Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 31

• Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 15:27:15 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah I don't agree with that. There was a lot of story and exposition in Midgar and I thought the location was pretty compelling.

The biggest question mark over part two is the open world aspect. They're gonna have to do it in one way or another, it's just a question of what form it takes. Personally, I can see part two resembling the first half of FFXV.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 15:43:48 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a lot of character and world building. But it is just an introduction, nothing more. There is only really a solid goal when you're outside the gates of Midgar. The main antagonist isn't even seen until a bit further on from that either. If we were looking at a project that released an episode every other month or whatever, it might be a little easier to swallow but by the sounds of it they are still working out what will actually go into episode 2 which suggests a very long wait to see anything beyond the prologue.

It's another Ground Zeroes.
  • Ror 12 Jun 2019 16:10:24 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psiloc wrote:
    Having watched the SE conference again what's obvious is that they clearly see this as their current AAA, all-hands-on-deck project rather than a B-team thing like I was half expecting so that was great to see.
    I mean, this was always the case once they brought it in-house. They don't just have one FF team - this is being made by what was, until very recently, Business Division 1 - Kitase's team. BD2 was the team that made FFXV, BD5 is the FFXIV team, and 3 and 4 handled smaller FF games/remasters, etc.

They had another restructuring recently though, so it's not as clearly delineated as that now.
  • Joyless_Man 12 Jun 2019 16:11:44 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    It's pretty wank really. I might wait until there's a full version. I really can't be arsed hanging around for a year between episodes.

Might just forget about it for now until they get their shit together.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2019 16:17:20 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As long as they don’t put the pretty dire side quest structure of 15 in which bored me away from the game tbh.
    And yes it will dilute the ff7 story, if they extend it all for the sake of squeezing as much blood as they can out of it all. I think it looks magnificent but I would like to know how much gametime we are looking at and how it’s structured before putting my cash down.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 16:20:53 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's a bit of a shame really because it looks pretty good and even the battle system has won me over. But FFVII is far more than just Midgar. It's sneaking on the ship at Junon, pissing around in the Golden Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, the epic climb up the Northern Crater to the Reunion. Just so many iconic locations and moments that I want to see beyond that single opening location, and who knows when, or indeed if, some of those are going to be included in the package as a whole.
  • Ror 12 Jun 2019 16:34:14 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They said a fair while back that each part would be a full-length RPG, and namechecked the FFXIII trilogy as a guidepost for length. But with the news that part one is just Midgar, I don't know if that's going to be the case. I do think there is a fair bit they can add to Midgar - it is a really interesting setting, and we initially saw so little of it. But what SolidSCB says is also true - it's only about the first ten percent or so of the story, and things don't even really kick into gear until you've left.

Which is to say, either we're getting a 20-hour Midgar game, or the story and delivery of plot points is going to be wildly different. I can almost imagine them moving the Kalm flashback to Tifa's bar, the first Jenova fight to somewhere in the slums, etc. Not sure if I'd be up for that, as it would mess with the pacing of Midgar, and the reasons for the gang having to get out of there.

Dunno. Guess we'll see.
  • Joyless_Man 12 Jun 2019 16:37:15 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Well FF13 wasn't 20 hours, so not sure how the 13 trilogy is a good comparison.

They were all full length games. I don't see how you can have something even as long as Lighting Returns (probably the shortest game of the 13 trilogy) set just in Midgar.

It's all very confusing.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jun 2019 16:41:55 6,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I wonder if S-E haven't fallen into the trap of "trying too hard" with this one. If you remember the run-up to the release of FF13, when it was revealed that the game wouldn't have towns, S-E's response was to say "with current gen design principles, a traditional JRPG with a world map and towns would take decades to develop". Then Lost Odyssey came out a couple of weeks after they said that (with a world map and towns) and made them look like twats.

So I'm kind of wondering if they've fallen into the trap of trying to over-design the FF7 remake and push the production values to levels that nobody's actually expecting. The big worry here is that they do this for every episode and we end up with three year gaps between them and the remake still unfinished as we close in on 2030.
  • Ror 12 Jun 2019 16:44:42 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    Well FF13 wasn't 20 hours, so not sure how the 13 trilogy is a good comparison.
    What I meant by this:

Ror wrote:
    Which is to say, either we're getting a 20-hour Midgar game, or the story and delivery of plot points is going to be wildly different.
    Is that, either we're going to get a much shorter game than they initially said, or that they'll be pulling later story developments into Midgar to make it longer, to match that initial goal of a XIII-style length.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 16:46:56 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be honest it's clear they just fell in love with Midgar. If you look at all the post-FFVII stuff they've done it's pretty much all Midgar. Even the movie is basically set entirely there other than one or two little scenes.

I don't expect this level of expansion and focus to translate to the rest of the world from the original. I'd safely bet if they made FFVII from scratch today with no original to template from, you probably wouldn't ever set foot outside it.

They are entitled to go in their own direction with the game, but I think they are slightly missing the point of why they are making it in the first place.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2019 16:51:01 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I’m worried about how long it will take for them to turn these around, and keeping adding those wonderful looking but beyond obscenely priced special editions along the way.
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Jun 2019 16:53:11 2,985 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just now considered file continuity.

Part 2 will be out on next gen. Are we going to have character progression from one game to another?

Will certain skills/abilities be locked away for certain episodes? E.g will knights of the round only be available in installment x.

Or will each game reset/equate everyone to the same level for eaches start?

