What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 67

• the_dudefather 8 Jan 2018 09:29:12 10,804 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started Yakuza 5 last night, took me most of last year to get through 4 (it became a nice relaxing Sunday night game)

Think I'm going to take my time with this one too, but liking it so far, the opening chapter is mostly just doing some errands and going on a night out with Kazuma's boss who's a bit of a roaster

This is the last game I have in my PS3 backlog, just have to hope my decade plus old BC PS3 can survive until the end (not that there's been any problems so far)
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jan 2018 11:47:37 23,011 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Due to my on going apathy with gaming I can't get into anything or stick with anything, so in mainly messing about with:
    Gears 3,4 koth.
    Watch Dogs complete on xbox (I loved and rinsed the standard edition on Ps4 a long while ago)
    Sniper Elite 4, just bought the season pass, so starting to work through that.
  • onestepfromlost 8 Jan 2018 15:08:56 2,710 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    After watching the EG gang beasts video i convinved a few mates to pick it up played 6 player nonsense for about 3 hours. Cant remember the last time i have laughed so much playing a game. several points were some of us were in tears with laughter. Sure it probably wont have a huge shelf life, but its hysterical for now.
  • Deleted user 9 January 2018 11:09:41
    Skyrim (PC). Third play through.

Spent a bit more time modding before cracking on with the main quest line.
  • gooner77 9 Jan 2018 11:21:23 1,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mopping up AC Syndicate having finished Origins recently. Next up is Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • TitanWarlord93 9 Jan 2018 12:47:24 259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    AC Origins. Still grinding and completing objectives but I think I'm nearly finished. This is the longest AC game ever played and not for one second got bored of it. Bought it since day one.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Jan 2018 12:54:04 10,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Can't stop playing Destiny. Why now of all things!? Not even D2. D1 dammit...
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2018 12:55:49 7,027 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That would be great for that 10 games challenge.

I still go back to D1 occasionally. The Nightfall is a lot easier to solo, since you don't get a hard time limit, and there's no COE in D2. I also don't really like the way bounties work in D2.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:56:29 09-01-2018
  • wuntyphyve 9 Jan 2018 13:01:59 10,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've got D2 but only just started looking at it. Ended up joining a very active D1 clan so hopefully will finally be able to do the two raids I never finished, already done HM Crota for the first time ever. I shudder to think of the hours sunk into it over the last two or three weeks but I'm loving it more than ever.
  • ghearoid 9 Jan 2018 13:56:39 2,986 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Although I "finished" the main story and final boss last week, I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, completing all the side quests and blade quests. Just two rare blades left to collect. :)

I'm usually done with jrpgs once the main story is over, but this has been such fun to play, I don't want it to end.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 Jan 2018 14:01:59 2,720 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Although I "finished" the main story and final boss last week, I'm still playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, completing all the side quests and blade quests. Just two rare blades left to collect. :)

I'm usually done with jrpgs once the main story is over, but this has been such fun to play, I don't want it to end.
    I havenít taken it out of the machine yet but I really need to as I have disagea staring at me.
  • GarlVinland 9 Jan 2018 14:03:00 3,190 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing God of War 3 in dribs and drabs again as prep for 4, whenever it arrives. It's clunky as hell. Hard to believe this came out after Bayonetta, yet at the time this might have been the more acclaimed game. It plays like a PS2 title at best. I guess people just really enjoyed stoving in heads.
  • Switch024 9 Jan 2018 14:07:38 2,636 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Keep enjoying D1, you're not missing much with D2 at the moment. All the raids in the original game are better than what D2 has and it's well worth taking the time to experience them all.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Jan 2018 14:59:14 10,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Switch024 What exactly are the issues with D2? With what I've played so far (very little), it doesn't seem like THAT much has changed... Just wondering how they managed to stuff it all up so badly! But yes, still loving D1. I'm amazed at how much content there still seems to be after all this time. I never thought for one moment I would end up this hooked after chucking it twice over the years.
  • Switch024 9 Jan 2018 15:35:54 2,636 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @wuntyphyve There's a number of issues but I find the main problem is it feels unrewarding. The exotic stuff comes too easily and none of it feels particularly powerful. You can casually play the game and get everything easily, it ends up leaving you with no reason and no desire to play as there is no loot worth getting.

