Following The Apple Watch Page 60

• Tonka 2 Nov 2016 10:06:20 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A colleague bought the poor mans series 2.
    Now everyone can see he's a fanboy so he's well pleased. If too much time passes (basically all the time) btween him getting recognition for it he will make Mickey Mouse squeek the time.

It's seems like a waste of money to be honest. Not just the iWatch but the entire smart watch thing in general. I guess that if you're into fitness you could get a fitness tracker and that could in turn be an iWatch so there's that.

It's definitely a solution in search of a problem right now.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2016 10:56:00
    If you're into fitness you probably buy a Polar or Garmin watch with a real heart rate strap, which doesn't need charging every day
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Nov 2016 11:05:41 40,174 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @PES_Fanboy Garmin are absolutely terrible. The Vivofit 3 simply does not work, and the tech support is non existent. You can take the money it costs and burn it, that's the same effect.

Never again.
  • Deleted user 2 November 2016 11:12:30
    Hmm, I've always had nothing but joy from my Garmin GPS tri watch but it isn't anything fancy. It has been through a LOT, too
  • elstoof 2 Nov 2016 11:30:10 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never had any issues with any garmin I've owned. I don't doubt that there are lots of people that do though, I think they just knock out a few lemons from time to time but they're good for exchanges as far as I'm aware.

The problem with Apple watches that will never go away though, is it's a watch that won't ever appeal to people who like watches.
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2016 13:34:44 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The problem with Apple watches that will never go away though, is it's a watch that won't ever appeal to people who like watches.
    True. But I think Apple handled that situation as well as they could. They made a bunch of people who never cared about watches say shit like "Horology" and "Complication" when referring to the iWatch.

Apple convinced them that they cared about watches and that the iWatch was a perfectly legitimate buy for a horologist. They also managed to make ppl with iWAtches feel as if it wasn't some dorky geek accessory for their phone.

I can't but applaud that. (applauding hands emoji)
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2016 13:54:16 83,748 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think any of that is true. I think most people who bought them knew it was a pointless geek accessory and I would be very surprised if any of them gave even a tiny shit about horology.
  • Zomoniac 2 Nov 2016 13:54:17 10,350 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I don't like watches, and would never have a Garmin for the same reason; they're almost all massive. I'm sure some of those Omega and Breitling things are wonderful examples of master craftsmanship, but I don't want something that size on my wrist. I also hate the feel of chain link straps, which drastically reduces my options.

So for me it's a watch that appeals precisely because I don't like watches.
  • ISmoke 2 Nov 2016 14:00:07 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As someone who doesn't go running and or swimming frequently. Do I really need a series 2 over the series 1?

Or is the bright screen really worth it?
  • Ziz0u 2 Nov 2016 14:02:03 11,006 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    what do u spend ur moneys on bob
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2016 14:03:14 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    When the first iWatch was launched there was plenty of fawning about the horology. I never even heard the word before. Then it was everywhere. Along with "Switzerland is Fucked" and high fiving when Rolex did a bad year

https://techcrunch.com/2015/03/09/the-apple-watch-enters-the-world-of-haute-horology/
  • elstoof 2 Nov 2016 14:05:19 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Some Omegas are are good examples of craftsmanship, Breitlings not so much. The trend for the past decade has been for large watches but that's starting to revert back to smaller dials again now, thankfully. Like you, I prefer smaller watches and leather straps - thankfully there's a whole load of options available.

But I digress, the point is that you're in the minority and a watch aimed at non-watch people is about as much use as a Top Gear branded bicycle
  • elstoof 2 Nov 2016 14:05:51 26,254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    Never been a watch person never understood people who spend hundreds on them.
    What about the people who spend thousands on them
  • Deleted user 2 November 2016 14:07:47
    They're awesome
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2016 14:16:43 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ISmoke get the cheapo version with S2 innards in a starter pack body.

Best "value" you can get. Also, but the small one since you won't be using any apps there's no point in shelling out for a slightly larger screen
  • ISmoke 2 Nov 2016 14:39:44 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka - i felt the smaller one looked a bit silly on my wrist. Also it's not much bigger but texts were easier to read.

Do you have one?
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2016 14:44:37 83,748 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's not great advice. If you are going to get one, get the big one.
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2016 14:46:55 26,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The big one was too massive for me. I don't have girly wrists, but the small one was fine for me. It's going to vary from person to person.
  • billythekid 2 Nov 2016 14:48:37 12,570 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    100% go for the big one.
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2016 14:50:24 83,748 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Too massive taste wise or functionally too massive?

The small one just looks, well, too small on every dude I've seen with one on.
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2016 14:51:28 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ISmoke only played with one at work from time to time. But my colleague got the small one (s2 in non waterproof body) and it looks good size wise.

Bit thick maybe but otherwise fine.

I'm suggesting you get the cheapest one possible because i don't think you'll get much use of it.

Again, judging from my colleagues with smart watches.
  • Phattso 2 Nov 2016 14:53:32 26,294 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Too massive taste wise or functionally too massive?

The small one just looks, well, too small on every dude I've seen with one on.
    Taste wise. I'm not one for big watches anyway, and my personal take is that the larger one looks ridiculous. It looks too big on every dude I've seen one on. ;)

Just taste innit, which is why I suggest it could vary from bod to bod.

Not that I wear mine anywhere anyways, mind you. Perhaps I'm too ashamed. The Chinese woman who sold it to me asked why I was buying the female version. :)
  • ISmoke 2 Nov 2016 14:54:46 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka - Ah ok! Thanks for the advice. I think I will go for the 42mm S1 now. I can happily impulse buy at 300 than 400!
  • Tonka 2 Nov 2016 19:03:39 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ISmoke I think an when better idea would be to get the air pods instead (unless you've already ordered them). They look like a much more interesting product in every way.
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2016 19:13:28 83,748 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I honestly think they look like the first genuinely bad product they have made in a while, especially if they haven't overhauled the sound quality.
  • mrpon 2 Nov 2016 19:32:28 36,579 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thinking of buying a cock ring nick. Any tips?
  • Deleted user 2 November 2016 19:34:31
    Get a size smaller than you think
  • ISmoke 3 Nov 2016 08:39:36 1,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Tonka - I do hope that is a bad joke. The wired ones already have awful sound quality I dread to think how bad the wireless ones are. And then there is the 'LOL' price they attached to them.

Think I'll stick to my Sennheisers lol
  • Tonka 3 Nov 2016 09:22:50 31,377 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ISmoke Hmmmm... I thought they had gotten favorable reviews so far. There's also the whole "Her" take on the future of Apple HCI where I don't see the Smart Watch playing an important role anymore.

But seeing as you have a set of "cans" with a nice name I assume sound quality is more important than being able to bark commands at Siri without holding your phone/watch.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.