Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 4

• drhickman1983 16 Jun 2015 15:26:41 6,857 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    Would rather they got rid of both systems and made it more like an action brawler style. Final Fantasy 7 with the mechanics of DMC/Bayonetta/Ninja Gaiden/etc? Can you imagine the glory of it?!
    I'd be up for that. If it was done well, anyway.

Even then, if we don't get a scene where a dog/lion thing wobbles around on it's hind legs whilst wearing a Shinra troop uniform, I'm not interested. I've chosen that as my litmus test to see if the game is going to be irreverent enough.
  • SolidSCB 16 Jun 2015 15:33:34 12,766 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I should be over the moon, but I trust Square Enix as far as I could throw them these days. There's no way it isn't going to be a streamlined action game with faint RPG elements, stripped of any and all light heartedness.

"Some people might not like this reunion" was basically Square Enix telling the audience "You've got your fucking remake, now don't complain when we do it our way".

It goes without saying that I hope I'm wrong, but yeah.
  • Daryoon 16 Jun 2015 15:34:34 5,912 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mine is them including this enemy:

• urban 16 Jun 2015 15:35:32 13,098 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quick question? Am I the only person who's never bothered with Final Fantasy?
  • PierrePressure 16 Jun 2015 15:36:27 1,109 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A director's cut option that allows new areas to be explored whilst keeping the core experience the same.

:eek:
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 16 Jun 2015 15:36:55 47,498 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @urban I wish I hadn't, does that count?

And yet I still own 8, 9 and 10...
  • SolidSCB 16 Jun 2015 15:38:22 12,766 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you can't go on a date with Barrett, they can go and fuck themselves.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Jun 2015 15:39:50 20,043 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FFVII is a really important game for me, but I'ver never had the desire to play another JRPG since. Dipped into a couple but I just don't like the genre.

Kind of interested to play this just for the nostalgic value, but would be surprised if I ploughed through all four discs again.
  • urban 16 Jun 2015 15:42:51 13,098 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    @urban I wish I hadn't, does that count?

And yet I still own 8, 9 and 10...
    Phew.

I do have one of 'those' friends who knows a SCARY amount about FF7, I've probably seen him complete it 6 times but still I think, meh, time hole.
  • drhickman1983 16 Jun 2015 15:44:16 6,857 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gus wrote:
    FFVII is a really important game for me, but I'ver never had the desire to play another JRPG since. Dipped into a couple but I just don't like the genre.

Kind of interested to play this just for the nostalgic value, but would be surprised if I ploughed through all four discs again.
    You'd be in luck, it's only three ;)

I still play it now and then for actual fun. Sure, there is some nostalgia, but I genuinely like playing it.
  • Ged42 16 Jun 2015 15:48:13 7,985 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    Ged42 wrote:
    They should add in a really bizarre and convoluted way of bringing her back to life.
    You can bet your bottom dollar there will be if Anita Sarkeesian or her lackeys get their way ;-)
    I'd thought the last thing they would want is for male hero (Cloud) to save the damsel in distress (Aerith).

I was thinking some strange series of challenges that would make the 'Knights of the Round' Summon and the old save Aerith rumours look like a cake walk.
    I might start some new rumours once the game is out.
  • Widge Moderator 17 Jun 2015 12:57:59 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So Nomura is dropping words to effect of "this remake may differ from the source material"... so I wouldn't expect this to be a graphically uplifted FF7 word for word.
  • Widge Moderator 17 Jun 2015 12:58:28 13,858 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    Gus wrote:

You'd be in luck, it's only three ;)

I still play it now and then for actual fun. Sure, there is some nostalgia, but I genuinely like playing it.
    PLUS the third disc was effectively the end dungeon and nothing else.
  • SomaticSense 17 Jun 2015 13:02:09 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If they turns this into a DMC hack'n'slash, or a Lightning Returns style pseudo-ARPG, then I'll be switched right off the idea.

I'm hoping it's FFVII, with brand new character models, backgrounds, and music. Basically Lost Odyssey with the materia system, or GTFO.
  • the_milkybar_kid 17 Jun 2015 13:09:26 8,274 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm getting more and more into the idea of this now. Big FF7 fan back in the day. Had no wish for them to remake it. Even thought it is all CGI, I really like the tone of the trailer. Just hearing all that music fully orchestrated will be worth it. Come on, hearing that music as you bust through the Shinra building on a bike onto the highway? It's going to be brilliant.

