The Big Entertainment Backlog Thread

• Deleted user 23 October 2014 15:19:15
    I have a backlog, not just of games but all entertainment related items: books, films, comics, games, tv series, board games and probably a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember right now. This thread is my attempt to tackle it and bring some order to the chaos of too much and never ending choice.

Every month I'm going to nominate a few things that I want to clear from the backlog, amongst the categories of:

Reading
    Watching
    Playing
    Listening

I don't necessarily have to finish the item in question but I do have to give it a fair go. I'm going to try to pick things that I really want to play/watch/read and not just any old random thing. If I fail to achieve the goal I'll either give the item away (where possible) or donate money to charity. My picks for November are:

Read: Cerebus Book 1
    Watch: Ghost in The Shell 2nd Gig
    Play: Hyrule Warriors
    Listen: Brueckners 9th Symphony

Join in if you like, playing by whatever rules suit you, based on the stuff you'd really enjoy getting through.
  • Deleted user 23 October 2014 15:25:08
    I hardly listen to any music actually and it was my most recent music purchase. I do like to cook listening to classic fm, though.
  • Dolly 23 Oct 2014 19:29:21 3,528 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Stealth 'I can cook too, ladies!' post
  • thedaveeyres 23 Oct 2014 19:31:40 13,907 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Radio 3 or GTFO.

(Great idea by the way)
  • Deleted user 27 October 2014 07:20:15
    I suppose the official start of the challenge should be 1st November but I got a head start by reading the first third of Cerebus book 1. There's a history to this. I started reading the comic some time in the mid 90s, a bit before internet was really common and it wasn't that easy to get hold of particular volumes. I also didn't have that much money at the time and the collected volumes were kind of expensive. The comic was also still being published, so I had the idea that I'd wait until I had collected the whole series and then wade through it all. I bought the final volume about 4 years ago and have never managed to make a proper start on reading through. I guess the point of all that is to illustrate how a backlog can easily build up. Anyway, started now!

I might include another challenge category along the lines of Learning/Projects, whose purpose will be to do something/restart projects that I've dropped in the past, or it might just be to do a thing that I've been thinking of doing but haven't managed to just yet. Plenty of scope to sneak in mini achievements.
  • Deleted user 3 November 2014 07:19:58
    So it's November and I'm officially into the challenge. I'm on course to finish Cerebus v1 in the next couple of days, and have watched the first few episodes of Ghost In The Shell. It's annoying that the characters are somewhat off model compared to season 1.

As for listening, nothing. I am just not in the habit of listening to music or listening to podcasts. I probably see it as something for the background whilst doing something else.

No progress on Hyrule Warriors yet. I should get to play it once or twice this week. As for the 'projects' challenge I'm aiming to get back into Spanish learning. No specific target, just getting back into learning mode would be good.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2014 19:49:57
    A quick update. I think I'm going to 'officially' start the challenge on 1st January and will treat November and December as warm up months, just to see how much backlog stuff I can realistically catch up on and also to think more about my motivation for doing so.

Progress:

Read: Cerebus Book 1 (done)

Watch: Ghost in The Shell 2nd Gig (about half way through)

Play: Hyrule Warriors (haven't touched it yet!)

Listen: Brueckners 9th Symphony (listened to some of it)

As I said before, for each challenge that I fail, I'll either give away the item in question and/or make a donation of 5.00 to charity for each read/watch/listen/failed.

As luck would have it, user kentmonkey had the excellent idea over in the 'donate your unwanted stuff - in memoriam' thread of raising money for The Children's Trustvia:

https://www.justgiving.com/egdonateagame2015

So that will be the charity for this challenge.

Edited by zoolophage at 19:59:38 16-11-2014
  • Syrette 16 Nov 2014 20:00:13 50,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Good luck!
  • Deleted user 16 November 2014 20:02:44
    I'll need it!
  • Deleted user 30 November 2014 21:26:04
    So November's challenge is over. Mixed results:

Progress:

Read: Cerebus Book 1 (done) = SUCCESS

Watch: Ghost in The Shell 2nd Gig (about 80% through) = FAIL

Play: Hyrule Warriors = FAIL

Listen: Brueckners 9th Symphony = SUCCESS

So a mixed month. Despite playing Hyrule Warriors I can't in good conscience call it a pass as I didn't make anywhere near the progress I wanted to or put enough time into it. Decided to drop the listen category and replace it with something else.

I need to think bigger. If it's to be a challenge it needs to be 'go big or go home' type stuff.

December's Target:

Read: Cerebus Books 2/3/4

Watch: Finish last few episodes of GITS and watch all of The Ascent of Man

Play: Put a decent amount of time into Fallen Enchantress - Legendary Heroes. It's new to me and I'm keen to play it.

Other: Run 12 times in December. Not really an 'entertainment' thing as such but a goal nonetheless.

Edited by zoolophage at 21:27:03 30-11-2014
  • Syrette 30 Nov 2014 21:28:21 50,411 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Might want to keep your Christmas list light...

;)
  • Deleted user 30 November 2014 21:30:07
    I'm stopping pretty early for Christmas so should get through a bunch of stuff (in theory) :)
  • Deleted user 30 November 2014 21:51:24
    Books pretty much up to date as I read a lot.

Games and films immense backlog.
  • Humperfunk 30 Nov 2014 22:15:18 8,027 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My game backlog is bad enough, let alone my reading and film ones :(
  • Deleted user 1 December 2014 06:05:04
    @Humperfunk

So why not join in the challenge come January. Start 2015 with noble intentions to get through at least some of the things that you're most interested in. Or you could just keep adding to those lovely backlog piles :)
  • Humperfunk 1 Dec 2014 11:56:49 8,027 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I shall indeed be doing that :) (both trying to work through it and adding to it)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.