It's a problem that extends to the raid, the gear is no better than other stuff that you can get for much less effort. There's also an absolutely awful token reward system which takes all the fun out of getting random drops.

It's a great game for the first 40 hours or so and then it seems to drop off incredibly quickly.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2018 15:41:54 7,027 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @Switch024 What exactly are the issues with D2? With what I've played so far (very little), it doesn't seem like THAT much has changed... Just wondering how they managed to stuff it all up so badly! But yes, still loving D1. I'm amazed at how much content there still seems to be after all this time. I never thought for one moment I would end up this hooked after chucking it twice over the years.
    It's not exactly terrible, but once you get to the endgame, you'll see that somehow they managed to take away most of the reasons to actually keep playing. Or at least, they made it so that you don't need/feel like playing more than 2-3 hours per week.

Just off the top of my head:

- since you can only get better items than the gear you have by playing weekly activities (those 2-3 hours I mentioned), everything else feels unrewarding.
    - they removed all vendor ranks, replacing them with an un-ranked token system. But as I said above, all you can get from them is gear worse than what you have. And since there isn't even a rank you can increase, it just feels like there's no point at all.
    - Strikes are often worse than the ones in D1, they somehow feel like they come straight from Dark Below, when they decided that throwing more waves of enemies at you was a great idea. Heroic Strikes have been introduced, but they still lack modifiers.
    - Nightfall is near impossible to solo (since this time you will be kicked back to orbit when the timer runs out), and trivial with a fireteam (it's just a slightly harder strike with no real modifiers, and you don't even get sent back to a checkpoint if every team member dies - that's right, no darkness zones in the Nightfall)
    - with the changes to the weapon system, and much longer refresh times for abilities, PvP now feels a bit more generic. I actually think that's not bad, since I usually got my butt destroyed in D1 PvP, but most people tend to prefer the old system.
    - remember how gear perks actually made a difference in D1? Not so much here. Even if I can stack together 3x melee recharge perks, it still feels like it's recharging at the same rate as before. Exotic weapons also don't seem all that much better than legendary weapons.
    - bounties are planet-specific (so you can't just go wherever you want for them), and patrols often ask you to keep to a specific area, so you can't even just go around at random while playing them.

As a whole though, the token system is the biggest problem. Everything gives you tokens to spend to planet vendors, but since there's nothing good you can get from them, everything is pointless.

On a side note, Nightfall seems to have been effectively replaced by Heroic Adventures, which have proper modifiers and give you better rewards if you can finish within the time limit (without kicking you back to orbit for failing to meet it). Too bad they require you to play through the most boring enviroment ever, and the rewards are still terrible.

Edited by Malek86 at 15:51:53 09-01-2018
  • robthehermit 9 Jan 2018 15:51:13 6,571 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having a break from FFXV by playing Homefront. I'll be playing that until the DLC drops for AC Oranges. After that I'll go back and do the FFXV DLC. Also dipping in and out of Path of Exile and I'll probably have a look at Van Helsing 2 this week as well.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Jan 2018 16:07:58 10,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Damn, thanks guys. That all does sound pretty wank. It's amazing they managed to change the stuff that makes you go back and play it. I was curious how that token system would work as only just noticed it exists.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2018 16:14:29 7,027 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Damn, thanks guys. That all does sound pretty wank. It's amazing they managed to change the stuff that makes you go back and play it. I was curious how that token system would work as only just noticed it exists.
    Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if I just kept playing D1 instead (I'd be like those nutsos who still played Everquest years after it became obsolete), if it weren't for the damn PS Plus requirement for most of the good activities. My subscription expires in a couple months and I'm not going to renew it for just one game.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:15:31 09-01-2018
  • GarlVinland 9 Jan 2018 16:33:09 3,190 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've taken a step back from Destiny 2 just to watch the clusterfuck that is Bungie's handling of the game unfold. It's like they went through everything that made the original addictive, if flawed, and surgically removed it. Then aggressively shove microtransactions in your face to rub it in.

