Display Area Setting and HUD positioning in PS4 games

  • Darren 11 Sep 2014 08:40:31 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry for starting a thread on this topic but I figured that if I'd posted it in the PlayStation 4 thread that my post would have quickly got lost and it is something that I want to hear views on from others.

    Basically, the PS4 has a Display Area Setting under Settings > Screen and Sound that allows you to supposedly adjust the position of on-screen HUD to match the corners of your HDTV. By default, on my Sony Bravia TV the four white arrow markers were not touching the corners of my screen so one of the first things I did when I got my PS4 was to change that setting so it was.

    MLB 14: The Show came out and, if you've played the PS3 version, then you will know that this is the only game I'm aware of that loads by default with a black border around it and you are required to go into the game options to stretch the image horizontally and vertically to get the game running fullscreen. Why that is, I do not know, but apparently the PS4 version is the same if you leave the Display Area Setting as it is. To fix it, you have to adjust the setting to match the corners of the screen, exit the game or restart the PS4 and when the game loads up it is fullscreen.

    Now that is odd because the setting is only supposed to adjust the position of the HUD not rescale the image. It also raises the question of whether the game is native 1080p with the default Display Area Setting or the adjusted one. Anyway, I left the setting as it was and never noticed any real oddities except that Diablo III's HUD elements were very close to the edges of the screen. Sure enough, when I changed the Display Area Setting then the HUD moved inward accordingly. I believe the game is still running at native 1080p though.

    Now yesterday I downloaded the FIFA 15 demo and noticed straight away that the Barclays Premier League scoreboard and timer in the top left and the EA Sports HD Live logo in the top right were touching the corners of my TV, as were the two HUDs at the bottom. When I adjusted the Display Area Setting to its original setting then all the elements appear indented, identical to how they look on the PC and Xbox One (I have played both those demos too).

    So my question to others is this: which is the correct Display Area Setting to use? In Diablo III and FIFA 15 setting the Display Area to match the corners of your HDTV results in the HUD elements being too close to the edges of the screen. However, in MLB 14: The Show unless you set the Display Area to the edges of the screen then the game itself does not run fullscreen but will have a black 'picture frame' border around it! Then there's the question of whether the actual game is still running at native 1080p when this setting is adjusted.

    Here are two screenshots I took from the FIFA 15 demo to show what I mean:



    The above image is with the Display Area set to the corners of my TV...notice the positioning of the four HUD elements...



    This image is with the Display Area as it is by default. The position of the HUD is identical to how they appear in the PC and Xbox One versions. (Note: the camera angles are different between the shots so ignore that.)

    So if the PC and Xbox One versions have their HUDs offset into the screen then that seems to suggest to me that that is how the game is meant to look. However, unless I change that setting to match the corners of my TV then MLB 14: The Show runs with a largish black border around it!!!

    What setting is everyone else using? Do you have the Display Area set to the corners of your TV or have you left it as it is?

    Note: My TV is set to Full Pixel by the way so there is no overscan when displaying 1080p games.
  • Benno 11 Sep 2014 08:53:23 11,715 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I never even knew such a setting existed! It often annoys me how much HUD elements tend to creep into the centre of the screen, I'll check this out.
  • Ron_Justice 11 Sep 2014 09:06:44 3,165 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Fifa demo looks like your first image, but I don't recall ever having set the Display Area in the PS4's system settings.

    Also, while I think of it, I've had to adjust many a games Display Area upon initial set up / install. The latest of which was Destiny. If I'd done it at system level, shouldn't it be standard across all games, otherwise what's the point?
  • lordofdeadside 11 Sep 2014 09:09:58 1,338 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, the second one looks correct, the HUD on fifa should be inset. No idea what's going on with MLB though.

    I just leave it default and only adjust if a game has it as part of initial setup.
  • Darren 11 Sep 2014 10:19:25 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    lordofdeadside wrote:
    Yep, the second one looks correct, the HUD on fifa should be inset. No idea what's going on with MLB though.

    I just leave it default and only adjust if a game has it as part of initial setup.
    That's the annoying thing though...the Display Area Setting is meant only for repositioning the HUD to fit your TV, presumably to compensate for overscan if you have that enabled (you should NEVER have overscan on a 1080p TV if you are playing 1080p games).

    However, in MLB: The Show the developers are using this same setting not to reposition the HUD but actually stretch the screen so that it does not have a black border. I'm curious as to whether the fullscreen version is actually 1080p, i.e. the game is still 1:1 pixel mapped but you see more of the screen, or if it is the same image but stretched. Apparently, many of the YouTube videos of the game show borders but that may be because those people have not changed the Display Area setting.

