iCloud: Are your personal pics safe? Page 2

• Fab4 1 Sep 2014 11:05:15 8,824 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel old, I had to google who kate Upton was.
  • mothercruncher 1 Sep 2014 11:05:20 16,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think so, at least on exception. I'm sure you've signed all sorts of things when working for one of these companies, but humans are imperfect, I'd put my left bollock on it happening occasionally.
    Everyone will need to hack me for the left bollock pic.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Sep 2014 11:05:46 26,739 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    #LeakForJLaw

Brilliant.
  • mothercruncher 1 Sep 2014 11:05:58 16,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    See: Deckard.
  • Rivuzu 1 Sep 2014 11:09:31 18,147 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally, a page 2. Clicked on this at work, scrolled down on page one and NOPENOPENOPE CLOSE BROWSER DELETE EVERYTHING BURN THE PC THROW IT IN THE HALDRON COLLIDER SUMMON A DEMON TO DEVOUR ITS SOUL AND TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO KILL ITS MOTHER BEFORE IT EVEN EXISTED.

Please add NSFW tags next time you pleb before slapping up skin pics (yes I know it wasn't a nude, but it's enough for most to get in trouble at their preferred forum perusing placement - aka, Work).
  • elstoof 1 Sep 2014 11:09:35 23,223 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Who saves pictures like that to the cloud anyway?
  • Deleted user 1 September 2014 11:09:40
    I don't believe it's the case that employees of companies like Apple or Facebook can just check out the photos of anyone they want.
  • PearOfAnguish 1 Sep 2014 11:10:29 7,573 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The hacker claims to have a load of videos too, some quite explicit.

Their agents and PR people are going to be earning their money over the next few weeks.

That Disney girl, Justice something, is an interesting one. She initially tried to claim they were fake, which clearly isn't the case, but there's one picture of her with a fat dude that's supposedly Dan Schneider (Ricky from Better Off Dead!) who is a producer on many Disney teen shows and has been named before as someone who likes to get a bit hands-on with his stars.
  • DarmokJalad 1 Sep 2014 11:12:11 63,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah the vids are very explicit, kate upton having all manner of sex with her partner.
  • Fab4 1 Sep 2014 11:12:16 8,824 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its getting like an episode of Ray Donovan.
  • Rivuzu 1 Sep 2014 11:13:04 18,147 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Disney Casting Couch experience, brought to you by The Saville Foundation
  • captbirdseye 1 Sep 2014 11:13:18 9,120 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure I wanna see JLaw getting sexy with Chris Martin,
  • Humperfunk 1 Sep 2014 11:13:34 7,994 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My girlfriend has just gone off to South Africa for five weeks, so I've been enjoying these photos if you know what I mean, WAHEY!
  • oceanmotion 1 Sep 2014 11:17:22 17,358 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't doubt some people have access and may look when shouldn't in some companies.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-engineer-stalked-teens-spied-on-chats-2010-9

It's no surprise that Google execs were skittish about discussing the case in detail. Site Reliability Engineers (or SREs) have access to the company's most sensitive data. Responsible for a variety of tasks including responding to technical difficulties across Google's ever-expanding portfolio of products, SREs are given unfettered access to users' accounts for the services they oversee, according to a former SRE who left the company in 2007.

"If you're an SRE, for instance, on Gmail, you will have access to mailboxes because you may have to look into the databases," the ex-Google engineer explained to us by phone. "You'll need access to the storage mechanisms," he explained, pointing out that in order to determine the cause of a technical issue with Gmail, an SRE might have to access emails stored on Google's servers to see if data is corrupted.

Barksdale's intrusion into Gmail and Gtalk accounts may have escaped notice, since SREs are responsible for troubleshooting issues on a constant basis, which means they access Google's servers remotely many times a day, often at odd hours. "I was looking at that stuff [information stored on Google's servers] every hour I was awake," says the former Google employee. And the company does not closely monitor SREs to detect improper access to customers' accounts because SREs are generally considered highly-experienced engineers who can be trusted, the former Google staffer said.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Sep 2014 11:18:07 26,739 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Yeah the vids are very explicit, kate upton having all manner of sex with her partner.
    Aren't most of them of girls he was cheating on her with?
  • neilka 1 Sep 2014 11:18:21 22,536 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BT have a cloud service don't they, user Deckard1?

If we wanted to I reckon we could have a Deidre Barlow leak on our hands by the end of the day.
  • Deleted user 1 September 2014 11:19:05
    Deckard1 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I don't believe it's the case that employees of companies like Apple or Facebook can just check out the photos of anyone they want.
    I'm sure they can't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get access to someones account pretty easily if they really wanted to.
    Perhaps, although it's a bit like suggesting employees of securities companies can just rifle through your safety deposit box if they really want to.
  • DarmokJalad 1 Sep 2014 11:22:42 63,695 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Oh is it? I didn't know.
  • oceanmotion 1 Sep 2014 11:23:25 17,358 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rivuzu wrote:
    The Disney Casting Couch experience, brought to you by The Saville Foundation
    As with the UK, government and police should ashamed of the stuff happening in the US.
  • sport 1 Sep 2014 11:26:07 14,998 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Any nude pics of Zoe Quinn flying around?
  • Tonka 1 Sep 2014 11:26:26 29,542 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Now you are being incredibly na´ve.
    What is more likely in your opinion
    A) Someone at snapchat checking out nude pics
    B) Edward Snowden
  • chopsen 1 Sep 2014 11:26:39 20,502 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    With facebook I imagine it would be straightforward because you've posted it online and you've surrendered copyright to the photos by the terms of the agreement re posting them there. Even if you set your security options to not allow strangers to see it, there is no point to point encryption I don't think.

Online storage things though are stored in an encrypted format, or at least iCloud is. I'd be astounded if the passwords aren't encrypted too.
  • TheSaint 1 Sep 2014 11:27:20 18,578 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thanks NSA all is forgiven.
  • Tonka 1 Sep 2014 11:32:06 29,542 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Of course this stuff happens outside the NSA.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.