Giving books to charity vs hoarding books in flat Page 2

• Carlo 18 Aug 2014 19:40:38 21,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hah. Paper books. How quaint.
    well this, but all the pre-kindle books went to sainsbury's book clubbcharity charity drive. It's still going on I think.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 18 Aug 2014 19:52:22 47,499 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Whatcha readin' for?
  • mal 18 Aug 2014 20:06:45 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Coffee table books are a massive PITA when it comes to moving, cos they're all printed on irregular sized paper so you'll spend ages trying to arrange them in boxes with other books in a kind of 3d krypton factor puzzle. Though at least them you don't have the problem of having ordered boxes bigger than two books big, such that if you fill them with books you'll never lift them again.

Mind you, I guess that's why you pay someone to move your books. DIY FTL.
  • mrpon 18 Aug 2014 20:08:54 36,357 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MrTomFTW Wellllll, looks like we got ourselves a reader.
  • Cappy 18 Aug 2014 20:45:56 14,236 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Books are just one of many things I hoard so most of them get packed away in boxes.

You may think that's not a solution but you'll be surprised at how much your perspective changes in just a few years. A quick look over stacks that have been in storage for years and you'll immediately see books that you don't really need anymore.

I've just remembered that there's a massive box of Doctor Who paperbacks in the loft which can go to charity, I seldom read fiction anymore and they're not the hardback first editions I used to constantly checkout from the library as a child. I wish I'd been around when that original stock had been disposed of by the library.

Those books up in the loft may be the same books in a sense, but they're not the ones I originally read so there's no emotional tie.
  • thelzdking 18 Aug 2014 20:54:27 10,180 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I sent a load of old books to the charity shop today. There were lots to which I felt some sort of vague attachment, but I hadn't read any of them for years and they were just sitting in a box under my bed. Although I have lots of books that I will never be able to part with, particularly my rather lovely coffee table books, I try to keep it to one bookshelf (albeit stacked two books deep).
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 21:15:41
    I got rid of a pile of books I thought I'd never read again.

Have bought most of them again now.
  • BurnoutJunkie 18 Aug 2014 21:39:11 1,180 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I used to be a bit f a book hoarder but gave them away to charity a few years ago. Now just have a collection of about 15 or so physical books, rest on my Kindle.

Now...if only I could do this with my game collection. ARGH.
  • mal 18 Aug 2014 22:28:47 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It sometimes disappoints me that after all these years and all the initial excitement, book crossing still isn't really that much of a thing. Personally, I struggle to think of too many places that are clean and warm where an out-of-place book won't be thrown away by the cleaners almost immediately - train station waiting rooms perhaps (if you can find one that's open), that's about it.

Perhaps you could add a crossing tag to books you give to the charity shop, so you at least get something more than a giftaid letter from doing it.

FWIW, bookcrossing.com
  • drhickman1983 18 Aug 2014 22:33:25 6,992 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BurnoutJunkie wrote:
    I used to be a bit f a book hoarder but gave them away to charity a few years ago. Now just have a collection of about 15 or so physical books, rest on my Kindle.

Now...if only I could do this with my game collection. ARGH.
    I have sold most of my old games. At various points I've sold all of my Master System and Megadrive games, and most of my PS1, PS2 and 360 games.

And I absolutely regret it. I'm not making the same mistake with my books or films.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 22:33:42 18-08-2014
  • senso-ji 18 Aug 2014 22:57:18 10,092 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When I'm not borrowing books from the library (remember those?), I'm buying them from Oxfam books, then give them back when I'm done reading. I'd say give them to charity shops, as they'll benefit multiple people in different ways.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:08:08
    poot wrote:
    If you want physical books for the display of it, then buy book by the yard like they used to do for stately homes. Otherwise, they're becoming more like DVDs/BDs and the like to me - only worth buying if they're either very special or something you particularly love.
    The reason why paperbacks will be here forever compared to DVDs - the process of ownership is beneficial. Not just in an aesthetic box on the shelf way, but in a literal, tangible way. It feels better to read a book than read a screen of text.

But on the original question I suppose you should only keep stuff you intend to replay/watch/read. I nice goal I haven't achieved.
  • Nemesis 18 Aug 2014 23:18:19 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've gradually whittled down the DVDs, CDs are completely gone, but books are much more personal. If I take some to Oxfam, I have to do it quick, before I change my mind and start removing them from the boxes.

/Hoarder

I was very bloody glad to offload Game of Thrones to the book bank up the road; not reading those again.

Edited by Nemesis at 23:18:54 18-08-2014
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:20:54
    Can't say that I've ever felt like the story or writing was improved by it being on paper rather than in eink.

But a text file will never make people cry, I guess.
  • drhickman1983 18 Aug 2014 23:26:16 6,992 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd be happy to buy a kindle if the actual ebooks were cheaper, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. If a physical paperback costs 6, I'm not going to by a digital copy unless it's 4.50 or cheaper.

And then some writers I'd want to continue buying in a paper format. For the shelves.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:34:42
    @drhickman1983 Ye my thoughts exactly, the reason I haven't got a kindle.

