Train Fever

First Previous
  • Deleted user 4 September 2014 10:11:36
    This game just released on Steam today Steam Store Page. Looks really promising, imo. Has anyone here played it? How does it compare to Transport Tycoon etc.?

/stealth I-am-a-massive-nerdy-trainspotter post
  • teamHAM 4 Sep 2014 10:25:53 3,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Funnily enough I'm also interested in this.

From the trailers it kind of looks like a lot of things Sim City was supposed to be. The citizens just build their own towns in this rather than zone R/C/I.

There also seems to be a lot more too it than just building trains and lines. I'd consider this game but I think getting Train Simulator or similar would be a step too far for me.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2014 10:27:48
    It looks great. Am definitely tempted.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2014 10:36:54
    Watched a couple of beta videos yesterday evening and am edging closer and closer to a purchase. It does seem to streamline the micromanagement, which could be a big plus. And you can zoom right in and 'travel' on any of the lines you've set up \o/ (my god, what is happening to me?)

Twenty quid for what looks like an interactive train set is peanuts, so I'll probably dive in this evening, but it will mean holding off on the Elite Dangerous beta purchase if I do that. Hmmm, decisions... decisions....
  • dsmx 4 Sep 2014 10:57:13 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's downloading right now for me it will finish in about 15 minutes, I'll post something about it sometime around lunch.
  • Deleted user 4 September 2014 13:21:40
    Great - look forward to hearing your impressions of the game.
  • dsmx 4 Sep 2014 14:19:12 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @tincanrocket The graphics are nice you can zoom right in and see people walking to and from their jobs and steam engines have smoke coming from the chimney and steam pouring from the sides as the chuff along your lines.

The interface is basic but serviceable however it lacks the refinements that openttd gets such as auto-replace. Also signals don't change as train go through which seems a bit weird since transport tycoon managed that back in 95.

To be honest I'm not sure what else to add, what you see is what you get. There's road, trams and trains and you build your network in a 3d procedurally generated world.

On balance openttd is probably a better game overall.

If you have a specific question I'll try and answer it but I've not played a great deal of it yet.

Edited by dsmx at 14:33:28 04-09-2014
  • Deleted user 4 September 2014 14:34:31
    dsmx wrote:
    steam engines have smoke coming from the chimney and steam pouring from the sides as the chuff along your lines.

...to be honest I'm not sure what else to add
    That's enough for me ;)

I do really like the look of this - it seems similar to Banished in feel and in terms of the more simple approach to these types of game, and I got my money's worth from Banished so am sure it will be the same with this.

The Developers seem very active, and the game is built to be modded, apparently, so these are big plus points for me too. Will probably take the plunge when I get home this evening, I reckon.

Thanks for your impressions, and hope you enjoy the game too!
  • teamHAM 4 Sep 2014 15:33:35 3,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I'm going to get this.
  • dsmx 4 Sep 2014 17:17:55 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Okay then after 5 hours or so playing I would say that the game is solid, fun and scratches the same itch as openttd does.

But openttd is the better game. The only thing this has over it is a 3d game engine and the freedom of construction that comes with that.

However that freedom comes at the cost of ease and clarity of track building, there are occasions which happen quite often where it simply won't build the track even though there's no clear reason why and demolishing track is a bit of pot luck because you have no say over how much you will have to destroy and it can destroy everything up to the previous junction. There's also no AI opponents and no online.

In the end when you get down to actually playing both games openttd pulls ahead with the building of lines being far easier with clearer explanations as to why you can't build something. A better interface with lots of things that make you life easier when playing and managing a large company with lots of routes, things like autorenewal and autoreplace being absent from train fever will make vehicle upgrades time consuming and irritating as you company gets bigger. Then you get to the newgrf files which allow you to completely overhaul the game with new industries, vehicles, towns, cargo destinations, etc. Then the final big thing, online multiplayer something which the game lacks and feels poorer for it.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying though, train fever is still a good game, it's just that openttd does the same things and the actual game part is far better with less irritations. However one thing I will say the track building in train fever requires you to plan ahead far more than openttd and if they can quash the occasions where it won't place track for no reason I will enjoy the challenge of construction far more in train fever as the track speed limits based on the curve make for some interesting design choices.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2014 12:28:47
    teamHAM wrote:
    I think I'm going to get this.
    I think I will too, but I have decided to wait for a bit (probably till the first discount), as it sounds from reviews/comments on Steam that it may be in need of a few patches.
  • teamHAM 5 Sep 2014 21:20:41 3,815 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah I've decided to wait a little after all. It got a mixed reception at best. While it looks pretty, it sounds like it could have done with another couple of months in beta, so I'm going to wait for a few patches and the Xmas steam sale or something.
  • Tiger_Walts 11 Mar 2015 12:02:15 16,674 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This had me playing until 4AM the other night. It's doing something right. The recent free DLC adds a USA theme with lots additional vehicles, which is what I'm playing. I find I have to turn the settings down because the game doesn't manage asset loading very well and scrolling across the map or even just turning the camera can cause huge stuttering. The lower texture quality setting isn't too bad and reduces the stuttering considerably.

