Yeah, but it just felt so repetitive.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 2 Jan 2019 18:30:26 32,256 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    But what about mages rights?
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Jan 2019 18:50:16 10,908 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even the promise of hot gay dragon sex couldn't keep me playing.
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jan 2019 23:33:00 20,403 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not a terrible game, but it feels old-fashioned now and not in a good way. A game like The Witcher 3 was just such a huge leap forward for the genre in terms of world-building and character, to the point that everything else feels kind of dated.

But yeah, it totally would have been better if all the female characters still had giant boobs. As a heterosexual male, that's the only thing that gets me going. :rolleyes:
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Jan 2019 07:18:47 10,908 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Being able to take clothes off and increase breast size are usually the things that get modded into these games anyway. On PC at least.

FAUX OUTRAGE
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2019 09:14:48 5,975 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I found DA:I an odd one. I did a pretty completionist playthrough when it launched and, while I did get a bit tired of some of the busywork, I mostly enjoyed the game. The writing was a bit juvenile in places (too many of the major characters tended to sound more like earnest modern-day undergraduates than grizzled fantasy/medieval veterans), but there were some epic moments like the optional dragon fights to make up for it.

Then a few months later, I played Witcher 3, which thoroughly moved the goal posts in terms of both technology and writing. When I tried going back to DA:I for the DLCs, I found it almost unplayable after Witcher 3.

In hindsight, even though I enjoyed DA:I at the time, it looks a lot like a stepping stone towards the inevitable train-wreck that was Mass Effect: Andromeda, with its creaking technology, endlessly padded side-content and cringe-worthy, naval-gazing writing.
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Jan 2019 09:18:46 10,908 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did you manage to get through the DLC? I think the prospect of a new Dragon Age as well as this thread bump prompted picking the game up again, but I just can't muster any enthusiasm to play it.

Edited by challenge_hanukkah at 09:44:46 03-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2019 09:24:46 5,975 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah No. Managed about two hours before dropping it. Everything just felt so clunky after Witcher 3.
  • ChiefGB 3 Jan 2019 10:57:14 10,842 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As mentioned, I have the goty ready to go of this and itís been in my pile for a few years now. I played a fair chunk of the main game back in the day then picked up a cheap goty at good value. Arguably not so good value if Iíve never played it ☺️
  • hedben2013 3 Jan 2019 12:16:27 1,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I fell off the original DA:o hard, something about the combat didn't click. Enjoyed and completed DA:o 2 (which I understand is a cardinal sin and not the right way round at all), and have had this on my pile of shame for over a year since picking it up on sale. Sure I'll get round to it eventually, the Witcher 3 comparisons don't scare me as much as they should because, much as I enjoyed it, I also fell off Witcher 3 because the combat never quite clicked. If Inquisition has decent combat I can see it being a decent second-game to chip away at.
  • hedben2013 3 Jan 2019 12:16:58 1,105 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This isn't the first time I've fallen victim to those smilies in this thread, and it won't be the last
  • challenge_hanukkah 3 Jan 2019 12:39:42 10,908 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    the DLC was good.
    How was the hot gay dragon sex?
  • Dombat 3 Jan 2019 15:09:38 1,585 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I binned this off officially when I traded it in a couple of months back. Didn't like the combat and I'm just not that invested in the world to endure the grind.

Gutted I didn't get round to playing it before The Witcher 3 existed. I think my experience of the whole DA series was dampened by me playing each of the games too late (although Origins still holds up in many ways).

Edited by Dombat at 15:11:39 03-01-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2019 15:31:17 5,975 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dombat Of the three, I think Origins holds up best from a gameplay perspective. There was a nicely tactical edge to the combat on the higher difficulties, with roles/specs and positioning really mattering. That was almost entirely absent from 2 and made only a limited return in Inquisition. It also benefited from decent area-design, without the copy-paste of 2 or the padded sprawl of Inquisition.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.