There is basically nothing worthwhile you can achieve or earn by actually playing the game. They've somehow taken the basic rush of earning loot and neutered it into oblivion. Incredible. I don't even check Xur's inventory anymore. So sad.
  • wuntyphyve 9 Jan 2018 17:08:05 10,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Such a pity. I'm going to have to at least get to the endgame now to witness it for myself. I'm curious!
  • SuperSoupy 9 Jan 2018 17:11:27 58 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I got through 30 whole seconds of Skyrim VR before my dog chewed through my PSVR cable without me realising!

Can't speak for an all-round experience (nor even a 2 minute experience!), but let me tell you.. those first 30 seconds were great!
  • Dombat 9 Jan 2018 17:14:44 1,307 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PC: Overwatch
    Xbox One: Dark Souls 3
    PS4: FFXII Zodiac Age, GT Sport
    Switch: BOTW

Not exactly trimming the backlog with these games, but I'm enjoying them all and that's what counts.
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2018 18:49:12 7,027 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    I've taken a step back from Destiny 2 just to watch the clusterfuck that is Bungie's handling of the game unfold. It's like they went through everything that made the original addictive, if flawed, and surgically removed it. Then aggressively shove microtransactions in your face to rub it in.

There is basically nothing worthwhile you can achieve or earn by actually playing the game. They've somehow taken the basic rush of earning loot and neutered it into oblivion. Incredible. I don't even check Xur's inventory anymore. So sad.
    At this point, once I find a Powerful chest armor, I'll be at level 335 and effectively lose any reason to keep playing. Not that I won't return occasionally, but yeah, all that's driving me now are the weekly activities (which might become pointless soon) and the occasional special events. Bungie better have lots of special events ready.

Mind, I remember being stuck at 399 LL for like two weeks in D1 because I just couldn't get any good greaves to drop.
  • Deleted user 10 January 2018 08:58:50
    Bought the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD bundle for PS3.

Started Ico last night. So far, so good.
  • GarlVinland 10 Jan 2018 10:07:06 3,190 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Malek86 I couldn't even bring myself to try to reach max level, because I can't find pleasure in the shooting anymore. D1's exotics lived up to the name, the ones in D2 don't have any interesting new mechanics. I hoped CoO would introduce something, anything, to make me want to come back. Instead the new play area literally recycles itself, and 3 of the 4 'new' weapons are basically brought over from D1. It's so lazy as to be off-putting.

The one new thing I wanted was the Dawning armour set, but it's Eververse only and incredibly expensive, and there's no way I would grind hours and hours for the chance at a cosmetic. Last straw for me, don't see myself coming back. I'm sure Bungie don't mind, they have my money already.

Edited by GarlVinland at 10:07:26 10-01-2018
  • the_dudefather 10 Jan 2018 10:51:10 10,804 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jumped into Backlog pile and surfaced with Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

It's been a long time since I played a Prince of Persia game and it's pretty nice and refreshing to go back to one (so far this one feels like the PS2 trilogy), very little fluff and preamble, very quick to get going and the pace is pretty quick.

Would be really nice if they made another one of these one day
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Jan 2018 11:28:03 23,011 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I reconvened Resident Evil R2 on the ps4 last night. Played some Raids ? I think that is it. I was level 3 and joined a lvl 100 player, 3 super fast games later and I'm lvl 16! :) although I wouldn't choose to do that, as I didn't do a stitch, got some good skill points though. My avatars outfit is very booby...she will catch her death ;)

I then played and completed episode 3. Thank god for the recap, I last played in 2015, so remembered very little. Not sure why I have not played this more. I love RE, specially older style ones. Anyway I will play episode 4 over the coming two days. I bought the goty version so have loads more content to play.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 11:28:30 10-01-2018
  • JiveHound 10 Jan 2018 11:41:17 9,500 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm currently addicted to Gungeon. I had it on Xbox but on Switch I've already at least quadrupled my play time. Helps that over xmas there was lots of down time at work so the little Nintendo beauty was a godsend.

Gone back to Overwatch for this seasons placements and......oh dear, we sucked. Kept getting matched against the same team and they were just that little bit better. Not bad games all told but my progress bar is a sorry sight.

Also in mop up mode on Odyssey and wandering around the Dark Souls 3 DLC in co op. Hoping to have that done and dusted for my first 2018 purchase of Monster Hunter World!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.