What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 68

• GarlVinland 10 Jan 2018 12:01:54 3,193 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I've been playing this on Switch too.

Loving Raid Mode, but I came up against a Daily Mission that kept me locked into an area and wouldn't give me the key until all enemies on the other side were dead, except there was limited ammo and one bugger stayed way back hurling gunk at me. Couldn't reach him with just my knife and had to quit after 10-15mins. Uhhh, I may have missed something obvious there but that was a little annoying...fun otherwise though!
  • monsieur-Cosmo 12 Jan 2018 11:23:32 406 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sleeping Dogs on PC. Apart from hand to hand combat (of which there's a bit too much of, I think), I'm having a blast. More fun that I've ever had with a GTA game (though I'll admit I have yet to play the latest one).

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 11:25:12 12-01-2018
  • Malek86 12 Jan 2018 11:35:37 7,031 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've started Shining in the Darkness, gonna give it a good chance this time.

The beginning seems horribly unforgiving, it makes FF1 look like the most casual game ever. For the first couple levels, you'll barely make enough gold from fights to recover your health at the inn, nevermind improving your equipment.
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Jan 2018 13:09:08 2,791 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I was aiming to get Yakuza done by the time monhun is released but find myself playing the mini games for an hour before i do any actually quest stuff.

I am playing I am Setsuna on switch to try to get through some of my backlog.
  • FilthyAnimal 12 Jan 2018 13:29:01 424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    About to start on Lost Sphear, because Squeenix Europe decided to send me my copy two weeks ahead of release, for...reasons.

Heck, I'm not complaining. The only reason I preordered from them directly was because the physical release was supposed to be Square Enix Store only, until they apparently realised that demand was a fair bit higher than expected.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Jan 2018 13:36:27 3,578 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm now in that happy January phase where I'm gradually reducing rather than increasing the number of games I'm actively playing. With a few games recently completed, and a couple more dropped, I'm now down to:

Total War: Warhammer 2 (yet another co-op Mortal Empires campaign)
    Nioh (nearly finished)
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (nearly finished the first game, sequel on standby)
    Mario Odyssey (wrapping up a few stars)
    Super Robot Wars V (very silly, also kind of awesome, though I'm a sucker for both Yamato 2199 and Cross Ange, which helps)
    The Surge (the new expansion)

Probably not buying any more major games now until the PC version of Y's VIII at the end of the month and I'll probably be done with Nioh, The Surge and Mario by then.
  • vanDevious 12 Jan 2018 13:47:30 249 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't played anything other than Persona 5 since getting it at Christmas. I can't believe I wasn't more aware of this when it was out.
  • Zidargh 12 Jan 2018 15:02:09 1,917 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not quite on topic but this thread's spurred the thought. Am I the only one that probably spends more time reading about games than actually playing them?
  • Armoured_Bear 12 Jan 2018 15:04:27 22,625 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    Not quite on topic but this thread's spurred the thought. Am I the only one that probably spends more time reading about games than actually playing them?
    Nope although Switch should be helping reduce it.
  • Technoishmatt 12 Jan 2018 15:12:12 2,599 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nothing, cos Phattso wonít let me buy any games.

(Actually, PUBG, RSS, TF2)
  • rice_sandwich 12 Jan 2018 15:27:47 4,557 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm dipping in and out of Pinball FX 3 but haven't got a main game on the go. I fired up Skyrim this morning so I might get back into it before starting something new.
  • FilthyAnimal 12 Jan 2018 15:48:33 424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Funnily enough I gave the Switch version of Pinball FX 3 a go ("bought" the two free tables while the offer was going) while I was in the UK and I was roundly disappointed with it - 30fps refresh and shockingly bad lighting. When I got back to Germany though, I gave it a go in docked mode and the difference was night and day - 60fps refresh and visuals that are much closer to the PS4 version (not sure if 900p or 1080p).

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 15:48:50 12-01-2018
  • Dombat 12 Jan 2018 15:53:52 1,309 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zidargh wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that's the case for me. I certainly spend more time reading about and watching games combined than playing them.
  • Humperfunk 12 Jan 2018 16:00:01 7,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still smashing Breath of the Wild, but have started playing Mario Kart 8 again almost religiously at some point every night and loving it as much as ever.
  • Nitrous 12 Jan 2018 20:33:25 1,691 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Xbox/PC/Vita: nothing

PS4: swapping between dying light I got last year and the last of us on new game plus mode.
  • Deleted user 13 January 2018 12:46:31
    PGR 4
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Jan 2018 13:14:37 5,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I've started Shining in the Darkness, gonna give it a good chance this time.

The beginning seems horribly unforgiving, it makes FF1 look like the most casual game ever. For the first couple levels, you'll barely make enough gold from fights to recover your health at the inn, nevermind improving your equipment.
    I have very fond memories of this game. From the anticipation of waiting for its release date after reading reviews in magazines, to finally holding the premium priced Mega Drive cartridge in my hands (was just before Christmas I think), to my mind being blown by its slick production values (3D dungeons on a console that don't look like shit!).

