Giving books to charity vs hoarding books in flat Page 3

Next Last
  • ZuluHero 19 Aug 2014 08:12:58 9,159 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Im down to just the books im reading and the ones I re-read.

I use the same mentality I use with games, If I like a book I keep it, if i don't like it, or am likely to only read it once, I give it away. Firstly to any friends and secondly to charity.

Recently though, I'm toying with the idea of putting everything on an e-reader, to basically free up all the shelf space (and the amount of dust) all my books seem to take up.

But the prospect of buying all my favourite again, fills me a bit with dread.

Also, I often pick up books in booksales and charity shops myself, often for no more than £1. Looking at the prices of a digital copy its often difficult to get the same value.

So while i like the idea of a single device sitting on my shelf with 100s of volumes of books on it, the reality is that i'd probably still just end up buying books in addition because they are often a lot cheaper.
  • mrpon 19 Aug 2014 08:19:42 36,380 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone with Nectar should use the Oxfam tag-a-bag scheme.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2014 09:03:14
    HOARD.

I have a lot of books, and am a Luddite when it comes to e-readers. Won't have one.

Edited by RedSparrows at 09:05:46 19-08-2014
  • MrWorf 19 Aug 2014 09:18:34 63,838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    No one is getting my star trek book collection, I'm taking that shit to the grave.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2014 09:25:58 29,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Chalk me up as someone else who doesn't understand this idea that you get a Kindle because the books will be cheaper. Isn't it rather all about convenience?
    It is about convenience and I've found Kindle books more often than not to be more expensive than paperbacks.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2014 09:32:20 29,029 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I moved house a few months ago, both my gf and I have hundreds of books, we threw out hundreds, trying to stick with books that we may read again.
    I like my apartment to be decorated and furnished in a modern, clean way with very little clutter, however, I personally like the look of a nice bookshelf filled with well-kept books.
    If you are a keen reader and donít regularly dump stuff then the paper fuckers can take over your house.
  • MrWorf 19 Aug 2014 09:35:39 63,838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not if you use online libraries they give us books for free. Even a couple local libraries here have whoops to borrow
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.