Following Horizon: Zero Dawn Page 126

• Nanocrystal 18 Apr 2020 22:46:12 2,400 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm currently replaying this on ultra-hard mode, and going through the DLC for the first time (which is great). The story telling really is superb, the main quests and the revelations they provide are so well paced and the little audio and text logs pack an emotional weight. The audio design is also exceptional, with distant explosions and mechanical noises giving a real sense of impending dread. An utterly absorbing game and one of this gen's very best.
  • davidfowles 19 Apr 2020 18:56:32 438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I also got really pulled in to the storytelling. The overarching mystery was extraordinarily well done. A sequel would be unlikely to pull off anything remotely similar.
  • ChiefGB 19 Apr 2020 19:08:38 13,644 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dunno, itís a bit of a weird game, I never really gelled with anyone outside of alloy and her story, all the other tribe nonsense just didnít do much for me, and I found the open world a bit restrictive, with repetitive combat. Iíve tried to get into it proper a few times and in fairness the last time I played it I was getting there. It could be a decent lockdown game though I guess (Iím finding days gone is hitting the sweet spot atm).

Think Iíve talked myself into popping this back in rotation.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Apr 2020 21:33:34 30,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    I also got really pulled in to the storytelling. The overarching mystery was extraordinarily well done. A sequel would be unlikely to pull off anything remotely similar.
    Aye, agree, hoping for a miracle though.
    Got a Switch yet?
  • davidfowles 19 Apr 2020 23:40:12 438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    davidfowles wrote:
    Aye, agree, hoping for a miracle though.
    Got a Switch yet?
    They sold out everywhere but I bought a new PS4 Pro, which is much quieter than my previous one. Much cheaper to get the PS4 anyway, given the huge unfinished digital library I already have.
  • DFawkes 4 Aug 2020 15:15:35 32,752 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just got the platinum for this, after having bounced off it hard in 2017 when I was also playing Breath of the Wild. For the first 10 hours I just didn't "get" it. I liked it fine but felt roughly the same way EG did in their review, so it got put on the shelf.

I just got a 4K TV and wanted to play something pretty so went back to this :p It really is so much better than I remember! Not even all that sure why I didn't click with it last time as it's a fantastic game. A gorgeous world that's as big as it needs to be, a story that really drew me in, and really great combat that gives you so many options. Terrifyingly large robo-dinos are now glorified PiŮatas.

I was getting a little concerned nearer the end that the story would leave too much open for the inevitable sequel, but I felt satisfied they had wrapped up Aloy's story, whilst giving plenty of scope for the sequel (which I'm in for day one now). As much as I enjoyed it, I'll probably give the game a rest for now but I'm glad there's DLC there if I feel like I'm not done. It really is a wonderful game.
  • Switch-v85 4 Aug 2020 15:34:56 4,274 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really need to find the time to play it properly. I actually enjoyed the first 10 hours but then played Breath of the Wild and never really got into it again.

I really loved the combat against the dinobots but seem to remember the human combat being a bit shit.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2020 15:37:30
    There were hill fort, settlement type areas that you had to clear out, which were full of human characters.

The game seemed to encourage stealth for these bits, but it was poorly done (as all stealth sections are).

Just ends up in a mass brawl from what I remember.

Thankfully you can skip most of them, but some are story dependent IIRC.

Out on PC on Friday. Definitely going to play through 1 more time.
  • Alastair 5 Nov 2020 15:06:36 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I just started this last night.
    Played through the first tutorial sections. I am now '2 days before the Nora Brave trial'.
    I like it so far...
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2020 17:50:50 30,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I just started this last night.
    Played through the first tutorial sections. I am now '2 days before the Nora Brave trial'.
    I like it so far...
    It just gets better as the story is gradually uncovered...
  • PazJohnMitch 5 Nov 2020 17:54:09 16,901 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I really need to get around to the DLC.
  • Alastair 5 Nov 2020 18:55:38 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Those first scanning moments totally reminded me of Metroid Prime.
  • Alastair 5 Nov 2020 18:55:58 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I picked it up, with all the DLC for £16 :)
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Nov 2020 20:36:14 30,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Those first scanning moments totally reminded me of Metroid Prime.
    The GOAT
  • Alastair 9 Nov 2020 17:54:16 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Still enjoying it.
    I finished the revenge of the war chief quest last night - infiltrate the enemy camp, blow up the blaze cannisters and then fight the final battle.
    Got pwned in the final battle multiple times..
    Not sure if it was my tactics, weak armour or weak weapons.
    Seems I need to get into the habit of running about A LOT MORE...

Tried to fight some Fire Bellowbacks out in the wilds and failed hard.

Loving the whistle and then silent strike combo on the smaller machines.
  • LoneWolf80 9 Nov 2020 21:59:50 192 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chosen as my first furlough game.
  • Decks 9 Nov 2020 22:02:29 29,707 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'll be interested to see if they get up up to 60fps on the PS5. Might help with some of the clunkiness.
  • Phattso 9 Nov 2020 22:08:48 27,072 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Clunkiness? Iím not a huge fan of the game, but my memory is of really impressively stable performance throughout.
  • davidfowles 10 Nov 2020 05:57:26 438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I played it on both PS5s and thought it was a technological powerhouse.

But I hope it gets some PS5 bellwhistles too as an excuse to play again ahead of part two next year.
  • Alastair 19 Dec 2020 01:52:07 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Finished it.
    Loved it.

Great story.
  • SnackPlissken 19 Dec 2020 09:18:48 3,149 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thereís me thinking someone has bumped this for a 60fps update!
  • Tomo 19 Dec 2020 11:50:13 19,291 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Finished it.
    Loved it.

Great story.
    Gah. I've avoided this out of openworld fatigue. But it really sounds like a good one, and a decent story is something that really helps carry me through open world games. Don't care for endless fetch quests. Maybe I'll grab a PS4 copy for a fiver and stow it away for next year.
  • Alastair 19 Dec 2020 14:25:12 24,755 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It has its fair share of fetch quests and the usual open world crap.
    BUT, this feels like it's the first game where I've ever given a shit about the story.
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2020 14:28:44 38,623 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    BUT, this feels like it's the first game where I've ever given a shit about the story.
    Agreed. It's not for everyone, but if the story/setting clicks, it's bloody great
  • Deleted user 19 December 2020 14:38:47
    The world is so bloomin' amazing to move through it makes going from A to B a joy. Alloy being a likeable character does it no harm either (contrast with Deacon from Days Gone cursing like a pirate the entire time).

Flippin' marvelous looking game to have come out on the PS4 3.5 years ago too.
  • RyanDS 19 Dec 2020 19:27:45 13,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    Agreed. It's not for everyone, but if the story/setting clicks, it's bloody great
    Agreed as well. First open world game i genuinely can remember where I HAD to get all audio logs etc not for ocd but as I was genuinely fascinated by the story and excited to see what was happening.
  • Gibroon 19 Dec 2020 20:25:32 2,542 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought it was a really good game. Some of the dialogue and voice acting in the side quests wasn't great but the sounds and visuals of the Dino-bots scrapping away after you hack one is a joy.
  • davidfowles 19 Dec 2020 23:40:37 438 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has to be in my top five games this generation, maybe number two after Witcher 3.
  • DUFFMAN5 20 Dec 2020 06:31:06 26,649 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Love this, so happy the sequel in going to be on ps (what?) Four. I'm not sure when I'm getting the ps5.
    Trying to think which ps exclusive I have enjoyed more...?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.