It's probably on the repetitive side compared to other similar titles, but I managed to complete it back then with a lot of persistence, mind. Fair amount of grinding involved... can still hum the soundtrack today as I spent so many hours with it.
  • Vortex808 13 Jan 2018 13:17:32 12,368 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PUBG
    Wolfenstein 2
    a little Rocket League on the side. Milked it on PS4, but been chipping away at it again on xbox for the last year after our boy forced me to get it on both systems. Still so much fun to be had in it. :)
  • Malek86 13 Jan 2018 13:44:19 7,031 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll yeah, persistence seems to be it. I've managed to defeat the first boss so far, and got my other party members. If item prices don't suddenly go up, I think I should be in a good enough position (the Inn and Angel Feathers at this point have become cheap enough to recoup the price after a couple battles).

It seems to be an interesting amalgamation of both western and japanese RPG tropes. We don't see this kind of stuff all that often, not even in more recent games. It looks pleasant enough on the eyes, despite its age. Love the character design too. The music is actually pretty good. All these elements were never enough to make me willing to face the grind, but I will try and resist this time.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:47:59 13-01-2018
  • samharper 13 Jan 2018 15:01:48 997 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still playing Nier (360), kinda dropped everything else to get it done now as I've done ending A but need to get B, C and D as well. The cutscenes are great and the spear makes the combat fun but repeating the last 5 hours 4 times isn't particularly fun.
  • ghearoid 14 Jan 2018 12:23:23 2,998 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Kirby's Epic Yarn Wii - the recent announcement of Kirby for Switch reminded me that I'd never played this (picked it up used for £8 last year).

I am terrible at 2D platformers so Kirby is kind of at my level. I've already run into difficulty in some stages lmao :)

Also playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2, doing post game stuff, maxing out affinity charts etc. Still enjoying this very much.

Edited by ghearoid at 12:45:17 14-01-2018
  • Deleted user 14 January 2018 12:29:02
    Zelda LBTW on my 2ds XL. Just got the master sword :)
    Besides that it's Rhythm paradise megamix. That's too addictive.
  • Malek86 14 Jan 2018 12:56:57 7,031 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just finished the 12th mission in Alien Isolation. Looking at the achievements, it seems there should be some 18-19 missions.

I can see why people talk of fatigue, but still, there are usually a few good ideas thrown in to mix things up.
  • MadCaddy13 14 Jan 2018 16:52:50 2,899 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sniper Elite 4

So far I have done the first mission. First impressions are that itís very promising that Iíll be playing this for the foreseeable.
    Nice graphics, ai seems pretty good and the maps are really good - a lot of angles to go about the mission
    Bought the deluxe package so I have all the bells and whistles but didnít realise I had to download everything induvidually until after mission completion!
  • Quint 14 Jan 2018 17:45:51 53 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Legend of Heroes : Trails in the sky 3rd

Getting close to the end, just realized I had about 250 won battles when it's time to leave for the final area which is pretty far from the 400 required to open one of the magical doors in the game so currently running around low level areas looking for quick fights, the haze quartz (or versions of it) makes it just a bit to easy to avoid fights :)

Not a big fan of the general "layout" of the third game, prefer the more classical moving between cities etc found in the previous ones over this where it pretty much from the start becomes obvious that the entire game revolves around trudging through an incredibly long dungeon with a hub you can return to for rest and shop, but it's still a great game.
  • Malek86 17 Jan 2018 20:01:52 7,031 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Still going through Shining in the Darkness and it's actually become a lot easier now. I didn't even need to grind, just filling out the entire map seems to be enough to give me tons of exp and gold.

I thought it was more hardcore than FF1, but aside from the start, there's no comparison really. Maybe it will get more difficult again later.

Anyway, I appreciate that it managed to make me play another JRPG. It's been three years since the last one, not counting FF15 because it's too different.

Edited by Malek86 at 20:03:20 17-01-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jan 2018 20:33:52 23,025 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    MadCaddy13 wrote:
    Sniper Elite 4

So far I have done the first mission. First impressions are that itís very promising that Iíll be playing this for the foreseeable.
    Nice graphics, ai seems pretty good and the maps are really good - a lot of angles to go about the mission
    Bought the deluxe package so I have all the bells and whistles but didnít realise I had to download everything induvidually until after mission completion!
    Playing the dlc now, completed the campaign. Brilliant game and series that continues to improve. Loads of content as well 😊
  • TheMayorOfJugs 18 Jan 2018 07:55:41 6,489 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slay the Spire.

Turn based roguelike card battler. Digital crack.
  • Graxlar_v3 18 Jan 2018 08:06:55 2,791 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yakuza 0 - The plan was to get this off my backlog before the release of monster hunter world...

It started off poorly with me spending entire evenings playing darts/pool/bowling basically just dicking about. I finally started the story and made some progress but then along come the property management sim and eventually the trouble finder (flags up sub stories). Last night i stalled at the end of chapter 10... i spent 5 hours clearing out side quests and building my empire so i now have control of Leisure, Entertainment and Pleasure and rather than looking to continue the story tonight, all i can think about is continuing my domination and starting to take over Gambling.

Seriously Yakuza 0 is the best game i didnt play in 2017 :(

oh and i am plugging away at i am setsuna during my lunch breaks, its just a bit dull right now :(

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 08:08:12 18-01-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.