Following The Apple Watch

First Previous
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2014 12:08:17 31,378 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's pretty much confirmed that Apple will show of a device in the wearables segment and that it will probably be a smart watch.

Personally I'm not that keen on a "smart watch" since I'm perfectly happy with my dumbwatch. What I'd love to see is Apple make a screen free wearable device for the other wrist.

Anyways, Exciting times ahead!
  • DaM 8 Sep 2014 12:11:47 17,540 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'm really up for this, especially for sports/medical stuff. Incoming txts, important emails, intelligent alarms, bring it on!
  • uiruki 8 Sep 2014 12:12:03 5,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'd like something that can replace my Jawbone Up as activity tracker/alarm/etc on account of it being completely fucking useless and designed to last about nine months before breaking. I don't think having to trim the stretching rubber as it engulfs the button and charge port is something a working device should demand.

I don't have particularly large wrists though, so everything I've seen so far has been too big for me. I reckon it's still a couple of years before a properly good one appears - though one appearing tomorrow would certainly be nice!

Edited by uiruki at 12:13:20 08-09-2014
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2014 12:12:48 83,748 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The few people I know who have smart watches really like them as it reduces the time spent farting about on your phone.

My only problem, really is that I can't be doing with another device adding to my charging anxiety. I wear my watch 24/7, so docking it every night would be a right pain in the arse.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 12:12:56
    I'm interested, but dubious. Will definitely wait a gen or two.
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2014 12:14:27 83,748 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, same. They always take a couple of iterations to get their eye in.

Please feel free to quote that come Christmas time.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 12:15:38
    It will be at least a year before I stop judging everyone I see with one as a cunt.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2014 12:23:08 31,378 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Two things I'd like a wearable to do

1 Verify me on line, on my phone, on my desktop/laptop. So I enter a pin when I snap the lock shut and then when when I open my phone it's unlocked if my wearable is near by. Theis could then be used for logging onto websites etc. As soon as the wearable is unclasped the sign in is cancelled.

2 Be used as a transit card. I've lost my card enough times. Pain in the but. Should work for both single fare and month/year pass.

Then it would HAVE to have battery life that is counted in days not hours.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2014 12:24:41 32,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Moto 360 is really nice, only problem being that bit of dead space at bottom and needing to charge it daily (which I can't see going away anytime soon in this area).

I really like the idea of health tracking stuff, think I'm going to pick up a Jawbone Up24 or whatever at some point.

And yeah, any proper smart watch will be far better in a gen or two, that's probably when I'll pick one up.
  • oceanmotion 8 Sep 2014 12:25:31 17,358 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mate has one of these smart watches and he was changing the music tracks on his phone, very pleased with himself. Can you change the volume......no. Ha, piece of shit. Just teasing.

Still think it will be more fitness useful than checking Facebook, messages etc. How do you reply, talk to Siri like Michael from Knightrider?
  • mrpon 8 Sep 2014 12:27:13 36,579 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The few people I know who have smart watches really like them as it reduces the time spent farting about on your phone.

My only problem, really is that I can't be doing with another device adding to my charging anxiety. I wear my watch 24/7, so docking it every night would be a right pain in the arse.
    Qi charging could help here, I doubt they've been that intelligent though.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 12:28:46
    It needs to do a LOT of things that you couldn't do without one, not just be an extension of your phone on your wrist.

The biometric stuff is interesting.
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2014 12:28:50 83,748 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's actually quite unfortunate timing for me. My tag has started to self destruct so I'm in the market for a new watch to take the strain off it.

Thankfully, the inevitably stupid price tag should put me off for at least a few months.

That and the fact that they obsolete first gen stuff stupidly fast.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 12:30:03
    Surely you can just get your Tag serviced? Those things are supposed to do forever.
  • Khanivor 8 Sep 2014 12:33:02 44,689 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If it can run apps how long before iWank is available
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2014 12:35:40 32,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Qi charging could help here, I doubt they've been that intelligent though.
    The Moto 360 charges by Qi, would be surprised if iWatch doesn't.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2014 12:38:38 31,378 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    How do you reply, talk to Siri like Michael from Knightrider?
    That's how the Android Wear ones do it.

And another big minus for us non native speakers. Plus I still think people talking with headsets in public look weird. Voice coms are a few gens away.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2014 12:39:39 31,378 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Since Tim Cook has publicly ridiculed wireless charging I think that would be a fantastic announcement for Apple to make.
  • Khanivor 8 Sep 2014 12:40:10 44,689 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Come on. We all know you will get one then bitch about it incessantly.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2014 12:42:09 32,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Since Tim Cook has publicly ridiculed wireless charging I think that would be a fantastic announcement for Apple to make.
    Oh has he? Any reason why?
  • billythekid 8 Sep 2014 12:42:20 12,570 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hope it beeps/vibrates when you go a certain distance from your phone to help stop loss or theft.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Sep 2014 12:42:36 6,208 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

I've got the LG G Watch and I'm already very reliant on it. It really puts a stop to that itch to check your phone, and sorting out your notifications, sending texts and emails, navigating, controlling music without touching your phone is easy and satisfying.

It definitely feels like an alpha device though, the functionality is really basic and clunky. It takes some getting used to the fact that it isn't your phone, and you can't really do a whole lot with it, it's more a case of responding to things, but the number of apps is expanding pretty quickly.

But yes, charging it every night is pain in the arse.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2014 12:44:05
    It's hard to see how something like this could be thin/slim, but I would love it if Apple could solve that one. I am at the very least expecting them to come up with something that looks desirable.

I think that's what's most interesting about it at this point. We haven't had a new piece of Apple design since the ipad, so that's quite exciting at least.
  • nickthegun 8 Sep 2014 12:44:32 83,748 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Surely you can just get your Tag serviced? Those things are supposed to do forever.
    It has a rubberised trim around the case which is starting to perish. They don't do the trim as a replaceable item, so it would need an entirely new case. I got a quote which is getting on for the price of a new one.
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2014 12:45:34 31,378 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz it still required a cable ... Yeah I know.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2014 12:45:46 32,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @HarryPalmer How do you text/email on it? Is it fiddly typing on such a small screen or do you manage ok?
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Sep 2014 12:47:24 32,585 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Tonka :D Excellent Apple logic!
  • HarryPalmer 8 Sep 2014 12:48:18 6,208 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz - you don't type, there is no keyboard - it's all voice input. In public this just isn't practical (although tbf the voice recognition is excellent, and you can whisper!), but I've found it very handy for sending out emails and messages whilst driving.

There are apparently keyboard apps in the pipeline, and I imagine Swype will appear at some point.
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.