• quadfather 27 Aug 2018 08:34:11 34,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @the_milkybar_kid

Nicely done, that man :)
  • DUFFMAN5 31 Aug 2018 19:19:26 24,620 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just completed what I assume is the final story quest in FW dlc, still have a good amount to do. I have the game up for trade so not overly concerned if I miss a few sides, data files, flowers etc.

What I can say is much like the original game the dlc is wonderful. Such a brilliant world, one of the most atmospheric of the open worlds I have played in.
    Just so bloody good, as a dyed in the wool Xboxer, this sort of game is the reason I will always have a Sony say next to the Xboxes.
  • Ror 31 Aug 2018 19:53:46 18,559 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh yeah, I finished the main game yesterday, good stuff! I got the shield weave armour a couple of main quests from the end, which made them a bit trivial, but that was fine with me. Finished up with ~56 hours on the clock, at level 44. I'll get around to the DLC at some point, and I'll be there day one for a sequel.

Really liked the bit where Aloy found Sobeck's resting place.
  • breakablepants 26 Nov 2018 15:03:05 1,044 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I just finished the DLC after getting it for a bargain price. 100% worth it; it's a great addition to the story and actually fleshes out more of the back-story and sets things up for Horizon 2.

The snowy landscapes are brilliant, a real contrast. Not a huge amount of new beasties, but can't grumble when I've still had a good 20-30 hours of play for about £7!
  • The_Goon 16 Dec 2018 00:55:43 1,297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just started this yesterday. I think Iím getting old. Finding it pretty solid even on normal. It feels a bit less scripted than other games Iíve played previously. Where Uncharted would leave tall grass right next to enemiesí paths, you have to engineer a kill in HZD it feels like. Liking it in any case. A bit more serious than I would have liked but not sure why I would have expected anything else! Not everything is Uncharted.
  • The_Goon 18 Dec 2018 14:10:11 1,297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why are all the robots so aggressive?! Playing along nicely, minding my own business, running to catch an evil scrapper that has stolen (not really) some man's spear from his late wife or some such shit, and a fucking horse charges me and kicks me to kingdom come. His/her whole herd died for his/her sins.

Otherwise enjoying this. While it seemed pretty solid earlier on, it appears to have become much easier as I've levelled up a bit. Hopefully not too easy as I progress.

Also, fast travel - where do I get the blasted pack? Why do they make this a pain in the arse? It's a QoL feature - just give it to me dammit.
  • breakablepants 18 Dec 2018 15:56:01 1,044 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @The_Goon IIRC you just need to buy the fast travel backpack from one of the merchants - I don't think it's linked to the skill tree?

I guess the robots are aggressive as the game is trying to get you to play with a degree of stealth, and it's a good habit to get into as they get bigger and nastier! But yeah, I know what you mean about wandering into herds of docile robots that then turn nasty ;-)

I get the sense you are quite early on in the game, so I am guessing you've not unlocked the power to override robots that you sneak up on. That's a really handy skill as you can override one beast in a herd and it'll fight everything for you for as long as it's standing.

You need to find places on the map called Cauldrons, which are mini-adventures of their own. Don't go into them under-levelled :-)
  • quadfather 18 Dec 2018 16:15:51 34,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah what breakablepants says basically.

The fast pack is something you can craft. Check your crafting menu - you'll see what you need (it's only a couple of things) and then go get them. You'll end up with quite a few in your inventory after a while and it won't be an issue.

Haha, I like the aggressive encounter. It's like that sometimes. You can be weaving about managing the situation and then all of a sudden fucking chaos breaks out. I love it.

You have *got* to get the override skill. It can turn the tide of any battle.

Also, in your skill.tree there's a skill later on called tinker - that is definitely worth getting so you can custom equip your equipment with better mods as you find them.

And yes, go visit a cauldron. Good luck :)
  • Ror 18 Dec 2018 16:18:38 18,559 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The aggressiveness of the machines is a part of the story, as well as a gameplay conceit.

Also, you need to craft the fast travel packs.
  • Bambot 18 Dec 2018 20:32:56 1,378 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Does the DLC add any decent story? I loved the story in the main game but by the end I had no real urge for DLC, I was done and satisfied. But now, after the abject disappointment of RDR2 being the most boring, cynical, nasty, unpleasant, tedious 'game' I've literally *ever* played, I long for more of the actual FUN that I had with Horizon.

So, yeah, DLC story any good?
  • quadfather 18 Dec 2018 20:46:01 34,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Bambot

I'm only about an hour in, and it's mainly related to the new people you meet. But it's dropping hints already about the large story, so take that how you want really
  • JoelStinty 30 Jan 2019 10:13:49 7,925 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Im about 35 hours in, and i'm finding it ok. I think the battles are probably its strongest element. I fought a higher level Thunderjaw last night and it was epic. But the rest of the game leaves me a little cold. There isn't much variety in and i found the last 5-10 hours a bit hard going. As its highs though, and it is a good foundation for further titles (if the story allows it too).