Making a working rail network that doesn't jam up is always satisfying. Making those rail networks is also an exercise in frustration. The rules on what rails can and can't join aren't too clear at first and even when you learn them, every now and then the terrain or the rail curvature is just slightly off and blocks you from your intended rail placement.

In a short section of track where 2 tracks mesh, no other rail can mesh into, unless you'r creating points between 2 tracks that were laid parallel. You also cannot have 2 tracks cross each other but not connect. This means that merging 2 double-track lines requires a lot more space and more meshing rails than is necessary. It's all just so finicky.

Line and vehicle management seems incredibly similar to that of Cities in Motion. for plotting out routes, that's a good thing. I think vehicle replacement was added in a recent patch too.
  • dsmx 11 Mar 2015 15:46:52 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    On the subject of the map stuttering as you scroll about, when you start a level up scroll to each of the 4 corners of the map it should reduce it massively.
  • DarmokJalad 24 Apr 2019 21:39:02 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @dsmx I've sunk about 800 hours into transport fever.

Looks like it's getting a sequel!!!

• dsmx 24 Apr 2019 23:56:22 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DarmokJalad The issue with all these type of games is that they still haven't managed to be better than openttd. Graphically they are far superior but when it comes to gameplay, management, quality of life features, etc; openttd is far better, a game based on one made by Chris Sawyer that came out 24 years ago.

Edited by dsmx at 00:30:58 25-04-2019
  • Bee-Sharp 29 Apr 2019 13:13:32 1 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @dsmx I've played a decent amount of both OpenTTD and Transport Fever and I agree. OpenTTD has so many different production chains and possibilities. Transport Fever only has a few production chains, and most of them are quite long and complex so it takes a while before you can even afford to tackle them. When I started my first game on Transport Fever it was so slow at first because you start with so little money, but once you build up your economy it becomes much more interesting. Building efficient railway systems is a much more difficult task in TF compared to OpenTTD, in my opinion, but you also can't make it as complex as in OpenTTD since TF doesn't have a bunch of different signals and stuff.

What I like about TF and what has ultimately made me kind of prefer it over OpenTTD is that I really enjoy just watching stuff I build in any building and management game. Watching the highly detailed trains driving about is very satisfying to me, and I didn't get that with OpenTTD. But for people who are very focused on the pure planning, building and management aspect of these games and not the aesthetics, OpenTTD is probably better.

Excited to see how they've improved with Transport Fever 2.
  • DarmokJalad 29 Apr 2019 13:34:29 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I've been toying with the idea of picking up Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic. It seems to be a more complex TF with a bit of Tropico and City Skylines thrown in. But I'll probably wait until it comes out of early access.
  • dsmx 29 Apr 2019 13:35:20 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bee-Sharp Playing Transport Fever feels like playing the original transport tycoon with better graphics. It doesn't have any of the quality of life features that openttd features. Also the lag you get when building lines in transport fever is awful and nearly kills the game for me.

Or the stupidity of the vehicle list which makes it very difficult to compare different vehicles, last night I was playing it and I've put in a lot of vehicles from the UK but there's no way of sorting the list by power, top speed, torque, etc so I find it almost impossible to find the right vehicle for the job I want it for.

There's just lots of little things that Transport fever doesn't have, in the sequel at a minimum it needs to match the features in openttd. The devs should be saying every step of the way does this game at least match the management features of openttd?

I'm willing to overlook those omissions in the first game, the sequel I will not. If they want my purchase the game needs to basically be a 3D version of openttd.
  • Nasty 29 Apr 2019 15:44:05 4,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dsmx

Or others who've played openttd.

Have you ever got the hyper speed scrolling issue on Windows 10 and if you did, did you fix it? Driving my dad insane and I really don't want him back on Windows 7.
  • dsmx 29 Apr 2019 16:05:35 8,562 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nasty I've not heard of that issue. The only one I'm aware of was an issue in openttd where map scrolling was broken by an update to windows 10 but that got fixed ages ago in openttd.
  • Nasty 29 Apr 2019 20:01:41 4,833 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @dsmx

Cheers, I'll see if there's updates for it that we've not applied yet.
  • DarmokJalad 21 May 2019 23:22:30 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
  • DarmokJalad 15 Jun 2019 11:02:50 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Infrastructure

-Modular Stations
    -Traffic Lights
    -Roundabourts
    -One Way roads
  • DarmokJalad 9 Jul 2019 09:53:18 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    New features revealed at a press event

https://youtu.be/kVbSRH4KQHc
  • Razz 6 Nov 2019 13:14:03 696 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Release Date and trailer

https://youtu.be/HHji2C9thqw
  • Lukus 6 Nov 2019 13:18:46 23,122 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I FOUND RAZZ!
  • Razz 6 Nov 2019 13:48:37 696 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hahaha! * waves *
  • Lukus 6 Nov 2019 16:26:25 23,122 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hey! Where you been?! :D
  • DarmokJalad 11 Dec 2019 09:06:06 63,769 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's out! Transport Fever 2 has been released. And there was much rejoicing.

* Fan Fare *

Edited by DarmokJalad at 21:30:23 02-01-2020
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.