Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 30

• DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2019 18:54:44 2,781 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @richarddavies that was my initial take, but they say they anticipate about the project as a whole.

I'm now expecting a two parter. Not sure if the first will solely be midgar, but be the main focus.
  • Joyless_Man 11 Jun 2019 21:25:03 237 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I don't remember anyone thinking the game was done at midgars end as the story was clearly just getting going.

And they would have had 2 more discs to put in the playstation.
  • atothewest 11 Jun 2019 21:34:41 990 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not that the game was done, but I do remember assuming that the game would be set entirely in Midgar, and that it would just involve progressing through each of the eight reactors. Properly blew my young mind when you ended up out in that massive world to explore.
  • Robospud 11 Jun 2019 21:37:57 37 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Yeah I too thought the entire game was set in Midgar, I remember being in awe when the world opened up. At the time I'd never seen anything like it.
  • DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2019 21:39:20 2,781 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember thinking oh how do I get back in? And kind of assuming that getting back in would be the next part of the game. Then I got to kalm...
  • Ror 11 Jun 2019 22:12:17 18,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jason Schreier:

Just asked Yoshinori Kitase how many games are going to be in the Final Fantasy VII remake - he said he can't say yet "because we don't know ourselves."
    Further down the chain, someone suggested the obviously do know, but don't want to commit. Jason's reply:

No they were very clear - Kitase said they're in the process of planning out the scope for game 2 right now
  • adamasunder12 11 Jun 2019 22:16:21 210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    This does look lush. Just catching up.
  • elstoof 11 Jun 2019 22:16:46 23,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think that revelation of the wider world was more exclusive to European gamers, as it was the first FF game we could play. I doubt anyone whoís played 6 in the US wouldíve been quite as surprised
  • drhickman1983 11 Jun 2019 22:39:46 5,906 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That trailer looked better than the previous ones. But if still didn't quite match my imagination.

Trying not to sound like a prick, but the joy of the SNES and PS1 era RPGs is how you'd need to use your imagination to fill in gaps that the system leaves. I actually think that's partly why I find some RPGs from those eras more engrossing than new ones.

By being more explicit it just loses something. Or maybe I'm being a dick.

Still not seen any evidence of the sillier aspects of 7 in play either. But they're feeling more likely now.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 22:44:55 11-06-2019
  • adamasunder12 11 Jun 2019 22:43:35 210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    You don't sound like a prick. I get what you mean.
  • DakeyrasUK 11 Jun 2019 22:44:12 2,781 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    Jason Schreier:

Just asked Yoshinori Kitase how many games are going to be in the Final Fantasy VII remake - he said he can't say yet "because we don't know ourselves."
    Further down the chain, someone suggested the obviously do know, but don't want to commit. Jason's reply:

No they were very clear - Kitase said they're in the process of planning out the scope for game 2 right now
    Well I guess then it is going to be 2023 at the earliest for the second installment.

This is going to be 5 parts and finish in the year 2040 isn't it?

Not necessarily a bad thing if they are changing the story enough to keep me interested but not so much it is a betrayal to the original.

It certainly is quite the undertaking remaking ff7.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 Jun 2019 06:02:34 10,760 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    I think that revelation of the wider world was more exclusive to European gamers, as it was the first FF game we could play. I doubt anyone whoís played 6 in the US wouldíve been quite as surprised
    I had 6 on import and can confirm.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 07:33:49 11,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was also surprised at Midgar not being the sole area in the story, but that was over 20 years ago now. Since then we've had countless RPG's with far bigger scope and ridiculously detailed open worlds to explore and they all seem to be able to manage to release as a full package just fine.

What worries me is the comment above, that they are only now working out what's going to go into episode 2. Given their recent history of releasing games I can't help but feel it's going to become farcical between the amount of content per episode and the gaps in between each.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 12 Jun 2019 08:25:38 10,270 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    I don't remember anyone thinking the game was done at midgars end as the story was clearly just getting going.

And they would have had 2 more discs to put in the playstation.
    I thought it was the end of the disc but it was barely halfway through
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 09:14:11 11,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was the first RPG a lot of us played and by extension, the one we spent the most time faffing around on. FFVII felt like it never ended the first time and Midgar literally felt like an actual game in itself. I remember a particular section between Aeris' house and Wall Market, that small room full of machinery taking me about 6 hours to get through because I never realised you could walk up a little pipe that had no cues to show it was part of the interactive scenery. There were multiple cases of that sort of thing through the game that added hours and hours onto it.

Having played the PS4 version recently I was actually amazed at how short some of the sections I slogged over at the time actually were.
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 09:39:51 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of my European friends tells a story about how he was so unused to RPGs back then (and also very young) that he thought the shooting star at the end of the "Cloud's Promise" flashback in Tifa's bar was the end of the first disc
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 09:45:41 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Trying not to sound like a prick, but the joy of the SNES and PS1 era RPGs is how you'd need to use your imagination to fill in gaps that the system leaves. I actually think that's partly why I find some RPGs from those eras more engrossing than new ones.

