Dragon Age: Inquisition Page 140

• simpleexplodingmaybe 7 Dec 2018 20:38:42 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had a spin attack and a giant hammer and just spun and spun through every encounter and never lost a fight
  • Ror 7 Dec 2018 21:37:45 18,559 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And in the game?
  • Mola_Ram 8 Dec 2018 01:40:40 20,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought it was fine, even on Hard (except for the bloody catapults in the Haven siege). It's not the greatest combat system, but there's a bit of depth there.

One thing I really missed was the tactical mode from the first Dragon Age. Yes, I know it's sort of there in Inquisition, but it doesn't feel nearly as functional. I guess I just want them to go back to isometric Baldur's Gate-style combat.
  • ChiefGB 8 Dec 2018 11:11:47 10,841 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve kept meaning to go back to this. Bought and played at launch, got some way through I think thereís a big party Iíve either got to do or had recently gone to? and then dropped it. Rebought the complete edition a few years ago and still not unwrapped the fucker thanks to my crazy backlog. Getting a bit of an itch now though, hows it aged?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Dec 2018 11:32:45 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Part of me is tempted to revisit it and only play the story and companion quests. There's probably a solid 20-30 hour game lost in the 60+ hour grind and busy work.

I imagine that the compromises they made to make it playable on 360/PS3 as well as Xbone and PS4 will have it feeling more awkwardly dated than it should for such a recent release.

I do wish there had been more tactical stuff to do on the war room map.
  • Cappy 8 Dec 2018 13:32:50 14,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Iíve kept meaning to go back to this. Bought and played at launch, got some way through I think thereís a big party Iíve either got to do or had recently gone to? and then dropped it. Rebought the complete edition a few years ago and still not unwrapped the fucker thanks to my crazy backlog. Getting a bit of an itch now though, hows it aged?
    The art direction was never much good to start with so the lack of 'new shiny' probably hurts it more than a lot of RPGs that are considerably older. Sometimes it looks good, sometimes ugly. Character designs are really hurt by the dumb looking, improbable costumes and weird character models. Frostbite does quite an atmospheric looking desert, though the lack of touches like footprints is noticeable. The Hinterlands look really poor in contrast. Trees are hard for Mr. Frostbite, he prefers sparse and empty.

The level design is some of the worst I've seen. The Hinterlands are like some randomly generated generic highland landscape with no sense of form or place. The is a game that really needed a compass because post battle, after you're done running around in circles you can't tell where you came from or where you're going... So you've got to go into the sluggish menu system and check the map to find your party icon and determine which way you are currently facing.

Writing, characters and World building: Sub par. It just loves to dump endless paragraphs of text on you, rather than create a living World that just shows you. I like reading but I'm not going to stop every other minute to read text about people I don't know or care about.

Art direction: It's an ugly, uncanny valley nightmare, glossed with vaseline.

The battle system: Really bad. There's no sense that you're actually doing anything at all or any choice counts. There's more strategy in the 80s Gauntlet arcade game. If there was a default auto-battle option, maybe you could catch up on all the 'lore' reading homework the game gives you to do in the exploring phase.

Inquisition is dumbed down to an incredible degree. Do we still call things casual? This is an RPG for people with teeny, tiny little brains who don't like to think about things or be frustrated.

I'm just glad I never played Dragon Age 2, it can get worse than this? What do they do? Come around your house to jeer and fling poop nuggets in your face whilst you play?
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Dec 2018 13:43:31 10,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also, the game kills babies.
  • ChiefGB 8 Dec 2018 14:01:38 10,841 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Also, the game kills babies.
    Best keep that wrapper on it then lol. I have earlier pulled it from my pile of shame. Maybe I should just incinerate it at this point.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Dec 2018 14:23:03 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've probably made this exact defence in this thread multiple times but I'll stand up for Dragon Age 2

Sure the stylised artwork doesn't look very good (and is incredibly jarring when Hawk cameos in Inquisition) and there are only three dungeons copy and pasted for every single quest and whole thing is clearly unfinished and rushed

BUT

the way that rather than building a single Big Bad as an overarching villain and instead approaching things episodically around the family's trials and tribulations over the years with multiple plot strands seeded amongst the day to day of their mercenary existence was actually quite innovative. Plus it lead to a much more satisfying conclusion than DA:I and (narratively for me at least) DA: O as various plots strands and characters were drawn together in a big season finale type ending.

I don't know if that narrative trick is by design or stems from the necessity of it being such a rushed job of a game but I think its really interesting and enjoyed it a lot. If they'd had time to build the environments to go with it it could have been a really special little game.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 14:23:14 08-12-2018
  • Ror 8 Dec 2018 16:06:43 18,559 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I do wonder whether DA2 would be a lot more well-regarded if it was called Dragon Age: Something Else rather than Dragon Age II. I really liked what they tried to do with focusing on a single character over a period of years - my only real complaints were the aforementioned reusable dungeons and the waves of enemies that'd drop over a wall when you thought you'd finished a fight.

Also, there's a massive hint as to Flemeth's identity right near the start of the game that is kind of mental in hindsight.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Dec 2018 16:32:14 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    2 was the best one.
    Yes mate (y)
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Dec 2018 18:45:26 10,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    2 was the best one.
    I...just...wait...how...what?

No.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Dec 2018 21:09:22 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Another in the plus column for 2

It wears its influences most lightly - Origins and Inquisition both have bits I can remember thinking "thats just X scene from Y film/show" and I don't remember that happening with 2
  • ChiefGB 8 Dec 2018 21:27:40 10,841 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ďENCHANTMEMTĒ
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 8 Dec 2018 23:28:44 10,572 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EN-CHANT-MENT
  • Cappy 2 Jan 2019 17:44:35 14,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well, it's possible that Bioware are not long for this World with everything being pinned on Anthem as the make or break title, which people seem rather uninterested in...

I'm okay with that, everything comes to an end. You have a game with as many rough edges and bugs as Inqusition and when they're importing Morrigan's character model they actually put time into reducing her bust size over things like bug fixing or improving the inventory system.

We can't have any content that appeals to heterosexuals now can we? Inquisition certainly kept me occupied, with busywork, but was short on meaningful content. You won't be missed Bioware.
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Jan 2019 18:02:55 10,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't that rant 3-4 years late?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jan 2019 18:03:31 5,971 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Are Bioware being shut down or something then? Or was this just an unprompted rant? To be clear, I don't particularly disagree with it, but it feels and odd thing to wake up a dormant thread for without some new spur.
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Jan 2019 18:04:41 10,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Were the tits better in the 2nd game? I don't remember.
  • JamboWayOh 2 Jan 2019 18:05:51 13,615 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is Cappy saying he wish BioWare would give him NPCs to wank over?
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Jan 2019 18:18:51 10,905 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually did reinstall this when this thread was last bumped as I'd not played the dlc, but I didn't last long.

Man, the combat is utter arse.
  • Cappy 2 Jan 2019 18:20:34 14,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Are Bioware being shut down or something then? Or was this just an unprompted rant? To be clear, I don't particularly disagree with it, but it feels and odd thing to wake up a dormant thread for without some new spur.
    Well, they already struck out with Andromeda and it's now all hands on deck with Anthem, we know what EA are like, fail more than once and you are on borrowed time.

*edit*

Not exactly waking a dormant thread the last post was in December, Inquisition is what I was playing, unfortunately. I'm glad to be leaving this pile of 'progressive' crap behind.

Edited by Cappy at 18:25:39 02-01-2019
  • THFourteen 2 Jan 2019 18:22:25 52,209 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Eee Eh?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.