What Are You Currently Playing? (V 3.0; The Re-Postening) Page 73

• Graxlar_v3 5 Mar 2018 17:43:15 3,537 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    coomber wrote:
    b0rk wrote:
    Mass Effect: Andromeda

The Internet told me this was shit but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game so much. Staying up to 4am, feels like back in the day. Memes and lofty expectation killed the franchise but Mass Effect didn't deserve to die because of Andromeda.
    Agree. Andromeda may not have lived up to the previous entries but it is still a good game. I'm hoping there's still life left in Mass Effect.
    Yeah, I wouldnít hold my breath
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Mar 2018 22:11:29 23,231 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @superbob85
    Told you it was great fun, 2 is better as well :)
  • DrStrangelove 6 Mar 2018 21:13:10 13,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Virtual Pool 4.

I was looking for a good pool/snooker sim that's as close as possible to the real thing, for both fun and improving my real play. Tried a few demos and an open source one and was surprised how difficult it seems to get the physics and camera control right. From what I've seen and tried, this seemed best. Also turned out to be the most expensive one at Ä23, but it was definitely worth it.

Many billiards games seem to focus on getting ever shinier graphics, not so this one, it focusses on what matters. It's got a ton of different game types/rulesets, great tables of different sizes and with different characteristics, as well as a lot of customisation options for rules, tables, and controls.

Another really great thing are the video tutorials for learning all the professional techniques. Again with outdated video quality etc., but extremely helpful.

Menus are really outdated, they look and feel like what you'd expect from a Win98 game. However aside from being ugly and sluggish they do the job. Pool Nation FX for example had shiny menus but their layout was extremely frustrating.

If you're looking for a deep, realistic, no-BS billiards sim, greatly recommended.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:17:18 06-03-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Mar 2018 21:16:18 23,797 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Switch
    Yakuza 0 on PS4
  • DrStrangelove 6 Mar 2018 21:26:44 13,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    coomber wrote:
    b0rk wrote:
    Mass Effect: Andromeda

The Internet told me this was shit but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a game so much. Staying up to 4am, feels like back in the day. Memes and lofty expectation killed the franchise but Mass Effect didn't deserve to die because of Andromeda.
    Agree. Andromeda may not have lived up to the previous entries but it is still a good game. I'm hoping there's still life left in Mass Effect.
    Agree too. Certainly got problems, and if you're expecting great world building and story/character stuff like in ME1/2, you'll likely be disappointed. Also, too many "go there, press A, then go there, press A, etc." bullshit quests.

But you also get marvellous gameplay, combat mechanics are so good that I find it difficult to return to the trilogy now. It's also got exploration that actually deserves this term (unlike ME1--which at least tried unlike ME2+3). Again, I can see why people were disappointed because it was bad at what they expected, but there's a huge lot of fun here.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:28:55 06-03-2018
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Mar 2018 22:13:09 3,880 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just started FF15 on PC. Bloody hell, this is amazing. Yes, it took some settings tweaking to get performance right, but my god it looks and feels good. I settled on running in 4k with 75% resolution scaling (so 1440p rendering res) and ultra settings. Gets me a solid 60fps.

Kicking myself now. Should never have played this on PS4. This is clearly the way to experience this game. Graphics beat Witcher 3 in places.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Mar 2018 07:08:21 4,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Still with Story of Seasons Trio of Towns on the 3ds and messing around with Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa on the pc. I should probably read the 300 page manual to get a grip on the finer points. The basics are easy enough.

I'm still debating what pc gaming is for in terms of genre. I often feel like I'm wasting my time with pc games as they're such time sinks.

Nothing on the Switch for me at the moment as I don't feel like jumping into any of the longer games right now.
  • Malek86 7 Mar 2018 07:42:39 7,146 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just started Ratchet and Clank, it looks very nice, although the gameplay feels like it could get repetitive and the shooting is not particularly tight.
  • TOOTR 7 Mar 2018 18:40:29 10,426 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Subnautica on steam - have lost hours of immersive fun to it already. It is phenomenal.
  • TAJB 8 Mar 2018 18:17:40 1,221 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just started Bloodborne. I'm not a veteran Souls player so the actual gameplay is quite confusing. No explanations for stats is quite strange but I get that this is going to be a learning experience. Enjoyed the first hour or so even though I have died more times than I can count.
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Mar 2018 23:09:58 21,888 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TAJB which weapon did you choose? There are scaling stats for each weapon and they go from S through A to E.

To understand the different stats you press start when in a menu amd move to the stat in question.

Nip over to the thread with any questions.
  • Malek86 9 Mar 2018 10:49:31 7,146 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So far, Blood and Wine is like the abridged version of The Witcher 3, with a little less huge maps and a little more optimism. Nice.