To be honest this concerns me far more than having years between each installment, which is just a fact of the matter for how detailed they are making it combined with labour hours involved in modern day aaa development.

I really don't want the games to be completely fragmented from each other...
  • Joyless_Man 12 Jun 2019 16:58:17 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Who would be the final boss of this 'game' then? Rufus? That dude at the end of the motorcycle chase?
  • Joyless_Man 12 Jun 2019 16:59:16 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    They're both pretty lame from what I remember, but I'm sure they will be completely different.
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 17:00:14 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's also a legitimate point and I don't see how it's going to work really. Say you miss an enemy skill or piece of materia/quest step you want to go back for that was on a previous episode to the one you're on now, how does that work?
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 17:02:23 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't wait for the riveting ending of episode 1.

Me outside Midgar gate: Selects Cloud, Barrett and Red XIII for my party

Tifa: An unexpected...
    Aeris: ...combination

Fade to black
  • DakeyrasUK 12 Jun 2019 17:34:31 2,985 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @SolidSCB lol
  • JoelStinty 12 Jun 2019 18:45:48 8,073 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Imran Khan (Gameinformer editor) tweeted yesterday that midgar has been substantially expanded and he can see how it is a full game about midgar. He went to a behind doors showing and he seems really enthusiastic about it.
  • Psiloc 12 Jun 2019 19:02:01 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I'm not remotely as worried about this as you guys seem to be. I mean prior to the conference if it had leaked or something about part one being just Midgar I'd have concerns. But based on what I saw I can totally see how it could be a decent sized game without feeling padded out.

I can just combine what I've seen of the engine with the size of Midgar in the old game and see it naturally taking three or four times as long to complete. I mean just the fact that the bomb timer was twice as long as the last game is a bit of a clue
  • SolidSCB 12 Jun 2019 19:41:08 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm sure it will be fleshed out and a solid game in its own right, that's not a dispute.

But it's a tiny fraction of what we know as Final Fantasy VII. If this was an original piece of work I wouldn't have many reservations about what I've seen so far. But given their history in development with the likes of FFXV, I can't help but get the feeling they are just focusing on the nice, enclosed area they can develop within the walls of, and actually don't have a clue how they are going to deliver the rest of the game once it opens out beyond those walls.

It's all very nice seeing an iconic area expanded and given the next gen treatment, but it's still 10% of the thing they are remaking.
  • ChiefGB 12 Jun 2019 20:26:38 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DakeyrasUK wrote:
    Just now considered file continuity.

Part 2 will be out on next gen. Are we going to have character progression from one game to another?

I really don't want the games to be completely fragmented from each other...
    Thing is it won’t be that way at all though. It will probably be forward compatible but they won’t drop PS4, not with the install base and the end life all previous playstations have had. Also it doesn’t look like it needs to be much better than what they already have running here.

In other news I’ve reinstalled it on vita but my save has got lost anyway so may just start again instead of purchasing on current gen. I’ll still never complete the fucking thing anyway lol.
  • Ror 13 Jun 2019 02:07:31 18,822 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    It's all very nice seeing an iconic area expanded and given the next gen treatment, but it's still 10% of the thing they are remaking.
    Aye, this. It's less, "is there going to be enough to do in Midgar?" and more, "is this going to be a ten-parter?"

Edited by Ror at 02:07:44 13-06-2019
  • SolidSCB 13 Jun 2019 08:08:39 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They haven't been very transparent at all about what happens next, what form that's going to come in once the world opens up, how many parts there are going to be or, indeed, how long we're going to have to wait between those parts.

It's pretty likely they don't have a clue at the moment, that's the worrying thing.
  • ChiefGB 13 Jun 2019 12:55:26 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes, I agree, but what they are showing has definitely got me onboard. I’ll take what I can get after this long a wait, within reason.
    I’m not a fan at all of “episodic releases” as it sometimes smacks of “making this up as we go along” or “we’ve chopped this all up to go for maximum fisting”
  • SolidSCB 13 Jun 2019 13:11:43 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm genuinely quite concerned it will never actually be finished. I can see a situation where people get so fed up of waiting between piecemeal slices of disconnected bits of the game that interest dwindles and the project gets thrown on ice before we get to the end.
  • Samildanach 13 Jun 2019 13:12:13 107 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Midgar as a location to build is by far the most complicated of all FFVII locations, so I reckon we will probably see 3 parts in all.

1) Midgar, climaxing with the escape and ending as they look back on the city next to a certain person's grave (Cloud having a crazy moment maybe)

2) Kalm flashback opens part 2 and they everything up to the return to Nibelheim. There would be a pleasing symmetry in it starting and ending there.

3) Starting out meeting Cid and gaining the airship. At this point, there is not that many locations to build other than flying around the world map. Northern continent being the main one, but most of the original disc 2 is revisiting previous locations, so I would wager they would be able to conclude it. Perhaps with dlc for the post game stuff like the Weapons.

2 years between each release probably also if they didn't arse about (they will).
  • PierrePressure 13 Jun 2019 14:03:00 947 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't actually think they'll have a world map, certainly not in the way it was set up in FF7, etc.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Jun 2019 14:08:38 4,815 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The world map was such a big part of the appeal, hope they don't change it too much.

Has anything been shown of the summons yet?
  • SolidSCB 13 Jun 2019 14:11:38 11,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The whole Midgar thing certainly suggests there won't be an overworld. I think they've basically made this area expansive because it gets infinitely more difficult for them to deliver after that and they don't know what to do yet. So hey, here's a full game of Midgar.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.