    I think I am going to contact Sony about this as I believe the setting should only be used for repositioning the HUD and ALL games should still be fullscreen 1080p regardless. MLB: The Show is the exception to this because if you do NOT change the Display Area then the game is effectively bordered, just like it was on the PS3 though that game had an in-game option to resize the width and height of the screen to get rid of the black border.

    Edited by Darren at 08:29:49 10-10-2014
  • Deleted user 11 September 2014 17:13:43
    I've the display arrows (from the global system settings) in the corner of the screen and set the TV to 1:1 pixel mapping (I think it's called JustScan on my Samsung) - never had a need to resize it on any game, the HUD elements are always where I like them (slightly inset as per the second Fifa pic).

    I think MLB (which I've never played) is just a bit of an oddball in this regard for whatever strange reason.
  • Malek86 11 Sep 2014 18:31:44 7,666 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have a similar issue with Resogun. If I set the arrows to the corners of my screen, the game will actually be zoomed in. If I set it to the minimum, I see a bigger area. I'll leave it this way.

    I'd need a game with 1080p and no AA at all to understand whether it makes a difference in the actual resolution, though.

    Edited by Malek86 at 18:35:31 11-09-2014
  • Darren 12 Sep 2014 11:52:46 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been taking some screenshots with the Display Area Setting expanded and reduced (as it is by default) and I've discovered two interesting things:

    1. MLB 14: The Show is NOT a 1080p game! By default, if you leave the Display Area Setting as it is (i.e. don't expand it) then the game runs with a bloody huge black border around it.

    Here are some images I've taken (the first is with the Display Area Setting on normal and the second is with it expanded to the corners of my TV (you can right-click on an image and select View Image to see it full size by the way):

    Title Screen





    Main Menu





    Gameplay





    You can clearly see on the title screen and main menu screenshots the second image is just a stretched version of the first and that there is no extra artwork visible. The Display Area Setting is meant only as a way to reposition the HUD but in this game it is used to stretched the image to fullscreen.

    It would have been interesting to have an analysis of this from Digital Foundry but, of course, they do not cover US sports games (even though this game was released in the UK digitally...I bought my disc copy from GameSeek).
  • Darren 12 Sep 2014 12:02:59 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    2. The Display Area Setting in the FIFA 15 demo not only repositions the HUD elements as you'd expect but also INCREASES THE SIZE of them as well!!!

    Gameplay





    Notice how much larger the two bottom HUDs are with the player names in the second image with the Display Area Setting expanded to the corners compared with the first, which is on the default non-expanded setting!

    Why the game does that is a mystery...it should only move it outwards. I suspect the size increase is the reason the HUD is touching the very edges of the screen...had they been left at the original size then there would have been a small gap separating them from the corners of the screen.

    Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Richard Leadbetter/Digital Foundry as I personally think this is worth investigating as the setting may be faulty. I haven't noticed any oddities with only games but that doesn't mean there aren't any as someone mentioned Resogun above.

    My own conclusion on this is that the Display Area Setting should be left as it is and when I want to play MLB 14: The Show then I will have to manually adjust it then reset it once I exit the game. A little cumbersome, I agree, and definitely not how this setting is intended to work IMO.

    Comments?
  • Darren 12 Sep 2014 12:04:42 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    P.S. The PC and Xbox One versions of FIFA 15 have HUDs in the same place as the top image in the post directly above so it does appear that is the intended positioning.
  • monkeyspasm 12 Sep 2014 12:19:27 2,957 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    2. The Display Area Setting in the FIFA 15 demo not only repositions the HUD elements as you'd expect but also INCREASES THE SIZE of them as well!!!

    Gameplay





    Notice how much larger the two bottom HUDs are with the player names in the second image with the Display Area Setting expanded to the corners compared with the first, which is on the default non-expanded setting!

    Why the game does that is a mystery...it should only move it outwards. I suspect the size increase is the reason the HUD is touching the very edges of the screen...had they been left at the original size then there would have been a small gap separating them from the corners of the screen.

    Comments?
    The second image is stretched - the image has expanded outwards, that's why the elements are bigger. Everything is bigger obviously, not just the HUD elements.

    As far as I'm aware that setting does the opposite of what you seem to think it does - it rescales the images, it doesn't just move HUD elements.

    The first image is how it should look - you're seeing the whole image.

    Leave it on defaults, it's MLB that's the issue, not FIFA.

    A quick Google says it could be TV settings unrelated to overscan too.

    Edited by monkeyspasm at 12:30:11 12-09-2014
  • Darren 12 Sep 2014 12:29:03 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @monkeyspasm - If you look at the pitch markings and the stadium then you can see that they are the same in both screenshots...or at least they look the same to me as they have the same geometry at the left and right edges, plus the players look the same size in both (the camera angle is obviously identical).
  • monkeyspasm 12 Sep 2014 12:34:26 2,957 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hmm, not sure then, hard to tell on that image tbh, there's not a huge difference.

