iCloud: Are your personal pics safe?

First Previous
  • GameCriticDOTcoDOTuk 1 Sep 2014 09:59:21 543 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    No they are not. That was a rhetorical question. Hackers can steal your pictures at will.

Here is proof:

[Edit: original poster embedded a photo of Jennifer Lawrence here purporting to be stolen from her iCloud account. We don't want this appearing on our site so it has been removed. - Oli, Deputy Editor, Eurogamer.net]

Now Discuss.

Edited by Oli at 14:04:13 02-09-2014
  • Deleted user 1 September 2014 10:00:05
    Clever.
  • Fab4 1 Sep 2014 10:02:38 8,797 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is the architecture flawed? or just the passwords on certain accounts?
  • Deleted user 1 September 2014 10:03:42
    Is it even confirmed as an iCloud hack?
  • BigOrkWaaagh 1 Sep 2014 10:05:48 8,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was it a hack or were their passwords just password1?
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Sep 2014 10:06:16 32,582 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Christ, a NSFW might have been useful there.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Sep 2014 10:06:50 25,805 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Is it even confirmed as an iCloud hack?
    Not confirmed AFAIK but it's the main rumour.
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2014 10:08:18 9,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wonder if Chris Martin took these pics...
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 1 Sep 2014 10:08:22 47,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Security of the cloud aside, it's sad that there's people out there leaking these photos. Shows a complete lack of even basic respect for another human.
  • Kew1Melon 1 Sep 2014 10:08:24 487 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't see his link.
  • Ziz0u 1 Sep 2014 10:11:12 11,006 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seen them all, felt dirty.
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2014 10:11:44 9,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's what they all say :p
  • ElNuevo9 1 Sep 2014 10:12:03 14,128 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Security of the cloud aside, it's sad that there's people out there leaking these photos. Shows a complete lack of even basic respect for another human.

If there are naked pictures of Jennifer Lawrence in existence, then it would be a complete lack of respect for humanity not to leak them.
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2014 10:13:18 9,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For a second last night we had world peace.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 1 Sep 2014 10:14:19 32,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    In a strange twist, if my iCloud account were to be hacked, the internet would just be flooded with nude pictures of Jennifer Lawrence again.
  • chopsen 1 Sep 2014 10:15:16 20,452 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

If there are naked pictures of Jennifer Lawrence in existence, then it would be a complete lack of respect for humanity not to leak them.
    Not aimed at you specifically, but... Plenty of people seem to get their knickers in a twist when the extent of state spying is revealed. Look at how reddit discussed the NSA/Snowden stuff and such like. Privacy is really important, get yer hands off my data etc. The minute some nude celebrity photos get leaked? gimme gimme gimme.

It's pretty indefensible really. Sorry about the high horse morality, but it really is quite hypocritical.

Edited by Chopsen at 10:16:03 01-09-2014
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 1 Sep 2014 10:17:53 47,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    In a strange twist, if my iCloud account were to be hacked, the internet would just be flooded with nude pictures of Jennifer Lawrence again.
    Hah. My favourite one so far.

I'm totally stealing it.
  • X201 1 Sep 2014 10:22:11 18,946 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Zizoo wrote:
    Seen them all, felt dirty.
    Were they all taken in a room that looks like a Portakabin that's seen better days?

Edited by X201 at 10:22:50 01-09-2014
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Sep 2014 10:30:54 32,582 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    ElNino9 wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:

Not aimed at you specifically, but... Plenty of people seem to get their knickers in a twist when the extent of state spying is revealed. Look at how reddit discussed the NSA/Snowden stuff and such like. Privacy is really important, get yer hands off my data etc. The minute some nude celebrity photos get leaked? gimme gimme gimme.

It's pretty indefensible really. Sorry about the high horse morality, but it really is quite hypocritical.
    Interesting point - and one I hadn't thought of.
  • PearOfAnguish 1 Sep 2014 10:35:29 7,573 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thank you Apple and hackers for allowing us to see Jennifer Lawrence's vagina and cum-splattered face.

The Guardian is having a field day. Attention-grabbing news article and several columns. They'll get a good week's worth of moaning out of this.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 1 Sep 2014 10:45:04 32,215 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's really disturbing. I'll tell you what I'm not going to do now. I'm not going to google reverse image search that image to find the others, I'm certainly not going to find a site they were deleted from and look at it using google cache, and I'm definitely not keeping them saved for my special private time later.

I've never really understood celebrities risking that kind of thing being leaked by taking them in the first place. If you want to show that sort of stuff off, do it in person. I'm sure the recipient of that show will be appreciative.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 1 Sep 2014 10:55:10 47,495 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Eh, they'll be on one of the Reddit sub-reddits like /r/nsfw or something. They won't be difficult to find.

edit: Which is amusingly ironic for the reasons Chopsen gave.

Edited by MrTomFTW at 10:57:44 01-09-2014
  • Fake_Blood 1 Sep 2014 10:56:01 9,267 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey does anyone know what the russian word is for next page??
  • Trowel 1 Sep 2014 10:56:15 22,244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a link to "The Fappening" in the Pictures That Please You thread - I've not been to bed.
  • Tonka 1 Sep 2014 10:56:18 29,203 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Here's the thing.

Have you read the NDA of the photosharing/social apps on your phones?

Are you aware of what you are giving up access to? You grant access to every single photo on your phone. This is a necessity btw, most apps we use in our daily life wouldn't work without this permission.

So, imagine you are working at Twitter, WeChat, WhatsApp, Google, Apple Instagram, Facebook, SnapChat or what ever.

Imagine you have a crush on a celeb. Imagine She is using the app that your company is offering for "free"

Let's say you take a quick look at her photos and find a bunch of saucey ones. You share them with your best bro. He shares them with his dudes.

All of a sudden those pictures are in the hands of people who don't know where they originated from. Who won't have to face repercussions if they are leaked. Who might probably GAIN from sharing them (OMG dude you some mad hacker!")

We know for a fact that NSA agents used their intelligence for personal background checks on nannies and dates. We know companies love to hover up all data they can "Because you don't know what it might be used for"

so a very important question is what kalel asked

Do we know it's an iCloud hack.

I'm not saying it isn't btw. That is an extremely likely scenario. I'm just saying that this might not even be a criminal act. Jennifer Lawrence has OK an NDA she couldn't be bothered reading given a number of companies full access to her photos.
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2014 10:58:01 9,044 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Fappening: The Second Cumming is happening today.
  • Fab4 1 Sep 2014 10:58:13 8,797 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How bad are they? (I'm currently at work and won't be clicking on any dubious links...till I get home). Are they in the same vein as the Scarlett Johansson ones?
  • Deleted user 1 September 2014 11:00:25
    Tonka wrote:
    Here's the thing.

Have you read the NDA of the photosharing/social apps on your phones?

Are you aware of what you are giving up access to? You grant access to every single photo on your phone. This is a necessity btw, most apps we use in our daily life wouldn't work without this permission.

So, imagine you are working at Twitter, WeChat, WhatsApp, Google, Apple Instagram, Facebook, SnapChat or what ever.

Imagine you have a crush on a celeb. Imagine She is using the app that your company is offering for "free"

Let's say you take a quick look at her photos and find a bunch of saucey ones. You share them with your best bro. He shares them with his dudes.
    This is scaremongering bullshit. That is not the kind of access you allow with these kind of NDAs. When you work for these companies you don't just get to peruse everyone's photos at your leisure.
  • Cosquae 1 Sep 2014 11:02:43 1,372 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Fab4 Of a similar vein, only a bit more, and far higher in quantity and scope. In Kate Upton's case, a lot more explicit...
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.