
  • SolidSCB 11 Jun 2019 07:55:06 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks very nice but the Midgar section just isn't enough to justify this episodic route they've taken. It now makes me think there is either going to be a comical amount of episodes, a massive wait between each or a seriously trimmed down version of the game that just focuses on key events.
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Jun 2019 08:08:37 11,540 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • challenge_hanukkah 11 Jun 2019 08:09:20 11,540 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Edit: wrong thread
  • elstoof 11 Jun 2019 08:22:22 24,370 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Never know, when 7 first launched all the publicity was focussed on Midgar only, all pictures in magazine reviews were taken from there with no mention of the wider world. I read every review going before launch, and remember being blown away when you get dumped outside having never played a FF before. Perhaps theyíre doing that again, but this is Square weíre talking about
  • JoelStinty 11 Jun 2019 08:29:40 8,246 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    It looks very nice but the Midgar section just isn't enough to justify this episodic route they've taken. It now makes me think there is either going to be a comical amount of episodes, a massive wait between each or a seriously trimmed down version of the game that just focuses on key events.

There is a lot they can do to flesh out that section though. Expecting to see a lot of side quests and Wall Street to be expanded as well as new areas. Donít think this will be a literal translation.
  • atothewest 11 Jun 2019 09:00:36 1,043 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine the reactors will be heavily padded out with corridors and battles compared to how they were originally as well.

Wall Market is the part I'm most excited to see - do I remember them saying they weren't going to have the cross-dressing side quest? If so interesting to see how that segment pans out as it was basically the entire purpose of being in that area.

Also keen to see the ins and outs of the more mundane aspects of the game like NPC interactions and menus etc. As well as how materia will function. Lots of questions still but have to admit it looks fantastic visually.
  • SnackPlissken 11 Jun 2019 09:19:54 1,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Corridors.. I'm having flashbacks to Final Fantasy 15. I don't know how to react to it. It looks nice, but having played 15 combat (which is fun) I fear they're losing out on some of the magic the original game had. I can't imagine the odd humour translating very well to what I've seen so far.

Westernised bish bash bosh. WOOOOPPPPPPP *heavy hand claps*

Edited by SnackPlissken at 09:20:39 11-06-2019
  • TrueSpins 11 Jun 2019 09:30:23 40 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The fact that Midgar is now going to be the entirety of the first episode really worries me. I just get this sense that this remake is going to be a collection of highlights from the original game, without the wider moments that bound the set pieces together.

My favorite memories of FF7 include seeing Gold Saucer in the distance for the first time and thinking "WTF is that?", discovering the KOTR Island, getting a new mode of transport and the general sense that I was on an adventure in this wide open world.

Sure, we all know that in many respects FF7 was quite linear, but it gave the illusion of freedom, and I worry we could lose that.

That said, FFXV did create a great open world (even if it failed to capitalise on it) so hopefully I'm wrong and the devs will do us proud.

Edited by TrueSpins at 09:31:34 11-06-2019
  • Joyless_Man 11 Jun 2019 10:13:58 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    The combat looks decent. I am getting the sense (by the fact they are not divulging information) that these episodes are going to be full priced games and are going to be very spread out. Maybe one a year like some other big publishers do with CoD etc.

I was joking earlier in the thread when I said we would be fighting safer sephiroth in 2023, but I think the joke might be on me.
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Jun 2019 10:21:44 8,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Joyless_Man well the special edition is £260 so yeah full priced games
  • ChiefGB 11 Jun 2019 10:30:54 11,625 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It looks utterly fantastic but Iím not paying £180 to play the whole bloody thing.

Or am I.......it really looked spectacular.

Also they arenít being at all transparent around all this, donít they even now how many parts they can squeeze it out to yet? Is anybody going to call them out on this?

Edited by ChiefGB at 10:33:54 11-06-2019
  • Graxlar_v3 11 Jun 2019 10:33:09 8,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I will be, I canít wait
  • Joyless_Man 11 Jun 2019 10:40:22 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    It does look very good. If they can nail the story and the rpg elements then I'm all for it. I am a bit disappointed they haven't revealed the full schedule for the whole game but that's obviously because they have no idea themselves yet.

I wasn't a fan of all the 'banter' between cloud and Barrett in the boss fight. I just wanted them to shut the fuck up.

Hopefully it's confined to bosses and set pieces and they don't dribble on like that in every encounter.

But yeah, bloody hell, it's actually happening and it looks pretty great.
  • ChiefGB 11 Jun 2019 10:48:50 11,625 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely if itís episodic, they canít get away with just calling it ďfinal fantasy remakeĒ with no further clarity in the title. Are they deliberately misleading or hiding this from all but the most clued up. Or are we misreading it all, I just donít understand no explanation of the model (unless there isnít one and we are clinging to old info)
    I just donít like deception of this kind.
  • Joyless_Man 11 Jun 2019 10:55:22 541 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Maybe it will be Final Fantasy Remake 2 for the next part.

SE are not very good with titles (though it's more to do with the fact they are obviously winging it).

You would think it would be called Episode 1 or something.
  • DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2019 10:55:42 3,172 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched the ffvii section from the Square show and wow. Ffvii is looking spectacular.

Still as others are above not sure about the episodic nature and how many parts/how bastardised is the story going to be. But I can guarantee this, I will be playing every one of them (unless the first is truly awful) which really does not look to be the case!
  • Psiloc 11 Jun 2019 18:24:00 5,208 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thought it looked quality. I'm super confused by the stuff about it being on two Blu-rays though. Surely that's not just part one? But if not, does that suggest that there are only two parts to the game? On the other hand though I really don't see part two being the whole rest of the game post Midgar.

Have they clarified WTF they're talking about here?
  • DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2019 18:40:43 3,172 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just watched it back and the translation is and we anticipate 2 bluray discs worth of content. Then immediately go on to say the first focus on the midgar section.

It's at 3 mins in the following clip.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvzzivkK28&feature=youtu.be
  • richarddavies 11 Jun 2019 18:41:42 6,854 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dont see what else they could of meant really by two blurays other than this part is 2 discs. Odd that they e gone down that road though. Most games these days come with the 1 disc then just have a massive download for the rest.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.