Following Final Fantasy VII Remake on PS4! Page 33

• Your-Mother 23 Jun 2019 20:32:25 2,939 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, anyone who thinks this is going to be a shot for shot remake is going to be confused.
  • Psiloc 24 Jun 2019 10:02:21 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Having started ff7 again recently, I have left Midgar at 5 hours and 7 minutes.

Outside of making you go through every floor of Shinra towers (and maybe adding another 30 or 40 floors) I donít see how they can have enough content for 2 blu rays.

Also, summons??? We donít get summons yet.
    Surely you can imagine the scope to expand the city of Midgar without simply adding more floors to the Shinra Building.
  • SolidSCB 24 Jun 2019 10:22:10 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think that's the point people are trying to make.

Midgar is a massive, massive looking place and there is an incredible amount of space and potential to build into and expand in that area geographically. I'm sure the world they are building is going to be incredible.

But it is a tiny, tiny fraction of the story of the original. It is an area used to introduce the core characters and lightly build on the themes that will run through the rest of the game, with the main plot only coming into focus when you're literally stood at the gates of the city ready to leave it.

To then use the confines of this area and build an entire, 2 disc game around it raises a lot of questions. If we're still working within the general template of the original then how is that going to work blown up into a 30+hour game? Are the main story beats we've seen before and expect to be included in this one going to be thinly stretched out because of it? What's going to happen in the sections between those parts? If it's just very well designed filler is that really what people really wanted from a remake of Final Fantasy VII? If they are reworking the story so much so that Midgar's pacing works properly to justify an entire game, can we really call this a remake at all?

I understand why people are confused and concerned.
  • Psiloc 24 Jun 2019 12:23:53 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fine, but I don't think I'm ready to assume they're padding the game out to two BRs by adding floors to the Shinra Building. That's some grade A pessimism there :)

It would be fucking horrible if that were the case though I'll cop to that
  • SolidSCB 24 Jun 2019 12:26:36 11,420 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    God help the people that choose the stairs route!
  • elstoof 24 Jun 2019 12:34:20 23,932 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    how the fuck are we discussing the stairs
  • Ror 24 Jun 2019 13:02:08 18,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm pretty sure user Graxlar wasn't being entirely serious.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Jun 2019 13:29:53 7,716 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I'm pretty sure user Graxlar wasn't being entirely serious.
    I was not.

The point still stands though, considering that the actual story stuff in Midgar is only 5 hours, how do you add enough worthwhile content to a game when 99% of it will be side content/filler.

Also, if you level your character as per a normal RPG, do you keep that level as you move to the next instalment or does it restart you at lvl 1.
  • Ror 24 Jun 2019 13:50:33 18,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    The point still stands though, considering that the actual story stuff in Midgar is only 5 hours, how do you add enough worthwhile content to a game when 99% of it will be side content/filler.
    I know, that's what I've been saying since the Part 1 = Midgar announcement :D But also, as I've said before, even if they do add plenty of worthwhile stuff in Midgar, there's still the other 90% of the story to do in however many later parts there'll be. Unless they drag plot points from later in the game into Midgar. I'm fine with a reimagining of sorts, but that also kind of misses the point of a remake, as SCB said. But then that risks getting into a semantic argument.

To the above, Part 1 will play on the next gen anyway, there's no need for a re-release. They'll probably give it a bit of a spite n' shine. I have a feeling Part 1 might cap at Lv30, then Pt 2 picks up from there, but then that makes me wonder how they'll handle materia/gear/items, etc; do they dictate what stuff you have throughout, or at the start of Pt 2? Dunno.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Jun 2019 13:56:56 14,644 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suspect they will put a fairly low level cap on chapter 1. Say level 15.

Then I am guessing at the start of chapter 2 you will be given the option of either importing your chapter 1 save or starting a new team at say level 10.
  • rockavitch 24 Jun 2019 15:03:19 1,125 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wouldn't be surprised if each summon involves a battle to tame it. That would be one way to pad out the play time. This isn't my preference of course but just an idea of what might be coming.

They could do something with the limit breaks too. You see Cloud use cross slash in the demo. I get the feeling they'll only allow one tier per release as I can't imagine them allowing you to grind the first three in the first release. They might even make the manuals for tier four actual quests.

All weapon boss fights will probably be mandatory. Everything you could miss in the original will most likely be madatory actually as I seem to remember reading Vincent and Yuffie can't be missed so that means her whole tower battle will take up some space.
  • Psiloc 24 Jun 2019 15:30:13 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As ironic as it sounds we're comparing two completely different games, divided by 24 years and four (nearly five) console generations.

Put five hours into the Witcher 3, or Horizon or even FFXV, and you're probably still seeing tutorials. You're certainly still on the piss easy 'learn the mechanics' sort of missions.

Perhaps modern RPGs in general waste your time compared to how things were in the 90s - it's a pretty intriguing argument, in fact. If this is your take then yup, you've got a lot to worry about. Personally I quite like the pace of modern RPGs.

