Train Fever Page 2

Next Last
  • Carlo 13 Dec 2019 18:14:46 21,206 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm thinking of buying TF2, but is it as complicated at the beginning as this video or does it ease you in a bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3zwILJiBL8

Edited by Carlo at 18:53:19 13-12-2019
  • rice_sandwich 13 Dec 2019 19:40:46 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Carlo

I haven't played TF2 but I have played the first game. It's of a medium complexity, particularly around moving resources all over the place. There's a lot of vehicle management involved. I can't say it was a bad game but it just didn't gel with me at all. It just seemed a bit too fussy for my liking and I did not enjoy the way it modelled certain parts of the economy. I think the main thing I wanted from it was trains and train lines but they took a long time to get going and become profitable.

I actually recommend Cities in Motion 1/2 from the latest humble bundle. They are much less complex games and let you set up nice little transport routes. As older games there are various UI issues and on the whole they are what I suppose I would call 'German' style simulation games, slightly opaque and not very user friendly at first. CIM is unforgiving in the beginning and it's very easy to paint yourself into a corner and run out of money. Luckily there's a sandbox mode to learn the ropes.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Dec 2019 19:45:50 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Carlo

Also, I think Mashinky looks very promising, though it's still in early access.
  • Carlo 13 Dec 2019 23:13:15 21,206 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Hmm... I might sleep on it. Thanks mate.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Dec 2019 23:36:58 6,426 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Carlo

If you don't like the simpler, general gameplay of Cities in Motion, which is only about building transport links, you may not enjoy TF as it has route building plus resource movement.
  • crashVoodoo 12 Jan 2020 15:50:20 6,661 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I picked up TF instead of jumping in on TF2 based on your suggestion, defo worth 3. Reckon I would've been happy with TF2 but I'll save that for later when it's cheaper.

I've done the tutorial and some campaign missions but when the reigns are off in free play is when it's most fun and also when you fuck up.

Thanks to dsmx and 3 trial runs I'm finally profitable. I've gone all passenger so far with my toy train set
  • dsmx 18 Mar 2020 11:17:16 8,562 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    After a few hundred hours in the game, I can say I do prefer it to the first game. It also runs better for me and the modding community seems to be getting up to speed now as new workshop items are appearing quite often now.

The second map I'm still on after giving the campaign a go is all going rather nicely and thanks to the updates to the game is still running smoothly...so long as I avoid 4x speed.

At this point I would recommend people pick up the game since the performance issues the game had as your network got bigger seem to of been fixed in the latest patch.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.