    If it's only MLB though surely the issue is with that. The inset FIFA image is definitely how it should look.

    Can you not just leave the PS4's display settings on default and change MLB in-game?

    Edited by monkeyspasm at 12:40:48 12-09-2014
  • Darren 12 Sep 2014 14:33:26 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    monkeyspasm wrote:
    Hmm, not sure then, hard to tell on that image tbh, there's not a huge difference.
    Right-click on the screenshot and select View Image to see it fullsize 1920x1080.

    If it's only MLB though surely the issue is with that. The inset FIFA image is definitely how it should look.

    Can you not just leave the PS4's display settings on default and change MLB in-game?
    Well, yes, I can do that since it is only one game that doesn't run fullscreen. MLB 14: The Show has no option in-game to adjust the screen size unfortunately, like the PS3 versions, otherwise I would have used that and left the Display Area Setting alone. Having to change a setting just to play one game is annoying though; maybe Sony can change that so you can apply it on a per-game basis?

    Why MLB: The Show runs in a black bordered window, I do know, but it's something I'd like to hear Digital Foundry's thoughts on as IMO this game is almost certainly not a 1080p game as advertised. Reeks of laziness really as the PS3 version was like that too.
  • Eraysor 14 Sep 2014 15:48:37 231 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    First time I have ever noticed this was playing on the PS4 FIFA demo today.
  • alexvosghanian 23 Sep 2014 15:24:11 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Darren 26 Sep 2014 15:08:58 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Has anyone been able to confirm whether the PS4 release version of FIFA 15 is still affected by this bizarre bug? I should have my copy today from Amazon so I will be able to check this out tonight (hopefully).
  • xoiben 26 Sep 2014 19:38:06 1 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It is not MLB 14 that is doing it wrong. It is FIFA 15 and Resogun (if true, I have not tried Resogun myself yet). You can confirm that because of the text in the actual Display Area Settings. It says "Applications will be displayed in the boxed area" and that it is only effective in some applications, as in MLB 14, obviously.
    Or think about it the other way. The setting only makes sense for TVs that have forced overscan, for what ever reason. Why would you ever want to upscale the image even further? It makes no sense at all.

    So in my understanding, you should always set it to a full blue area with the corners still visible. If a game than upscales too much, the guys behind that game got that setting wrong and should not have used it, as most games don't use it.

    To all developers, show me black borders like in MLB 14, if it is not set to fullscreen or don't use it at all, please...

    Edited by xoiben at 19:51:28 26-09-2014
  • demumood 28 Sep 2014 20:41:53 1 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Darren wrote:
    Has anyone been able to confirm whether the PS4 release version of FIFA 15 is still affected by this bizarre bug? I should have my copy today from Amazon so I will be able to check this out tonight (hopefully).
    hey I resolved the fifa 15 HUD issue,

    go to ps4 settings -> sound and screen -> display area setting,

    and you will only need to move this an inch or so within your screen and the image will be fixed, it does not seem to affect other applications (since it only moved the screen an inch) and it fixes the issue with all other games that have this problems..

    hope this helps

    Edited by mahmouddemumoodaudu at 21:02:25 28-09-2014
  • Darren 10 Oct 2014 08:35:43 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I will have to check that demumood.

    Another game, Driveclub, seems to be misusing the Display Area setting as well as with the setting left at its default the game loads up with a big black border around it like MLB 14: The Show.

    IMO, the developers should be using an in-game setting that is independent of the global Display Area Setting because that means I either have to put up with borders in two of my games and a HUD repositioned too close to the edge of the screen in all other games (plus a stretched one in FIFA 15) or adjust the Display Area Setting depending on which game I'm playing, which is not what that setting is meant for.

    I don't have all this messing around with screen sizes and HUD positioning on my PC, Wii U or Xbox One so why is it necessary on the PS4? :rolleyes:
  • Darren 13 Oct 2014 14:03:48 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Does anyone, a moderator perhaps, know how to contact Digital Foundry or Richard Leadbetter directly please?

    I wanted to ask them a question about the PS4's Display Area Setting, in particular the reason why only two PS4 games so far (Driveclub and MLB 14: The Show) run with a black border around them if you don't adjust that setting to the edges of your TV screen (a 1080p TV, I might add, that is already at fullscreen 1:1 pixel mapping with NO overscan).

    Thanks.
  • Deleted user 13 October 2014 14:47:26
    Eh?