We'd ALL prefer it weren't episodic, for the reasons that Ror spells out if nothing else. But I personally think that jumping to conclusions based on the pacing of the '97 game is just flawed thinking.

Incidentally I also think there might be some vast underestimating of the size of the Midgar section of the original game. We've got a time of five hours here, which if you ask me suggests a total play time of around 27-30ish hours. At least that's the kind of time I'd get if I did everything - probably I'd do it even faster tbh. Dog rough numbers obviously but that makes Midgar 17-20% of the entire game. Half of the first disc in play time. If we're assuming this is going to be one of those 100+ hour RPGs (which it really ought to be at the very least, considering part one is two discs, right?) then it perhaps starts to look a bit rosier.

I think that you may be forgetting that after Midgar, and the Kalm flashback, you zip from town to town at a pretty fair lick.

But whatever, having read this back I'm just using certain logic to back up my opinion just like you're using certain logic to back up yours.
  • FrostPan 24 Jun 2019 15:33:00 1,616 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A re-imagining is a better term for it at this point. There will probably be new areas to explore that weren't in the original, and the Avalanche story arc will likely be substantially expanded (somewhat basing this from the new Jessie scenes from the recent trailer). I hope they don't change the scene where you actually meet Aerith properly the first time at the church.
  • Rodderz 24 Jun 2019 16:26:51 3,955 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ControlledChaos wrote:
    I'm curious if progression will carry forward, with a 2020 release for part 1 will we see part 2 on Scarlett/ps5 will part one be rereleased on those formats?
    The next parts of the remake are bound to be on PS5/Scarlett, in addition to what will by then be the 'older' consoles too, albeit in scaled down versions.

As for the upcoming part 1, it wouldn't technically need a re-release as both next-gen consoles are going to be backwards compatible. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Square released a (paid for?) upgrade to increase the res/frame-rate for the new machines.
  • FrostPan 11 Sep 2019 09:41:48 1,616 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.jp.square-enix.com/ffvii_remake/

Countdown to new trailer. Over 5 hours left!
  • Ror 11 Sep 2019 15:18:34 18,822 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They really should rename this to Final Fantasy VII Reimagined.

• Psiloc 11 Sep 2019 16:24:53 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looks quality to me. Had to watch with the sound off - did it give any hints about what the ghostly dudes are?

Anyway, at least we can now put the "BUT MIDGAR ONLY LASTS 2.825 HOURS EXACTLY" argument to bed
  • DakeyrasUK 11 Sep 2019 16:28:17 2,985 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks awesome. Can't wait to play it and get lots of extra story points with biggs, wedge and Jessie!

I still question how many episodes will this have and when can we expect to finish the story again?

But yeah this looks like exactly what I want from it.
  • richarddavies 11 Sep 2019 16:48:33 6,812 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Liking the look of this more and more. FFVII was a massive game for me as a youngster so I'm just worried that it cant possibly live up to 20 + years nostalgia.

Edited by richarddavies at 16:48:48 11-09-2019
  • JoelStinty 11 Sep 2019 17:06:23 8,073 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It looks incredible. Thought Iím not looking forward to getting to know Jesse Biggs and wedge more. /sad face
  • MiniSchnauz 11 Sep 2019 17:58:55 149 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Was that Tseng in there with Aerith at the church or Hojo?

Yes, I'm an FFVII hipster and called her Aerith.

Edited by MiniSchnauz at 17:59:21 11-09-2019
  • Psiloc 11 Sep 2019 18:11:12 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tseng.
  • Psiloc 11 Sep 2019 18:16:57 5,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    It looks incredible. Thought Iím not looking forward to getting to know Jesse Biggs and wedge more. /sad face
    Potentially demonstrates the way the remake is planning to expand on things. Adding a meaningful connection to those characters in particular adds a great sub story to the Midgar section with it's own powerfully inevitable conclusion
  • KRadiation 11 Sep 2019 19:52:57 1,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    God the voice acting is disgustingly shit. Why do they all have to have an attitude?
    "lets make them look as cool as possible in every scene...every single time they speak"

I'm hoping the gameplay is fun though. Just a Michael Bay trailer of lots of flashy stuff and no substance.
  • ZuluHero 11 Sep 2019 22:52:27 7,533 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not interested.
  • drhickman1983 12 Sep 2019 02:50:33 6,040 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Voice acting in the new trailer is horrendous but it's the first trailer that actually made me think I might give it a go.

The previous trailer was very dour and serious, but this was more in keeping the tone of the game, a bit silly.
  • pacrifice 12 Sep 2019 03:06:57 4,821 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I hope it doesn't run so choppy as ff xv on base PS4.
  • Malek86 12 Sep 2019 06:29:03 8,755 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm sorry, I just can't take Cloud seriously with his ridiculous getup and 90's baggy pants.

Won't stop me from buying the game, but still.
  • drhickman1983 12 Sep 2019 07:09:16 6,040 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd rather see Cloud in baggy pants than some modern meggings.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.