I wonder how they'll do the world map, will it be a massive sprawling open world?
  • Rivuzu 17 Jun 2015 13:11:19 18,385 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    If they turns this into a DMC hack'n'slash, or a Lightning Returns style pseudo-ARPG, then I'll be switched right off the idea.
    If they don't do something different and go with the hack'n'slash, I'll be put off the idea :D

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time or patience for turn based RPG combat. We've moved way past that these days.
  • SolidSCB 17 Jun 2015 13:14:30 12,766 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry, but there are about 8 bajillion other action/RPG/interactive cutscene bullshit games coming from Square Enix in the near future. Let us have this one.
  • SomaticSense 17 Jun 2015 13:16:15 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hope they try to replicate that jaw-dropping post-Midgar moment, where you realise the sheer scope of things, by only releasing Midgar screenies and info, and NDAing the shit out of sites from posting spoilers in their reviews.

Probably impossible in these days of social media and spoiler-laden Youtube vids. But wouldn't it be magical?

Edited by SomaticSense at 13:18:21 17-06-2015
  • Tuffty 17 Jun 2015 13:18:01 4,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I won't mind either way what direction they go with the combat. If it's all new then that's great, I get to experience FF7 again in a new way. Plus Nomura makes good playing games. If it's just the same as FF7 then that's great too.

It's any changes to the story you ought to worry about. Nomura was director of Advent Children after all.

Well one thing seems nailed on Nomura says cross dressing Cloud is confirmed.
  • SomaticSense 17 Jun 2015 13:20:12 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    OH NO!

That means high detail HD Don Corneo *shudder*
  • SomaticSense 17 Jun 2015 13:21:50 15,062 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rivuzu wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    If they don't do something different and go with the hack'n'slash, I'll be put off the idea :D

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time or patience for turn based RPG combat. We've moved way past that these days.
    Some of us haven't.

You already have your thousand action RPGs!
  • Humperfunk 17 Jun 2015 13:28:52 8,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    I hope they try to replicate that jaw-dropping post-Midgar moment, where you realise the sheer scope of things, by only releasing Midgar screenies and info, and NDAing the shit out of sites from posting spoilers in their reviews.
    Christ, FFVII was my first ever JRPG so I had no idea (spoilering as the above is spoilered, even though I'm sure we've all played it!) just how big JRPGs were. I thought I'd completed the game, wondering what on earth the other two discs were for, before realising that oh my word there is a huge world there to explore.

Hands down my favourite memory as a gamer. Before that I was always playing games like FIFA and, ha, Cool Boarders 3 but FFVII and that moment changed my entire outlook on games and shifted my tastes completely.
  • rockavitch 17 Jun 2015 13:32:44 1,206 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll play it but of course I expect SE to fuck it up somehow, and if they do, well I've still the original so whatever.
  • ZuluHero 17 Jun 2015 14:02:02 8,926 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Never gonna happen. Didnt square even say that them selves not too long ago? I can't reveal my sources either.
    Heh...
  • Psiloc 17 Jun 2015 14:18:27 5,532 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ha, to be fair who would have thought that the OP was correct.

Funnily enough I think I disagree with my own year-old posts in this thread. Now that it's been announced I'm oddly optimistic. I mean I completely and utterly understand the "they'll fuck this up, you know" mentality but the simple concept of seeing that world with fresh eyes has made me happy. I think I know that even if it's a bit shit to play just seeing everything again will be worth it.

Basically it boils down to I think the trailer looked good.
  • SolidSCB 17 Jun 2015 14:25:35 12,766 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My thoughts exactly, really. I'm going to enjoy seeing all those familiar locations recreated. Midgar looked stunning in the trailer, so that's a good start.

A little hopeful thought has kept popping in my head since the announcement. "They have so many action hybrids in the pipeline already, they can stay true to the formula just this once can't they? Can't they? CAN'T. THEY?"
  • Tuffty 17 Jun 2015 15:18:16 4,546 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't see there being a world map, personally.
  • pacrifice 17 Jun 2015 15:59:23 5,247 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I wouldn't mind combat being a mix of crisis core, some Parasite eve 2, some Vagrant Story..... If they could somehow mix it all up.... Man, those were some games.
  • Scimarad 17 Jun 2015 16:32:10 9,755 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Tuffty

Yeah, unfortunately I agree with you. Why the hell did they suddenly start to hate overworld maps?
  • Humperfunk 17 Jun 2015 16:42:41 8,197 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember playing FFX for ages thinking "fuck me, takes something like ten hours to get to the World Map on VII so they're playing the long game on this one!" before realising after 30 hours that no, there will be no world map. Fortunately X was still great.

But yeah, loved the world maps on VII, VIII and IX and for me Clive, a JRPG without a world map is missing a huge part of it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.