Between the base game, Hearts of Stone, and then Blood and Wine, my standards for good DLCs have just increased by a whole lot.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Mar 2018 16:37:20 13,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Malek86

A "little more" optimism? Felt like the opposite of the main game to me
  • Darth_Flibble 9 Mar 2018 18:17:21 3,109 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fable Anniversary

Feels more like an action-RPG than the 2 and 3rd game (which were PM to death)
    It would of been nice if the mechanics were tighter like the combat and the map was better. Also some bad glitches still, also you can't fail an quest or if you start one you can't leave the area unless you load a save. This can be annoying as some quests feel a bit high level like the awful hobbess cave (where the game camera glitched on me)

Its on game pass, well worth a play, you just have to remember its old game with touched up graphics. It would of been nice if they really improved on the gameplay

Bloodborne
    Just started this, gave up dark souls 1 ages ago but so far enjoying this, almost killed that werewolf at the start by punching it to death. Combat feels better and like the world design
  • Rodney 9 Mar 2018 19:18:20 3,545 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Witcher 3, mixed with a bit of Crackdown.

Loving both of them. Crackdown has aged brilliantly. Itís definitely showing itís age in some regards but just as much fun as it ever was. The only game where I enjoy hunting collectables.

Looking forward to playing Far Cry 5 soon
  • Malek86 10 Mar 2018 09:22:36 7,146 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DrStrangelove there's still tons of people getting quartered, bandits raping and pillaging everywhere, and the overall theme so far seems to be that the country's fixation with fairy tales isn't working out all that well for them, at least so far.

It's much less of a craphole than the main game, but it's still no high fantasy for sure.
  • DrStrangelove 10 Mar 2018 18:08:45 13,023 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Malek86

You're right. I think what I had in mind most was the setting. It's this sort of French/mediterranean paradise, painted in bright colours, with everyone enjoying love and wine and celebrating life etc., very light-hearted for the most part. Whenever I returned to Velen, the game suddenly shoved in my face again how grim and shit and miserable everything and everyone is. Just one loading screen separates opposite extremes, always found that a little irritating, as if it were two entirely different games.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:13:49 10-03-2018
  • MadCaddy13 10 Mar 2018 20:26:09 2,939 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing a couple of missions on Max Payne on the 360.

They need to work on another one straight after RDR2!
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Mar 2018 11:15:47 7,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RE7: Beginning Hour

Maybe it's because I was out last night and didn't get much sleep but despite having played it before and knowing it's a bit of a walking simulator in a lot of respects I'm typing this while having a time out from how tense this has made me feel.

So much atmosphere, such a brilliantly creepy setting, plays it's cliches perfectly.
  • Malek86 12 Mar 2018 22:45:57 7,146 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, since I got it free on Twitch and I'm not really playing anything else atm, I'm going through DMC1 again. It's a bog-standard port, probably didn't spend a lot of time on it. The default keyboard control scheme is something to behold. Not that I expect anyone to actually play this with the keyboard, but still. Why would you map the left and right bumpers to N and Space?

You should probably enable anisotropic filtering from the GPU control panel. That alone will make the picture quality a lot better.

And remember guys, always power up the Stinger first.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 12 Mar 2018 23:15:18 3,880 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played a bit more Celeste this evening. Mostly like the platforming, but wish every dialogue scene didn't make me want to do some murders.

FF15 on PC is glorious, especially with the added content for the PC version. The new story scenes (also now in the PS4 version as post-launch DLC) help a bit, but I grinned so widely my face almost exploded when the music player in the Regalia suddenly started playing "Weight of the World" from Nier: Automata.

Half a dozen missions into my NG+ on Super Robot Wars V. They've got an interesting take on NG+ in this. Pilots do not retain levels/xp. You can pick five upgrade items to carry over. However, all of the cash you have spent upgrading mechs and all of the skillpoints you've invested in character upgrades are refunded. It makes NG+ (which doesn't scale up enemy levels) easier, but not trivial. To compensate, I've bumped the difficulty up to hard (which adds a few more mid-mission dialogue scenes). Sadly, I'm less impressed by the DLC missions. They give nice rewards, but are a bit thin and disjointed. Not sure it was worth the hassle of creating a Singaporean PSN account and then spending £35 on pre-pay PSN cards for that store.

Also tried Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash now it's on PC (yes, I'm not afraid to admit I like this series). Major disappointment, though. The main-series games had built the best Musou-style combat going. The depth and responsiveness of the combat mechanics in Estival Versus is really impressive (it mixes traditional Musou mechanics with a series of breaks, counters and other mechanics borrowed from fighting games). PBS, on the other hand, is a crappy third person shooter with massively overdone auto-aim. It hasn't survived the genre transition at all. Shame, as some of the promo material made it look like Splatoon with boobs.

Edited by Rogueywon at 23:19:30 12-03-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.