Edited by JoelStinty at 10:14:16 30-01-2019
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jan 2019 10:22:49 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just started this, played the prologue pretty much, it looks stunning but I hope it improves as so far it's boring and very Ubisoft by the numbers, early days of course.
  • Gibroon 30 Jan 2019 10:41:39 2,134 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

Some of the acting and scripts of side missions are bit dull tbh. I would suggest removing most if not all of HUD, maybe a couple of bits to dynamic. You will find it more immersive that way and less Ubisoft.

The landscape and dinobots are the best part. I had it on hard difficulty which is more of a challenge but not too frustrating. Such a stunning game and one I'd love to play again on a pro and HDR TV.
  • breakablepants 30 Jan 2019 13:41:06 1,044 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good point about the HUD, and I also played it on Hard and found it about the right level of challenge.

It absolutely gets better as you play. I found that the progression was generally pretty good in terms of developing and then using new skills, but having said that, the game doesn't overly signpost to you things that you *could* do to level up.

One example is places called 'Cauldrons', which are both important to the story arc, and also allow certain skills to be unlocked. They are not triggered as part of the story, so some players do seem to leave them to last - when in fact they can really help open the game up from quite early on.

It's a fantastic looking game. Lots of people talk about the landscapes in RDR, but I think Horizon is still the best looking PS4 game to date.
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Jan 2019 13:54:15 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers.
    Any tips/advice on the skill tree/fun ways of playing?
  • Gibroon 2 Feb 2019 19:47:17 2,134 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

It depends on your play style really. What I would say though is don't expect to find weapons. As far I can remember you pretty much buy every weapon from a vendor so look out for better weapons there.
  • richyroo 3 Feb 2019 00:46:30 367 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Enjoy the story and read and listen to the data logs when you get them. The story is surprisingly one of the games strong points.

Change the HUD to dynamic for the most immersive experience while still displaying essential info so you don't get lost etc. The game will just hide elements as you don't need them which is nice.

Edited by richyroo at 00:48:48 03-02-2019
  • garsync 3 Feb 2019 09:21:55 167 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Use all the weapons, mix up your play styles! Traps too, expecially for the bosses
  • Armoured_Bear 3 Feb 2019 10:19:42 26,890 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers guys
  • up_the_ante 3 Feb 2019 11:28:36 1,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím a few hours in and thereís too much talking. Every 5 minutes Iím getting someoneís life story. Go away - I donít give a shit!
  • ChiefGB 3 Feb 2019 11:45:13 10,841 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought this was massively overhyped on release and didnít really get on with it all that well. I think Iíll dig it back out today.
  • Gibroon 3 Feb 2019 12:08:39 2,134 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @up_the_ante

The first few hours can feel a bit like that. It's one of the reasons I give up constantly on Witcher 3. It's just so bloated even though it has better acting and script. My gaming time is limited, the Witcher 3 is like an audio book but with pictures and key prompts.
  • quadfather 3 Feb 2019 12:10:41 34,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Cheers guys
    There's a skill called tinker on the right hand side of the skill tree. It lets you swap out mods to weapons and armour that you've already placed. Without the skill you can't reuse old mods. You want that skill.

Lure is a good skill too if you want to play sneaky sneaky

Any skill that helps 'override' is essential in my opinion, but bear in mind my character was heavily into overriding.
  • richyroo 3 Feb 2019 12:18:20 367 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @up_the_ante The game really opens up and properly starts when you have completed the Proven, which is roughly 5-6 hours into the game.

Then you will have a lot more time to explore and play in the vast open world outside the walls of the starting area.
  • ChiefGB 3 Feb 2019 14:20:31 10,841 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Itís a vast open world but I found it very narrow, for example it will only let you go to certain places thereís massive monuments and stuff but you can only go where the yellow handles are itís faux open world I found.
  • quadfather 3 Feb 2019 14:33:39 34,586 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same as tomb raider in that regard.

But you have more open space to tackle stuff which encourages thoughtful tactics and can mean other denizens can join in if they see it which is always hilarious
  • ChiefGB 4 Feb 2019 18:53:35 10,841 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, it may have taken over 2 years but I think this is starting to click. One dumb thing though is that unless you talk to the merchant in meridian than the purple weapons are not unlocked. Been hobbling around with crap weapons for far too long which was painful in the extreme.

Edited by ChiefGB at 18:54:01 04-02-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.