By being more explicit it just loses something.
    While I'm not put off the trailer for this reason, I completely understand your point in general. I think it's a part of why people prefer the Japanese voiceovers for some of these games; it removes a layer of the 'explicitness'.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2019 09:51:07 5,836 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was already an RPG veteran by the time I played FF7, but had exclusively played Western RPGs up to that point - mostly the Ultima and Eye of the Beholder series (can't remember if I played the first Baldur's Gate before or after FF7). As such, FF7 was my first JRPG and it was a bit of a weird adjustment. I remember tying myself in knots early on by expecting the stats system to be far more complex than it was and then expecting a far more traditional structure to the game. I remember expecting that the game was going to be about working my way around each of those Midgar reactors and blowing them up, via a series of increasingly difficult/complex dungeons and boss-fights.

By the time I left Midgar, I'd clocked that it was something very different to other RPGs I'd played and also that it was a very special game. Like others, I had that "wow" moment when I first left Midgar and the world map opened up. It went on to become one of the very few games that I finished and then immediately started a fresh playthrough of.

I remember following that by picking up loads of other JRPGs, then getting a bit bummed out because none of them had anything close to FF7's magic (though FF6 certainly had its moments).
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2019 10:10:40 10,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never had a ps1 (had Saturn) but my mate did. I briefly looked at him playing ff7 but it didnít really do much for me as I didnít like the look of turn based combat.
    I finally bought the game on vita many years later and played quite a bit but then I got lost out in the wilds as itís a bit directionless and the world map is horrendous to read. My team are still stuck out there somewhere lol but therefore itís a game Iíve still not completed to finish.

Now sitting here contemplating buying again, which would be the best version. Are the new releases on current gen as good as it gets? Are they the cleaned up versions.

Edited by ChiefGB at 10:11:16 12-06-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2019 10:15:38 5,836 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh, I never had a PS1 either. I played this via the (fairly horrible) PC port. Same for FF8. FF9 I played on PC via an emulator (I actually bought a copy and ran it from the discs).

I didn't own a home console until the PS2, which I pretty much bought for FFX.
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 10:56:17 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The PS4 and Steam editions of the original game are both fine

Avoid the original Windows release like the plague unless you want to have to install a bunch of mods just to get it to work (poorly)
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2019 11:08:22 10,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have 7,8&9 on vita I also never played 8 till a few years ago played about halfway through maybe, and nine Iíve still never touched to this day and have seen next to nothing on, I donít know how it plays or anything, which normally would be odd but they are a known quality (if not too me lol)
  • Fonzie 12 Jun 2019 11:25:14 3,344 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have 7,8 and 9 on original PS1 disc. I also have 7 and 9 on PS4 and they are both fine. For convenience, I would just get it on PS4 if you have one. Then you can get 9 and soon 8.
  • PierrePressure 12 Jun 2019 11:34:16 943 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've just bought this on the Switch for another playthrough before the remake and can confirm it plays well barring a bit of slowdown when things get a bit hectic on screen.

I bloody can't wait for this but like a some have said, I think the biggest thing that will detract from this is hearing the voices.

I created their personalities in my head and to hear them now will be quite jarring for me.
  • elstoof 12 Jun 2019 13:06:49 23,212 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Letís face it, theyíll never be able to keep everyone happy or get remotely close to recreating the original feeling, especially because our experience in the west was markedly different to the intention thanks to the dodgy translation
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 14:19:02 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I noticed that Barret is dangerously close to Mr. T again ala the original English translation
  • adamasunder12 12 Jun 2019 14:28:44 210 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

Unless there are planes in FF7.
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 14:37:40 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So at this point are we fairly confident that the two BRs are just for part one? Having watched the SE conference again what's obvious is that they clearly see this as their current AAA, all-hands-on-deck project rather than a B-team thing like I was half expecting so that was great to see. With that in mind there really is the scope to make the Midgar section of the game absolutely massive if they wanted.

It all boils down to how big the areas are and how much to-ing and fro-ing there is. That's why the Midgar section in the OG is 'only' a few hours - you can get through, say, the Train Graveyard in two minutes if you wanted. If that was a fully realised area you could be there for hours, right? And lets not forget that SE embraced western style side questing in FFXV.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 15:06:26 11,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The problem with Midgar is that it is only a fraction of the overarching plot of the game as a whole. It's only 5 minutes before you leave that area that the real objective of the game is presented to the player.

It's all fine adding more corridors to the reactors and making the transitional areas bigger, but it really is just a minute portion of events as a whole. Stretching out that area has a diminishing effect on the rest of the story they have to tell.

I get the feeling a lot will be cut to be honest and we'll just be left with places like Midgar, Junon, Nibelheim and slightly more expanded versions of key events.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.