    I've a 1:1 display, Driveclub is running with no borders.

    The gamma on the Evolution and Drivelub splash screens are all kinds of wrong though (not that that matters, in game looks fine).

    Edit - just re-read your post about setting the display to the corners. I have to ask, is that not where you should put them? Aside from the Fifa demo, (which is a minor thing), I've never had an issue with where any game displays.

    Edited by FuzzyDuck at 14:49:55 13-10-2014
  • Deleted user 13 October 2014 14:50:22
    Darren wrote:
    I will have to check that demumood.

    Another game, Driveclub, seems to be misusing the Display Area setting as well as with the setting left at its default the game loads up with a big black border around it like MLB 14: The Show.

    IMO, the developers should be using an in-game setting that is independent of the global Display Area Setting because that means I either have to put up with borders in two of my games and a HUD repositioned too close to the edge of the screen in all other games (plus a stretched one in FIFA 15) or adjust the Display Area Setting depending on which game I'm playing, which is not what that setting is meant for.

    I don't have all this messing around with screen sizes and HUD positioning on my PC, Wii U or Xbox One so why is it necessary on the PS4? :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with the HUD being close to the edge of the screen?
  • Darren 13 Oct 2014 15:51:42 9,552 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    woodnotes wrote:
    Darren wrote:
    I will have to check that demumood.

    Another game, Driveclub, seems to be misusing the Display Area setting as well as with the setting left at its default the game loads up with a big black border around it like MLB 14: The Show.

    IMO, the developers should be using an in-game setting that is independent of the global Display Area Setting because that means I either have to put up with borders in two of my games and a HUD repositioned too close to the edge of the screen in all other games (plus a stretched one in FIFA 15) or adjust the Display Area Setting depending on which game I'm playing, which is not what that setting is meant for.

    I don't have all this messing around with screen sizes and HUD positioning on my PC, Wii U or Xbox One so why is it necessary on the PS4? :rolleyes:
    What's wrong with the HUD being close to the edge of the screen?
    Absolutely nothing; that's not my issue. The issue is that Evolution and the creators of MLB The Show appear to misusing that setting in order to 'stretch' their games to fullscreen for some weird reason when all other games are fullscreen regardless of the Display Area Setting.

    I've emailed Digital Foundry just now, with a link to this thread, so hopefully I will hear something back.
  • Sniper_007 16 Oct 2014 11:38:49 110 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Darren They have a fairly active twitter feed and this type of question sounds right up their street?

    Either that or use the Contact us link at the bottom of the site?
  • neilka 16 Oct 2014 11:55:03 22,077 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Why do you say that "the setting is only supposed to adjust the position of the HUD not rescale the image"? The description of the Display Area Settings in the manual is:

    You can adjust the display area of the game screen to match the TV screen.
    So Driveclub and MLB are correct not to render beyond the edges of that area as you would never see it if you have the display area matching your screen. Other developers might be okay with rendering outside the visible area as long as the HUD is inside it, but that's up to them.
  • andijames 16 Oct 2014 12:29:33 2,890 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think this is a bug 'per se' i think its more likely that specific developers are using the values provided by the display area mapping to adjust their display accordingly whilst everyone else is just outputting to the fixed resolution that the PS4 is set to output at. It is a bit of an oversight as it will cause inconsistency but technically both approaches are correct.
  • omcyril 11 Dec 2014 17:14:58 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bump.

    woodnotes wrote:What's wrong with the HUD being close to the edge of the screen?
    In fact, in FIFA it can be a problem: when the scoreboard is close to the edge on the top-left of the screen, in some games (because the scoreboard skin change depending on the league you are playing, England, Italy, etc.) the additionnal time is cropped, or you can't see when a team received a red card (which is normally displayed right on the top of the team name, above the scoreboard) because it's out of the screen.

    I had no problem before, until I noticed black borders on Little Big Planet 3 (and I am not the only one: example), so I adjusted the Display Area Setting (DAS) to fit my screen. LBP 3 seems to be in the same bag with MLB 14 and DriveClub.

    And now, with the DAS adjusted to my screen, the FIFA 15 HUD is too close to the edges of the screen, as described above, which is not supposed to be.

    I have tried several games: Destiny, Killzone, Far Cry and The Last of Us Remastered, and no one is affected by the DAS. However, the GTA V HUD is affected and is closer to the edges of the screen when the DAS is set to fit the screen, but not too close like in FIFA, so it's not a problem in GTA.

    I am not sure which game developer is doing it right or wrong (my guess is that FIFA is doing it wrong, because the most "normal" and "natural" setting is to set your DAS to fit your screen), but this is pretty annoying.

    Edited by omcyril at 17:16:05 11-12-2014
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.