They are nice and all and less annoying than real books if traveling, but can't be bothered if they are over-priced.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:39:00
    The cost thing has been kind of moot for ages. It's only really a problem if you only ever read charting books (which are priced up even in dead tree form anyway) or second-hand from charity shops etc. Almost everything else is pretty competitive. Can't remember spending more than $10 on an ebook for a couple of years, and I buy plenty. Average spend is probably around $4.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:41:03
    Why do people think e-books should be so much cheaper, if at all? The paper value is negligible at that quantity. You're paying for the writing, publishing and marketing amongst other things. If anything you could argue e-books should cost more for the fact that you can download them as many times as you like to as many different devices as you like, forever.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:41:47
    Random example: Bought The Stand the other day for the princely sum of $5. The mass-market paperback (ie, shitty quality paper, low quality ink) is about 50 cents more. The regular paperback twice as much.

Yeah, I could probably charity-shop hunt and eventually find it for a dollar, but eh, effort.
  • Nemesis 18 Aug 2014 23:49:22 19,742 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Trying to read The Stand in paperback form makes me yearn for an e-book reader.

I really utilise Amazon Marketplace due to price, but the last order was in a terrible state; I can imagine it was delivered via the sewage system. Fair condition...really?
  • caligari 18 Aug 2014 23:50:29 17,945 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    I'd say give them to charity shops, as they'll benefit multiple people in different ways.
    THIS!

I still help out with a local Oxfam store - it really is amazing to see how generous people are when it comes to donating fantastic books. It's also equally surprising to see how well these 'physical' books still sell in this world of all-things-digital.
  • drhickman1983 18 Aug 2014 23:50:55 6,992 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally, for me, it should be cheaper because I like having physical objects on shelves. That may well seem trivial and pathetic to some, and that's fair enough, but having things I can look at is strangely satisfying to me.

My next book purchase will most likely be Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman, looked on Amazon and the Kindle price is only 30p cheaper, for that price I'd rather have the physical book for the shelf (even though I'd need more shelf space first, I want to plan for the dream shelf.) I do check the prices of most books, and the saving hasn't been great enough to justify dropping 50 for a Kindle.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 23:51:23 18-08-2014
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:51:16
    Yeah, there's also the fact I don't have to carry around a paperback that could also double as a breeze block.
  • drhickman1983 18 Aug 2014 23:54:33 6,992 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On the other hand, I can carry a book around and be fairly satisfied that no matter how roughly my backpack is thrown around, it's still going to be readable, where as I'd be overly concerned about breaking an electronic item.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2014 23:57:22
    Newer kindles are pretty destruction proof, especially with a cover. Earlier ones could be damaged just by looking at them wrong, but my paperwhite's been slung about more than Rolf Harris in the nonce wing, and it doesn't have so much as a scratch. Amazon replace them without a second thought, too, even out of warranty.
  • mal 19 Aug 2014 00:58:50 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'd consider getting a kindle - once I've got through the lifetime of books various people have bought me in paper form over the years. The stories of Amazon deleting books you've bought on kindle would make me think twice, but AFAIK that only happened once, and I guess not having to slum it around all the bookshops in town for that one elusive book is something to say for e-books.
  • gammonbanter 19 Aug 2014 02:30:40 2,002 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never messed with books. Do Amazon actually give you a digital file , that you could back up else where. I don't like the idea of being tied to them for the rest of my life!
  • Phattso 19 Aug 2014 04:02:38 25,705 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    After slowly siphoning off to charity shops the frankly ridiculous volumes of reading material I've accrued over the years I've recently gone all-digital for books and comics.

Picked up a Kindle Paperwhite for books, and using my iPad Mini for comics. Already a load off my mind not having to worry about the ridiculous stack of physical items I've accrued over the years, and the Kindle is solid enough that I just throw it in my bag if I think I'm going to want it.

It's also nice, with the whole content/service thing, to be able to read the books in my iPhone/Pad through the app if I want to and then pickup from the same place when I'm back on the physical Kindle.

I have kept a few books with significant sentimental value, and I'm not lamenting the loss of the rest. So get ye all to the charity shops and unburden your souls of the crippling weight of physical reading material. The future is here.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2014 06:55:51
    I have never been a hoarder and regularly dispose of books I have read (I struggle to read any book more then once as I know what is going to happen)

Having said that I have a few special books I keep, though I buy all my books on kindle now)
  • Deleted user 19 August 2014 07:36:38
    I moved house a couple of years ago and despite getting rid of masses of stuff, still ended up hauling at least 100 odd books to the new place. Fast forward to today and I ended up donating almost all of them to charity shops. Can't say I miss any of them, if anything I feel freer and happier with less stuff.

My rules these days are:

New stuff must be able to fit in my 6x6 Ikea shelving system. If there is no room then something must leave before something new can be added.

If a book is by one of my most favourite authors or contains lots of photos/illustrations etc. then I will buy the best physical version I can find.

If a book is just text then I will buy the kindle version. Of late I have started to buy the odd physical book, with the purpose of reading it immediately and then passing it on.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.